Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile broadband speed after first month

Options
  • 21-11-2017 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

I would like to know if eir are throttling broadband after the first month. My mobile broadband (fixed router, 30 euro, 50gb per month bill pay) was great in the first month (September). My speedtest app for that month shows results of 10 - 14Mb. But after the first month my app shows results of 7-10Mb. The service is consistently worse now, even though I am still being charged 30 euro.

This is not the first time I have ended up with a "service" in this country that delivers what it promises only for new customers (during their trial period?). I also had this problem with Three mobile broadband, which eventually became literally unusable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

gezley wrote: »
    I would like to know if eir are throttling broadband after the first month. My mobile broadband (fixed router, 30 euro, 50gb per month bill pay) was great in the first month (September). My speedtest app for that month shows results of 10 - 14Mb. But after the first month my app shows results of 7-10Mb. The service is consistently worse now, even though I am still being charged 30 euro.

This is not the first time I have ended up with a "service" in this country that delivers what it promises only for new customers (during their trial period?). I also had this problem with Three mobile broadband, which eventually became literally unusable.
    Hi gezley,

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your service. I can assure you that we do not make any changes to our customers' service after they are out of their cooling off period. Can you restart your device and let me know if this improves your service, please?

- Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭gezley

eir: Adam wrote: »

Hi gezley,

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your service. I can assure you that we do not make any changes to our customers' service after they are out of their cooling off period. Can you restart your device and let me know if this improves your service, please?

- Adam
    I have restarted the b315 router. I have also tried the SIM in a b593 router and a Teltonika Rut955 router. I have a roof-mounted omni-directional antenna. No difference. No point getting me to do all the obvious - I worked as a PC and network tech for 15 years so I have a fair idea what can go wrong.

Today I have been getting around 1 meg speed down.  Under two months ago I was getting 10-14 ***consistently*** -- without fail. You can tell me all you like that you change nothing at your end but something has changed and that something wasn't at my end. Do I have to post all the speedtest results I've been getting over the past 2-3 months?

I also have another problem - I have been charged 18 euro or thereabouts because the direct debit was returned, even though I paid the amount by credit card beforehand. I possibly did not do it in time for the direct debit but still - 18 euro seems excessive when the 30 euro bill was honoured before it was due. I wanted to change the account debited. I rang to do so and I *think* the support agent changed it but I had to spell An Post for him so I'm not sure how much he knew. The my.eir website is just about useless because a) it doesn't allow you to specify An Post as a bank account for your direct debit and b) it doesn't tell you what account will be debited when you change your details. Par for the course in Ireland these days. Seems all the grads leaving uni are as close to illiterate and innumerate as it's possible to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

eir: Adam wrote: »

Hi gezley,

- Adam
    I have restarted the b315 router. I have also tried the SIM in a b593 router and a Teltonika Rut955 router. I have a roof-mounted omni-directional antenna. No difference. No point getting me to do all the obvious - I worked as a PC and network tech for 15 years so I have a fair idea what can go wrong.

Today I have been getting around 1 meg speed down.  Under two months ago I was getting 10-14 ***consistently*** -- without fail. You can tell me all you like that you change nothing at your end but something has changed and that something wasn't at my end. Do I have to post all the speedtest results I've been getting over the past 2-3 months?

I also have another problem - I have been charged 18 euro or thereabouts because the direct debit was returned, even though I paid the amount by credit card beforehand. I possibly did not do it in time for the direct debit but still - 18 euro seems excessive when the 30 euro bill was honoured before it was due. I wanted to change the account debited. I rang to do so and I *think* the support agent changed it but I had to spell An Post for him so I'm not sure how much he knew. The my.eir website is just about useless because a) it doesn't allow you to specify An Post as a bank account for your direct debit and b) it doesn't tell you what account will be debited when you change your details. Par for the course in Ireland these days. Seems all the grads leaving uni are as close to illiterate and innumerate as it's possible to be.
    Hi,

Thanks for getting back in touch. I was not aware that you had restarted your device or tried your SIM in a different device. These are standard troubleshooting techniques that are required to be carried out by anybody who is experiencing issues with their service before we can investigate further. 

Can you PM me your number, PIN and full name, please? I'll look into your service issues and the unpaid direct debit fee for you.

- Adam

Advertisement