Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hilariously Bad Striker's Seasons

• 21-11-2017 9:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭

I remember Ade Akinbiyi's 2001/2002 for Leicester City being particularly awful with countless hilarious misses. I have a feeling this is the worst season I have seen from a striker playing at a high level and starting regularly.

Are there some other examples you can think of? Not including bit part players and those who barely played.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I remember Ade Akinbiyi's 2001/2002 for Leicester City being particularly awful with countless hilarious misses. I have a feeling this is the worst season I have seen from a striker playing at a high level and

I feel like I'm missing the punchline

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I remember Ade Akinbiyi's 2001/2002 for Leicester City being particularly awful with countless hilarious misses. I have a feeling this is the worst season I have seen from a striker playing at a high level and

I feel like I'm missing the punchline
    No idea what you are on about. Don't derail the thread. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I remember Ade Akinbiyi's 2001/2002 for Leicester City being particularly awful with countless hilarious misses. I have a feeling this is the worst season I have seen from a striker playing at a high level and starting regularly.

Are there some other examples you can think of? Not including bit part players and those who barely played.

Ronaldo, la liga this year.

1 goal and about 60+ shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Emile Heskey for the majority of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Emile Heskey for the majority of his career.

Going back to Anfield some years back, it's half time and liverpool are 2-0 down, the players are all sitting around on their benches and there's a huge stinking turn right in the middle of the room.

Gerard Houllier walks in "Who's shit on the floor"

Emile Heskey "That'll be me boss, but i'm not too bad in the air"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Not a bad striker, but Radamel Falcao's stint at Old Trafford was horrendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Shane Long during 2017

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

Diego Forlan at United was terrible for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Altidore at Sunderland.

31 league games in his first season with just one goal.

11 games in the next without scoring and promptly sold to Toronto in the January transfer window in a swap with Defoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Soldado, Postiga and Rebrov at Spurs.

All good players. Just terrible at Spurs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

El-Hadji Diouf at LIverpool in 03/04 - first Liverpool number 9 to go a whole season without scoring.

Carsten Jancker had a few horrible seasons, but most interestingly 01/02 where he didn't score a single goal for Bayern Munich, and yet still got into the German team for World Cup 2002.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Mateja Kezman at Chelsea didn't pull up any trees (he was terrible and converting chances) more or less the entire time he was there, but I really liked him.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Mateja Kezman at Chelsea didn't pull up any trees (he was terrible and converting chances) more or less the entire time he was there, but I really liked him.

Torres at Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Torres at Chelsea

Can't really argue with that, he wasn't great. But he did do this.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Shevchenko, came to Chelsea after scoring 127 goals in 226 appearances for Milan , scored 9 in 48 for Chelsea and back to Milan on loan to score 0 in 18. I know that is alot more than a season but he came with a big price and big expectations and didn't deliver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

VillaMad wrote: »
    Altidore at Sunderland.

11 games in the next without scoring and promptly sold to Toronto in the January transfer window in a swap with Defoe.
    He'd had a similarly crap record when on loan at Hull a few years earlier. 1 in 28.

One I always remember is Ger Rowe at Wanderers around 2008. A lot was made about the fact that we'd paid money for him (I never heard what the exact amount was but it wouldn't have been more than 10k) and there were high expectations, though I don't recall him as ever being someone who scored bags of goals. It just didn't happen for him, he picked up a few goals but he never looked comfortable with how we were playing. I think he was outshone by Andy Myler that season, not that he was banging them in either but he impressed me more.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

David Scully got more red cards than league goals in his first season for Bohs.

His second ddn't go much better.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Not a bad striker, but Radamel Falcao's stint at Old Trafford was horrendous.

He was even worse at Chelsea :o

I seen his only Chelsea league goal, a loss to Palace which was the next home game after Jose dug out the medical staff for treating Hazard in a draw with Swansea.

Chelsea and bad, underwhelming or under performing CFs go hand in hand.

Torres, Kezman, Pizzaro, Shevchenko and Sutton to name just a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Ibrahim bakayoka Everton. Big 4.5m signing in 1998. 4 goals for the season

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Listening to Football Weekly and they were saying Berahino is on a horrible run of something like 2500 minutes without a goal.

Barry Glendenning was listing out all the film trilogies you could have watched in that time, was pretty hilarious :D

Carroll, Shevchenko and Torres come to mind, certainly not the worst, but when the fee is taken into account they were pretty spectacular failures.

Forlan at United is maybe the one that comes most to mind as being like a running joke / figure of fun about how hopeless he was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

We've seen a few at the Arsenal over the years. Francis Jeffers, Kaba Diawara, Park Chu-Young, Marouane Chamakh. Take your pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Mario Jardel, had over 200 league goals in less than 200 games across Europe. Came to Bolton and didn't get Premier league goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

He's got a pineapple on his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Altidore at Sunderland.

This is the answer.

The best/worst thing about it was that he was working his arse off every game, but just couldn't hit the back of the net. A miss away to Cardiff and at home to a West Ham summed it all up.

Swapping him for Defoe is one of the best pieces of transfer business in Premier League history.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Tony Cascarino.... Villa's record purchase at the time...1 goal in 46 games.

They made up " I've seen Tony Cascarino score" t-shirts at one stage!! Also got the nick name...Tony Cantscoreino...:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Ibrahim bakayoka Everton. Big 4.5m signing in 1998. 4 goals for the season

In his defense, he was 58 years old

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Alas before anyone else gets in I'd better mention the original

Garry Birtles (phone want me to post "Bottles" for some reason :pac:) at United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

We've had our share of career thieves masquerading as strikers at City down the years. Wilfried Bony, Roque Santa Cruz, Bernardo Corradi, Georgios "he looked brilliant on youtube" Samaras, Tony Cunningham, Trevor Christie, David Cross etc etc. Christ, I can feel the will to live slipping away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Franny Jeffers at Arsenal.
    Martin Dahlin,Corrado Grabbi,Franny Jeffers and Kevin Davies all Blackburn.

Bosko Balaban at Villa.
    Bebe at United.

Brett Angell at Everton
    Andriy Voronin, Sean Dundee at Liverpool.

• Advertisement

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Franny Jeffers at Arsenal.
    Martin Dahlin,Corrado Grabbi,Franny Jeffers and Kevin Davies all Blackburn.

Bosko Balaban at Villa.
    Bebe at United.

Brett Angell at Everton
    Andriy Voronin, Sean Dundee at Liverpool.

Given what the OP is above I'm not sure why you listed the below.

Balaban played 8 games for Villa.
    Dundee 3 games for Liverpool.
    Bebe 2 games for United

Altidore at Sunderland.

Danny Graham for Sunderland was shocking too,
    37 games and 1 goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Esse85 wrote: »

Given what the OP is above I'm not sure why you listed the below.

Balaban played 8 games for Villa.
    Dundee 3 games for Liverpool.
    Bebe 2 games for United

Those players were brought in on high transfers at the time maybe not Sean Dundee.
    They were expected to perform and score goals but never materialised.
    They ended up being bit part players I suppose so I take your point.

Advertisement