Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle advice

Options
  • 21-11-2017 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi

Im 15 and planning to cycle from where I live in westmeath to a relatives house in Mayo. It's an 80k cycle. The longest I have done so far is 40k but I'm planning to build up to longer distances over time as I'm hoping to do this cycle next summer. Ill be cycling on back roads or less busy roads. Rest of the family will drive and I'll meet them there. I'll be doing this cycle alone.

Just wondering how i should prepare for it , would it be safe and just. Bit of advice

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

40 to 80 is easy enough to build up to, especially with the timeframe given.

Get used to and confident in drinking from a bidon on the move. Keeping hydrated is important.

Carry, and know how to use basic tools for things like punctures and minor adjustments, just in case they're needed.

Have suitable lights, again just in case.

Know your route, and expected waypoints (towns villages and so on) possibly knowing where you may stop for a while to refuel.

After that, enjoy the experience of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭R.dufy454773

Thanks for that , will do

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

At a guess, it sounds like you may be leaving from Athlone/Lough Ree area to the Claremorris/Ballyhaunis area based on the 80km you mention.

Plenty of 'less busy roads' around there. It might be a good idea to check your route on ridewithgps.com (or similar) to check for gradients.

robynmorton's advice is excellent - you need to be self sufficient to a decent extent to make small repairs and replace a tube.

Would it be safe.....? I'd say so. No harm to try the route as you build up the 80km. Maybe go 15, 20, 25 or 30km on the route you plan to get familiar with the road and any junctions while at the same time increasing your distance.

Best of luck with it - you've loads of time to build up to the 80km. You'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭R.dufy454773

Hi crosstown

Thanks for the advice , appreciate it.

I'll be going from around the Ballymahon area to Ballaghaderreen area. Should be pretty flat and plenty of routes and back roads to choose from

Advertisement