Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage approced but can’t afford a house

Options
  • 21-11-2017 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Myself & my partner have been mortgage approved for a few months now. Our budget is approx 280,000 yet it seems we can’t afford anything anymore. We’ve been outbid on numerous houses starting at 210,000 - is it possible for young couples to ever afford a house any time soon?! Any advice / experience appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

I'll sell you my house for eur280k. Only 90 mins from dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Myself & my partner have been mortgage approved for a few months now. Our budget is approx 280,000 yet it seems we can’t afford anything anymore. We’ve been outbid on numerous houses starting at 210,000 - is it possible for young couples to ever afford a house any time soon?! Any advice / experience appreciated!

Are you saying that houses listed at 210k are going for in excess of 280k?
    Where are you looking to buy?

Edit: To answer your question re: tips. You need to save. I mean really save. As much as you can, be as frugal as you can. We did that for 3yrs. It was kind of horrible at times, but we knew it was only a short term thing so we were able to stick it.

I've no doubt that you are saving, but I also bet you could save more. I thought I was saving loads until I started writing down all my expenditure. It turned out I was spending a lot more than I realised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

If you’re outbid it’s not a new house you’re taking about

Things to consider if you buy new:

1) get FTB Grant which helps with 5% of deposit (only if you’re both FTB’s)

2) The price is the price. No bids, nice and clean that way

The other thing is that new builds are few and far between depending on where you’re based

€280k will definitely land you something outside the capital. Inside Dublin and it’ll be a stretch

Happy Hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Well it all depends on what area you want to live. You cant have everything you want, so you either wait and save to buy in an area that is more expensive, or you move your location.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Henbabani

Hi, how many bedrooms are you looking at?
    apartment or detached?
    i saw a lot of ads for 2BDR in city center for 220-250K, i guess you can find one for 280K.
    if you looking for 3BDR apartment i guess you will have to go out from city center or even from D1-8 to D9-24 areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Look at apartments and duplexes, particularly those built at the tail end of the boom and since. These tend to be bigger, have storage and be more suitable for long term living.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

more detail required.
    where are you trying to buy? if it's in Leitrim them something is amiss. if it's in dublin then what areas are you looking and what types of house are you considering?

everyone wants a semi d in D6,8,16,18.
    fact is everyone can't afford it. many have not accepted this. it's the capital, some areas are going to be vastly more expensive.
    similarly, everyone wants a semi d or a detatach. again, this is a luxury nowadays not everyone can have, particularly in the capital. loom at your budget and set expectations accordingly. if you can't accept not living in an expensive area or having a house without certain features, then you're stuck.

I have friends who won't consider anything but a semi d in dundrum but are only willing to go to a certain price. they will never get a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

If the OP is searching in Dublin then he will have to look at less desirable areas within Tallaght/Clondalkin /Finglas /Ballyfermot/Ballymun/Balbriggan. You won't even get a decent 2 up 2 down ex-council house in Crumlin /Drimnagh /Kimmage for under €300k anymore (unless it's in bits).

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

Still a bit around Crumlin for under €300,000 tbh but then again numbers and photos on t'interweb tells a different story to a dozen or so kids hanging outside your house on a Friday night up to all sorts of mallarkey....:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

MSVforever wrote: »
    If the OP is searching in Dublin then he will have to look at less desirable areas within Tallaght/Clondalkin /Finglas /Ballyfermot/Ballymun/Balbriggan. You won't even get a decent 2 up 2 down ex-council house in Crumlin /Drimnagh /Kimmage for under €300k anymore (unless it's in bits).

+1

OP , No idea where you're looking, but if its inside the M50 or in a part of south Dublin where you're not afraid to walk the streets at night then theres not a hope of anything for 280k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

OP , No idea where you're looking, but if its inside the M50 or in a part of south Dublin where you're not afraid to walk the streets at night then theres not a hope of anything for 280k
    Agreed. If it's sub €250k inside the M50, it's either a complete sh|thole or you'll be living next to either
    • Travllers
    • Drug Dealers
    • Gangsters

Next questions; does you and your other half work north or south side? And do you have a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

the_syco wrote: »
    Agreed. If it's sub €250k inside the M50, it's either a complete sh|thole or you'll be living next to either
    • Travllers
    • Drug Dealers
    • Gangsters

Most likely all of the above

• Travllers
    • Drug Dealers
    • Gangsters

Next questions; does you and your other half work north or south side? And do you have a car?
    you can't find in this budget 2BDR apartment somewhere nicer?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

This thread peaked my interest as I've long since lost interest in the Irish property market. I'm surprised at some of the more recent statements about €300k can get you. Based on which I had a quick check of the old 'hood of Walkinstown (nice middle of the road "working class" area, not rough, not snooty, inside m50, not far from city center ).

Right now, there are only two 3 bed houses for < €280k on daft. That's madness. The nicer of the two needs some modernisation. The other one only has one picture (says a lot) and it's a house I have knowledge of from childhood - it'll need substantial work.

So yeah, sorry OP, bleak times. I hear Kilcullen is nice

theteal wrote: »
    This thread peaked my interest as I've long since lost interest in the Irish property market. I'm surprised at some of the more recent statements about €300k can get you. Based on which I had a quick check of the old 'hood of Walkinstown (nice middle of the road "working class" area, not rough, not snooty, inside m50, not far from city center ).

Right now, there are only two 3 bed houses for < €280k on daft. That's madness. The nicer of the two needs some modernisation. The other one only has one picture (says a lot) and it's a house I have knowledge of from childhood - it'll need substantial work.

So yeah, sorry OP, bleak times. I hear Kilcullen is nice
    what about 2-3 bdr apartments?
    there's a lot in the budget of 300k

Henbabani wrote: »

I don't know of the OP's needs but I would go to a lot of effort to avoid being stuck raising a family in an Irish apartment

I don't know of the OP's needs but I would go to a lot of effort to avoid being stuck raising a family in an Irish apartment
    If everyone wants to raise their family in house rather than apartments, in 2-3 years the land in the capital will be gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Tenigate wrote: »
    I'll sell you my house for eur280k. Only 90 mins from dublin

5am Sunday morning in a veyron

If everyone wants to raise their family in house rather than apartments, in 2-3 years the land in the capital will be gone.

My issue wouldn't be with apartments in general, just the current Irish incarnation of such. Improve the size and quality of apartments and a lot of Irish people would be more than willing to change their views.

In saying all that, I'd have no issues with moving out to the Kildare 'burbs - a better train service would make it more attractive though

My issue wouldn't be with apartments in general, just the current Irish incarnation of such. Improve the size and quality of apartments and a lot of Irish people would be more than willing to change their views.

In saying all that, I'd have no issues with moving out to the Kildare 'burbs - a better train service would make it more attractive though

Newer apartments are better for this. The building regs changed at the tail end of the boom and energy standards, minimum sizes, storage requirements etc. improved as a result.

They can be hard to find but there are apartments worth considering out there. Dublin has grown massively in the last 30 years. We need to get away from the idea that everyone can live in a house.

• Advertisement

Newer apartments are better for this. The building regs changed at the tail end of the boom and energy standards, minimum sizes, storage requirements etc. improved as a result.

They can be hard to find but there are apartments worth considering out there. Dublin has grown massively in the last 30 years. We need to get away from  the idea that everyone can live in a house.
    good view.
    i can tell that here in Israel most of the people in Tel Aviv area grow up families in apartments.
    a regular 3BDR aparment(here in Israel we subject it as 4 BDR because we count the living room as a room, don't ask me why) is 85-100 sqm.
    In my flights to europe i used airbnb few times and i have to say i saw 3-4 bdr apartment really small(Budapest, Prague, Bucharest) but i guess it's only a matter of habit, people must make the switch in Ireland and precisely in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

In my flights to europe i used airbnb few times and i have to say i saw 3-4 bdr apartment really small(Budapest, Prague, Bucharest) but i guess it's only a matter of habit, people must make the switch in Ireland and precisely in Dublin.
    I wonder if all of them being either communist rule or ex-Soviet Bloc affected how they built apartments?
    Are there any requirements for green spaces that children can use?

Are there any requirements for green spaces that children can use?

Not sure if it has the force of law vs a guideline but it's covered here:
    https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/apartment_guidelines_21122015.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

If you're hellbent on Dublin, just wait and keep saving even if it means reapplying for a mortgage.

When you can't get somewhere for under 300 in D12, don't enter the market.

Put it this way, my friend bought a house in Dublin about 5 years ago for 220. They're now selling for about 375.

What's the rush?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/donabate/12-station-court-donabate-dublin-1465654/

That would be within your budget. Nice quiet village with a good train line to city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Sleepy wrote: »
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/donabate/12-station-court-donabate-dublin-1465654/

That would be within your budget. Nice quiet village with a good train line to city centre.

Id be wary about buying downstairs in this type of develpment. Id seek clarification of the construction of the roof between the upper and lower apartments and be sure to view when the tennants upstairs are in and moving around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 janeysorcha

Thanks all! We were hoping to buy in the D12 area but it seems that everything is 300K+

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ninja_Go

Thanks all! We were hoping to buy in the D12 area but it seems that everything is 300K+

You can either keep saving in the hope that prices don't rise...or accept that you can't afford your most desired area so you have to compromise. I'd love to live in Dublin 6w but I can dream on.
    Try looking at Tallaght - Kilnamanagh/ Tymon North/ Glenview/ Old Bawn are all about 10 mins from Dublin 12 and largely very settled estates. Tymon North is mostly social housing/former social housing as are some small parts of Kilnamanagh (afaik) but Old Bawn/Glenview are all private estates. Everything you could possibly need is in Tallaght and while it seems far out from town, the traffic isn't bad getting out of Tallaght so really only a short distance/time before you're in D12. Also all those estates only a few mins from M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

You can afford a house just not where you want.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There are a few funny things happening.
    E.g. if there is a new development going up in a particular locality- secondhand prices- take a dive.

If you're willing to compromise- I think you have a reasonable budget- you might not get your 'dream' home- but you might get a home you make into your dream home.

I can't speak for D12 (not from the area and haven't looked at property there in a long while)- but I do believe you have a reasonable budget you simply have to adjust your expectations to suit what you can afford (the old cut your cloth to suit your means argument).

Advertisement