Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle scope recommendations

Options
  • 21-11-2017 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Lads getting a new scope for my 6.5x55 any one recommend a good one in around a budget of 500.
    Not looking any bigger than 50mm o/d.
    Was thinking the Nikon monarch 4-16-50.
    What's your thoughts. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Don't know if they still do them but my CZ .308 has a 3-9x40 Zeiss USA Conquest sitting on it. Can't fault it at all. I used it on a .22 Hornet Anschutz before that. It was around $400 about 10 years ago so I reckon after duties and all you should still get one or it's successor for around €600 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Try Vortex scopes. I have one and it's very clear. It cost around €300.

https://www.irishshootingsports.ie/vortex-optics/vortex-crossfire-ii-6-24-x-50-30mm-tube

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

Thanks for the reply was looking at a few scopes head wrecking stuff. very mixed reviews on the vortex I just found with the Nikon the eye relief wasn't as good as they say and very unforgiving if you hadn't got your head position perfect. Will keep looking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Have a look at the Sightron S-Tac 4-20x50. Itts non illuminated, but fantastic glass and currently on sale for €450 here.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Have a look at the Sightron S-Tac 4-20x50. Itts non illuminated, but fantastic glass and currently on sale for €450 here.

Have you used it yourself Cass and are that company good to deal with. I'm only interested in a scope for hunting purposes. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I have had both the 2.5-17 and 4-20 model. The 2.5-17 is better due to it's illuminated reticle, better range off magnification and reticle choice. However it also costs more than double that of the 4-20 model.

The 4-20 model was introduced as a cheaper alternative to the 2.5-17 model and to me it filled a gap in the market for quality mid price range scopes. You see a lot of scopes up to €250, then they jump to €650 plus. The rare few in the €300 to €600 range are usually not suitable for centrefire rifles, imo. However for the lower price you don't suffer in terms of quality. They have removed the illuminated reticle option, but the glass and other features are as good as the higher model.

Another alternative is the Hawke Sidewinder or Frontier. I own a few Sidewinders and they have and are on 223s up to 308s and have never let me down in over 5 years of constant use. From range time to hunting. The Frontier is the latest model and while i haven't owned one i have used one on a range. It is an improvement from the Sidewinder and that is saying a lot. Huge range of mag (5-30), excellent choice and range of reticles, illumination with multiple settings, and excellent glass.

The Sidewinder runs about €420 up to €480 new and the Frontier about €650 (cheaper if you search around).

I have not dealt with Optics-trade-eu, but linked to it as their price is good. Other suppliers can provide the same scope including some Irish dealers, but the price is over €600 for the S-Tac.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

I have had both the 2.5-17 and 4-20 model. The 2.5-17 is better due to it's illuminated reticle, better range off magnification and reticle choice. However it also costs more than double that of the 4-20 model.

The 4-20 model was introduced as a cheaper alternative to the 2.5-17 model and to me it filled a gap in the market for quality mid price range scopes. You see a lot of scopes up to €250, then they jump to €650 plus. The rare few in the €300 to €600 range are usually not suitable for centrefire rifles, imo. However for the lower price you don't suffer in terms of quality. They have removed the illuminated reticle option, but the glass and other features are as good as the higher model.

Another alternative is the Hawke Sidewinder or Frontier. I own a few Sidewinders and they have and are on 223s up to 308s and have never let me down in over 5 years of constant use. From range time to hunting. The Frontier is the latest model and while i haven't owned one i have used one on a range. It is an improvement from the Sidewinder and that is saying a lot. Huge range of mag (5-30), excellent choice and range of reticles, illumination with multiple settings, and excellent glass.

The Sidewinder runs about €420 up to €480 new and the Frontier about €650 (cheaper if you search around).

I have not dealt with Optics-trade-eu, but linked to it as their price is good. Other suppliers can provide the same scope including some Irish dealers, but the price is over €600 for the S-Tac.
    Thanks for all the information Cass great write up I will have a good look at these. Have a hawke on my 22 cheaper end but has never giving me a problem.
    The illuminated rectical wouldn't really bother me to be honest but again thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

You could also pick up a used german scope, i bought a used schmidt and bender 8x56 years ago and it is excellent glass. Pat Carley also does Doctor scopes which are german and are supposed to be very good too. Just another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I have not dealt with Optics-trade-eu, but linked to it as their price is good.

I have dealt with them twice and both times they have been perfect. One of the scopes was quite expensive too so I was worried about ordering it online but all was as it should be.

gunny123 wrote: »
    You could also pick up a used german scope, i bought a used schmidt and bender 8x56 years ago and it is excellent glass. Pat Carley also does Doctor scopes which are german and are supposed to be very good too. Just another option.
    Yeah I'm looking at a new 8x56 s and b Hungarian somewhere around the 550 price range looks like a nice scope and good reviews.
    Have you heard much on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

For hunting a 8x56 Schmidt or similar will fill the gap well. Bought second hand they mostly do not loose value, or can be kept as a reliable back up scope when moving on to something else.
    The old classic 3-12x50 Schmidt is also a bullet proof hunting scope. Good glass can be had with Doctor and Meopta optics also. Check E-gun also for second hand scopes.
    edi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

natdog wrote: »
    Yeah I'm looking at a new 8x56 s and b Hungarian somewhere around the 550 price range looks like a nice scope and good reviews.
    Have you heard much on them.

Perfectly good scope, robust but heavy, great in low light. But if i were you i would see if i could get an illuminated model.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭borrisboy

+1 for the S + B 8x56 ! Have one on my .223 and can't fault it

Advertisement