Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you prefer to live in Sligo or Dublin...what is best about Sligo

Options
  • 22-11-2017 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

As the title above says......some feedback please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Are you personally looking to decide between the two? Whats your circumstances? Work, study, family, financial, etc, all of that could effect, and influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Sligo - Because its not Dublin

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

I've lived in both.
    Sligo is super. Great outdoors mountains and sea. Great restaurants . Great live music. Town is not great. Town is the worst part of sligo.

But Dublin is.... well it's just Dublin. Exciting place to live. Deeply flawed but for me it's home. So many beautiful parts. Howth. South coast . Phoenix park. Bull island.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Personally I would love to live in Dublin since there's a lot more opportunities then Sligo. However the prices up there would put you off entirely to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

This isn't really a Dublin vs. Sligo question really.

It's a rural vs. city one.

At the end of the day it comes down to how much stock you put in to:

- employment opportunities
    - social opportunities
    - cultural options
    - environment (clean air etc.)
    - cost of living
    - lots of other factors I left out

If you're set on being a farmer, have a preference for Irish girls/guys, aren't in to the theatre much, love the outdoors and like nothing better than a few pints down the local, then Sligo, or anywhere bucolic, is idyllic.

If you work in IT, have a thing for Korean chicks, burlesque dancers and don't mind the maddening crowd and traffic then you'll be wanting a city with at least a million heads.

Dublin doesn't really have a well developed cheap motel market, or sufficient 24/7 transport to make living in the countryside as appealing as it would be in Asia or other high density regions.

This is why south Dublin's leafier suburbs are so popular; under an hour from the city, and still enough room to grow your own broccoli.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

fleet wrote: »
    If you work in IT, have a thing for Korean chicks, burlesque dancers...

If you listen carefully you'll hear the women chicks of Sligo weeping and cursing Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Sligo.
    Sure we can always just hop on the train, to Dromod then get the bus to Edgewortgstown then get back on a train in Maynooth, up to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭warriorpoet

Arrived in Dublin in the 80's in my early 20's - loved the social and night life, work opportunities etc. Left in '99 for Sligo and have loved everything about it.
    But in truth, it's very much about where you are in your life to - Dublin is great if you're young, single and more concerned about your career and social life. Life for me is now about family, lifestyle and enjoying the kind of outdoor activities that are so accessible in this part of the world, and so expensive and inaccessible in and around in Dublin.
    So I'm here to stay!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Emiedoo

Hi all, really trying to decide myself between sligo and carlow....not Dublin.. ...any opinions appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Emiedoo wrote: »
    Hi all, really trying to decide myself between sligo and carlow....not Dublin.. ...any opinions appreciated

Never been to Carlow, If you like outdoor activity Sligo is your place, also great live music scene and pretty good restaurant scene, town centre retail is f#@ked due to lack of a bypass( no talk of building one either) and one way system that passeth all understanding. Except to pay 650+ for a two bed apt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement