Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java fern

Options
  • 22-11-2017 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

My sister recently purchased a java fern for her cold water goldfish tank to help with nitrates but we are at a bit of a loss as to how to get it set up correctly.

It's currently tied down with string to one of the tank ornaments but the rizomes don't appear to be growing onto the ornament and the plant in general doesn't seem to be doing too well. I'm wondering if anyone can advise on how this could be fixed /a better way to set it up?

The plant itself came in a mini pot in compost with a sponge around it too. She has removed the sponge but left the compost material. However, should the compost have been removed too?

(All the water peramaters are fine with the exception of the nitrates)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

aaabbbb wrote: »
    My sister recently purchased a java fern for her cold water goldfish tank to help with nitrates but we are at a bit of a loss as to how to get it set up correctly.

It's currently tied down with string to one of the tank ornaments but the rizomes don't appear to be growing onto the ornament and the plant in general doesn't seem to be doing too well. I'm wondering if anyone can advise on how this could be fixed /a better way to set it up?

The plant itself came in a mini pot in compost with a sponge around it too. She has removed the sponge but left the compost material. However, should the compost have been removed too?

(All the water peramaters are fine with the exception of the nitrates)

Remove the compost and tie the rhizome tight on to the wood, rock etc. it takes time for the roots to attach. The rhizome doesn’t attach at all really.

How much light is it getting? It will grow slower in cold water anyway.

Advertisement