Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Career advice accountancy

• 22-11-2017 2:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭

This might be a long one.

So I did a digital humanities degree (history and English) from 2011-2014, and when I finished there was nothing for me. Now I paid for this myself, and the company I was working for at the time gave me the nod and the wink that their would be a managers job for me when I finished ( expressly saying this to me in an appraisal). This didn't happen.

So I took a year of study following my degree and decided that I would try the IATI course, loved it. I did really well the first year and I got a part time admin job, which I treat/thought of as a stepping stone. So when I did my second year exams I panicked in two of them( Tax and AFA) still passing them both 63 gpa for the year.

Now since then I have been looking for a job, but find my lack of experience to be detrimental, as well as a lack of opportunities in the area I live. Now, I have done some interviews, but they never go far. In one the partner of the firm suggested ACCA as a professional body to study under as opposed to cpa or chartered(I wish).

So long story short I have 11 ACCA exams including one of the essentials to repeat if I want to go with them. I have 9 CPA exams.

So my question is what should I do?

Should I go back to get a degree? Or carry on with the CPA ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭ACADasltiv

Delta1138 wrote: »
    In one the partner of the firm suggested ACCA as a professional body to study under as opposed to cpa or chartered(I wish).

If you qualify it will be a qualification you hold for the rest of your life - don't pick one you're not happy with, they're all a tough slog regardless. Remember - CAI began offering a flexible route recently enough, it may be an option.
    Should I go back to get a degree? Or carry on with the CPA ?

A degree in what?

When you say you have 9 CPA exams, does this mean 9 to do or that you have 9 done?

Would it be possible for you to move somewhere for a year or two to get some experience and then move closer to home? There is no shortage of accountancy positions available, it's a strong market out there. Have you tried recruiters? It's not even necessary to move to Dublin/Cork - many of the bigger firms have regional offices where you may be able to pick up a training contract if you wished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭Delta1138

Thanks for the reply.

I seen the Chartered Flexible route but am not confident that I would get a job after doing it. I might look into it again I beleive I would be in the same position as I am now in regards to the amount of exams I have to do. To be honest, I really like the idea of the training contract.

Moving isn't an issue, I don't have a family or kids and would happily do it. I keep sending CVs to companies/recruiters but all I've gotten is a string of rejections.

When I say degree, I mean an accounting degree,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Thanks for the reply.

I seen the Chartered Flexible route but am not confident that I would get a job after doing it. I might look into it again I beleive I would be in the same position as I am now in regards to the amount of exams I have to do. To be honest, I really like the idea of the training contract.

You'll have the same issue with qualifying with ACCA or CPA without getting a training contract.

I keep sending CVs to companies/recruiters but all I've gotten is a string of rejections.

You might want to review your application process. It's very hard to get staff at the moment (near full employment levels), so it's better now for those starting off than for a long time.

Yeah I noticed that but then there's time limits relating to exams and PER.

So, what type of rolls do you think I should be applying for ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

So, what type of rolls do you think I should be applying for ?

Entry level trainee accountant role. Entry level accounting roles in industry.

• Advertisement

Entry level trainee accountant role. Entry level accounting roles in industry.

Ok, I'll keep looking. Thanks for the help lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭thomlin

Going by your last post "lad" I'm assuming you are in Cork apologies if I'm wrong, but you never specified where you are based.

First thing I would advise is grow some confidence no one trusts an accountant who isn't confident it's part of the job. No insult intended you said you panicked in your exams it happens to the best of us, but don't let that knock your confidence.

You could do a degree and gain extra exemptions, but I have no idea how that translates in your current location in Dublin that can mean the difference between gettting a job or not. Leaving that aside you need to decide what professional body you want to become qualified with, but buyer beware there is snobbery in our profession so depending on which body you chose will determine your future or not.

However, I like to think that this is becoming less of a problem than it was previously.

Getting a job anywhere now without experience is hard unfortunately so you need to sell yourself even if the price is free for a limited time to gain experience and a reference letter. You might have to consider working for free for a month somewhere to gain the experience and reference and with some luck a job offer.

Best of luck

Tom

Advertisement