Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomasland

Options
  • 22-11-2017 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Looking at planning a trip to thomasland for my older boy. He will be 4 next year. We will also have a baby. Any advice/tips would be much appreciated! When is the best time to go? How many days do we need? Should we fly or sail? What hotel should we stay in? Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Millem wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Looking at planning a trip to thomasland for my older boy. He will be 4 next year. We will also have a baby. Any advice/tips would be much appreciated! When is the best time to go? How many days do we need? Should we fly or sail? What hotel should we stay in? Thanks a million

We were just there in October for our sons birthday. The Drayton Manor hotel was fully booked while we were there, but if you can, I'd recommend staying there, it's right in the park, and it's set up brilliantly for young families. They have Thomas themed family rooms :) We flew with Ryanair, flights were fairly cheap, and we only stayed one night, but in hindsight, I'd have stayed 2 nights - trying to fit everything in meant he was exhausted coming home, we went straight from the park to the airport.
    There's an after school ticket available online, it's from 3-5pm, and you can add another adult on to it at the gate for £5. We bought that for day one, as it was a lot cheaper than buying a full day ticket. We bought a full day ticket for day 2. You wouldn't need much more than that, it's not a huge Park and the Thomasland part is quite small. Tickets are cheaper to buy on the website than at the gate. Again, the park is well set up for families. Food quality/choice wasn't great, but we didn't mind feeding him junk for a couple of days as a one off.
    My son really enjoyed it, he's still talking about his trip to the Island Of Sodor :) Be prepared to part with your wallet - the merchandise is fairly expensive! Be warned, when you exit the Winston ride you have to walk through a very big gift store (my son proclaimed it the "biggest Thomas shop in the WORLD!) and there's also a gift shop in the lobby of the Drayton Manor hotel. However, he still wears his Thomasland drivers license everywhere :D
    I would imagine that a midweek trip would mean less queuing for the rides etc, also, cheaper flights. It was a bit quiet in October, some of the sections closed but my son didn't mind. The website has details of any special events or offers that are on, and if you sign up for the mailing list they email you special offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Thanks nikpmup
    I have loads of tesco vouchers (over €100) you can boost them and use them for thomasland or if you stay in hotel you can get tickets in your package??
    Did you rent a car? Is it far from
    Airport? Did you fly to Birmingham?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

We went the year before last for my little boy's 4th birthday. Because he was in playschool, we were able to go in the middle of September, so it was during term time and it was very handy because the park was very quiet and we didn't have to queue for anything. We got the ferry to Hollyhead and drove. We got the Ulysses out and then the Swift on the way home. The hotel was working out quite pricey for the time of year we were going so we ended up staying in either a Best Western or a Premier Inn just outside Birmingham - it wasn't a very long drive from there to Thomas Land (30 mins max) but on the way back we hit a lot of traffic so that added a bit of time.

The gift shop was expensive compared to the likes of Smyths etc, but in terms of getting food in the park, it was actually pretty reasonable. The little man absolutely loved it, and he still has his driving licence hanging on his bed. He went on all the rides in Thomas land (even the troublesome trucks roller coaster and also the Cranky the crane yoke, which I noped out of) I think the only thing he didn't go on was Bullstrode because when we were about to get on it, one of the little kids who was getting off puked, so that was the end of that :pac: As I said, there were no queues, so he went on everything else at least twice - there's a vintage car thing that they drive around on a track near the Winston ride, and he went on that 4 times - there's a farting cow at the end that he got great entertainment out of. We also went on a couple of the rides in the main Drayton Manor park, nothing mental, just the big merry go round, the boat around the lake, and the train. There was also a little mini zoo type thing that was nice to walk around as well.

I'd love to go back again, Thomas was my favourite thing when I was little so it was kinda like fulfilling a childhood dream for me :o My little boy had an absolutely brilliant time. If I ever have the money to get away for a holiday I'd love to go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

We went during the summer mid week so flew over that morning to Birmingham, taxi from airport to Drayton manor (where we stayed too) had breakfast at hotel and strolled (literally a 3 min walk) to park, beat the que since we pre booked.
    The second day you get a discount on tickets from reception in hotel, and we spent the day in the park again till our taxi picked us up at 5pm to get back to airport.

We had the best time, could not recommend it enough.
    We have booked it again for the new year.
    The queues move very fast as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Millem wrote: »
    Thanks nikpmup
    I have loads of tesco vouchers (over €100) you can boost them and use them for thomasland or if you stay in hotel you can get tickets in your package??
    Did you rent a car? Is it far from
    Airport? Did you fly to Birmingham?
    There is a stay and play deal in the hotel for tickets and hotel accommodation, I'm not sure how it works out with the tesco vouchers though. The hotel is pricey compared to other local places; we stayed in a premier Inn about ten minutes away and got a taxi in & out but for convenience we wished we'd stayed in Drayton Manor as we were only there one night. If you're staying 2 nights or more it wouldn't be as much of an issue.
    It's about half an hour's drive from the airport, we hailed a taxi from outside the airport which was expensive, but the local cab companies are a lot cheaper iirc. I'm sure my other half kept the phone number of the company we used, when he's home tonight I'll ask him. Renting a car might work out well if you're there a few days and not staying in Drayton Manor hotel to save on taxi fares.

• Advertisement

Oh, also the next time we go we are staying 2-3 nites as we want to visit Birmingham city, Cadbury factory tour/land is there and sea life aquarium also. Something else to consider if you wanted to make a real mini holiday out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Hi Millem.
    Did you end up going to Thomasland after? I’ve been twice, but not since 2015, and we’re bringing two of our kids in April. I’m just wondering if anyone knows can you still buy the discounted tickets for day two whilst in the park?

jlm29 wrote: »
    Hi Millem.
    Did you end up going to Thomasland after? I’ve been twice, but not since 2015, and we’re bringing two of our kids in April. I’m just wondering if anyone knows can you still buy the discounted tickets for day two whilst in the park?

They still do the discounted ticket for second day. Big discount.
    Enjoy, we went last year and year before also. Heading to Cbeebies land this year for something new.

Oh great. I’m weighing up the costs at the moment of staying in the hotel and taxi, vs further out and rental car! I need to sit down and do my sums later!
    I really hope brexit doesn’t have too much of an impact on travel

Oh great. I’m weighing up the costs at the moment of staying in the hotel and taxi, vs further out and rental car! I need to sit down and do my sums later!

We stayed in the hotel both times and got taxi from airport. Second time we got upgraded to a thomas themed room which the boys loved.
    I guess it depends the time in April you go, I'm guessing Easter break? So it's going to more expensive so may be worth staying elsewhere and renting a car. Cadbury world and sea life near by so you could also drive to those places too.
    We are getting ferry to England and driving to Alton towers, insurance co's don't really know yet, they are waiting to hear, but will prob require a green card to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

Hi, what's the Tesco voucher thing mentioned on the thread?

budgemook wrote: »
    Hi, what's the Tesco voucher thing mentioned on the thread?

When u get your Tesco Clubcard points you can use them as family days out. It says what etc....in the booklet you get. Not sure if they still have that offer. Website would prob say so.

jlm we didn’t go yet. I went on a few days out like Dublin zoo, tayto park etc and found it very difficult with breastfeeding and he was almost one tbh.
    We are hoping to go at october midterm break....the kids will be 5 and 2. Please God I will have weaned him by then ;)

The hotels all seem so grim that Irish ferries and stena offer. I wish they would offer you the drayton manor hotel!! My husband wants to travel by boat.

Anytime I price during school holidays it works out at €500 for hotel and boat for the 4 of us for 3 nights.
    I have saved all my tesco points for the tickets.

I am hoping to bring the kids to disneyland paris 2020 but that probably needs it’s own thread!!!!

I don’t think I’d even consider the boat, having flown and hired a car both times previously. Depends on flight prices I suppose though! I booked ours for around €200 for the four of us.
    I priced Drayton manor for one night, park tickets for two days and taxi to and from the airport today, it works out at £370 in April.
    I’ll sit down later and look at car hire, different hotel and separate tickets to the park and see how it compares.
    The park tickets are so pricey!

I don’t think I’d even consider the boat, having flown and hired a car both times previously. Depends on flight prices I suppose though! I booked ours for around €200 for the four of us.
    I priced Drayton manor for one night, park tickets for two days and taxi to and from the airport today, it works out at £370 in April.
    I’ll sit down later and look at car hire, different hotel and separate tickets to the park and see how it compares.
    The park tickets are so pricey!

I am looking forward to the boat have never been on a boat with the kids! Seems less hassle than airports... the drive is like 3 hours from holyhead! We go to Wexford a good bit so hopefully kids will be fine in the car!!!
    With carseats it seems easier too?

Ticket prices are a scandal....I was so shocked at disneyland!! Defo staying onsite so tickets are included there!!

It probably is easier with car seats to be fair. We’d have a good drive at either end though, so that makes it very long! We’re only going for one night too, so it’s easier to fly.
    If you’re driving anyhow, I would definitely look at staying a bit further out, nearer Tamworth village, or in one of the premier inns. The park is quite close to them, and they were SO much cheaper when we went last time!

We went to Thomasland last weekend. Great time of year for it, similar to October midterm, when we went before. Having also gone in summer, I wouldn’t dream of going then, we did nothing but stand in queues in sweltering heat!

We ended up getting taxis to and from and staying in Drayton manor, just for one night. The kids had a great time!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

We went to Thomasland last weekend. Great time of year for it, similar to October midterm, when we went before. Having also gone in summer, I wouldn’t dream of going then, we did nothing but stand in queues in sweltering heat!

We ended up getting taxis to and from and staying in Drayton manor, just for one night. The kids had a great time!

Any chance you could fill us in on your itinerary? Like where u flew and hotels etc.. park tickets etc

Any chance you could fill us in on your itinerary? Like where u flew and hotels etc.. park tickets etc

Yup, no probs. We flew on sat, at 11.30 (well, flight was delayed by an hour or so) from Dublin. We got a taxi from the airport to Drayton manor. We were checked in, bags dropped and down in the park for around 2-2.30.
    The park closes at five, but we actually got a good bit done in the couple of hours, the queues are definitely shorter in the afternoons.
    We were there on Sunday from 10am until just after 4, then picked up our bags and got a taxi back to the airport for our 7pm flight home.
    The hotel was around £260, including park tickets for the two days (family room, 2 adults, 2 kids). That was a reduced rate, I think they had a good few vacant rooms, so the prices dropped a bit. I don’t think I’d stay in the hotel for more than one night, it’s very expensive!

We’ve previously gone, hired a car and stayed in a premier inn nearby. Once you buy your tickets for the first day, you can buy them in the park for subsequent days far cheaper than on the gate, and parking is free I think. If you were considering driving over, and would have a car anyhow, I’d definitely stay further out, it’s much better value!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Hi all, climbing aboard this thread (pun intended!)

We are hoping to bring our 5 year old son to Thomasland in early July (before summer hols in the UK) does admission price cover the rides or do you pay for each one separately?

Does admission price cover the whole of Drayton Manor including zoo and Thomasland or is it separate tickets? It's not very clear on the website...

TIA x

• Advertisement

Hi all, climbing aboard this thread (pun intended!)

We are hoping to bring our 5 year old son to Thomasland in early July (before summer hols in the UK) does admission price cover the rides or do you pay for each one separately?

Does admission price cover the whole of Drayton Manor including zoo and Thomasland or is it separate tickets? It's not very clear on the website...

TIA x

Admission covers everything. Except the hook a duck, throw the balls in the tub to win a s**t prize you haven’t space for in your suitcase prize, those kinds of things! Park tickets seem dear, but actually it’s good value when you consider how much you’d spend paying €2 or €3 for each ride here.
    The zoo is a bit rubbish, but passes a half an hour.

Just in terms of your timing. We went the last time in July when schools were still in session in the UK, and it was manic. I had not factored in that there would be a lot of school tours there midweek. The queues were crazy for everything. I think we were there on a Friday and Saturday. I had expected the Friday to be not too bad, and the sat to be awful, but the Friday was way busier (though both were very busy). It was also really really hot to be standing in queues for a lot of the day with a small child.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Just wondering what is this like for a child who would be 2 and a half.

Junior getting into Thomas and would like to drive over not this year possible early next year before the schools break up for a long weekend

Junior getting into Thomas and would like to drive over not this year possible early next year before the schools break up for a long weekend

It’s grand for that age group. Some stuff he won’t be able to go on, but most things he can with an adult with him. There’s height restrictions in place, you can probably look them up online. I think the first time we went my eldest guy was just shy of three, so not much older than you’re talking about bringing your son

We're flying over to Birmingham tomorrow and are hoping to go to Thomas Land on Wednesday or Thursday. I'll come back to you at the weekend

We're flying over to Birmingham tomorrow and are hoping to go to Thomas Land on Wednesday or Thursday. I'll come back to you at the weekend

Cheers let us know if flying ok as we dont mind driving and can make a bit of a break if we have the car and stay outside the area, possible cheaper hotel

Cheers let us know if flying ok as we dont mind driving and can make a bit of a break if we have the car and stay outside the area, possible cheaper hotel

We were at Drayton Manor today and had an absolute ball. We flew into Birmingham and got a train into New Street Station (about £2.50 pp) which is close to the Bullring and main shopping area. We're staying in Jurys Inn Broad Street. Nice hotel but a bit out of the way

We got the train from New Street Station to Tamworth (£30 return for 3 adults, 1 child) and got a taxi from Tamworth to Drayton Manor. £10 each way.

We booked the tickets in advance - they have a 4 for £88 (€98) deal at the moment. We had the best day (the most exciting day of my life according to our 5 year old) there is loads to do and all day to do it. The weather was glorious and it wasn't packed so we didn't have to queue for the rides. There are height restrictions on some things but they are clearly marked beside it do you dont waste your time and upset your child by queuing up only to be refused. The staff were so friendly and polite and the place itself is very clean. Will definitely return.

Please feel free to PM if you need any other info xx

We were at Drayton Manor today and had an absolute ball. We flew into Birmingham and got a train into New Street Station (about £2.50 pp) which is close to the Bullring and main shopping area. We're staying in Jurys Inn Broad Street. Nice hotel but a bit out of the way

We got the train from New Street Station to Tamworth (£30 return for 3 adults, 1 child) and got a taxi from Tamworth to Drayton Manor. £10 each way.

We booked the tickets in advance - they have a 4 for £88 (€98) deal at the moment. We had the best day (the most exciting day of my life according to our 5 year old) there is loads to do and all day to do it. The weather was glorious and it wasn't packed so we didn't have to queue for the rides. There are height restrictions on some things but they are clearly marked beside it do you dont waste your time and upset your child by queuing up only to be refused. The staff were so friendly and polite and the place itself is very clean. Will definitely return.

Please feel free to PM if you need any other info xx

cheers thanks for the info.

Junior is only 2 so maybe not this year possible next year do you think better of waiting as caters for 3+ kids ? Would make a trip out of it and take the car so could visit relatives in the UK

cheers thanks for the info.

Junior is only 2 so maybe not this year possible next year do you think better of waiting as caters for 3+ kids ? Would make a trip out of it and take the car so could visit relatives in the UK

There is plenty for smaller kids and there were lots of smaller kids there that seemed to enjoy it but if you really wanted to get the most of it, then I'd advise leaving it til next year - and definitely before the school holidays in the UK to avoid crowds and queues

There is plenty for smaller kids and there were lots of smaller kids there that seemed to enjoy it but if you really wanted to get the most of it, then I'd advise leaving it til next year - and definitely before the school holidays in the UK to avoid crowds and queues

Cheers Junior only 2 so may leave it till next year and take the car over. At the moment all I hear him shout is Percy......Percy so I know who his favourite is now:)

Thanks for the tips

• Advertisement

Well booked the ferry and going in June midweek

Taking the car to Holyhead and driving down. We only plan to stay in the Drayton Manor hotel one night, day we are going to the park . Any other hotels that people can recommend outside of the area but still enough for Mammy and Daddy and Grandparents also. Was going to stay in Birmingham but its just another city so just looking for other options.

Plan is to drive from Holyhead to hotel and stay there one night. Next day head to Thomas Land and then stay in the Drayton Manor that night. Following day visit friends and relatives near by and then stay with them. Then head back to the ferry home

I see the Drayton manor offers tickets also with their stay not much difference in price if buying directly.

Any tips, suggestions etc. Can you bring own food into Thomas land for picnic etc ?

Cheers

Advertisement