Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

interior works on leasehold apartment

Options
  • 22-11-2017 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in an apartment that is leasehold. From what I've understood practically all apartments in Dublin are leasehold and that shouldn't be a problem.

One thing that it's not clear though, is if I'm free to do changes to the interiors, like renovating bathrooms, changing carpets etc or if I have to ask for permission to the management company.

Thanks for your opinion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

EZ26 wrote: »
    One thing that it's not clear though, is if I'm free to do changes to the interiors, like renovating bathrooms, changing carpets etc or if I have to ask for permission to the management company.

No issues there at all. You can do all of that without permission from anyone.

The management company own the structure, but inside of that is yours to deal with. Unless your changes would impact on the structure (taking down walls, etc), then it is all up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭EZ26

Thanks a lot Paulw!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Paulw wrote: »
    Unless your changes would impact on the structure (taking down walls, etc), then it is all up to you.

Be careful of this, apartments are quite regulated in relation to firestopping etc. Carrying out structural changes should be run past the management company prior to works.

Hi Askthe EA, do you think that renovating bathrooms and changing carpet with tiles is structural changes?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jeepcj

Also some apartments do not let you have hardwood floors due to noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

As above, some management contracts have provisons for flooring types etc but generally as long as your not changing the actual layout youll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Might there be an issue regarding access for contractors/materials?

Lived in a flat once where hardware had to be brought in through the window.

At this point I'll let you know once I figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lcwill

I've changed the layout of two leasehold apartments and didn't have any problems with management company. I sent them my plans beforehand to make sure they were ok with it and they didn't seem too concerned - these were more or less total gut and start again jobs and knocking down walls between kitchen and living area.

interesting Icwill, thanks. In my case it wouldn't be anything that changes the layout, so it should be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

In addition to the above, the other area the management company may have rules about are decoration or treatment to the exterior. Things like even just painting your front door (if you have one) a different colour can be regulated in some developments.

In any case, if you get to the stage of making an offer on a property in a Multiple Unit Development, you should be seeking and getting a copy of the Management Company accounts and rules (which are in addition to the lease you will be signing). Such rules, unlike the lease, can be changed by the Management Company members, one of which will be you if you buy.

Advertisement