Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another cycling fatality :( - condolences only please

Options
  • 22-11-2017 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭

39 year old man killed in Kerry last night. RIP and condolences to his family.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

secman wrote: »
    39 year old man killed in Kerry ladt night. RIP and condolences to his family

Seen that. Really is pretty poor. Who is it over cycling, is it department of transport or local councils or government policy. Which ever it is. They don't seem very interested.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

oh god. not again.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Cyclist down on Whitehall Rd West this morning, looks serious, ambulance took their time moving him. May not even have been a vehicle involved, hard to tell. Careful out there in the weather today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

FFS, RIP that man..

I fear for people this morning too in that weather. My cycle in consisted of 2 very close passes this morn and a car beeping me in a buslane of course, despite me signalling to move out of arms reach of a pond basically. Its bad enough in normal conditions but the behaviour of some drivers in these conditions this morn were terrifying. Virtually all the bus lanes on my route were taken up with lines of cars too.

This is a truly black year for cycling , the last week alone has been horrific :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mod - I've edited the thread title to reflect the usual practice - hope you don't mind, secman

OT posts/posts regarding shane ross have been moved to the 'stop killing cyclists' thread

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭thekerrycyclist

Awful news and close to home too. Thoughts with family. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Awful news. I live in West Limerick and often cycle down around Tralee so this really brings it home. Such a young life gone far too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

RIP to this man and condolences to his family. Let us not forget the other cyclists who have died this year. Let them rest in peace also and condolences to their families as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

RIP, so so sad :( can't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

RIP, another life gone too soon and a family left devastated.

Still no change in attitudes out there. The comments sections in the media surrounding the protest in Dublin really say it all. We've turned into a mini America with our attitude towards vulnerable road users. Motorists - Please, please, please slow down, stop killing cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

oflahero wrote: »
    Cyclist down on Whitehall Rd West this morning, looks serious, ambulance took their time moving him. May not even have been a vehicle involved, hard to tell. Careful out there in the weather today.

Today was not a day for the bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I fear for people this morning too in that weather. My cycle in consisted of 2 very close passes this morn and a car beeping me in a buslane of course, despite me signalling to move out of arms reach of a pond basically. Its bad enough in normal conditions but the behaviour of some drivers in these conditions this morn were terrifying. Virtually all the bus lanes on my route were taken up with lines of cars too.

Conditions where extremely poor this morning, very dark, rain reflecting light all over the place, just nasty.

Had to assist a down cyclist on route to work. Called the ambulance for him. Hopefully okay was in awake but in a fair bit of pain, pretty amazed still at the amount of people who would walk over you on there way to work, still a few decent folk who offered assistance to both driver/cyclist. Driver was fairly shook up also. Not pleasant for anyone.

With that type of attitude of stepping over people on the way to work, I am not surprised at the actions of some drivers.

Drivers need to realise if they do kill or injure some seriously, they will be living with that for the rest of their lives. Not an easy burden to carry, I wouldn't like it anyway. That bike moving along is a person, it will become very real pretty quick once they come off and your there trying to help a person not a cyclist and it quickly won't matter who was right or wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Yeah, atrocious conditions this morning. I dropped my girls to school for a change. Dark, very poor visibility. When there's a cyclist in front, drivers just have to learn to sit in behind them and commute at that pace. If you do force an overtake, you only get a short distance up the road anyway before you hit traffic or a red light and the cyclist re-undertakes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Mod Note: There's already been one warning, the thread title was updated, and now I've had to delete one completely off topic comment. IF you wish to express sympathies, do that and no else. There's a journalism and cycling thread to have a go at the media, there's other threads for safety etc.

Condolences to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

RIP, so sad.

Advertisement