Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've dyed my hair way too dark. Someone please help me!

Options
  • 22-11-2017 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Are there any hairdressers on here? Please help me! I had my hair highlighted blonde for years and was completely sick of it. My hair broke because if all the bleach being used on my hair. I bought a L'Oréal majorel number 6 and 745, mixed them together with peroxide 20vol, left it in for 35 minutes. My hair is way too dark and these are permanent hair colour. I washed it 5 times, 3 times with fairy liquid but it's still way too dark. Does anyone know what I can do to lighten it without using bleach? I ultimately wanted to be a warm brown with copper tones but I choose the wrong red colour. Can I use a semi permanent brown dye in a few weeks maybe? Please help ☹️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

You'll have to either get your hair stripped in a hair dressers (expensive) or use a colour stripper at home.

I'd recommend looking into Colour B4, it will remove the dark colour from your hair but can be tricky to put another colour over it - you'd be best to research this product a good bit yourself to see if it's for you - it's far cheaper then the first option though. You'll need to put a semi on over it and choose a colour 2 shades lighter then you think!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Unregistered39

Get some Vitamin C soluble tablets, the ones in the tube (Beeline etc.) Depending on the length of your hair (mine is just below shoulder but quite fine), crush about 10 of them into a bowl - you'll need to crush them to as fine a powder as you can. I put them in a plastic bag and use a rolling pin. Add in enough clear or clarifying shampoo to mix to a paste. Dampen hair. Lash on the mixture and wrap your hair in clingfilm for at least an hour (I leave for two). It's messy and you may need to give it a few goes but it definitely works, and surprisingly doesn't wreck your hair at all.

I would avoid ColourB4 like the plague! It turned my hair orange and destroyed it. Took all the curl out of it and the next time you dye your hair it goes even darker (in my experience). In fact tomorrow I'm getting several inches cut off my hair in the hope my curls will come back... Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Why did you use permanent colour??!

You're best off just going into a hairdresser and getting it sorted properly. It'll cost you but you risk damaging your hair further by messing around with it at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

+1 for avoiding colour b4. Destroyed my hair.

Op best of going to a professional hairdresser for a consultation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Maggie Mae

Thanks a mill for your advice... Excuse my ignorance but, if I do this, will it lighten the colour it is now or will it show the blonde highlights underneath?

• Advertisement

I was advised that the permanent colour was better for coverage...

Maggie Mae wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for your advice... Excuse my ignorance but, if I do this, will it lighten the colour it is now or will it show the blonde highlights underneath?

It will lighten it, but not to the extent that blonde highlights will show through. It just removes some of the build up of colour and brings it down, I would say, a shade at a time.

I did what you said with the vit c twice and it lightened my hair colour a lot. It's perfect now. I can't believe how much better it looks. Thanks a million for your advice, I really appreciate it xxx

Ah I'm delighted it worked for you! And thanks for coming back to let me know. x

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭JennyZ

That's really interesting about the vit c tablets. I don't know how many times I've tried 'dark blonde' over the counter shades that turn out to be a very dark brown to black, very far removed from anything remotely even near dark blonde. Fairy liquid worked a bit to resolve. I eventually decided never using any of them again and stick to a colour I get in a salon that actually is dark blonde.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭QueenRizla

Seen this natural method recommended on a forum for lifting dye, it's supposed to be good for conditioning too.
    I haven't tried it so can't vouch but looking at the ingredients it couldn't hurt!

Honey Lightening method....

https://www.wikihow.com/Lighten-Hair-Naturally-With-Honey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Do NOT use washing up liquid on your hair. It wont make any difference to the colour as permanent dye penetrates the shaft. It will leave your hair and scalp completely dried out. I would also advise you dont use an at home colour stripper, it wreaks havoc on healthy hair, I dread to think what it will do to hair thats already damaged.

Assuming your hair was blonde when you dyed it the colour will naturally fade within 2 weeks anyway. If you cant wait that long and have the money to spend then go to your hairdresser. If money is an issue could you enquire in a nearby hairdressing course if any students are looking for a model to work on?

Advertisement