Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Crowded House on RTE

• 22-11-2017 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

Did anyone else watch the episode last night with Brendan Courtney. I think out of the 3 episodes that have been on over the past 5 weeks only the 1 with the 2 brothers in Palmerstown made actual sense.
    How do they screen for people in the show 'cause the people last night (Navan Man especially) started off with no concept of reality but a massive sense of entitlement. In the end, the concept of reality was still in short supply.

Its been a while since I screamed at the tv in the hope that the people would hear me through it but this show brought me there....:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Same here, Navan man was living in cloud cuckoo land. He was offered a mortgage of 40K because he had a car loan, they told him he could get ~80K if he sold the car and cleared the loan, wasn't having it. Then he was shown a lovely house with asking of 78K i think and he turned his nose up at it because he thought he should be entitled to something bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

I know!!! What was he thinking. I actually wasn't sure why he needed to move out of the house with his dad. It looked like a 3 bed house and he could do it up himself as he'd inherit it some day.
    Even the fact that they found houses within his budget if he cleared his car loan was amazing. He then turns his nose up at them. The house he said needed a lot of work.... YOU HAVE 80k FOR A HOUSE!!! Does he expect something that going to have 3 beds, ensuite, large living spaces and a home gym.

I don't say this often, but what are these parents filling their children's heads with (and yes I am a parent too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

I think the screening was done very well - it shows you how ridiculous a lot of people are when it comes to property in Ireland. Having a 500 or so cost for a car is in itself a sign of derangement... What is he thinking?

I really liked the 26 year old girl... Felt bad for her that she just couldn't seem to get a place. She is doing what she should at her age - enjoying life and trying to focus the mind on independence.

I'm really enjoying the show, I gotta say!

Yes, the girl went on a journey and in the end you were hoping she got somewhere and went back to college. I thought Eoin's advice for both was valid and she took it on board. And also opened her mind to who to share with and other parts of the city.
    Why is the financial advisor asking the questions that their parents should be though?

they are looking for people for the next series already as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Had to laugh at the end when it said the Cavan house that Mr Navan was interested in went for 155K, and it started at 80, crazy.

• Advertisement

Yeah I know. It looked like a nice house though, lots of space. The notion that the same money would buy a fixer upper on 1 side of the village and a finished farm on a site at the other end of the road.

The only bubble was the one that he lived in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Even for 155k, that house seems quite cheap. Had he got it for 81k, it would have been the steal of the century, was a lovely house and had lots of potential with the sheds and outdoor space.

siblers wrote: »
    Even for 155k, that house seems quite cheap. Had he got it for 81k, it would have been the steal of the century, was a lovely house and had lots of potential with the sheds and outdoor space.

Indeed, it would have been something else if he did get that house. Hopefully he realises he's not in a position to wait for something like that to come along and fall in his lap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

siblers wrote: »

That that myself. On an acre and a half of land too, obviously under-priced to drum up interest.

Was stunned by that guy's naivete though - imagine not knowing your mortgage borrowing would be tied to your wages.

Or the fact that outstanding debt could reduce your mortgage allowance as well.
    It was a bit of an eye opener as i'm assuming he's not the only person who doesn't know about these things.

He was the poster boy about why they need to teach people in school about finances, mortgages and all that jazz

• Advertisement

I thought the series had finished, there's another episode next week....
    I live in hope that Brendan will redeem the show in the end and turn it all around in the final week.

PauloConn wrote: »
    I thought the series had finished, there's another episode next week....
    I live in hope that Brendan will redeem the show in the end and turn it all around in the final week.

What's your stick with the show? That they are bringing in people who aren't mortgage ready and would make for boring, tensionless TV? The fact that it is showing people from that generation being hard done by is exactly why it's there!

Mainly with the producers.... although I was bowled over by the lack of understanding or willingness to find out about how these systems (banks and mortgages) work.

You make a good point though, it does make it entertaining

Mainly with the producers.... although I was bowled over by the lack of understanding or willingness to find out about how these systems (banks and mortgages) work.

You make a good point though, it does make it entertaining

I'd say they done this on purpose... I found the two guys a bit weird and boring. I much preferred Navan man and his concept of reality and the funny Niamh who couldn't get a place!! I def don't want to see a 24 year old on 60k buying a house...

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭apieceofcake

I am really enjoying the show, Brendan Courtney is v personable. That girl Niamh, as nice as she is, did not get a room because she is a smoker. Simple as!!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

How can one watch this in Canada ? Will they be repeating episodes 1 and2 - seen 3

• Registered Users Posts: 27 The Secret Star

I am really enjoying the show, Brendan Courtney is v personable. That girl Niamh, as nice as she is, did not get a room because she is a smoker. Simple as!!

That combined with probably another 100 people viewing the room.
    As a non-smoker, I've shared houses with smokers and it's a fairly accepted house rule these days you can only smoke outside the house. It wouldn't put me off letting a room out to nice tenants which she seemed like.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

never_mind wrote: »
    I'd say they done this on purpose... I found the two guys a bit weird and boring. I much preferred Navan man and his concept of reality and the funny Niamh who couldn't get a place!! I def don't want to see a 24 year old on 60k buying a house...

They should get a couple earning six figures each with family money and a history of frugal spending and saving looking to buy a reasonable gaff in an affluent Dublin suburb only to realise that they can only afford a a two bed fixer upper former council house.

That would demonstrate that maybe it is reality which is wrong

They should get a couple earning six figures each with family money and a history of frugal spending and saving looking to buy a reasonable gaff in an affluent Dublin suburb only to realise that they can only afford a a two bed fixer upper former council house.

That would demonstrate that maybe it is reality which is wrong

It wouldn't hurt to offer a bit of balance to the entire show. Maybe not people from old money who's trust will only stretch to €500,000 but early 30's professional, having made sacrifices looking to buy something with character and requiring some attention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Love this programme - watched all of them on RTE player on Sunday. Can't wait for tonight's episode. Courtney makes it I have to say, he's a great presenter.

• Advertisement

It was a good close off for the series. With an uplifting theme of people trying to better themselves.
    Good work Bren

It was a good close off for the series. With an uplifting theme of people trying to better themselves.
    Good work Bren
    Really wanna watch this but can't in Canada please someone upload this to youtube

mkdon wrote: »
    Really wanna watch this but can't in Canada please someone upload this to youtube

Would you not use a VPN to get it? Search Playmo or Hola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭farmerwifelet

Anyone watching this episode. It is crazy. The lecturer/lidl couple spent 10 grand in 4 months but have no idea what they spent it on? Wtf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

I was thinking exactly the same thing, what the hell were they doing with their money :confused:
    Hard to believe that someone in their position had not already explored all the options. They appeared to be all over the place with no clear plan in mind. Very frustrating to watch. I felt very sorry for the other girl. She's done everything right, studied hard, got a 'good' job and not a hope of buying her own place. I wonder why they didn't explore the House Purchase scheme for her. I thought it could be an option, stay with her parents for a year or so, get the deposit together and apply for that ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭thebourke

i agree...the lecturer was something else..combined income of 90k.....savings of 10k????????and she wants a house by the sea !!!crazy stuff!where do they get these clowns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

Yep, couldn't agree more. I presumed she was in her late 30s/early 40s, obviously educated, holding down a great job but totally clueless .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

thebourke wrote: »
    i agree...the lecturer was something else..combined income of 90k.....savings of 10k????????and she wants a house by the sea !!!crazy stuff!where do they get these clowns?

What 3rd level institute pays a bonus to lecturing staff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭farmerwifelet

when we were applying for a mortgage we went through our accounts with a fine tooth comb and had a spending/savings plan. I think the lecturer had massive blinkers on when it came to the hubby's spending.
    When the accountant guy said they took 10k out in atm withdrawals and she said she never uses the atm, the big guilty head on the hubby!
    the poor kids getting dragged from pillar to post cos the parents couldn't get their act together. how on earth did it take them so long to sort themselves out?

The other girl was lovely felt sorry for her but i think they could have looked at more options for her. Fingers crossed she gets something sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Tonight's episode couldn't have featured more contrasting people. I really feel for the single Mam trying to find somewhere. In my mind she's the ideal tenant long term...although I suppose landlords favour a couple who may be in a position to move on again sooner than she might be. The other girl came across as so privileged by comparison, and of course she landed on her feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

She landed on her feet for now had to laugh though she could get a martgage of 250-300k to be told ya about 180k and they spent 7k on take out night out etc in 5 months. Watching the show it amazes me how many have no idea of financial management.

She landed on her feet for now had to laugh though she could get a martgage of 250-300k to be told ya about 180k and they spent 7k on take out night out etc in 5 months. Watching the show it amazes me how many have no idea of financial management.

Oh yeah of course it wasnt what she originally dreamed of, as you say she was absolutely clueless about her potential borrowing. As for the boyfriend not even featuring on the show..
    She landed on her feet by a mile compared to the other lady featured though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Enjoyed the last series of this show and am enjoying this series.

Really feel for the teachers both last week and this week, both our working and providing for their kids, but getting no where when trying to rent. When you compare them to the stories in the news of people demanding houses and turning down newly built houses as they don't come with stables, would make your blood boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

#wheressean?

#wheressean?

Chap hasn't got a clue what his girlfriend has in mind lol

• Advertisement

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Chap hasn't got a clue what his girlfriend has in mind lol

I thought this week's series was good the young fella living with his mam unable to afford a place is like many other and disheartened by the process by end of it

would be nice if show revisited their story a year or 2 later

when was this shot

Advertisement