Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS store purchase

Options
  • 22-11-2017 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

hi,

seen battlefield 1 revolution on offer for 30 quid in the playstation store (60 in smyths),

want to buy this and one other game (also cheaper in ps store) but as these are meant to be from the big fella with the beard,

so is there any way to buy these without him seeing it on the PS4??!!

they're only available as downloads at this price, surely there must be loads of people in the same boat as this at christmas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

You can buy it and not download it to the PS4 yet. Download it overnight Christmas Eve and it will be easily ready on the day.

HOWEVER, the game will appear in the Library section of the console. This is no big deal if your child never goes near this (like mine!). But if they do, I'm not sure how to hide it in there. I guess you could 'buy' a load of free themes or somesuch and push it to the second page where it would be very unlikely to be noticed among all the other stuff. You could even bluff it off as a theme depending on age.

(As an aside, I don't think Battlefield 1 is meant for a child of Santa years??).

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭johnytwentyten

thanks, will give this a go but he would be in there quite a lot,

on your second point, i agree but all his friends are playing these kinds of games so what do you do?
    it would be cruel to restrict him whilst everyone else is on there, i know its a lazy thing to say but this is how its going more and more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

It's not cruel at all to restrict him. A 9 or ten year old should not be playing those games. Do you let him watch movies that are rated 18?

sugarman wrote: »
    Come on now, I could understand if it was GTA or the likes but its a historical WW1 shooter with a bit of violence. He could flick on the History channel mid day, any day of the week and watch the actual footage of lads being slaughtered.

:rolleyes:

So you know more and have greater expertise on rating games than the professionals. :rolleyes: It’s rated 18. Would you let a 9/10/11 year old watch an 18 movie??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

as a child I used to play soldiers, cowboys and Indians, cops n robbers etc but I've never actually killed someone in real life. I've yet to be convinced that videogames, especially something like BF1 would turn a kid into a murderous savage.
    These professionals that rate games are of the same ilk as the guys that banned the Life of Brian for a couple of decades, imo.

• Advertisement

Doodah7 wrote:
    So you know more and have greater expertise on rating games than the professionals. It’s rated 18. Would you let a 9/10/11 year old watch an 18 movie??

Yeah I might. It depends. And in fact I do think that I am in a better position to judge what is acceptable for my child than some "professional" who has no idea of their personality, intellectual ability, level of reasoning, interests or reason for them wanting to play or watch.

Does that make me a bad parent?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

Doodah7 wrote:
    So you know more and have greater expertise on rating games than the professionals. It’s rated 18. Would you let a 9/10/11 year old watch an 18 movie??

Yeah I might. It depends. And in fact I do think that I am in a better position to judge what is acceptable for my child than some "professional" who has no idea of their personality, intellectual ability, level of reasoning, interests or reason for them wanting to play or watch.

No it dose not. Those kinda games never affected me growing up. Some people have nothing better to do other than think they know everything about everything and tell people how to raise their children.

I look at age ratings as a suggestion. Personally, if my daughter wants to watch something which has been deemed out of her age range, I look at it first and then decide for myself whether or not she would be able to handle/understand it. The ratings are a useful tool but not something I would use a definitive benchmark.

For example my daughter is just 7 and her friends on the road are always talking about Stranger Things and she asked if she could watch it. I looked at it and decided that her imagination is far too overactive for her to be able to watch it. I sat her down and explained what it was about, that there would be no reason for her to be scared by it but I think that she should wait until she is 8. I'm in the process of introducing her to "scary" films such as gremlins and the goonies and will build her up to enjoy films once she can separate them from reality.

Probably, but more importantly, I couldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Probably, but more importantly, I couldn't care less.
    It appears that you do, otherwise why would you bother with the below?
    Doodah7 wrote: »
    (As an aside, I don't think Battlefield 1 is meant for a child of Santa years??).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

This thread is done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement