Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pop-Up Houses from Italy

Options
  • 22-11-2017 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭

Interesting article appearing in the press today, Italian made pop-up (6hrs build) house for circa €30k, earthquake proof too.
    plenty of links but the brand (google) is 'M.A.Di Home', Italians do design well, generally. Interesting idea, stable A-frame build.

edit: their website is a bit pants (possible overload), here's the house, folded fits on a standard truck

Screen_Shot_2017-11-21_at_23.32.22.pngScreen_Shot_2017-11-21_at_23.32.40.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Interesting article appearing in the press today, Italian made pop-up (6hrs build) house for circa €30k, earthquake proof too.
    plenty of links but the brand (google) is 'M.A.Di Home', Italians do design well, generally. Interesting idea, stable A-frame build.

edit: their website is a bit pants (possible overload), here's the house, folded fits on a standard truck

Screen_Shot_2017-11-21_at_23.32.22.pngScreen_Shot_2017-11-21_at_23.32.40.png

They look mad! But interesting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    They look mad! But interesting.

I strongly suspect you'd have planning issues if you tried to construct them.
    Keep in mind the derogation for temporary structures- has been tightened up considerably.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note: Moved to new thread.

Keep in mind the derogation for temporary structures- has been tightened up considerably.

Would be interesting to see if they would be classed as temporary structures rather than just prefabricated.

I quite like the style of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

If they're designed for the Italian climate it's likely they're wholly unsuitable for the Irish climate. They're a great concept and capable of adaptation I'm sure but the planners would be correct to refuse them without a redesign.

• Advertisement

If they're designed for the Italian climate it's likely they're wholly unsuitable for the Irish climate. They're a great concept and capable of adaptation I'm sure but the planners would be correct to refuse them without a redesign.

As I said on the other thread, many parts of Italy have much more extreme weather than we have. Snow, extreme cold, lots of rain etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

As I said on the other thread, many parts of Italy have much more extreme weather than we have. Snow, extreme cold, lots of rain etc.

Which present different challenges to the Irish climate, even if these houses are designed for the extremes of the Italian climate.

Constant humidity, year round rain and temperatures that are always in a good zone for growth present challenges too. The difficulties don't necessarily lie at the extremes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Guys, no such thing as temp structures in the planning world.
    You either have planning for the structure or you don't.

these look "normal", so id say planning could work in certain areas. But, do they comply with our Building Regulations and if not, how much extra to bring them up to our level?

What's with the climate obsession? It's not a mutually exclusive thing, there's every likelihood such a building would work in both climates. Even were not the case, the construction could be adjusted accordingly.

I like the concept, would be very interested to see what changes they would need to make to the design to bring it in line with building regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭flatty

They look a lot nicer than a lot of the dross that gets planning in this country. The roof pitch would be appropriate for Ireland also.
    How big are they?

• Advertisement

Each wedge appears to be about 27 square metres. The plans show buildings made with 1/2/3 wedges.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It looks like streamlined prefab timber frame which are quick to build anyway. (Ours was water tight in about a week). Its done in alpine style and to me it looks more like something that would be appropriate for a holiday home in the Alps. Once you build bigger the price will go up.

I don't know about those house but most central Eropean prefabs are much better quality and completely suitable and easily adaptable for Irish climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭tooManyChoices

What happens when you turn the page?

What happens when you turn the page?

You get a new house :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The real USP is the rumored assemble time (3 people & 6hrs), and equally the folded size allowing two-units/parts onto 1 truck, pricing also.

Screen_Shot_2017-11-22_at_15.07.51.png

I've a plywood slightly weighted small A-frame for one of the stray cats in the garden, didn't budge during the recent hurricane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

About 10 years ago an Irish company was supplying Austrian pre-fabricated houses to Ireland. They were selling so well that there was a factory here involved with it. That was all fine until some construction engineers decided to inspect the houses. They deemed that houses designed in Austria with it's snow, extreme cold, lots of rain etc., were not suitable for the Irish climate. The reason was that in Ireland you could have 3 freeze thaw cycles in one 24 hour period while in Austria once it freezes it tends to stay frozen for a few months.

I would imagine the Italian houses would fail inspection for the same reason.

Advertisement