Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black Friday

• 22-11-2017 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or has it gotten even bigger and cringier than ever before? You can’t scroll through your Facebook wall without some eejit gloating that they got midweek January flights to Leeds for €5 or a Fitbit for €120 instead of €140.

Not too mention all the idiots who will queue overnight on Grafton Street just so they can get 15% off Mac makeup like it’s just pathetic.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

McGuirkes Golf are having a "Black November" sale !! :rolleyes:

I mean FFS , its meant to be one day not a whole f*cking month !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Grouchy much OP?

Delete facebook, good chunk of your problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

#blacksalesmatter

It's now "Black Tag" in many places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

The whole lead up to Christmas starting after Halloween is all…

SPEND!!SPEND!!SPEND!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

It's now "Black Tag" in many places.

"many places" being Germany?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

#WhiteFridaysMatter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

D3V!L wrote: »
    McGuirkes Golf are having a "Black November" sale !! :rolleyes:

Are you actually complaining that discounts are available for longer than a day? Let me tell you a secret, companies can discount any product at any time, imagine that?

On second thoughts, don't delete facebook OP, use it to campaign against the madness of black Friday. #stopthediscounts #Ionlypayfullprice #discountsareforidiots

Godspeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

yeah saw the signs up outside the mall when I was walking down the sidewalk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

thelad95 wrote: »
    Is it just me or has it gotten even bigger and cringier than ever before? You can’t scroll through your Facebook wall without some eejit gloating that they got midweek January flights to Leeds for €5 or a Fitbit for €120 instead of €140.

Not too mention all the idiots who will queue overnight on Grafton Street just so they can get 15% off Mac makeup like it’s just pathetic.

Tbf flights to leeds for a fiver is pretty sweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I got a few bits last year on Black Friday and I was happy enough with what I saved. Lots of places used have little pre Christmas sales before and now they just have a name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Surprise surprise, Which found that 60% of deals aren't deals at all. Which means it's mostly a scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Please.....African American Friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Yeah but it's Leeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I'm an American expat and I think the whole thing is ludicrous if there isn't a Thursday holiday for Black Friday to follow.

No, to answer your next question, I don't celebrate Thanksgiving. I live here now. Even if I did want to in general, I wouldn't have wanted to last year or this, for obvious reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Dear Black Friday,

fcuk off back to America, ya cnut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Yeah but it's Leeds

Other than arresting peados and a bankrupt soccer team....I know nothing about leeds ▪_▪

Other than arresting peados and a bankrupt soccer team....I know nothing about leeds ▪_▪

That's all you need to know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

It is mostly **** over here. All the sales done by the high street stores are all crap and the 'bargains' are bringing the prices roughly in line with what you could find stuff any other time of the year if you shopped around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I was at an event last Saturday and the Christmas decorations were everywhere, and effing Santa Claus was there. There was Christmas music being played and mince pies. This was the 18th of November, two and a half weeks after Halloween. The lights were switched on in the town the next night. This is the earliest I ever remember this malarkey starting, I now have to endure approx 45 more days of this torture... then they will start shoving Valentines down our throat.

When I was young none of this started until around 15th of Dec.

me_irl wrote: »
    "many places" being Germany?

Nope, here.

Carphone Warehouse. Currys/PC World. And numerous other places have "Black Tag" event plastered around the place.

Nope, here.

Carphone Warehouse. Currys/PC World. And numerous other places have "Black Tag" event plastered around the place.

:pac:

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Frapgenius%2F1347666956_joke-went-over-your-head.gif&f=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Dear Black Friday,

Apparently Black Friday is dieing. Which can only be hailed as a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Black Friday, is just a ploy to get people to buy stupid stuff, that they dont need.

Yeah, but who really wants to get on a flight to Leeds at stopid oclock in the morning.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

We have matched all of our competitors pricing
    : Harvey Norman

Riiiight...so like price fixing? Which is illegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

thelad95 wrote: »

5euro for flight to leeds? any idea where OP?????:D

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Riiiight...so like price fixing? Which is illegal?

That's not price fixing. It takes two to tango.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

D3V!L wrote: »

That's how I feel about Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

This sort of thing makes me lose faith in humanity.

Can you get any lower. Like magpies.

In fairnes there are significant saving to be made particularly on sites like Amazon. I've saved close 30% on one item and 20% on another. These are items I've been tracking as Christmas presents for people for months so I know the reductions are genuine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Dear Black Friday,

And bring your friends Happy Halloween, Baby Shower and Happy Holidays with ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

The real black friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I got a great deal on a coffee machine last year, paid 40 quid for a yoke that normally costs 100 odd. I just happened to see it online and I wanted one so I bought it, wouldn't be into the whole Black Friday hype and can't understand the hysteria over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Yeah but it's Leeds

lived there for years, one of if not the best city to go out on a night out in the UK.

You've probably never been either!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I find it incredibly ironic how the almost weekly debate on housing shortages and the poor childer having to do their homework in a hotel, and the increased number of unfortunates sleeping on the streets etc. are swept under the carpet in the clamour to make Christmas more commercial year on year.

The "magic" of Christmas is waning, and now its all about various companies trying to out-do each other in the sentimental stakes with their christmas adverts, while the gullible have recently become hoodwinked into partaking in "Black Friday". Well guess what, there will be sales in January too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

That's not price fixing. It takes two to tango.

Our Price Promise
    At Euronics Ireland, we are committed to giving our customers the best prices in Ireland. We constantly check our prices to be sure they are the most competitive. We willl match any price if you find it cheaper online.

We’re a confident bunch here at Appliances Delivered. We like to think we’ve got the cheapest prices around. So, if you see one of our products cheaper somewhere else, we'll match that price! Email us and a member of our Customer Support Team will take care of the rest. All you need is the model number of the product you want to buy and a link to the competitor’s product.

They’re all at it.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Our Price Promise
    At Euronics Ireland, we are committed to giving our customers the best prices in Ireland. We constantly check our prices to be sure they are the most competitive. We willl match any price if you find it cheaper online.

We’re a confident bunch here at Appliances Delivered. We like to think we’ve got the cheapest prices around. So, if you see one of our products cheaper somewhere else, we'll match that price! Email us and a member of our Customer Support Team will take care of the rest. All you need is the model number of the product you want to buy and a link to the competitor’s product.

They’re all at it.

That's still not price fixing. Price fixing is being in cahoots with rivals to fix prices, one (or all) retailers unilaterally matching prices is not even close to being that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Quote:

Not much of a sale then, is it, if you can get it from most other places for the same price??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Quote:

Not much of a sale then, is it, if you can get it from most other places for the same price??

That's exactly what I thought when I heard their ad on the radio!
    Great so, no need to go to HN, when I can get it at the same price in Argos, which is closer :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

When did Black Friday become a big thing in Ireland ?
    It seems it's just exploded in the last 3/4 years ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When did Black Friday become a big thing in Ireland ?
    It seems it's just exploded in the last 3/4 years ...

There has being pre Christmas sales with a good while now. It's just them giving them a different name!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I find it incredibly ironic how the almost weekly debate on housing shortages and the poor childer having to do their homework in a hotel, and the increased number of unfortunates sleeping on the streets etc. are swept under the carpet in the clamour to make Christmas more commercial year on year.

The "magic" of Christmas is waning, and now its all about various companies trying to out-do each other in the sentimental stakes with their christmas adverts, while the gullible have recently become hoodwinked into partaking in "Black Friday". Well guess what, there will be sales in January too!

Deals on hotel rooms though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Was that when you were leaving the parking lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Speedwell wrote: »
    I'm an American expat and I think the whole thing is ludicrous if there isn't a Thursday holiday for Black Friday to follow.

No, to answer your next question, I don't celebrate Thanksgiving. I live here now. Even if I did want to in general, I wouldn't have wanted to last year or this, for obvious reasons.

In Canada where I live, they originally started having Black Friday in places near the US border to stop Canadians shopping across the border.
    I really don't get why it's a thing in Ireland though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Its all fun and games until they try to blow-up the super bowl the Goodyear blimp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

marcbrophy wrote: »
    That's exactly what I thought when I heard their ad on the radio!
    Great so, no need to go to HN, when I can get it at the same price in Argos, which is closer :D

I just thought wow, they've knocked off the 15/20% markup they have on their competitors all year round and are now selling at RRP.

#FúckUHarveyNorman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

bargain alerts is a fun place this week and will be manic 2morrow

can't believe that people have been killed queing up for these Black Friday sales in the US. some even skip thanksgiving to que up early

someday I can Thanksgiving celebrations happening all over the world. it's basically a mix of Xmas Eve/day and Stephens day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Jamsiek wrote: »
    In Canada where I live, they originally started having Black Friday in places near the US border to stop Canadians shopping across the border.
    I really don't get why it's a thing in Ireland though

We're seen as a herd of fresh sheep to milk by the American megacorps when the tactics they've been using at home start to lose their magic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

• Advertisement
Advertisement