Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proper form of address

• 22-11-2017 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'd imagine so. Or you could just put X&Y Secondname. Is it for the actual invitation or just the envelope?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

https://www.proz.com/kudoz/English/general_conversation_greetings_letters/5170897-the_female_form_of_messrs.html

Mmes., although this could seem formal in use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Have they both adopted one surname? I think that. starting from people living together without getting married, and women not adopting their spouse's surname, all the rules have been thrown out of the window. I would be inclined to address it to Jane and Joan Murphy, or Jane Smith and Joan Murphy. I agree that Mrs and Mrs looks odd, though maybe lesbian couples would prefer it, in that case go with it. Increasingly Mr and Mrs or Ms are being dropped when addressing letters (letter, what's a letter? :D ) so there is a precedent for it.

• Advertisement

Good point, but the pedant in me would prefer 'the misses Smith'. But then you can't really say 'the missises Smith. Mesdames possibly? I don't think it matters too much really, but you know what...you could always pick up the phone and ask them :D

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

My own rule is that I would only use "Mrs" if the married woman has taken her husband's surname. If a woman has married but retains her maiden name, it's a bit of a grey area; "Ms" offers the easy way out, but if we're being old-school and choosing between "Miss/Mrs", I would say "Miss" would probably be preferable as it signifies a woman is using her maiden name.

My suggestion would be to throw formality out the window and just address the lesbian couple by their first names. That might be inconsistent if you're addressing other couples more formally but they're hardly going to go around comparing their invitations for consistency.

By the way, the standard (insofar as there is one) on this side of the Atlantic is to omit the full stop and say Mr, Miss, Ms, Mrs whereas in the US they would use Mr., Miss, Ms. and Mrs.; practice varies, but if you read a UK or Irish newspaper, omitting the full stop tends to be the practice, and I prefer it because it looks neater.

Advertisement