Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Donegal should be a part of the UK"

• 22-11-2017 12:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭

Funny how the DUP bang on that the Irish Government are trying to stir nonsense up but then former members come up with this beauty:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/donegal-would-be-better-off-in-uk-claims-unionist-peer-kilclooney-36342196.html

Yep a county that is in the EU would be better off breaking away and joining a nation which has ballsed up their future by leaving the EU... sound logic there and to then also attach themselves to a region which relies on heavy subsidies.
    Seems the former DUP member has forgotten how much in EU grants they receive as well.
    My favourite is the "It would be great to have it back in with us", last I checked Donegal was never a part of Northern Ireland.
    Can't see them still receiving 10 billion a year after 2019 but I guess it's best to hold onto dreams.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

bear1 wrote: »
    Funny how the DUP bang on that the Irish Government are trying to stir nonsense up but then former members come up with this beauty:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/donegal-would-be-better-off-in-uk-claims-unionist-peer-kilclooney-36342196.html

Yep a county that is in the EU would be better off breaking away and joining a nation which has ballsed up their future by leaving the EU... sound logic there and to then also attach themselves to a region which relies on heavy subsidies.
    Seems the former DUP member has forgotten how much in EU grants they receive as well.
    My favourite is the "It would be great to have it back in with us", last I checked Donegal was never a part of Northern Ireland.
    Can't see them still receiving 10 billion a year after 2019 but I guess it's best to hold onto dreams.

I'm guessing by back with us he meant like before partition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Looking at partition it is a bit odd that Donegal was not included in the deal, no doubt someone can tell me why it wasn't.

Would it tip a possible reunification vote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I think if Theresa May lasts until March 2019, tbe Brexit date, its only becsuse no other Conservative MP wants the job.
    After that date, and a very likely general election, the DUP may find themselves all on their lonesome again.

Looking at partition it is a bit odd that Donegal was not included in the deal, no doubt someone can tell me why it wasn't.
    Including it wouldn't have guaranteed a unionist majority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,692 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

catholic / protestant make up I'd imagine

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

Demographics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

That chap is getting on now.
    I wouldn't get irked or upset in any way about his commentary.

Besides, the practice of leaving Donegal for work hardly began in 1921.

Although I would be of that minority view here that leaving the EU is good on the whole for Britain's future, the move is their idea and their problem to solve in all aspects including borders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

He also misspelled Ireland three different ways

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/offbeat/former-unionist-politician-says-donegal-should-leave-southern-urekand-1.3300847
    John Taylor castigated ‘Irekabd’, ‘Irekand’ and ‘Southern Urekand’ for ‘scheming’ with the EU

maybe he was a bit drunk

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Having lived in a Unionist part of Northern Ireland, it really does seem to me that this moron is about typical of many DUP voters.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Grayson wrote: »

Anyone remember when newspapers had sub-editors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I think he means to a time before the formation of the Free State.

Whilst it might be the most Northern County in the ROI, boarders a good chunk of NI, and Leinster House seems to forget its exsistance at time, doesn't mean it should be part of NI. The DUP are just trying to stir things up, on the back of Brexit, and their cosying up to the Tories and Theresa May.

London, can barely afford NI as it is, do you really think they want probably the most remote, population spread of the 26 Counties as well. The Tories are only involved with this crazy party to prop up the government, and have no interest in any hair brained ideas that they may have.

Dopes the lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

To be fair if they where part of the UK they probably would have been looked after more than they are as part of Ireland. Donegal are just forgotten about. No public transport, very little in terms of Gardai and Medical care. Even the Broadband is rubbish.

Donegal would have been better off as part of the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Ah yes, what a splendid idea. It would be much better to be ignored by London instead of being ignored by Dublin.

Yeah, Donegal would do well in Northern Ireland, just like all the other counties west of the Bann have done so well. There'll be train lines and motorways and all sorts of infrastructure built in Donegal then...

https://sluggerotoole.com/2017/06/28/the-400m-for-infrastructure-in-the-conservative-dup-agreement-will-only-exacerbate-northern-irelands-east-west-divide/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mr.H wrote: »
    To be fair if they where part of the UK they probably would have been looked after more than they are as part of Ireland. Donegal are just forgotten about. No public transport, very little in terms of Gardai and Medical care. Even the Broadband is rubbish.

Donegal would have been better off as part of the UK

Northern Ireland hasn't been looked after at all. Its sole major industry is obtaining handouts from Westminster. At least Donegal will still be part of the EU.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

There is some logic that regional services for Donegal would be more naturally provided by Derry rather than say Galway. (E.g. medical, education)

That doesn't mean becoming part of the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I think he means to a time before the formation of the Free State.

Whilst it might be the most Northern County in the ROI, boarders a good chunk of NI, and Leinster House seems to forget its exsistance at time, doesn't mean it should be part of NI. The DUP are just trying to stir things up, on the back of Brexit, and their cosying up to the Tories and Theresa May.

London, can barely afford NI as it is, do you really think they want probably the most remote, population spread of the 26 Counties as well. The Tories are only involved with this crazy party to prop up the government, and have no interest in any hair brained ideas that they may have.

Dopes the lot of them.

+1, I think though that Leo is the first PM in a while to want new things for Donegal or even the NW with his talk of providing better links to the capital.
    Whether he actually moves forward with this is another thing.
    Gotta love how they are huffing and puffing at the South but yet will be perfectly happy with the government here giving them money to built their A5..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I can imagine that Taylor's tongue was firmly in his cheek and is very amused at how people react to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Actually after partition the boundary commission had advised parts of East Donegal should have been in NI and places like South Armagh, South Down, parts of Derry, Tyrone, Fermanagh should be in the Free State.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

This. The only benefit of Donegal becoming part of NI, is not having to cross a any sort of border. This fella knows this, the DUP knows it. You only have to go to Derry, Strabane, and Enniskillen, and see all the Donegal Cars.

I can imagine that Taylor's tongue was firmly in his cheek and is very amused at how people react to this.

Based on what I've seen of the DUP, I can't imagine that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Ah lads, come here to me. This guy was from the UUP.

The rest of the salient points have bee covered. Stirring it, possibly after a few dwinkies and is it too late to transfer Donegal into the UK? :pac: Would make a UI a lot more likely, and a certainty in the not too distant future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Love Donegal, the lost county. :angel:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Love Donegal, the lost county. :angel:

Only if you take Monaghan and Cavan as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

i dont think twitter has sub-editors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,135 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

When the goal was to create a sectarian protestant state for a protestant people why would you have included Donegal?

I suspect Taylor was ar meisce ar dualgas on the auld Black Bush.

Based on what I've seen of the DUP, I can't imagine that.

Taylor is smarter than that. He has a history of being a maverick and, despite being shot by the IRA and being deeply unionist, he often went against the mainstream.

• Advertisement

Taylor is smarter than that. He has a history of being a maverick and, despite being shot by the IRA and being deeply unionist, he often went against the mainstream.

From what I remember he was decent enough, though I think he may have hardened his stance since moving to the House of Lords.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

For the same reason that Cavan and Monaghan were left out despite being in the province of Ulster. Not enough protestants.

What does Donegal have that he wants though? Surely not all the SF voters...

+1, I think though that Leo is the first PM in a while to want new things for Donegal or even the NW with his talk of providing better links to the capital.
    Whether he actually moves forward with this is another thing.
    Gotta love how they are huffing and puffing at the South but yet will be perfectly happy with the government here giving them money to built their A5..

Through the North is the most direct route north of Barnsmore Gap as well, of course Storment would want Leinster House to pay a chunk of it as, would also get revenue from people stopping along the way to refresh, eat, and shop as well, its a win win for them. Other than the Motorways around Belfast and few roads in and out of Derry, the road network around NI is pretty shocking.

Leo would be better off giving money towards roads IN Donegal, and on the N15 through Sligo and Leitrim to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Including it wouldn't have guaranteed a unionist majority.

Neither did Derry but gerrymandering fixed that.

Shoppers in NI Western Border Towns.

• Advertisement

The thinking was that they would abandon southern unionists to their fate on the basis that
    "that it was better for two-thirds of passengers to save themselves than for all to drown"

Taylor is having guilt pangs maybe? :rolleyes:

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Shoppers in NI Western Border Towns.

They already have that thanks to the absence of a border his party wants to reintroduce.

They already have that thanks to the absence of a border his party wants to reintroduce.

But if they are part of NI, they wouldn't have to cross any re established Border.

Doengal would still be as forgotten in all other terms as they are now.

Surely not... He doesn't want Donegal at all. He's only stirring the pot for his own amusement.

From what I remember he was decent enough, though I think he may have hardened his stance since moving to the House of Lords.

He did try to reach out at times, to be fair, but his Unionist DNA always won out.

• Advertisement

Surely not... He doesn't want Donegal at all. He's only stirring the pot for his own amusement.

It's more like impotent rage, if you ask me. Expect a lot more of this as control ebbs away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭tooManyChoices

The effect on Irish territorial waters would be pretty interesting.

Presumably we'd lose a fair chunk of resource/fishing rights.

It's more like impotent rage, if you ask me. Expect a lot more of this as control ebbs away.

Agreed, we can expect rage as things proceed along the Brexit path and some of it won't be impotent unfortunately. Taylor has been active in politics for over 50 years in NI and London and was on the Policing Board. He's an intelligent man who didn't always toe the line. My sense of Taylor these days is that he is past the point of caring too much and is just amusing himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

That was his tweets last night

He may well have a valid point about Donegal being neglected sonewhat by Ireland but he's deluded if he thinks it would be in any better shape under London. Westminster didnt give a toss about Norn Iron until they needed the sectarian dinosaurs from the DUP to prop up their shambling government. I'd say most Brits wouldn't be particularly bothered if the six counties were handed back to Ireland; they certainly wouldn't miss them as much as they would have the Scots, had the latter been been bold enough to go independent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

This is a great idea, we could relocate all our old, sick, homeless and unemployed to Donegal and then let the north annex it. Imaging that, instant solution to the pending pension time bomb, hospital waiting lists would be cleared overnight, no more homeless problem the benefits are countless...

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Also apart fr0m demographics most of the land is crap farmland

I'm from the UK and the last thing I want is to go back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

He has put an idea in my head. The 26 counties should vote to rejoin the 6 counties within the UK.

Then immediately look for an independence vote for the entire island to leave the UK.

United Ireland achieved by the dilution of the unionist vote across the 32 counties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

joe_99 wrote: »
    He has put an idea in my head. The 26 counties should vote to rejoin the 6 counties within the UK.

Then immediately look for an independence vote for the entire island to leave the UK.

United Ireland achieved by the dilution of the unionist vote across the 32 counties.

I see one or two flaws with that idea..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

They're looking to poach Coleman for the NI soccer team

• Advertisement
Advertisement