Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Donegal should be a part of the UK"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

perhaps we could tunnel under it instead?

We would have to dig three tunnels, just in case one of them was found.

We could call them: Thom D and Harr

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

No, it shouldn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Apart from Bundoran, Donegal connects with the rest of the country at one point only, and that's Ballyshannon bridge. Otherwise we are landlocked by Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Think I’ll rejoin Nazi Germany first.

How many threads have you Godwin’d?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Ipso wrote: »
    So he wants Donegal to be part of Ulster.

It already is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

Zebra3 wrote: »
    It already is.

I’m with you. People who use Ulster and N******* Ireland interchangeably are the scum of humanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Apart from Bundoran, Donegal connects with the rest of the country at one point only, and that's Ballyshannon bridge. Otherwise we are landlocked by Northern Ireland.

Theres 2 bridges in ballyshannon now.
    And id be happy to cede bundoran to leitrim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Zebra3 wrote: »
    It already is.

I think that was the joke.
    I’m with you. People who use Ulster and N******* Ireland interchangeably are the scum of humanity.

Really :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Brego888 wrote: »
    I'm from North Donegal and working in Dublin. I'm not looking forward to producing my passport twice to drive home.

Go via Sligo, we need all the visitors we can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I wonder would they take Cavan instead of Donegal or at least Leitrim :P

• Advertisement

davidk1394 wrote: »
    I wonder would they take Cavan instead of Donegal or at least Leitrim :P

No-one would take Cavan off us. My suggestion would be (seeing as it's already 50% lakes) to flood the entire place and use it as a reservoir. Also would create a nice border against the non-Eu-UK nordieland post brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

They can have it if they want it. And any others up around this side of the border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭tooManyChoices

No-one would take Cavan off us. My suggestion would be (seeing as it's already 50% lakes) to flood the entire place and use it as a reservoir. Also would create a nice border against the non-Eu-UK nordieland post brexit.

That's just daft!

The geography is all wrong. It's all smallish rolling drumlins and ponds, you'd never get enough capacity to make it worth your while.

That's just daft!

The geography is all wrong. It's all smallish rolling drumlins and ponds, you'd never get enough capacity to make it worth your while.

Aye, you're right. We'll have to flood Longford just to be sure.

retalivity wrote: »
    Theres 2 bridges in ballyshannon now.
    And id be happy to cede bundoran to leitrim

I'm asleep at the wheel here! I forgot there is now a second bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Going by the amount of cars up there on UK plates, I don't think that's going to be a deal-breaker tbh.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Stranger things have happened Permabear.. we had a guy elected one year who was standing against the proposed removal of the masts which enabled Donegal to recieve broadcast signal from Northern Ireland, which would have meant us losing the BBCs, UTV and Ch4. He had only ever been to Dublin once before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,748 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Maybe Taylor has a wee holiday bolt hole about Rosnowlagh he doesn't want to be cut off from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Maybe Taylor has a wee holiday bolt hole about Rosnowlagh he doesn't want to be cut off from?

Or maybe in Fundoran.

bear1 wrote: »
    Funny how the DUP bang on that the Irish Government are trying to stir nonsense up but then former members come up with this beauty:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/donegal-would-be-better-off-in-uk-claims-unionist-peer-kilclooney-36342196.html

Ah, John Taylor, he who has spent a lifetime being a superstar, notion-filled charmless prick oozing conceit and a ridiculously affected English accent - now with an appropriately pompous title.

From his days as a cabinet member of the old Stormont régime involved in organising internment and assassinations of Irish people John Taylor has always been an obnoxious establishment anti-Irish prick, and he'll only ever be an obnoxious establishment anti-Irish prick. Poor Joe McCann (1947-1972).

JS116273876_troubles-NEWS_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq2ZlbQtBkn7untbS-U52ZAo1h3SkfYzHjHJbkQNF1NiQ.jpg?imwidth=450

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

As long as we can go back to the days when we could draw the dole on one side and work on the other we don't care who rules us.

As long as we can go back to the days when we could draw the dole on one side and work on the other we don't care who rules us.

Check out the amount of northern reg cars on dole day in Donegal..

If Donegal was to become part of norn iron, Sligo and Leitrim would become very busy mid-week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Having lived in a Unionist part of Northern Ireland, it really does seem to me that this moron is about typical of many DUP voters.

In fairness, those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

We elected Bertie Ahern Taoiseach three times. When I say we, I mean not me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Check out the amount of northern reg cars on dole day in Donegal..

If Donegal was to become part of norn iron, Sligo and Leitrim would become very busy mid-week.

A cousin of mine used to work in the post office in Ballymagroarty, she used to take great delight in asking the muckers who signed their giro in Irish if they wanted it paid in punts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I don't get the dole thing, surely northern Irish citizens can't simply cross over and draw the dole?
    Sure don't you need to have paid a certain amount of prsi before you are entitled to It?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

In fairness, those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

We elected Bertie Ahern Taoiseach three times. When I say we, I mean not me.

I don't recall Bertie being linked to terrorism or violence though.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I don't get the dole thing, surely northern Irish citizens can't simply cross over and draw the dole?
    Sure don't you need to have paid a certain amount of prsi before you are entitled to It?

Sorry, I deleted my post before I read yours.. I thought mine was a bit controversial.

It's a good point, I'm not sure how it works that you can pop over the border and claim in the south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Sorry, I deleted my post before I read yours.. I thought mine was a bit controversial.

It's a good point, I'm not sure how it works that you can pop over the border and claim in the south.

well you lie and give an address in the south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Down here anyway you have Jobseekers Benefit and Jobseekers Allowance. Can never recall which is which. But one is based on PRSI contribs and the other isn't. I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

In other words should Donegal become more sectarian, leave the EU and become a lot poorer. No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Surly this proposal would tip the balance of nationlists to unionists permenantly in favour of nationlism

There's a reason why it wasn't taken in 1922?

Surly this proposal would tip the balance of nationlists to unionists permenantly in favour of nationlism

There's a reason why it wasn't taken in 1922?

Part of Donegal almost was included in the 6 counties, but it would have involved re-drawing the county boundary. Carson's decision not to include Donegal in the province was because the population was predominantly Catholic, but he did want the border to extend out as far as Raphoe because in doing so, there would be 2,000 extra Unionists in the province. Also, South Armagh was to be included in ROI resulting in 25,000 Nationalists living south of the border.
    In November 1925 the Morning Post disclosed that the commission would recommend the transfer of South Armagh to the Free State and of part of East Donegal to Northern Ireland, resulting in a net gain of 25,000 Catholics for the South, and 2,000 Protestants for the North.

The Cosgrave cabinet preferred no change to the loss of East Donegal (it would probably be too unkind to say, to the gain of South Armagh!). Cosgrave hurried to London where he quickly agreed with Craig and Baldwin to suppress the report, and to accept the status quo.

His one gain was to secure waiving of Free State liability for part of the British (national) debt which it had incurred under article 5 of the Treaty. MacNeill felt that he could also probably have secured the waiving of the land annuities had he pushed hard enough for them, and thus deprived de Valera of a lethal electoral weapon in later years.397

397 N. Mansergh, 'Eoin MacNeill – a reappraisal', Studies, 73 (Summer 1974), p. 140; G.J.Hand, 'MacNeill and the Boundary Commission', in Martin and Byrne (eds.), Scholar Revolutionary, p. 272.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

steddyeddy wrote: »
    In other words should Donegal become more sectarian, leave the EU and become a lot poorer. No.
    This is really it. Ignoring the question of leaving the EU, would anyone claim that Northern Ireland has been well curated by the mainland? Nope, it's been a millstone around the neck of the UK that most British people were unaware of until Theresa May had to scrape the bottom of the barrel to form a government.

Donegal does often complain that it gets forgotten about, but how much worse off would it be as the second smallest county in NI and the furthest from London (politically and geographically)?

seamus wrote: »
    This is really it. Ignoring the question of leaving the EU, would anyone claim that Northern Ireland has been well curated by the mainland? Nope, it's been a millstone around the neck of the UK that most British people were unaware of until Theresa May had to scrape the bottom of the barrel to form a government.

Donegal does often complain that it gets forgotten about, but how much worse off would it be as the second smallest county in NI and the furthest from London (politically and geographically)?

the British Tories relied on the Unionist vote to carry them over the line at the elections, and in return the Unionists got what they wanted from the Tories, once they were in power. This is one of the reasons that NI was important to the UK, also maybe the strategic port of Derry and Lough Foyle, and Belfast Harbour.

Indeed, Donegal would be very much on the periphery if we were to become part of the UK. We would be of absolute no benefit to the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

seamus wrote: »

Donegal is largest county in ulster and 4th largest in ireland?

How is suddenly going to become 2nd smallest in NI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Looking at partition it is a bit odd that Donegal was not included in the deal, no doubt someone can tell me why it wasn't.

Numbers, Gerry Mandering and the Billy Boys might have had a fairer scrap on their hands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

They can have it if they want it. And any others up around this side of the border.

Maybe we could do a swap deal, take Armagh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Donegal is largest county in ulster and 4th largest in ireland?

How is suddenly going to become 2nd smallest in NI?
    Population wise. Geographic area is of no consequence to a region's importance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Some loyal unionist you are willing to hand away portadown and its loyal orange followers.

Have to laugh at Taylor who obviously missed being provocative and out of the limelight. Anything but be constructive on real issues such as brexit and this island.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Some loyal unionist you are willing to hand away portadown and its loyal orange followers.

Have to laugh at Taylor who obviously missed being provocative and out of the limelight. Anything but be constructive on real issues such as brexit and this island.
    New housing in Donegal will be provided for my fellow brothers and sisters in the struggle. 8-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

New housing in Donegal will be provided for my fellow brothers and sisters in the struggle. 8-)

They could march up and down the road to their hearts content only differences being not the queens highway and people would just laugh at them. They'd soon become contented irish people like their east Donegal brothers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

That is not what happens, I am from just outside Moville so pretty close to Derry.

Cars in the north are much cheaper. People will buy a car in Derry, register the car to a someone they know who lives up there and drive the Nothern Reg car in the state.

It is why the Customs are out every other weekend trying to catch people going to work with their NI Reg cars.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Seems like your man is in a bit of hot water at the moment over referring to Varadkar as 'the Indian', Lord Killooney needs to lay off the twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Seems like your man is in a bit of hot water at the moment over referring to Varadkar as 'the Indian', Lord Killooney needs to lay off the BATTER

fyp

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They could march up and down the road to their hearts content only differences being not the queens highway and people would just laugh at them. They'd soon become contented irish people like their east Donegal brothers.
    Actually Article 40 of our constitution guarantees
    "The right of the citizens to assemble
    peaceably and without arms."

so none of that Parades Commission bollocks.

That is not what happens, I am from just outside Moville so pretty close to Derry.

Cars in the north are much cheaper. People will buy a car in Derry, register the car to a someone they know who lives up there and drive the Nothern Reg car in the state.

It is why the Customs are out every other weekend trying to catch people going to work with their NI Reg cars.

sorry for the confusion, the post I deleted had to do with northern dole recipients who claim in the south, hence the increase in northern reg cars in Donegal on dole day. I understand how people avoid VRT by registering cars in the way you mentioned.

(no offense to people from the north that do this, Im not giving out)

Seems like your man is in a bit of hot water at the moment over referring to Varadkar as 'the Indian', Lord Killooney needs to lay off the twitter

he claims it has to do with the limited amount of characters you are allowed to use on Twitter, so he had to abbreviate the Tweet to 'Indian'... didn't Twitter recently increase their character quota to 280 though?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

This isn't the 1920's, there ain't no Unionist 'we' speaking for all the people in the north any more - you're a minority now. Just concentrate on keeping the majority happy if you want to keep the British paying for the northeast of Ireland to remain under English jurisdiction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

back in 1920's why did the UK decide too keep the northern counties and not maybe take coastal areas like Wexford/Waterford/Cork/Limerick/Galway etc. ???

Advertisement