Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Donegal should be a part of the UK"

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Kerryman79

PTH2009 wrote: »
    back in 1920's why did the UK decide too keep the northern counties and not maybe take coastal areas like Wexford/Waterford/Cork/Limerick/Galway etc. ???

They had the use of the treaty ports

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

PTH2009 wrote: »
    back in 1920's why did the UK decide too keep the northern counties and not maybe take coastal areas like Wexford/Waterford/Cork/Limerick/Galway etc. ???

Much more difficult to defend against a hostile population. Also, they retained control of a Cork Harbour, Lough Swilly and Berehaven until 1938.

wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_Ports_Ireland

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

he claims it has to do with the limited amount of characters you are allowed to use on Twitter, so he had to abbreviate the Tweet to 'Indian'... didn't Twitter recently increase their character quota to 280 though?

And he was apparently spelling it correctly earlier in the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,135 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Much more difficult to defend against a hostile population. Also, they retained control of a Cork Harbour, Lough Swilly and Berehaven until 1938.

wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_Ports_Ireland

Which was always the 'real' selfish and strategic interest in Ireland. Unionists please note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

he claims it has to do with the limited amount of characters you are allowed to use on Twitter, so he had to abbreviate the Tweet to 'Indian'... didn't Twitter recently increase their character quota to 280 though?

it did. his apology tweet is longer than the tweet is it apologising for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

it did. his apology tweet is longer than the tweet is it apologising for.

he is a rare buck...

Apparently John Taylor has a holiday home in Dunfanaghy, I just heard yesterday.

he is a rare buck...

Apparently John Taylor has a holiday home in Dunfanaghy, I just heard yesterday.

not quite the words i would use to describe him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Dunfanaghy makes a bit more sense than the earlier-mentioned Fundoran (IRA summer camp). He is sick of keeping the euro account I suppose and changing to kmph in his head.

Not sure how it is racist all the same to refer to somebody as a national of their parents' land. Unless one was to feel that Indian is in some way inferior, which would of course absolutely positively definitely be racist, oddly enough.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

topper75 wrote: »
    Dunfanaghy makes a bit more sense than the earlier-mentioned Fundoran (IRA summer camp). He is sick of keeping the euro account I suppose and changing to kmph in his head.

Not sure how it is racist all the same to refer to somebody as a national of their parents' land. Unless one was to feel that Indian is in some way inferior, which would of course absolutely positively definitely be racist, oddly enough.
    It's a common racist tactic to imply immigrants and their children are still foreigners, not really the same and as good or deserving as the 'pure' natives. Nothing to do with India specifically, odd you would think that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Maybe we could do a swap deal, take Armagh.

This isn't the 1920's, there ain't no Unionist 'we' speaking for all the people in the north any more - you're a minority now. Just concentrate on keeping the majority happy if you want to keep the British paying for the northeast of Ireland to remain under English jurisdiction.
    More delusion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Mr.H wrote: »
    Donegal are just forgotten about. No public transport, very little in terms of Gardai and Medical care. Even the Broadband is rubbish.

You have just of course described virtually every single county outside of Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

topper75 wrote: »
    Down here anyway you have Jobseekers Benefit and Jobseekers Allowance. Can never recall which is which. But one is based on PRSI contribs and the other isn't. I know.

It still doesn't explain how someone from the North could simply come here, get an address and then claim.
    If it's true then it's a seriously idiotic flaw in our system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Swap Donegal for Fermanagh, Armagh & Down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

bear1 wrote: »
    It still doesn't explain how someone from the North could simply come here, get an address and then claim.
    If it's true then it's a seriously idiotic flaw in our system.

There's nothing to stop them doing it.

Well, not until they're caught, which is a rarity.

There's nothing to stop them doing it.

Well, not until they're caught, which is a rarity.

And the department of welfare simply approves payments just like that?

And the department of welfare simply approves payments just like that?

Nope, but if someone has supporting evidence to say they live here how do they prove otherwise?

Nope, but if someone has supporting evidence to say they live here how do they prove otherwise?

I'd have thought a check on the address.
    I mean if the person is claiming the dole then they need to social services card right? So it seems highly strange that someone pops over the border, gets an address and signs on with no records of the person and such.
    Not saying it isn't true but a shambles if that's the case.

I mean if the person is claiming the dole then they need to social services card right? So it seems highly strange that someone pops over the border, gets an address and signs on with no records of the person and such.

It's a lot easier to get proof of address than proof of nodress.

the new public services card is supposed to make this more difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

From what I know, a person has to claim that they have been forced to move over the border to the south, because of anti social behaviour. It was the reason which was automatically given to the welfare office by those who were from northern Ireland looking to sign on in the south. I think it's a legal thing that they can't be refused if it's for this reason.

• Advertisement

The contrast between John Taylor and his notions and the humility and down-to-earth interview with Mike Nesbitt (former UUP leader) on Marian Finucane's radio programme this minute is stark. A really interesting interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The contrast between John Taylor and his notions and the humility and down-to-earth interview with Mike Nesbitt (former UUP leader) on Marian Finucane's radio programme this minute is stark. A really interesting interview.

I still think Taylor is trolling. This tweet from yesterday:

“Simon Coveney is stirring things up . Very dangerous non statesman like role! Clearly hoping to undermine the Indian.”

Followed by this tweet after an outcry:

"In Twitter one is restricted to a limited number of words and so for shorthand I used the term Indian for the new PM in Dublin. This has caused upset and misunderstanding and so I withdraw it. I am no way racist and accept that Varadkar is 100 percent Irish Citizen."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Despite the fact that Taylor spelled Varadker right in an earlier tweet. Like a lot of old unionists he's most likely racist.

I still think Taylor is trolling. This tweet from yesterday:

“Simon Coveney is stirring things up . Very dangerous non statesman like role! Clearly hoping to undermine the Indian.”

Followed by this tweet after an outcry:

"In Twitter one is restricted to a limited number of words and so for shorthand I used the term Indian for the new PM in Dublin. This has caused upset and misunderstanding and so I withdraw it. I am no way racist and accept that Varadkar is 100 percent Irish Citizen."
    He is just a good ole Ulsterman winding themuns up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Themuns being Indian people now. Would unionists not just stick with hating Catholics and gays?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Yeah, theres nothing like keeping the grand old traditions of racism, ignorance and sectarianism going. What kind of mad world would it be otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Themuns being Indian people now. Would unionists not just stick with hating Catholics and gays?

But, they have sooo much Hate to give.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,135 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Somebody needs to take the whiskey off that man.
    Whiskey and racism don't mix. He should stick to water.:D

Odhinn wrote: »

Yeah, theres nothing like keeping the grand old traditions of racism, ignorance and sectarianism going.  What kind of mad world would it be otherwise.
    That's the world for you mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

And jesus forbid we try to change it in any way.

I'm not your mate btw.

Odhinn;105375545

And jesus forbid we try to change it in any way.

I'm not your mate btw.

:D

My reference was towards the Donegal comments, not the Indian comment.

Advertisement