Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blamed for something I didn't cause

Options
  • 22-11-2017 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I can't go into too much detail on this post for fear of someone recognising me…

Recently there was a problem in the company which fell under my responsibility. The problem had a massive impact on the company and it was up to me to sort out. I worked everyday on the problem for long hours. I even worked late on Friday evening and over the weekend to sort the problem but was still unable to solve it.

The whole thing caused me so much stress. It affected my mood, my sleeping and even my health.

Yesterday I found out that the problem was caused by a someone else in the company and it was the actions of this person that meant that I could not have solved the problem.

I'm really annoyed because I was made to feel 2-foot tall. I constantly had emails from upper management saying that having this problem was impacting on the company's reputation.

I like the job but I'm annoyed at being made to feel like this.

I'm just curious to know what other people would do in this situation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

You were scapegoated. I had something similar in a particular role.. had to put in the hours, spent so much effort trying to avoid the blame, but I think it's a case of you lie with a dog and you get fleas. You got a poison chalice.. and the people (not the person - because there was an entire management team brimming with incompetence and trying to cover their own arses) who were responsible got away with it.

Now it seems like things have blown over. But your reputation in the company is pretty damaged.

So the questions are: how are things in the company now? can you settle back into your role, or do you need to leave? Is your health back to normal, or are you still anxious? And what exactly do you want now?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

Why not tell the person, that you know they caused the issue, and tell them if they don't own up, you'll let others know.
    Can you gather proof to cover yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Walk in tomorrow morning and open a can of Whoop Ass on the person responsible in front of the whole office

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

The problem had a massive impact on the company and it was up to me to sort out.

If it had a massive impact and you were in charge to sort it out you could call for an investigation afterwards. You can claim that the reason for the investigation is to avoid a similar thing happening again in the future. Part of the investigation will then be why it happened which will then clear your name without that you fingerpointed at someone. Any findings will be reported to all relevant people. You don't have to drive the investigation but obviously you can offer to assist with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm really annoyed because I was made to feel 2-foot tall. I constantly had emails from upper management saying that having this problem was impacting on the company's reputation.

I think you need to make known to management your displeasure at the level of stress you've been affected by the actions of this person. Specifically that even though it was your area of responsibility, you weren't able to deal with it effectively due to those actions being out of your control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The person who caused it, do they have much pull in the job?
    Should they not I would be saying it was them. Tell the truth and say you recently found out it who was responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Do up a RCA (Root cause analysis) and outline the exact cause. It should be a technical document, so you don't tell a story, you just document the facts. If someone has an issue with the facts, so be it.

Advertisement