Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balfe Road Walkinstown Homeless Shelter

Options
  • 22-11-2017 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

On the 15th of November 2017, Dublin City Council announced a decision that the units behind the Bank of Ireland, on Balfe Road, Dublin 12, would be repurposed to provide 24/7 accomodation for 50-70 homeless people.

None of the local residents informed and a campaign has been lodged to object to this.

If you live in the area and object you need to contact your local T.D. now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I don't mean to be smart, or disingenuous, or whatever - but there's blue murder about the homeless situation over the last few years, calls for anyone and everyone to do something about it - now DCC are actually doing something about it, and there's blue murder about that.

I'm sorry, but this smacks of NIMBYism at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I'd like to hear exactly what the objection is but at first reading it does seem like NIMBYism.

Everyone want's the homeless housed. Just not near them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Serious drug addicts, sex offenders and people with psychiatric conditions will be housed here from my understanding.

The Council bypassed normal planning permission and zoning regulations by using 179(6) b of the planning act 2000.

A Creche is just across the road from here and local schools. Recently a KFC got refused because of location near schools but this is ok? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭francois

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Serious drug addicts, sex offenders and people with psychiatric conditions will be housed here from my understanding.

I'd need evidence for this-I live down the road btw, and don't have any objection, last thing the area needs is another fast food outlet as well

• Registered Users Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The Council bypassed normal planning permission and zoning regulations by using 179(6) b of the planning act 2000.

A Creche is just across the road from here and local schools. Recently a KFC got refused because of location near schools but this is ok? Seriously?

That's a big claim there, do you have anything to back that up?

I'm not saying you're right or wrong by the way, but that's the kind of scandal-mongering statement that whips up a frenzy of feeling/panic in a neighbourhood, and shouldn't be thrown out casually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 amascid

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I guess it could be inferred from homeless stats?

** Meeting of residents and public representatives in relation to homeless shelter proposed for Balfe Road**

There is a meeting arranged by the Walkinstown Action Group for local residents with queries relating to the proposed Homeless Shelter on Balfe Road and local public representatives are invited.

The meeting is to be held at Drimnagh Castle Primary School between 7-9pm on Monday 27th November 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 obrienl5

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I'm not saying you're right or wrong by the way, but that's the kind of scandal-mongering statement that whips up a frenzy of feeling/panic in a neighbourhood, and shouldn't be thrown out casually.

This information was on a leaflet that was posted in the doors of the houses in the area. There was no source given for the information and it reeks of scaremongering. People in the area seem to have genuinely believed the 'facts' in this leaflet and are reacting badly to it. If DCC had given more information people would not have panicked so much.

According to the last homeless figures in July there were 145 people who were homeless in Dublin 12 and over 8,000 homeless people in Ireland in September (information from focus Ireland). While temporary shelter will not fix the problem it does give some breathing space to DCC and the individuals involved.

I live in this area and the amount of NIMBYism I have been seeing on social media is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Is there anywhere I can sign up to say I agree with the location of this shelter?

Wheety wrote: »
    Is there anywhere I can sign up to say I agree with the location of this shelter?

- No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

** Meeting of residents and public representatives in relation to homeless shelter proposed for Balfe Road**

There is a meeting arranged by the Walkinstown Action Group for local residents with queries relating to the proposed Homeless Shelter on Balfe Road and local public representatives are invited.

The meeting is to be held at Drimnagh Castle Primary School between 7-9pm on Monday 27th November 2017.
    Wheety wrote: »

Go to the meeting to show your support. I'm sure they will listen to balanced arguments from both sides.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I live in the area and I'll be contacting my TDs to tell them I support this facility.

It was so cold this morning I was shivering going to work, can't imaging what it would be like to have to spend the night in it.

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    I live in the area and I'll be contacting my TDs to tell them I support this facility.

It was so cold this morning I was shivering going to work, can't imaging what it would be like to have to spend the night in it.

I never thought of that Ciaran_B. That's a great idea. I think I will be doing that as well.

Just got a letter from Catherine Byrne TD FG ending with "Hiding this problem away is not the solution."

Dublin City Council hid away the workmen working on this site until they got found out.

If we have a general election in the next few weeks this will be the major local issue.

Might even see an Independent go up on this issue alone. They would have my vote if they oppose this shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Might even see an Independent go up on this issue alone. They would have my vote if they oppose this shelter.

Another single issue Independent TD, just what we need in Parliament. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Just got a letter from Catherine Byrne TD FG ending with "Hiding this problem away is not the solution."

Dublin City Council hid away the workmen working on this site until they got found out.

If we have a general election in the next few weeks this will be the major local issue.

No TD - particularly an independent backbencher, will have any influence on DCC policy. You need to come to terms with the reality that you’ll have a homeless shelter in your neighborhood. Disgraceful NIMBYism to oppose a measure to help address a problem universally acknowledged as requiring attention in the city.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057812658 - Bank of Ireland dont want to know.

snip

I've already advised some OAP's in the area on this who are very scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

They're most likely scared as a result of the hysterical reaction of the NIMBYs. A calm, mature and caring response to this may have been a better way to inform the OAPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

What do you think is going to happen if this much needed homeless shelter opens?

• Advertisement

Rightly so. Your Henny Penny routine isn't anything any bank branch (or OAP) should entertain.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

snip

Are they going to construct some special anti-homeless barriers or something to placate your nonsense?

- Bank of Ireland dont want to know.

We are you spending your time scaring OAPs. Surely you could be doing something more positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Were they scared before or after you started in with the hyperbole?

....... wrote: »

Its pretty ignorant to say that locals are stereotyping homeless. I recently saw some stats that showed that about 25% of homeless take heroin, compared to 0.7% in the general population. About 40% of homeless people take hard drugs.. This would indicate that out of a sample of 50 people that at least 10 will be heroin addicts. Since drugs will be prohibited in the shelter where do you think the needles will end up? Locals as well as parents who have kids in the creche across the road and the nearby schools have a right to be concerned. Don't you think? Would you not be concerned?

Check out the IMO Addiction and Dependency IMO Position Paper if you doubt the stats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

I'm all for helping the homeless etc... The decent ones.

But in general, all these places do attract scumbags. I feel sorry for the older people on Balfe road when their houses are being burgled by junkies. Or young parents seeing drug pushers near their kids. Cars getting broken into, paedophiles near the schools etc.

I can guarantee if this does go ahead, in a year or two this whole area will be an absolute ****hole.

All well and good jumping down the OPs throat, have any of you ever contacted your own local TDs and tried to get one put on your own doorstep? Didn't think. Haha. 'I live in Dundalk's and I'm all for the homeless shelter on Balfe road'

....... wrote: »

I'm not sure what point you're making but the shelter will only hold 40-50 people. If you're housing 50 people (whether they are homeless or not) and statistics show that approx 20% of them take heroin and 40% take hard drugs then its not a place you want your kids to be near..

I live in the area and I am in full support of the homeless shelter. This is not a night shelter so there will be no reason to have people 'attracted' to it as there will be no queuing or self-referral.

This could be used as a learning experience for children but it seems more likely that all a lot of children in the area will be learning is to be as hostile to people who are down on their luck as their parents are. Maybe you should volunteer with a homeless shelter and then you would have a better idea of the type of people who are becoming homeless in Ireland. They are not "in general" the "scumbags" you would view them as.

• Advertisement

Bandito909 wrote: »
    I'm all for helping the homeless etc... The decent ones.

But in general, all these places do attract scumbags. I feel sorry for the older people on Balfe road when their houses are being burgled by junkies. Or young parents seeing drug pushers near their kids. Cars getting broken into, paedophiles near the schools etc.

I can guarantee if this does go ahead, in a year or two this whole area will be an absolute ****hole.

All well and good jumping down the OPs throat, have any of you ever contacted your own local TDs and tried to get one put on your own doorstep? Didn't think. Haha. 'I live in Dundalk's and I'm all for the homeless shelter on Balfe road'

Complete nonsense. From beginning to end. Well done.

Advertisement