Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balfe Road Walkinstown Homeless Shelter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

amascid wrote: »
    I'm not sure what point you're making but the shelter will only hold 40-50 people. If you're housing 50 people (whether they are homeless or not) and statistics show that approx 20% of them take heroin and 40% take hard drugs then its not a place you want your kids to be near..

Why is that? What exactly do you think addicts are going to do to these kids? The point is there's already plenty of addicts in the community, and so far, there's no evidence of kids suffering as a consequence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Are they going to construct some special anti-homeless barriers or something to placate your nonsense?

snip

amcalester wrote: »
    Were they scared before or after you started in with the hyperbole?

- Already scared -alot of home invasions in the area lately and anti-social behaviour - things will only get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Serious drug addicts, sex offenders and people with psychiatric conditions will be housed here from my understanding.

"Serious drug addicts, sex offenders and people with psychiatric conditions" could already be sitting beside you as you bring your children to McDonald's, a park, a playcentre. They could live in the house next door to you if they have the means or live with a family member or friend/partner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

julyjane wrote: »
    "Serious drug addicts, sex offenders and people with psychiatric conditions" could already be sitting beside you as you bring your children to McDonald's, a park, a playcentre. They could live in the house next door to you if they have the means or live with a family member or friend/partner.

That's true they could be. But when the centre is built they DEFINITELY will be!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057812658 - Bank of Ireland dont want to know.
    No, that was a Boards.ie manager saying you were being disruptive. What bank discusses their security on the internet?

snip

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I'm not sure what point you're making but the shelter will only hold 40-50 people. If you're housing 50 people (whether they are homeless or not) and statistics show that approx 20% of them take heroin and 40% take hard drugs then its not a place you want your kids to be near..

The very good point he's making is that going by your own statistics, where you say 0.7% of the general population use heroin versus 20% of homeless:

Expected number of heroin users in a homeless shelter of 50 people: 10 people
    Expected number of heroin users in a local population of 1000 people: 7
    Expected number of heroin users in a local population of 10,000 people: 70
    etc.

Going purely by statistics alone, the introduction of 50 homeless people into an area of 10,000 people only makes a marginal difference to the expected level of antisocial behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 amascid

Cianos wrote: »
    Going purely by statistics alone, the introduction of 50 homeless people into an area of 10,000 people only makes a marginal difference to the expected level of antisocial behaviour.

The area that would be covered by 10k or 100k adults as suggested by the previous poster has nothing to do with the thread. This is an issue that mainly affects Balfe Rd (50 houses) and surrounding streets. The population is much smaller.

The area that would be covered by 10k or 100k adults as suggested by the previous poster has nothing to do with the thread. This is an issue that mainly affects Balfe Rd (50 houses) and surrounding streets. The population is much smaller.

Once again - what exactly is it you believe addicts are going to be doing to the kids on Balfe Rd, since that’s seemingly the only area of concern in this thread (!)? And which alternate child-free street do you suggest the council use for the homeless services provision? NIMBYism really makes very little sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Just to get my bearings on this, where exactly is this going? I can only think of old factories on the right just before you get to Hughes Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 amascid

alastair wrote: »
    Once again - what exactly is it you believe addicts are going to be doing to the kids on Balfe Rd, since that’s seemingly the only area of concern in this thread (!)?
    alastair wrote: »
    there's already plenty of addicts in the community, and so far, there's no evidence of kids suffering as a consequence.

I didn't reply because your comments come across as being crass. There are plenty of studies out there that show the link between addiction and crime (of all sorts); and more to your point- the impact of addiction in the home/community on kids. This is my last comment on an issue that doesn't even impact me.

By the way - I do support the idea of decentralization of shelters to the suburbs even if one was put in my area. I posted because I took issue with some of the posts made- like yours.

I didn't reply because your comments come across as being crass. There are plenty of studies out there that show the link between addiction and crime (of all sorts); and more to your point- the impact of addiction in the home/community on kids. This is my last comment on an issue that doesn't even impact me.

By the way - I do support the idea of decentralization of shelters to the suburbs even if one was put in my area. I posted because I took issue with some of the posts made- like yours.

You clearly don't support the idea of decentralisation of shelters if you believe that they're a case of concern to local parents, and they're 'not a place kids should be near'. Because I think you'll find that there's kids near any location you might mention. Now that seems like crass hypocrisy and NIMBYism to me.

And once again - there's already addiction in the community - the small number of potential addicts that would use the services of this shelter are not going to impact on these local kids to any measurable degree. Scaremongering pure and simple.

theteal wrote: »
    Just to get my bearings on this, where exactly is this going? I can only think of old factories on the right just before you get to Hughes Rd.

Yes just up on the right -fruit and veg shop on the left.

- Old factories exactly with asbestos roofs but sure they are good enough for the homeless instead of building houses.

Victor wrote: »
    No, that was a Boards.ie manager saying you were being disruptive. What bank discusses their security on the internet?

-It was a BOI rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 obrienl5

-It was a BOI rep.

It is a board's manager. It says it by her name.

obrienl5 wrote: »
    It is a board's manager. It says it by her name.

- Sorry apologies - my first thread got deleted , no idea who did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Yes just up on the right -fruit and veg shop on the left.

- Old factories exactly with asbestos roofs but sure they are good enough for the homeless instead of building houses.

Unless of course those houses were to be built in Walkinstown in which case I'm sure you'd be demanding they be built elsewhere.

Unless of course those houses were to be built in Walkinstown in which case I'm sure you'd be demanding they be built elsewhere.

- New houses are welcome -shanty towns are not.

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Delta2113 wrote:
    Might even see an Independent go up on this issue alone. They would have my vote if they oppose this shelter.

If that's the only issue you care about in the country then you need to take a serious look at yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Mod Note: Stop mentioning banks, they have nothing to do with the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Food for thought? Would you rather someone die of cold than have them take shelter in your area?

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2017/1129/923628-homeless/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Serious drug addicts, sex offenders and people with psychiatric conditions will be housed here from my understanding.
    Serious drug addicts, sex offenders and people with psychiatric conditions already live there from my understanding.

And like the leaflet, I made up the above line.
    Its pretty ignorant to say that locals are stereotyping homeless. I recently saw some stats that showed that about 25% of homeless take heroin, compared to 0.7% in the general population.
    8,492 are homeless. 25% of that is 2,123
    4,773,000 is the general population. 0.7% of that is 334,110

So you are saying that that 0.7% is 157 times more than the amount of homeless people using heroin?
    So you don't support decentralization of shelters, as they may go near you?
    - Already scared -alot of home invasions in the area lately and anti-social behaviour - things will only get worse.
    but sure they are good enough for the homeless instead of building houses.
    Who'd want to buy a house in such a crime ridden place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

the_syco wrote: »
    8,492 are homeless. 25% of that is 2,123
    4,773,000 is the general population. 0.7% of that is 334,110

So you are saying that that 0.7% is 157 times more than the amount of homeless people using heroin?

0.7% of 4,773,000 is actually 33,411

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    0.7% of 4,773,000 is actually 33,411
    It seems MS calc is giving me very odd results.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Topic on FM104 around 11pm on this - didn't listen personally but should be available online.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

....... wrote: »

Have they all been to a lecture on birth control and the importance of safe sex?

• Advertisement

Advertisement