Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balfe Road Walkinstown Homeless Shelter

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

What comes out of pregnant women after 9 months or so?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

MysticMonk wrote: »
    What comes out of pregnant women after 9 months or so?

Oh you're just being a smart arse now Mystic Monk. Children are not placed in homeless shelters. Full stop. Accept you were wrong about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Where are they "placed"?

In a house?

Not so homeless then are they once they've had the kid.

And if that's the logic,wherby these shelters are only a short-term solution whilst people incubate their babies then people are dead right to oppose it.

Homeless this and homeless that ...it's all a gigantic con orchestrated by communists like AAA and People Before Profit with a healthy dose of money for the private sector who manage these "shelters".

Let people sort out their lives first before demanding the state spoonfeed them and thier broods who only go on to perpetuate the cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Actually, they're usually placed in a mother and baby unit, in very desperate circumstances the child is fostered and the mother remains homeless.

No more discussion about that though please, it's not relevant to this. /mod

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    very desperate circumstances the child is fostered and the mother remains homeless.

By homeless you mean "never provided a roof over her own head but will sleep in a car or on the street to get what she wants for free"?

The CEO (i don't know how much he's getting paid) of the Peter McVerry trust was on the radio moaning yesterday that the extra beds/acommadation that they worked so hard to have ready for winter are not being utilised by the "homeless".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

By homeless you mean "never provided a roof over her own head but will sleep in a car or on the street to get what she wants for free"?

The CEO (i don't know how much he's getting paid) of the Peter McVerry trust was on the radio moaning yesterday that the extra beds/acommadation that they worked so hard to have ready for winter are not being utilised by the "homeless".

Pat Doyle gets paid €98,382 as CEO of the Peter McVerry Trust. Seems perfectly appropriate for a man with his experience and expertise in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I don't mean to be smart, or disingenuous, or whatever - but there's blue murder about the homeless situation over the last few years, calls for anyone and everyone to do something about it - now DCC are actually doing something about it, and there's blue murder about that.

I'm sorry, but this smacks of NIMBYism at its finest.

The issue for most locals is the pure fact that DCC have not communicated or engaged with local residents in any meaningful way which has led to much worry, confusion and anxiety. The shelter will be beside a lot of elderly people, 1000 school kids less than 600m away and 3 x crèches on a road with very poor lighting. Given the issues associated with substance addiction and its location, I think it's only reasonable for locals to have concerns.
    A lease for 18 months was signed a few weeks ago with a property holding company/developer, who bought the site in July '17.. Using emergency legislation, DCC started to convert the old offices and industrial units on Nov 20th. DCC are using expensive sticky plasters for this issue. You'd swear Winter wasn't on the calendar and homelessness wasn't on the rise for the past two years - it's not an emergency, it's an ongoing saga.
    Anyway, said developer has now applied for planning permission to demolish all the buildings (including the shelter) and build 4 blocks of apartments.
    It's a disgrace that DCC can use this legislation and just absolve themselves of all planning regulations, over the governments + councils complete lack of sustainable action and planning to overcome homelessness.
    To me, It smacks of poor planning, poor communication and Celtic tiger times stuff.

• Advertisement

kodak wrote: »
    The issue for most locals is the pure fact that DCC have not communicated or engaged with local residents in any meaningful way which has led to much worry, confusion and anxiety. The shelter will be beside a lot of elderly people, 1000 school kids less than 600m away and 3 x crèches on a road with very poor lighting. Given the issues associated with substance addiction and its location, I think it's only reasonable for locals to have concerns.
    A lease for 18 months was signed a few weeks ago with a property holding company/developer, who bought the site in July '17.. Using emergency legislation, DCC started to convert the old offices and industrial units on Nov 20th. DCC are using expensive sticky plasters for this issue. You'd swear Winter wasn't on the calendar and homelessness wasn't on the rise for the past two years - it's not an emergency, it's an ongoing saga.
    Anyway, said developer has now applied for planning permission to demolish all the buildings (including the shelter) and build 4 blocks of apartments.
    It's a disgrace that DCC can use this legislation and just absolve themselves of all planning regulations, over the governments + councils complete lack of sustainable action and planning to overcome homelessness.
    To me, It smacks of poor planning, poor communication and Celtic tiger times stuff.

A lot of dissembling there tbh. I doubt anyone is actually up in arms because the mechanism used by the council bypasses normal planning procedures, or that there’s planning permission being sought for apartments on the site. Any homeless shelter is going to be near the elderly and kids, given that they’re all in the community. The sole issue here is that some in this particular local community don’t feel that they should have to share their locality with the homeless. That’s essentially it - they want it to be someone else’s problem - without any regard for the elderly and kids in wherever the alternate location that brushing under the carpet might involve. That’s far from reasonable in my book.

alastair wrote: »
    . The sole issue here is that some in this particular local community don’t feel that they should have to share their locality with the homeless. That’s essentially it - they want it to be someone else’s problem - without any regard for the elderly and kids in wherever the alternate location that brushing under the carpet might involve. That’s far from reasonable in my book.

I don't see why ordinary people who work and pay a mortage and worry about bills etc should HAVE TO live beside the "homeless".

Lets call a spade a spade here..the sort of people this shelter will be catering to will be drug addicts,alcoholics and violent criminals with multiple convictions..anybody who says otherwise is talking out their hoop.

I note the way these "initiatives" are never built in areas where the house prices are hovering round the million euro mark..dump them where people are too poor to have any political power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

I note the way these "initiatives" are never built in areas where the house prices are hovering round the million euro mark..dump them where people are too poor to have any political power.
    Yes they are, there is one going into Clontarf.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/challenge-to-homeless-housing-in-clontarf-struck-out-1.3262120

wench wrote: »

A disgrace. People work all their lives to provide a roof over their heads and they have junkies staying for free on their road.

So if you spend say,a million on a house you don't expect to be living next door to a hostel or needle exchange?

I take it you live near one of these centres and you're fine with it?

Glad i don't live in your area...sounds horrible.

It seems that "modern ireland" has turned into a shiithole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mod: MysticMonk do not post in this thread again until you can desist from wild claims* as per the last bullet point in the charter. Do not respond to this message on thread.

* Fyi the Clontarf shelter is for homeless families stuck in hostels or hotels, who should not be poorly conflated with and tarred unfairly as 'junkies, alcoholics and violent criminals with multiple convictions.'

• Advertisement

I don't see why ordinary people who work and pay a mortage and worry about bills etc should HAVE TO live beside the "homeless".

No need for the scare quotes. The reason why people who work, pay mortgages etc, have to live beside the homeless, is because, for better or worse, the homeless are a reality of our society, and you don’t get to deny the reality of your society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Randam123

Delta2113 wrote: »
    On the 15th of November 2017, Dublin City Council announced a decision that the units behind the Bank of Ireland, on Balfe Road, Dublin 12, would be repurposed to provide 24/7 accomodation for 50-70 homeless people.

None of the local residents informed and a campaign has been lodged to object to this.

If you live in the area and object you need to contact your local T.D. now.

First of all, I agree that DCC should have informed us the residents the shelter was opening and also informed of us of what type of shelter - is it a wet hostel, dry hostel, for families, young adults and so on simply so we can mentally prepare ourselves.

Whatever the circumstances of the hostel the fact is its needed and needed badly. I for one would not be objecting to this, as much as I may not like it (if it was a wet hostel), I'm very lucky to live in a house i purchased with all the basic stuff like heating, water, electricity and a bed to sleep in why would i stop the opportunity for someone to have roof over their heads and a bed to sleep in?

With most hostels they come equipped with staff that can work with people who have hit rock bottom rebuild some sort of life for themselves.

Its easier to object to something then to give it a try, I have contacted my local TD to inform him i support the idea but also noted my concerns around this, maybe this would be a better approach rather than object the idea altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I wouldn't object either. I might not be happy about it, but I think Karma would probably end up dealing with me one day!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭GypsyByName

I would love to have the time to do some research to see if any posters who oppose this shelter have raised any concern about the homeless situation in Dublin.

Just for the craic like!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I would love to have the time to do some research to see if any posters who oppose this shelter have raised any concern about the homeless situation in Dublin.

Just for the craic like!

Probably under Journal.ie articles about refugees.

Advertisement