Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Experience + Innocence Tour **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales or Requests**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Exactly . They have gotten back to the start of their innocence as a band. Bono has constantly said the whole conceptof this tour was for the 4 of them to to regain their innocence from their experience.

Big fan and like all the ideas / concepts.

But is this not a load of nonsense too - you can't go back to innocence , you can't.

Bono - says he comes to Dublin for the truth.

Bono - amazing , but the ending of the gigs were joke.

Murdering every breaking wave at a silly slow pace - then ending on an non ending - no song and lets be honest , The Miracle is not even in their top 50 songs anyway.

Anyway , thanks Bono and the Boys.

Outstanding stuff.

What next - they have always managed to surprise.

Bono is fading - and it is the end of something , he is still singing great on certain songs. But moments , of pure raw energy and controlled screams are gone. Certain songs , these lines are skipped or edge plays harder.

The lads owe us nothing - well except a few 1000 euro on crazy ticket prices last few years :D.

Still best few nights out in years. Well since last U2 week.

The small venue is class - the 3 arena has gone from a nightmare as point - to a fairly impressive experience. Yes it isn't a real down and dirty gig - but entry , sound , able to see , outstanding.

U2 gigs are fairly middle class and aged experiences - but, as I said earlier , you can't go back to innocence.

Thanks for all the great info and ticket info. GA up to 1 hour before is great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

Seve OB wrote: »
    Well Bono said tonight that it was the last time they will play in their hometown for what could be a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

OU812 wrote: »

So the lads will bacisally chill out for a few years and then make a comeback

Do they all have solo projects

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

Achtung baby was released November 1991. One of their most influential and cathartic albums. 30th anniversary tour in 2021 would seem like a good place to begin again

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheJet

We really enjoyed U2 last night. We were seated in Block L limited view seats but overall we had a good view and sound was great. Missed some of the visuals on the big screen but I don’t feel we lost out on too much of the experience.

It’s my second time to see U2 live, the first being the Vertigo Tour in Croke Park in 2005 which I didn’t enjoy. I really liked the set list last night. I’ve always loved Far Away So Close so I’m pleased they sang that. I did like the encore but felt they could have finished with one of their anthems and end on a high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

A little momento from night 1 for anyone interested....

It was a 6 year gap between the 360 tour and I&E Dublin shows (2009-2015) and since then they have played Dublin in 2017/2018

Only saw them for the first time in 2015 and reached number 3 last Tuesday. Amazing really considering I only saw them the first time 3 years ago

PTH2009 wrote: »
    It was a 6 year gap between the 360 tour and I&E Dublin shows (2009-2015) and since then they have played Dublin in 2017/2018

Only saw them for the first time in 2015 and reached number 3 last Tuesday. Amazing really considering I only saw them the first time 3 years ago

I would love to have seen the Joshua Tree Tour in 2017 but tried desperately hard to get tickets and failed. It looked incredible

TheJet wrote: »
    I would love to have seen the Joshua Tree Tour in 2017 but tried desperately hard to get tickets and failed. It looked incredible

The setlist was amazing with a good bit of 80s u2 too it but again like this tour the Encore was a let down with the show finishing on a bit of a low with the new song at the time 'little things give u away'. The fact seeing u2 In Croke Park was cool

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Why is there all this talk of U2 calling it a day?
    Have the band said anything to suggest that it might be the last time?

I did read that great lengthy interview that was posted a few pages back and each member in separate interviews said they were exhausted and in need of a good long break. Fair enough and well deserved! But after a year or so I'm sure they will be itching to go again. They did describe it as a great life, why would they give that up!? Now, they are prone to have the odd off night more than ever, but usually they deliver the goods in spades, and the arenas are packed to capacity or else just shy of it. I as a fan always want U2 to continue to tour, as on their night vvv few come close, but I do think they should have took more time after The Joshua Tree tour to better plan the e&I show, imo the show only started to figure itself out when the band hit Europe. Also as mentioned here a few times, the barricage wasn't utilised much at all. I think with this been the experience side of innocence I and I'm sure others expected a much more extravagant show like Zoo TV or Pop, much like what the band actually done when leaving their 20's for their 30's. In the early 90's.

I am very thankful U2 are still out their doing it and believe they will continue to do so for many years to come. The out put and tours will probably slow down but that might just be a good thing, as 9 Dublin shows in 4 years is surely too much of a good thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

This is the first time I can remember in a long time where there is no talk of new material on the he horizon. In fairness it's normally Bono mouthing off but he's not even doing that. They deserve a break much as I'd hate not having them around. It can't be easy doing what they do every night. I did 3 nights this week and I've a serious U2 hangover , not from drinkas I drove to all gigs , but just wrecked and a bit down cos I know it's going to be a while before I can witness them again. New DVD needed asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Did anyone meet the Bono lookalike in The Church bar this week ?
    The guy was the head off Bono ,he had all the mannerisms and moves.
    I'd great fun trolling some friends with a selfie with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Between 2 albums and 3 tours over the past 4/5 years they'll rightly be taking a break and I don't think even they know when they will be back. At their age they don't need to make any plans or set out any timeframes for the next tours or next album, if they had planned to call it quits after this tour I think they would have told the world about it

Presuming they stay in good health I'd be surprised if they are not back by 2021 even if it's no new album but an Achtung Baby tour like they did for the 30th anniversary of Joshua Tree

Yeah he looked cool, find this thing kind of cool it freaky at the same time

He was the singer for the tribute band I think ??.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Between 2 albums and 3 tours over the past 4/5 years they'll rightly be taking a break and I don't think even they know when they will be back. At their age they don't need to make any plans or set out any timeframes for the next tours or next album, if they had planned to call it quits after this tour I think they would have told the world about it

Presuming they stay in good health I'd be surprised if they are not back by 2021 even if it's no new album but an Achtung Baby tour like they did for the 30th anniversary of Joshua Tree

I think if they were thinking of doing an Achtung Baby anniversary tour they wouldn't have put so much into the setlist for this tour, they did play 6 of the 12 tracks. Until the End of the World and Mysterious Ways we're pretty much staples in the setlist for I&e, as was Ultraviolet for Joshua Tree. They will be back in some shape or form, perhaps a stripped down album with raw acoustic instruments, much like what REM done with Green in 1988. I think that would be a good direction for U2!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭BornIn84

I went on Friday night and was seated in K. Good show, the crowd picked up a bit.
    I had a great night for the most part but I enjoyed the 3Arena show in 2015 a good bit more.
    Mostly it was due to band attitude/set list/and visuals
    I felt that the band were a little more laid back this time around and the set list, although Achtung being one of my favourite albums, wasn't as good all round as that show.

I don't have a whole lotta love for the new album - probably 4/5 songs are my v good but I'd love to see them head off and reinvent themselves again. They're masters at that.

In terms of the visuals, they were great this time too but i felt they were better or more integrated the last time on that screen.

In saying that, all in all a great gig but 2015 better and probably croker last year.
    Hope they go away for a while and write a really great new album.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

That was actually Bono.

Haha. The guy was unreal.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Yeah he looked cool, find this thing kind of cool it freaky at the same time

He was the singer for the tribute band I think ??.

No, well not Zooropa anyway. He was beside me when they came on stage. Could be another band of course

No, well not Zooropa anyway. He was beside me when they came on stage. Could be another band of course

U2baby were playing in the church the mon/Tues

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

ITgirl73 wrote: »
    Aw I wanted to get one but didn’t see them on Monday night. Were they on a separate stand?

Bonkers. As you say, they were obligatory at Twickenham and I came home with three of them. I intercepted a few people returning them and just gave them £2 myself.

But that sounds like a mess in Dublin. Could they not have just given you the pint in a fresh E&I cup? I just bought the one pint and brought my cup home with me.

• Advertisement

I think if they were thinking of doing an Achtung Baby anniversary tour they wouldn't have put so much into the setlist for this tour, they did play 6 of the 12 tracks. Until the End of the World and Mysterious Ways we're pretty much staples in the setlist for I&e, as was Ultraviolet for Joshua Tree. They will be back in some shape or form, perhaps a stripped down album with raw acoustic instruments, much like what REM done with Green in 1988. I think that would be a good direction for U2!

Yeah, I think the JT tour was a one-off. I understand they owed Live Nation a tour and decided that would be the one to do. They've said they're not the kind to look back and that this was an exception to that rule.

Can't really see the acoustic thing happening either - they've always been about the punk/new wave ethos and making noise. They'd have done an Unplugged when it was all the rage if that was what they were in to.

It'll be more of the same, I'd say. Songs of Ascent was always mentioned as completing the trinity of albums but who know?

Great show on Saturday. The Achtung Baby/Zooropa bits were the peak for me.

They could retire a few tunes like Beautiful Day, Pride, One and Elevation and the last third kinda dipped a little compared to the middle section.

I get the whole story-telling thing and ending with 13 but it's almost like a theatre show and leaves the audience sorta politely applauding and shuffling off rather than going wild and cheering for more.

Loved the impromptu lines from 40 during the break for the final encore by the way. A sign of a good U2 audience rather than the "ole ole" brigade....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

mrk75 wrote: »
    Yeah, I think the JT tour was a one-off. I understand they owed Live Nation a tour and decided that would be the one to do. They've said they're not the kind to look back and that this was an exception to that rule.

why did they owe LN a tour??

mrk75 wrote: »

Can't really see the acoustic thing happening either - they've always been about the punk/new wave ethos and making noise. They'd have done an Unplugged when it was all the rage if that was what they were in to.

It'll be more of the same, I'd say. Songs of Ascent was always mentioned as completing the trinity of albums but who know?

Great show on Saturday. The Achtung Baby/Zooropa bits were the peak for me.

They could retire a few tunes like Beautiful Day, Pride, One and Elevation and the last third kinda dipped a little compared to the middle section.

I get the whole story-telling thing and ending with 13 but it's almost like a theatre show and leaves the audience sorta politely applauding and shuffling off rather than going wild and cheering for more.

Loved the impromptu lines from 40 during the break for the final encore by the way. A sign of a good U2 audience rather than the "ole ole" brigade....:)

I hate it when audiences chant ole ole. It makes me cringe.

alexlyons wrote: »
    why did they owe LN a tour??

I guess no-one really knows the finer details but I've seen it speculated in various places that that was the main reason for the tour and they made a virtue out of a necessity, decided to tour the 30th anniversary of JT and off they went...

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Talk of U2 never playing Dublin again? No chance of that happening (bar one of the band getting sick etc).

There is a reason why ageing rock stars like The Stones, Springsteen, McCartney etc still tour, that's where the money is made. Not made through record sales these days.

They will have a well deserved break now but am sure we will see them grace the stage in Ireland again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Thanks to everyone on here for making the build up to the shows. Last 3 tours Ive loved the comradery with all the helping of tickets, and seeing people get sorted. It really does add to the experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭JohnCreedon81

Made it to Belfast night 2 which was very good. The arena up there was perfect. I felt Bono was a bit tired looking though as it was the second night.

Went to night 3 in Dublin, lowered expectations. Man, it blew me away. Bono was fresh with the 2 nights off before it, and wow did they perform. Crowd was brilliant where I was too.

I had reservations about them going on as a band, Bono especially, but they blew those away on the Friday. Saturday sounded as good if not better. I do hope they have a break of 4 years or so, but I really hope it's not the last we see of them.

Might have been their best live gig since 05, they were fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Neither of the two shows I saw last week (Mon/Tue) were at the standard of Glasgow in '15. The "newness" of the stage config could have played a part in this however. If the tours were swapped, I think I might rank the shows differently. Proper U2 geeks tour this time around. Really really wish they threw the safety net in the bin and flexed their muscle each night. Take some risks, live a little. Time isn't on their side. No one cares if they **** up a bit. For example Edge butchered the solo on the Fly on Monday. Didnt matter a damn.

withdrawal symptoms :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

withdrawal symptoms :(

Major.

Advertisement