Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Experience + Innocence Tour **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales or Requests**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Saw U2 on the last 3 tours with only Croke Park having support by Noel Gallagher but the pub crawl of that day helped the atmosphere and the new age of these super fans travelling regiously to concerts.

Was this 'super fan' thing around in the late 90s/early 2000s ?

They were there but nowhere near as many.

I think it was on the US leg of the Vertigo tour in 2005 that the band had the lottery for entry to the ellipse area of the floor.
    Seemingly Adam was sick of seeing the same faces right in front of him night after night and wanted to mix it up a bit.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

It definitely wasn't as much of a thing. There were a fair few foreign fans at Slane, but moreso the first Slane as many travel firms and fan clubs got tickets they sold in packages. The second Slane sold only in stores and with literally no notice, so it was pretty much all Irish who heard the announcement on the midday radio news and rushed to their nearest Ticketmaster. Made for a much better atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

Is there talk of them releasing these remastered shows on bluray does anyone know? Watch a bit last night and the picture quality was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

I hope they release these digitally. They've been upgrading a lot of the older music videos on their YouTube channel

The irony of Zoo TV being the most visually spectacular show ever produced at the time only being available in 4:3 SD is not lost on me.

Would also love to see a 4K (would have to be upscaled in parts as was shot on mostly 16mm) version of rattle & hum also.

SteM wrote: »
    Is there talk of them releasing these remastered shows on bluray does anyone know? Watch a bit last night and the picture quality was fantastic.

Picture looked ropey enough to me.
    It was DVD quality upscaled to 1080p resolution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Watching the Slane gig now, fan ****in tastic. Hard to believe its 20 years.

What a day! We beat Holland 1-0, the sun was out and topped off by a U2 gig.

Amazing times!! Can't remember which gig was recorded as there were 2. Coldplay and RHCP were brilliant the first gig. Moby in the 2nd gig.... ill never forget Feeling So Real belting out, 80000 people ravin in a field, glorious

It was the second gig on the DVD. They were meant to use a mix of the two but the second blew the first out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mehico

It was the second gig on the DVD. They were meant to use a mix of the two but the second blew the first out of the water.

Was there cameras at the first gig? Would love to see the footage if available anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

mehico wrote: »
    Was there cameras at the first gig? Would love to see the footage if available anywhere.
    My understanding is there was, and some of the 1st gig footage is included in the dvd. This has been the case with all of their DVD’s from tge Elevation Boston, and going forward. There is always some editing done to take bits out and add in a better take- etc, from the other gig.

I was at both gigs, and as an overall gig experience, the 1st one was way better, mainly due to the incredible lineup of any gig i have ever attended, JJ72, Coldplay, RHCP & U2, were all superb- nothing comes close to that lineup at a non festival event, and there was a great atmosphere at both, but also better at 1st one, as their 1st gig on home soil, for more than 4 years.

fafy wrote: »
    My understanding is there was, and some of the 1st gig footage is included in the dvd. This has been the case with all of their DVD’s from tge Elevation Boston, and going forward. There is always some editing done to take bits out and add in a better take- etc, from the other gig.

I was at both gigs, and as an overall gig experience, the 1st one was way better, mainly due to the incredible lineup of any gig i have ever attended, JJ72, Coldplay, RHCP & U2, were all superb- nothing comes close to that lineup at a non festival event, and there was a great atmosphere at both, but also better at 1st one, as their 1st gig on home soil, for more than 4 years.

This is the first time I've ever heard this opinion. You must have been miles back for the second gig as the atmosphere was a million times better than the first due to everyone buzzing after Ireland beat Holland.

It's a fact they only used the footage from the second gig too so you're simply wrong on that front.

U2 themselves even wrote in U2 by U2 that there was no comparison between the first and second gigs. The first was a downer and the band were off form due to them literally just burying Bono's dad the day before.

Their words not mine. The second gig was more joyous and a celebration.

Yes the support was better for the first gig on paper, but ash and Moby played an absolute stormer in the second gig. The second half of the Ireland match was the best warm up ever.

In short, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but yours is simply wrong :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

Thats what i love about gigs, people can have different impressions, and get different things out of a gig. The crowd may well have been better at 2nd gig, but ones own individual experience, is what ultimately counts, it does for me anyway !

Glad you clarified that the crowd was better in the second gig ;) you said that the first had the better atmosphere in your first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

I was at both gigs and I didn't feel one stood out over the other that much. Its true the ireland match was fantastic in the buildup for the 2nd gig but the first gig had a better lineup and I can't remember the atmosphere being that much different between both days.

Edit to say, Moby was savage.

Its a thumbs up for both days from me

I guess the fact that the band themselves said it, and they only used the second gig footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

They were there but nowhere near as many.

I think it was on the US leg of the Vertigo tour in 2005 that the band had the lottery for entry to the ellipse area of the floor.
    Seemingly Adam was sick of seeing the same faces right in front of him night after night and wanted to mix it up a bit.:)

That was a great move. I got into the "heart" at MSG in 2005 and it was superb. I remember the excitement of the ticket being scanned and it flashing up on the screen that we were "in" then being led in. There was tons of room, we champagne to celebrate, met Paul McGuinness, who was mooching about...

On Slane, the two sorta blend into one for me. Loved A Sort of Homecoming, which I think was the first day and obviously didn't make the DVD. Think they did Dancing in the Moonlight in tribute to Lizzy too since they supported them in the first Slane appearance.

Out of Control was great as well and obviously Streets - what you wouldn't give to be bouncing around to Streets in a full stadium.....

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

I was at both gigs and I didn't feel one stood out over the other that much. Its true the ireland match was fantastic in the buildup for the 2nd gig but the first gig had a better lineup and I can't remember the atmosphere being that much different between both days.

Edit to say, Moby was savage.

Its a thumbs up for both days from me

Yeah...no such thing as a bad U2 gig really - not in my experience anyway...they give it their all every time...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

mrk75 wrote: »
    On Slane, the two sorta blend into one for me. Loved A Sort of Homecoming, which I think was the first day and obviously didn't make the DVD. Think they did Dancing in the Moonlight in tribute to Lizzy too since they supported them in the first Slane appearance.

That reminds me did they do sgt peppers at slane ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Loved the first show.

Huge line up and build up. Setlist was out of this f&cking world of course. Context of Bono's personal struggles made it even more emotional. Not sure how he made it through to be honest.

U2 have always fallen back on the least risky option. Its no surprise to me that they didnt want the high-wire event of the first night to be released. If you were there, you get it. A wonderful experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭JKerova1

I guess the fact that the band themselves said it, and they only used the second gig footage.

That's not true actually they used snippets of footage from the first gig during UTEOTW and Streets.

I was at the first gig and I'm glad it wasn't filmed tbh. The support acts (Chili Peppers and Coldplay) were amazing.

JKerova1 wrote: »
    That's not true actually they used snippets of footage from the first gig during UTEOTW and Streets.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/U2_Go_Home:_Live_from_Slane_Castle,_Ireland

First gig wasn't used at all

• Advertisement

Wooderson wrote: »
    If you were there, you get it. A wonderful experience.

I was there, and at the second, and yes I get it, the second was far better :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭JKerova1

It was definitely used, you can quite clearly see when they edited in brief shots of Bono and the crowd during UTEOTW. The first concert was the superior gig on an emotional level as it was so close to Bono's fathers funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mehico

I found some footage of the first gig on Youtube, not professional but captures a lot of the gig and snippets of the support acts at the end of the video also:

JKerova1 wrote: »
    It was definitely used, you can quite clearly see when they edited in brief shots of Bono and the crowd during UTEOTW. The first concert was the superior gig on an emotional level as it was so close to Bono's fathers funeral.

That's not a good thing. Read their book, it sounded like it was a bad show for them. He was clearly suffering up there and not in a good way.

Superior in emotions even if the emotions are trauma? Gimme the emotions of joy and celebration in the second gig anyday.

So they used brief shots? what are we talking, three seconds of footage? I've not seen this confirmed anywhere, but saying you're right, it's a strange thing to hang to and say I was wrong about. The DVD is the second show quite clearly. Anyone suggesting otherwise is being strangely pedantic about these few seconds you claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

I must be in the minority here, but I always say this was the worst U2 gig I was ever at ... and I'm a huge U2 fan and have seen them live about 20 times in various countries.

I don't think much of the venue tbh, I can see the attraction from the performers point of view but I remember struggling to see the band and didn't think the sound was great. It was a great day, sun was shining etc so it was a great day but didn't walk away thinking it was a great gig.

Funny tho, I also always say on video it's one of their best to watch, I love this setlist and the band were on the top of their game, Bono sounded great, great to see it upscaled and remastered now.

Does anyone know if Under a blood red sky and Popmart are also remastered for the Virtual Road ?

v10 wrote: »
    I must be in the minority here, but I always say this was the worst U2 gig I was ever at ... and I'm a huge U2 fan and have seen them live about 20 times in various countries.

I don't think much of the venue tbh, I can see the attraction from the performers point of view but I remember struggling to see the band and didn't think the sound was great. It was a great day, sun was shining etc so it was a great day but didn't walk away thinking it was a great gig.

Funny tho, I also always say on video it's one of their best to watch, I love this setlist and the band were on the top of their game, Bono sounded great, great to see it upscaled and remastered now.

Does anyone know if Under a blood red sky and Popmart are also remastered for the Virtual Road ?

You arent alone.

I saw the band two nights indoors in Manchester on the same tour.
    The first night was superb, the second night Bono walked off stage early, he didnt seem right that night, his fathers health was deteriorating.

I'd have the first night in Manchester way ahead of Slane 2.
    Better sound, much better view, better lighting effects as indoors.

Slane is a terrible venue, its too big and open.

It's true, Slane is a dire venue. If you weren't in the front two sections the gig lost a huge part of its quality.

It's also horrendous to get to.

But yes it looks incredible on DVD.

Yep pretty sure both red rocks and popmart are remastered. Can't wait for popmart, I wore that VHS out!

Getting out of Slane is a mess.

I think with a band like U2 where each tour is more like a cirque du soleil show in terms of fixed nature of the set and setlist, limited scope for improv etc there is a big challenge to identify the really great nights. I saw 5 of the i+E shows and only the Sat night in Glasgow stands apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

Yep pretty sure both red rocks and popmart are remastered. Can't wait for popmart, I wore that VHS out!

I hope so, yeah really looking forward to Popmart if it's remasted as the only quality available before now is pretty poor by today's standards.

Advertisement