Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Experience + Innocence Tour **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales or Requests**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

But I haven't "judged" it as such. I gave it one listen and could immediately tell it didn't sound the way I wanted it to sound. I could tell that on first listen. I'm sure I'll listen to it again, and form a proper opinion, in fact I did say that I might even enjoy it eventually.

U2s recent output is easy to judge after one listen to be fair. Hammy lyrics, bordering on cringing, with very uncomplicated musical arrangements made for American mainstream radio. Its the musical equivalent of Starbucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

The Nal wrote: »
    U2s recent output is easy to judge after one listen to be fair. Hammy lyrics, bordering on cringing, with very uncomplicated musical arrangements made for American mainstream radio. Its the musical equivalent of Starbucks.

I love U2.
    I don't like coffee.

Need a better comparison tbf. Your posts are easy to judge now in one reading.
    Hammy criticism, bordering on cringing, with very uncomplicated trolling made for the easily wound up.

The Internet equivalent of toilet paper

But I haven't "judged" it as such. I gave it one listen and could immediately tell it didn't sound the way I wanted it to sound. I could tell that on first listen. I'm sure I'll listen to it again, and form a proper opinion, in fact I did say that I might even enjoy it eventually.

I agree. It's very hard to judge an album in one go. Unless it's something like Thriller or Back in Black or The Joshua Tree or Definitely Maybe.

I'd be the same. Takes me a few listens to get a record. Usually though, there is one song on it, on first listen, that instantly connects with me so I've reason to go back and listen.

Recently though, I sat down to listen to two albums, by artists who will remain unnamed... **** me, I'm never doing that again. Actually made me sad they were that bad.

Soulless ****e, terrible lyrics, just no redeeming features at all.

I used to be a "critic" for a music magazine. Got so much music to review. Don't think I ever "panned" anything. There was always something within the albums or songs that made it worthwhile.... If I got those two albums to review back then though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Fair enough, As I said not a criticism everyone has different ways of doing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Out of curiosity, for the people that post on this thread consistently, what other gigs did u go to this year other than u2 in Croker?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Just Radiohead for me, go on then, what’s your point? I’ve see pretty much everyone I love in music live.

Out of curiosity, for the people that post on this thread consistently, what other gigs did u go to this year other than u2 in Croker?

GnR
    Sabbath
    ZZ Top
    Aerosmith
    Various other gigs in Dublin in the Academy, Button Factory etc

Other years gone by, I've seen U2, Fleetwood Mac, Status Quo (Real one and other one) Queen without Freddie, Simon and Garfunkal, Deadmau5, Jools Holland, Robert Plant, The Script, The Shadows, RHCP, Oasis, Bruce Springsteen, ACDC, Paul McCartney, The Stones, Stone Roses, Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, Scissor Sisters etc etc ... Basically everyone expect Freddie, ABBA and The Beatles,

No offence but, I know your response is gonna be "Oh listen to something else" but, I do. I've seen literally everyone there is to see multiple times. Some bands I've even seen over 60 times. I'm in a band that writes it's own stuff.. So I'm not sure of your point here?

The first lads been to 2 gigs and you've been to mainly rock bands that peaked in the 80s at best?

The beauty of music is that there's a consistent stream of it, it's much easier to access and there's far more opportunities to watch it live than ever before.

Yet youve both seen almost everything you ever wanted to see? The only conclusion i can come to is that you don't listen to a lot of new music

Broaden your horizons and at least give some new music a try ffs. Buy yourself a ticket to a festival , browse the venues and listen to new up and coming artists.

If u genuinely did this id be surprised if u were in this thread talking up an average album at best and forcing yourself to like an album from a band based off their past exploits. One decent song, the rest average.

The first lads been to 2 gigs and you've been to mainly rock bands that peaked in the 80s at best?

The beauty of music is that there's a consistent stream of it, it's much easier to access and there's far more opportunities to watch it live than ever before.

Yet youve both seen almost everything you ever wanted to see? The only conclusion i can come to is that you don't listen to a lot of new music

Broaden your horizons and at least give some new music a try ffs. Buy yourself a ticket to a festival , browse the venues and listen to new up and coming artists.

If u genuinely did this id be surprised if u were in this thread talking up an average album at best and forcing yourself to like an album from a band based off their past exploits. One decent song, the rest average.

No offence man but, **** off!

You've no idea what albums I own or what I want. Don't lecture me

Think I force myself for a song to connect with me?

I know what I like and what I want!!

I’ve been to more music festivals in more countries than you I would imagine. I’ve seen 100s of Bands.

I was at 2 gigs last year due to financial reasons. I’m very aware of new music. Your top 5 gigs of last year, I’ve seen all of those acts live.

Take your head out of your ass and realize that someone can appreciate U2’s new stuff along side The War on Drugs and St Vincent or Jagwar Ma.

You haven’t a fvcking clue. Pretentious twat.

• Advertisement

1. LCD - Olympia
    2. Kasabian - Olympia
    3. Jagwar Ma - Ep
    4. Coldplay - Croker
    5. London grammar - Olympia

Wow, you’re so alternative duuuuude!

I’ve seen them all live, none come anywhere near my top 10. You should really broaden your horizons there buddy.

That's actually one of the most annoying posts I've seen from SOS.

You have no idea...

bclar12 wrote: »
    That's actually one of the most annoying posts I've seen from SOS.

You no idea...

It was one of the most random and ill informed rants I’ve seen on boards in a long time, ludicrous and rambling and preachy to the extreme! Gas man. Get back to listening to that wild new music by Coldplay and Kasabian FFS :pac:

It was one of the most random and ill informed rants I’ve seen on boards in a long time, ludicrous and rambling and preachy to the extreme! Gas man. Get back to listening to that wild new music by Coldplay and Kasabian FFS :pac:

I'm actually angry at that..

"Ohhh listen to some other music"

**** off! Hasn't a clue

I'll ****ing listen to what turns me on! No one will tell me different!!

bclar12 wrote: »
    I'm actually angry at that..

"Ohhh listen to some other music"

**** off! Hasn't a clue

I'll ****ing listen to what turns me on! No one will tell me different!!

Tis the season, maybe he had one too many sherrys :D

Presumptuous idiot.

Touched a nerve there I see. You must've been furious to go thru my post history and try dig something up :)

Touched a nerve there I see. You must've been furious to go thru my post history and try dig something up :)

It was you’re previous post, hardly had to hire a private detective to realize you were full of sh!t :)

No but had you check my history. Good work though.

No but had you check my history. Good work though.

It’s a single click, a lot quicker than it took your waffle. Not good work. Kasabian are sooooo edgy btw! Remember they were good about 10 years ago, maybe more. Oooooh and LCD! The band you have to adore if you’re a hipster! Didn’t they break up? What’s that sound? James Murphy breaking his word when his solo DJ work fell on its arse?

You must have listened to some amount of undiscovered music to find your way to Coldplay in that little north Dublin venue too :pac:

London Grammar are painfully pretentious too. 1 good song.

Jagwar’s debut was fantastic. Pity they failed the difficult second album.

Anyway, enough about you. Fvcking clown. :)

Ah but it's the fact you were that outraged you went thru my post history, first post or not. Keep going I can sense the rage.... I'm sure u could dig up more.

I couldn't care less if u rip into any of those bands. I'm not that precious about them as you are of your beloved u2.

• Advertisement

Probably aimed that at John's post but...

You're quite welcome to come over to my house to inspect my record collection

I like U2's new album. Get the **** over it!

Ah but it's the fact you were that outraged you went thru my post history, first post or not. Keep going I can sense the rage.... I'm sure u could dig up more.

I couldn't care less if u rip into any of those bands. I'm not that precious about them as you are of your beloved u2.

No really, I got all the ammo I needed in the very first post, took me all of 12 seconds. Rage? You are entertaining me! I’m enjoying this. Love tearing pretentious twats to bits!

I love U2, yes, like I love a lot of bands. You should understand that music is subjective and try not to become so deluded that you think you know more than someone you don’t know from Adam. Your first rant said all about you that I need to know. Now I’m just having fun with you. But it’s time to celebrate, so I’ll leave you to your strange scorn.

Why the **** am even responding to this? I don't have to answer to anyone!
    The music ain't for you...Fine! Why talk down to people who do like it? I absolutely hate that!!

It's music! I like what I like!

Happy Christmas everyone! Hope you all have a great one!

No really, I got all the ammo I needed in the very first post, took me all of 12 seconds. Rage? You are entertaining me! I’m enjoying this. Love tearing pretentious twats to bits!

I love U2, yes, like I love a lot of bands. You should understand that music is subjective and try not to become so deluded that you think you know more than someone you don’t know from Adam. Your first rant said all about you that I need to know. Now I’m just having fun with you. But it’s time to celebrate, so I’ll leave you to your strange scorn.

Hahaha nothing like a bit of hilarity to start the day. I'm sure you're proud as punch you got 'ammo' from my post history... but keep lying to yourself you weren't outraged enough to check it. First post or not. Maybe going to more than 2 gigs in a year might channel that anger.

Happy Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I am trying to get your point that I highlighted above but a young person like myself are finding this commitment to be a real struggle because at this point it should click in to myself with the younger generation very easily but it doesn't with me. I am at a loss in how it connects to me in an ideal way because I don't know what festivals you actually talk about here. It is just any festival in particular that is on during the summer because I find the quality of most chart music artists to be really poor at best as we progress into 2018. The songs that they produce that are played out on radio stations here these days to me are repetitive & forgettable.

But for me though; this process of finding new artists is not a complete failure. I'm trying to listen to new music whenever I can from any genre. I found really good material from artists like Noel Gallagher & The High Flying Birds, The Piano Guys, Bright Light Bright Light and from various soundtrack composers for the past few years. I also like well established artists like U2, Coldplay, Olly Murs, Take That, Elton John, Simple Minds, All Saints & Robbie Williams.

If finding new music is easy for you to do in your spare time. Good for you. For everybody else it is hard to answer that because it has been said before this process is subjective because not everyone has the same individual taste as you. I wish you a Happy Christmas & a Peaceful New Year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Redo91 wrote: »
    Ya I redeemed the gift roughly 6-8 weeks ago at this stage.

Looking forward to getting it. Don't have a vinyl player but I think it would look well framed.
    I logged in and it says

"The Joshua Tree Singles Vinyl Collection: 1987 & 2017

You have redeemed your gift."

I haven't received anything either...

guys a bit of help please
    i can't see any redeem button
    i can't see anything that tells me if i have or have not redeemed

what is the profile page?
    i can't find any emails relating to redeeming the gift

im lost!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Couple of posters really wetting the bed here I see!

The Nal wrote: »
    Couple of posters really wetting the bed here I see!

Because some arrogant **** is telling us what we should be listening to and doing with our lives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Ignore the troll, that's all he ever does in any of the music threads.

Advertisement