Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Experience + Innocence Tour **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales or Requests**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Please lord. I'll never understand the absolute disregard the band seem to have for POP due to the sh!tty response it got in America.

It should have 4 or 5 songs minimum as regulars in their setlist. We get.......none. And sh!te like City of Blinding Lights, Invisible, etc. Shameful. I guess they have to play certain songs that are easier on them. There has to be some excuse. Hopefully they throw off the shackles, as they could still produce some of their best shows ever if they got the setlist right, and ignored "the masses".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,992 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Please lord. I'll never understand the absolute disregard the band seem to have for POP due to the sh!tty response it got in America.

It should have 4 or 5 songs minimum as regulars in their setlist. We get.......none. And sh!te like City of Blinding Lights, Invisible, etc. Shameful. I guess they have to play certain songs that are easier on them. There has to be some excuse. Hopefully they throw off the shackles, as they could still produce some of their best shows ever if they got the setlist right, and ignored "the masses".

Blinding lights and Invisible are 2 classics.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Blinding lights and Invisible are 2 classics.

Would you have them above any POP songs in your list?

They are so run of the mill U2 it's painful. CoBL had its moments, and Invisible is kinda fun, but there's a reason it's a B side. No way in hell should it have been played every night on I+e.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

They wont throw off the shackles ,they are lazy old corporate men now.
    Their show depends so much on the big screen that they have very little freedom with setlists .

Its basically the same show each night ,even the jokes are the same.
    The stuff they played on the B stage in Dublin was the highlight of the gigs ,they seemed alot more relaxed there ,the screen was almost redundant for those songs.

I think they should just play the whole concert from there ,get rid of the main stage ,strip it back ,it would be great.

They are so run of the mill U2 it's painful. CoBL had its moments, and Invisible is kinda fun, but there's a reason it's a B side. No way in hell should it have been played every night on I+e.

yea i would actually.

blinding lights was the highlight for me on vertigo tour and invisible was one of the best on I&E tour

• Advertisement

yea i would actually.

blinding lights was the highlight for me on vertigo tour and invisible was one of the best on I&E tour

Christ! Couldn't be further apart taste wise so:D The reach of U2 eh! Out of interest, where would POP rank in your fav U2 albums?

They wont throw off the shackles ,they are lazy old corporate men now.
    Their show depends so much on the big screen that they have very little freedom with setlists .

Its basically the same show each night ,even the jokes are the same.
    The stuff they played on the B stage in Dublin was the highlight of the gigs ,they seemed alot more relaxed there ,the screen was almost redundant for those songs.

I think they should just play the whole concert from there ,get rid of the main stage ,strip it back ,it would be great.

The recent BBC show, albeit with orchestra, was absolutely fantastic. If they built a show similar to that, incorporating acoustic parts like you mention, and drop the bombast, they'd be so much better. They're too auld to be doing some of the things they try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Christ! Couldn't be further apart taste wise so:D The reach of U2 eh! Out of interest, where would POP rank in your fav U2 albums?

Yeah I'd agree with Seve myself. Pop has a few tracks I like, disco, mofo, gone, please and that's kind of it, but it's down the list of albums for me. Popmart tour was fantastic at the time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Wooderson

"Invisible" is U2-dregs. For me the lowlight of the 3 i+E shows I saw.

"City of Blinding Shytes" likewise.

Pop is ace. That and Zooropa are comically undervalued and misunderstood by the band. In a generation those will be records that get a lot of heat. Expansive, inventive, colourful records from the lads.

The 1990s were fun to be in U2 and a fan of U2. Being **deadly** serious about being irreverent. Loads of this has been lost. When I see people foaming about Invisible I despair. Swap that spot in i+E for "Ordinary Love" (to give an example) and you have a proper moment.

For my money one of Bono's most heartfelt deliveries in years. Gorgeous piano fugue from Edge. The new mix has a beaut of a loop from Clayton.

Our kids will look back with a "?" at U2's amateurhour decision making. I cross my fingers that the band (lets face it its Bono) regains this impish sense of fun thats been missing this past decade (ish). Time is not their friend after all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

Wooderson wrote: »
    "Invisible" is U2-dregs. For me the lowlight of the 3 i+E shows I saw.

"City of Blinding Shytes" likewise.

Pop is ace. That and Zooropa are comically undervalued and misunderstood by the band. In a generation those will be records that get a lot of heat. Expansive, inventive, colourful records from the lads.

Don't agree with that at all.

Not every U2 song has to be Streets or Zooropa or Acrobat.

For what it's worth, I like Invisible and City Of Blinding Lights. You say POP is ace but, City of Blinding Lights was supposed to be on that album so, it's all about your perception.

Put it this way, if you say those songs are ****e, along with others no doubt, that means you think I Will Follow is ****e

When I see people foaming about Invisible I despair. Swap that spot in i+E for "Ordinary Love" (to give an example) and you have a proper moment.

For my money one of Bono's most heartfelt deliveries in years. Gorgeous piano fugue from Edge. The new mix has a beaut of a loop from Clayton.

Our kids will look back with a "?" at U2's amateurhour decision making. I cross my fingers that the band (lets face it its Bono) regains this impish sense of fun thats been missing this past decade (ish). Time is not their friend after all.

How exactly would Ordinary Love work, in the context of the show, in place of Invisible? It wouldn't!

As if our Children will look back and think "Oh they should have waited another month to release that"
    Do you think that about The Beatles?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Yeah I'd agree with Seve myself. Pop has a few tracks I like, disco, mofo, gone, please and that's kind of it, but it's down the list of albums for me. Popmart tour was fantastic at the time though.

Miracle Drug has been one of my favourites over the past number of years, haven't heard it live, and would love to!

bclar12 wrote: »
    How exactly would Ordinary Love work, in the context of the show, in place of Invisible? It wouldn't!

As if our Children will look back and think "Oh they should have waited another month to release that"
    Do you think that about The Beatles?

Youre gonna have to explain this to me again guv. Youve made zero sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭JKerova1

I thought it would have been great if they played Zoo Station in that segment instead of Invisible, just after the interlude.

Youre gonna have to explain this to me again guv. Youve made zero sense.

There is a flow to a setlist. Every band works up a setlist that flows, that builds and comes back down. There is a way to it.

Case in point, the zoo TV tour. After New Year's Day, they brought it back down with Trying to Throw Your arms... Then even more with the acoustic bit on the B stage... Then, they brought it back up with Bullet and built to a crescendo with Streets and Pride. Every band does it.

If they put Ordinary Love in that part of the set, the way the show was constructed, it would not work

The four of them appearing and disappearing in a giant screen, whilst singing a song that was on A Nelson Mandela soundtrack, does not work

bclar12 wrote: »
    The four of them appearing and disappearing in a giant screen

This. I guess it is part of why I remember it as a show highlight, was a very clever use of the screen and tied really well in with the lyrics of the song.

Invisible was the best piss-break track of the last tour. Didnt bono do some weird actions aswell? Rubbish.

Invisible was the best piss-break track of the last tour. Didnt bono do some weird actions aswell? Rubbish.

Don’t think they played Invisible on the last tour

Don’t think they played Invisible on the last tour

?

I mean the i+E tour. The last proper tour.

• Advertisement

?

I mean the i+E tour. The last proper tour.

have to disagree with you. The Joshua Tree was a proper and awesome tour. It was in fact the highest grossing tour of any artist in 2017.

how can you not call that a proper tour?

Erm no...

A piss break?
    God help us...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

have to disagree with you. The Joshua Tree was a proper and awesome tour. It was in fact the highest grossing tour of any artist in 2017.

how can you not call that a proper tour?

2015 tour >>>>>>>>>>> Joshua Tree tour

2015 tour >>>>>>>>>>> Joshua Tree tour

?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭blinkwink

Miracle Drug has been one of my favourites over the past number of years, haven't heard it live, and would love to!

Would love to hear that! From what I could find, they last played it twice on the i+e tour.

Haha couple lads in that vid posted upthread are off for a pish during the chorus of Invisible. Turkey of a tune.

Haha couple lads in that vid posted upthread are off for a pish during the chorus of Invisible. Turkey of a tune.

So bad you to had to watch it all the way through to the end :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

That is nice to hear about Discotheque being 20 years old. I have the video included on my DVD copy of The Best of 1990 - 2000 at home.

I like that tune myself as it sounds good. It feels like the video hasn't aged at all when I watch the DVD.

?

Did you prefer the Joshua tree tour to i+E?

• Advertisement

I preferred the BBC special to the JT30 tour. And I saw the JT30 show live.

Bar Exit and RTSS and OTH it was a bit meh in hindsight. Cash in nostalgia tour to the extreme.

Advertisement