Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Experience + Innocence Tour **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales or Requests**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

Funny how people view things...

"Nostalgia cash in"
    "Meh"
    "Not a proper tour"

The set had SBS, NYD, Bad, Pride, Streets, ISHFWILF and WOWY all played in a row..

It had rare tracks like RHMT, OTH, TTYW, IGC, Exit, MOTD and possibly the best tune they have written in years to finish it.

And it was a great performance.

Personally, I look to whether I enjoy a gig or not. I don't take other factors into it. If the gig is good and I get my moneys worth, nothing else matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

That’s cool you enjoyed it so much. I’ve seen them double figures now and it was comfortably the worst gig of theirs. Still very enjoyable but hindsight hasn’t been kind to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

bclar12 wrote: »

"Nostalgia cash in"
    "Meh"
    "Not a proper tour"

The set had SBS, NYD, Bad, Pride, Streets, ISHFWILF and WOWY all played in a row..

It had rare tracks like RHMT, OTH, TTYW, IGC, Exit, MOTD and possibly the best tune they have written in years to finish it.

Personally, I look to whether I enjoy a gig or not. I don't take other factors into it. If the gig is good and I get my moneys worth, nothing else matters.

Couldn't agree more!
    To grumble about a concert that opens with those 4 tunes and then goes into arguably the best album even written is insane!

I guess there will always be people talking ****e about this band until they are no longer with us.

Couldn't agree more!
    To grumble about a concert that opens with those 4 tunes and then goes into arguably the best album even written is insane!

I guess there will always be people talking ****e about this band until they are no longer with us.

Oh they grumble and moan and complain but, does it stop them worrying about getting tickets for the next one and splashing out for them?

I rest my case :D

If we buy the tickets we’ve even more right to be critical.

Some people in here are so bizarrely “committed” that they won’t hear a single negative against the band.

They’re my favorite band ever but that doesn’t mean I can’t see when they make poor decisions.

I honestly think Live Nation decided the JT30 tour.

They’re on a downward spiral. I love the new album but it has flopped badly in the charts and AirPlay. Their current tour has 30k unsold tickets in the US.

Criticisms of fvcking Invisible are 100% legit :D don’t be so defensive lads.

• Advertisement

If we buy the tickets we’ve even more right to be critical.

Some people in here are so bizarrely “committed” that they won’t hear a single negative against the band.

They’re my favorite band ever but that doesn’t mean I can’t see when they make poor decisions.

I honestly think Live Nation decided the JT30 tour.

They’re on a downward spiral. I love the new album but it has flopped badly in the charts and AirPlay. Their current tour has 30k unsold tickets in the US.

Criticisms of fvcking Invisible are 100% legit :D don’t be so defensive lads.

Pal, I'm on a wind up. I don't care what you spend your money on. Was Messing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

"Nostalgia cash in"
    "Meh"
    "Not a proper tour"

The sound in the stands was terrible ,the worst at any U2 concert I have ever attended.

The screen was completely wasted for large periods of the concert ,showing montages of landscape ,and the band struggled to be seen against it ,like flies on a tv screen.
    For Popmart the band were accused of being dwarfed by the screen but I thought it was much worse for the Joshua Tree .
    I dont want to watch Anton Corbijns videos of a brass band or some desert landscape ,I want to see the band, and the balance was certainly not right for the concerts.

The lighting for the Joshua tree was the worst I have seen on any U2 tour.
    Starting the concert at 9pm on a Summers day in Dublin doesnt help either but there werent enough spotlights and people in the stands had great difficulty seeing the band.
    Even the B stage design was crap ,why was it towards one side of the stage and so short ?
    So the Red Zone people paying mega bobs could be near it that's why.

There is no comparison between the 3arena concerts and the Joshua Tree especially in Croke Park which is too big a stadium.

The nearest seat in Croke Park is similar to the furthest seat away in the 3arena.
    The sound was much better in the 3arena,the lighting was much better.
    The setlist was longer ,the band were far more relaxed .
    There was less of Bonos waffle and annoying political baggage .

Maybe we were spoiled by the 3arena gigs and Im probably being harsh as you cant really compare an indoor gig with a stadia gig ,indoors is always infinitely better.

If you are talking about the Dublin performance ,it wasnt a good performance ,they were very nervous and Bono was waffling too much.
    They were much better in Amsterdam a few weeks later.

The sound in the stands was terrible ,the worst at any U2 concert I have ever attended.

The screen was completely wasted for large periods of the concert ,showing montages of landscape ,and the band struggled to be seen against it ,like flies on a tv screen.
    For Popmart the band were accused of being dwarfed by the screen but I thought it was much worse for the Joshua Tree .
    I dont want to watch Anton Corbijns videos of a brass band or some desert landscape ,I want to see the band, and the balance was certainly not right for the concerts.

The lighting for the Joshua tree was the worst I have seen on any U2 tour.
    Starting the concert at 9pm on a Summers day in Dublin doesnt help either but there werent enough spotlights and people in the stands had great difficulty seeing the band.
    Even the B stage design was crap ,why was it towards one side of the stage and so short ?
    So the Red Zone people paying mega bobs could be near it that's why.

There is no comparison between the 3arena concerts and the Joshua Tree especially in Croke Park which is too big a stadium.

The nearest seat in Croke Park is similar to the furthest seat away in the 3arena.
    The sound was much better in the 3arena,the lighting was much better.
    The setlist was longer ,the band were far more relaxed .
    There was less of Bonos waffle and annoying political baggage .

Maybe we were spoiled by the 3arena gigs and Im probably being harsh as you cant really compare an indoor gig with a stadia gig ,indoors is always infinitely better.

If you are talking about the Dublin performance ,it wasnt a good performance ,they were very nervous and Bono was waffling too much.
    They were much better in Amsterdam a few weeks later.

****ing hell...

I'm going to say this clearly.

I enjoyed the gig. Immensely. I got my money worth.. I dont get hung up on other ****

That is all I was saying.

I never once compared it to any other gig. I just said I loved it.

The sound is an issue in any stadium, for any band

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

****ing hell...

I'm going to say this clearly.

I enjoyed the gig. Immensely. I got my money worth.. I dont get hung up on other ****

That is all I was saying.

I never once compared it to any other gig. I just said I loved it.

The sound is an issue in any stadium, for any band

Completely agree, I was standing 20 feet from the stage in Croke Park, the band were on form, the sound was great, the crowd were loving it and it was a great concert overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Wooderson

“Exit” showed how good that set up could have been however. A proper high watermark that in many ways justified the day for me. The lack of flexibility/dead loss at the end of the show bummed me out. Wasn’t up to the standard of the 4 or 5 other Croker performances I’ve seen them give.

• Advertisement

Wooderson wrote: »
    “Exit” showed how good that set up could have been however. A proper high watermark that in many ways justified the day for me. The lack of flexibility/dead loss at the end of the show bummed me out. Wasn’t up to the standard of the 4 or 5 other Croker performances I’ve seen them give.

I'll openly admit, I cried when they played Little Things but, that's for my own reasons.

The fly over during Streets, NYD in a new key with a full version, Exit as you say, Mothers... All great moments.

I know U2 are judged against the standards they have set but, I thought it was great. Best sound I've ever heard at an outdoor gig. I know it was obviously different in certain sections in the stands.. Happens at a lot of stadium gigs unfortunately.

Actually, the fly over during Streets is my second, if not best moment I've experienced at a gig

It was kinda cool but a plane flying over should not be anywhere near your live gig experience top 20 in my opinion.

It just paled in comparison to seeing them live in 97 and 01 or even 05. Like watching a former champ like Ali slug it out long past his peak. It just jars with me a bit. Lose the bombast I say, I just don’t think they can do the stadiums anymore and dare I say it are edging closer to The Rolling Stones with that nostalgia cash in. They’ve openly said they never would. They did and hindsight already hasn’t been kind to it.

Yes they gotta grow old, but they could do it more gracefully IMO.

Andy from Lamb, who produced a lot of SOE, was the live producer on tour and spoke at length of the work that went into managing Bono’s voice and working songs around it so he was able for them live.

They need to go stripped back. Large parts of the JT30 show might as well have been a backing track or a tribute band they were so far from their former glories.

I'll openly admit, I cried when they played Little Things but, that's for my own reasons.

The fly over during Streets, NYD in a new key with a full version, Exit as you say, Mothers... All great moments.

I know U2 are judged against the standards they have set but, I thought it was great. Best sound I've ever heard at an outdoor gig. I know it was obviously different in certain sections in the stands.. Happens at a lot of stadium gigs unfortunately.

Actually, the fly over during Streets is my second, if not best moment I've experienced at a gig

The flyover was truly special, totally agree mate. A belter of a moment.

It was kinda cool but a plane flying over should not be anywhere near your live gig experience top 20 in my opinion.

If you think I seen it as just a plane flying overhead, then you are mistaken.

U2 will always have defenders. Bono could waltz on stage and bang out “she’ll be coming round the mountain” on his cheeks and this thread would find a way to celebrate it. That goofball Sunny (hiya!) would do a 4 pager on it comparing it to Kid A.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

U2 will always have defenders. Bono could waltz on stage and bang out “she’ll be coming round the mountain” on his cheeks and this thread would find a way to celebrate it. That goofball Sunny (hiya!) would do a 4 pager on it comparing it to Kid A.

Is that part of the new show. I can't wait.

The flyover was truly special, totally agree mate. A belter of a moment.

It was so good that alot of the people in the Hogan stand didnt even see it !

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭blinkwink

Followed by a rendition of the following:

Not really sure if that was aimed at me but, I only said I enjoyed a gig :D

It was so good that alot of the people in the Hogan stand didnt even see it !

That's what happens when there is a roof in the way I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Wooderson wrote:
    U2 will always have defenders. Bono could waltz on stage and bang out “she’ll be coming round the mountain†on his cheeks and this thread would find a way to celebrate it. That goofball Sunny (hiya!) would do a 4 pager on it comparing it to Kid A.

Firstly Woody my name is Sonny not Sunny. But seen I shorthen your name all the time , I will let you off this time. But only this time. (Dont think Im not watching)

Secondly I wouldnt write 4 pages on comparing it Kid A.
    Why?
    1 Kid A is overatted. Radiohead went up their own backside after OK Computer. A great band, but a deeply flawed one. Prog Rock for the 21st century , And I always found prog rock pretentious .
    Actually OK Computer is overated. Yes there are 3 or 4 amazing tracks on the album, but there is quite a few filler. Radioheads best album is The Bends. No filler, top tunes from start to finish.

So in summary I would write 6 pages on comparing to The Bends.
    I would follow this up with 26 pages on why Hold me Thrill me Kiss me Kill me is the greateat song from a Batman film ever.
    Followed up by 46 pages on why Miss Sarajevo is the greatest song written about the Balkans Crisis ever.
    And finally 96 pages on why The Hands that built America is the greatest piece of cultural commentatary on American society since Columbus landed.
    If you call me Sunny again I will have no other choice but to post the above on boardsie. You have been pre warned.

Sonny678 wrote: »
    Firstly Woody my name is Sonny not Sunny. But seen I shorthen your name all the time , I will let you off this time. But only this time. (Dont think Im not watching)

Secondly I wouldnt write 4 pages on comparing it Kid A.
    Why?
    1 Kid A is overatted. Radiohead went up their own backside after OK Computer. A great band, but a deeply flawed one. Prog Rock for the 21st century , And I always found prog rock pretentious .
    Actually OK Computer is overated. Yes there are 3 or 4 amazing tracks on the album, but there is quite a few filler. Radioheads best album is The Bends. No filler, top tunes from start to finish.

So in summary I would write 6 pages on comparing to The Bends.
    I would follow this up with 26 pages on why Hold me Thrill me Kiss me Kill me is the greateat song from a Batman film ever.
    Followed up by 46 pages on why Miss Sarajevo is the greatest song written about the Balkans Crisis ever.
    And finally 96 pages on why The Hands that built America is the greatest piece of cultural commentatary on American society since Columbus landed.
    If you call me Sunny again I will have no other choice but to post the above on boardsie. You have been pre warned.

Apols Sonny. Vile and uncalled for repartee from me. Won’t happen again scout.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭weadick

The funniest part was people thinking it was the Irish Air Corps who did the flyover when it was actually a French group who were in Bray for an air show. Having said that I tears in my eyes at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,992 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

27658127_2053609274916944_7727415465367685090_n.jpg?oh=8b11e37495c1a6801d2db011ebdf2833&oe=5B228350

Edge in full Mick Jones regalia.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Seve OB wrote: »
    27658127_2053609274916944_7727415465367685090_n.jpg?oh=8b11e37495c1a6801d2db011ebdf2833&oe=5B228350

Just for the record, the lighting at that gig was the worst ever! Starting a gig at 1pm on the school boiler house... Unacceptable!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,992 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Just for the record, the lighting at that gig was the worst ever! Starting a gig at 1pm on the school boiler house... Unacceptable!

wasn't there myself, but I heard the sound was the worst ever at a gig

There was an epic flyover from an Aer Lingus trainee off piste though, saved the gig!!

:D, it wasnt 200 euro to get in then though and the people werent sitting 160 yards away .
    Those kids sitting on the stage went for the VIP On stage package ,2 pence .
    Oseary wanted to charge them £1000000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Great setlist though. Even though they only played for 45 mins.

1. Mofo
    2. Discothèque
    3. Zoo Station
    4. Zooropa
    5. Invisible (Most people went for a piss)
    6. Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car
    7. Lemon (Perfecto mix, Guggi on synths, Gav Friday posing)

Advertisement