Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Experience + Innocence Tour **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales or Requests**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

It’s something U2 have done plenty of times before, Do you feel loved on POP also borrowed a riff as did many other songs. It’s pretty common in music. A producer shares an idea and they interpret that riff into a song.

It’s nowhere near embarrassing.

And yes goblin, Ryan Tedder is a producer and was on SOI too.

Some seriously petty swipes but we should be well used to that when it comes to U2.

I'm not having any petty swipes. I'm simply curious to know the background to this song. Does Tedder and Co get a songwriting credit, yes or no? This isn't just a case of borrowing a riff...it's more or less the actual song.

I'm well aware of U2 and producers having a say in the band's music. Had U2 never met Eno and Lanois then much of their recorded output would have sounded very different to the music we know and love today. I've always looked at those two as extra members in a way and never had a problem with it. Artists do what they have to in order to get the best out of themselves. But this particular track I'd just love to know did they basically use a One Republic song for themselves or what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Not liking an album is fine, but making certain claims that are clearly bullsh!t will be called out on.

I'm not having any petty swipes. I'm simply curious to know the background to this song. Does Tedder and Co get a songwriting credit, yes or no? This isn't just a case of borrowing a riff...it's more or less the actual song.

I'm well aware of U2 and producers having a say in the band's music. Had U2 never met Eno and Lanois then much of their recorded output would have sounded very different to the music we know and love today. I've always looked at those two as extra members in a way and never had a problem with it. Artists do what they have to in order to get the best out of themselves. But this particular track I'd just love to know did they basically use a One Republic song for themselves or what.

Yes, Tedder is a producer on this and SOI, I say, for the second time.

It’s the riff. U2 have used riffs belonging to eno, lanois etc before.

Strange it’s suddenly a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

The Nal wrote: »
    U2 lost their original and even their 90s fanbase years ago. Their new fanbase is made up of people who cycle between nice easy listening stuff like Keane, Snow Patrol, the Killers and Coldplay etc and then U2. Depending on who has an album out that week. Theres nothing different between U2 and those bands now. Not a single thing.

Have to say the defence of the new album when anyone says anything remotely negative is hilarious. Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

I'm an older U2 fan.
    I don't listen to Keane, Coldplay, Snow Patrol or The Killers.

I also know of people who have been fans since TUF in the mid 80s..

Me thinks you're full of ****e

I'm reading it's a song One Republic were working on called West Coast. I'm then reading it's a song U2 wrote for One Republic and U2 decided to use it for themselves.

Either way, we're not going to get an answer for the time being. Good song though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Anyone's order status update yet? Mine hasn't. This is a balls now at this stage. As others said, it was expensive enough! Would have been here on Friday/Monday had it been Amazon

The funniest thing about goblin and co moaning about this record and the fact it's not Achtung Baby II is that it's 2017 and they've released 4 other albums in the 2000s that you guys seemingly hated or disliked......so why are you still listening to them?! It's bizarre. Get the hint, they're not for you, try another band.

A lot of toys being thrown out the pram as if this was the follow up to AB rather than almost 30 years down the line.

You can only truly compare it against their more recent work, and I think it might even be their best album since POP. Strange then to tackle it as if it is the antichrist.

It's far better than HTDAAB.

Yes, Tedder is a producer on this and SOI, I say, for the second time.

It’s the riff. U2 have used riffs belonging to eno, lanois etc before.

Strange it’s suddenly a problem.

I think you're the one with a problem. I simply would like to know the background to a song. What's the problem with that? I know Tedder is a producer on this and SOI. I didn't even question this so why are you telling me again? Bizarre stuff!

The funniest thing about goblin and co moaning about this record and the fact it's not Achtung Baby II is that it's 2017 and they've released 4 other albums in the 2000s that you guys seemingly hated or disliked......so why are you still listening to them?! It's bizarre. Get the hint, they're not for you, try another band.

A lot of toys being thrown out the pram as if this was the follow up to AB rather than almost 30 years down the line.

You can only truly compare it against their more recent work, and I think it might even be their best album since POP. Strange then to tackle it as if it is the antichrist.

Quite like HTDAAB. Well, the first half of it anyways. Original Of The Species is a tune.

I get people not liking an album or a piece of music. That's cool and all.
    But, there are people looking for something that doesn't exist, which I find strange.
    I don't particularly want an album full of songs like "Miami" or "Numb" or 12 minute Jazz solos, mixed with hip hop and tremolo guitars. I'll look to other artists for that.

I saw a comment online the other day.. Some fella wants them to hook up with Lillywhite again, go into a basic studio and record a reggae album..

Kind of hard to get my head around that tbh :D

Seriously you're just talking nonsense now. Absolutely nowhere did I state I was looking for Achtung Baby part 2. In fact a few pages ago I even asked why someone would want that from the band as it would make them artistically redundant.

As for moaning...I didn't realise that only people who liked the album were allowed comment in this thread. It's all about opinions. If you don't like mine fair enough but taking this utterly bizarre defensive line where people can feck off if they don't like the album is quite frankly laughable.

• Advertisement

Seriously you're just talking nonsense now. Absolutely nowhere did I state I was looking for Achtung Baby part 2. In fact a few pages ago I even asked why someone would want that from the band as it would make them artistically redundant.

As for moaning...I didn't realise that only people who liked the album were allowed comment in this thread. It's all about opinions. If you don't like mine fair enough but taking this utterly bizarre defensive line where people can feck off if they don't like the album is quite frankly laughable.

Didn't you say before though you wanted less guitar or less of The Edge on the album?

Kind of got your wish on some tracks tbf

You've said Bono lost the ability to write lyrics since the 90s. We're in 2017 now, maybe take a hint.

Opinions are welcome, but not from someone who hasn't enjoyed an album of theirs in 20 years. That's just bizarre self harm right there. Maybe try a different band. They're clearly not for you anymore.

Didn't you say before though you wanted less guitar or less of The Edge on the album?

Kind of got your wish on some tracks tbf

It's hardly the same thing as looking for Achtung Baby Part 2 which is what the other fella is accusing me of!

You've said Bono lost the ability to write lyrics since the 90s. We're in 2017 now, maybe take a hint.

Opinions are welcome, but not from someone who hasn't enjoyed an album of theirs in 20 years. That's just bizarre self harm right there. Maybe try a different band. They're clearly not for you anymore.

Jesus Christ! Once again, point out where I've said I haven't enjoyed an album of theirs in 20 years and get back to me.

Bizarre self harm? You've lost the fking plot here altogether.

It's hardly the same thing as looking for Achtung Baby Part 2 which is what the other fella is accusing me of!

Well, I find the reggae thing stranger than anyone looking for another AB tbf..

But yeah, you kind of got your wish in that regard. There's a lot less of his sound on tracks, with the exception of The Best Thing, Little Things and Get Out Of Your Own Way....

Although, his sound on The Blackout wouldn't be out of place on AB or Pop

Jesus Christ! Once again, point out where I've said I haven't enjoyed an album of theirs in 20 years and get back to me.

Bizarre self harm? You've lost the fking plot here altogether.

You said he has lost the ability to write lyrics since the 90s.

So where do you rank this in their 00s albums out of interest?

I think it's fairly obvious that U2's biggest weakness is Bono and has been for quite some time. He used to be a really brilliant lyric writer. But around the time of ATYCLB he became submerged in his own earnestness and self-regard. And he hasn't been able to come up for air since.

Agree to disagree so!
    With the exception of Miami, those lyrics you quoted are from and after when the quality began to drop, in the late 90s as I was pointing out. Previous to that he was brilliant at writing lyrics.

Seems pretty clear that you've stopped enjoying U2 since POP, 1997. Get the hint.

You said he has lost the ability to write lyrics since the 90s.

So where do you rank this in their 00s albums out of interest?

That doesn't translate as not enjoying any of their 2000s albums though. I really like most of NLOTH and listen to it a lot. So I don't have some anti-U2 2000s album agenda or whatever. I take every album on its own merits which is all that anyone can do.

That doesn't translate as not enjoying any of their 2000s albums though. I really like most of NLOTH and listen to it a lot. So I don't have some anti-U2 2000s album agenda or whatever. I take every album on its own merits which is all that anyone can do.

Sure, but where do you rank this, out of interest, in the 00s albums?

Seems pretty clear that you've stopped enjoying U2 since POP, 1997. Get the hint.

No, it's not pretty clear whatsoever! Where did I say I didn't like ATYCLB? And I just said I really like NLOTH. You've got some really strange notions going on in your head.

• Advertisement

"submerged in his own earnestness and self-regard. And he hasn't been able to come up for air since.", that's a good thing?

Still waiting for an answer to my question, where do you rank this in the 00s albums?

Sure, but where do you rank this, out of interest, in the 00s albums?

This one is down at the bottom. But just because I think that it is doesn't mean I should 'start finding some other bands' as you so helpfully suggest. :rolleyes:

This one is down at the bottom. But just because I think that it is doesn't mean I should 'start finding some other bands' as you so helpfully suggest. :rolleyes:

I find it very hard to believe that you think this is a worse album than HTDAAB. But if you do, then fair enough, we'll agree to disagree.

Your post about Bono and the issue SINCE ATYCLB suggested you've had a major issue with the band since 2000. In that case, yes, start finding some other bands.

Tbf, It's The Nal who has the issues really.

Half the time I don't know if he is on an elaborate WUM or being serious. If the latter then, my God!!

Green Gob (haha) doesn't fancy it. It's cool. He didn't come in here firing shots and saying it was utter ****e. Entitled to his opinion and his views. and I for one welcome them. It's music, it's an emotion. Not everyone gets it.

As for ranking the albums, I personally don't do that. Although, AB will always be my number 1. The rest fluctuate

Tbf, It's The Nal who has the issues really.

Half the time I don't know if he is on an elaborate WUM or being serious. If the latter then, my God!!

Green Gob (haha) doesn't fancy it. It's cool. He didn't come in here firing shots and saying it was utter ****e. Entitled to his opinion and his views. and I for one welcome them. It's music, it's an emotion. Not everyone gets it.

As for ranking the albums, I personally don't do that. Although, AB will always be my number 1. The rest fluctuate

Sure, but when someone says "submerged in his own earnestness and self-regard. And he hasn't been able to come up for air since.", about a guy from 2000, and seems surprised he doesn't like them in 2017, then I think there's something wrong with the person for not getting the hint.

I find it very hard to believe that you think this is a worse album than HTDAAB. But if you do, then fair enough, we'll agree to disagree.

Your post about Bono and the issue SINCE ATYCLB suggested you've had a major issue with the band since 2000. In that case, yes, start finding some other bands.

You have taken huge issue with the fact that I have the audacity to not like a U2 album. That seems to be the underlying issue with you. Do you not realise how childish it is to suggest that I should start finding some other bands? I listen to plenty of other music, thanks very much. But people are allowed be critical of U2. The world would be a very dull place if we all took the same opinion on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

HTDAAB is dreadful, for the most part. All the albums released since then have been superior in my view.

You have taken huge issue with the fact that I have the audacity to not like a U2 album. That seems to be the underlying issue with you. Do you not realise how childish it is to suggest that I should start finding some other bands? I listen to plenty of other music, thanks very much. But people are allowed be critical of U2. The world would be a very dull place if we all took the same opinion on everything.

That's not the issue at all, I have an issue with you claiming Bono submerged in his own earnestness and self-regard. And he hasn't been able to come up for air since. Since 2000. And still, surprised you don't like the current album. So in that regard, I deem your opinion pointless.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    HTDAAB is dreadful, for the most part. All the albums released since then have been superior in my view.

It's their worst album by quite a distance.

• Advertisement

That's not the issue at all, I have an issue with you claiming Bono submerged in his own earnestness and self-regard. And he hasn't been able to come up for air since. Since 2000. And still, surprised you don't like the current album. So in that regard, I deem your opinion pointless.

And yet I really enjoyed NLOTH. So how do you square that one?

Advertisement