Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension Commission

• 22-11-2017 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

So I've always had pension plans organised by my employers up until now but with current employer I have to arrange my own.
    One thing that I noticed is that for the first 2 years commission is 50% of contributions and then the annual management charge is 0.5%

Is this reasonable for Occupational Pensions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So I've always had pension plans organised by my employers up until now but with current employer I have to arrange my own.
    One thing that I noticed is that for the first 2 years commission is 50% of contributions and then the annual management charge is 0.5%

half your contribution is used to pay commission? that can't be right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

If that 50% figure seems very wrong. Do you have a link to the pension plan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

to clarify the pension provider (Acorn Life) are saying that for the first 2 years of my pension 50% of contributions will be taken and then after that they have the lowest charges in the market of 0.5% per year.

50% of 24 months contributions seemed high to me as it effectively negates the contribution my employer will be making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

to clarify the pension provider (Acorn Life) are saying that for the first 2 years of my pension 50% of contributions will be taken and then after that they have the lowest charges in the market of 0.5% per year.

After 24 months you can bet that the sales guy will be back with some new angle which will involve fund switching with more exorbitant charges. Any time I hear of that company, it's their sales staff churning existing policies to get yet more commission, they treat their customers like cash cows.

You need to pay someone for independent advice and steer clear of the high-commission cowboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

after that they have the lowest charges in the market of 0.5% per year.

Really?

What type of fund? My employer's scheme has a 0.25% charge on my fund (but some funds are higher depending on asset mix)

I'd ask for that in writing with proof tbh on what the basis is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Fleecer84

No that’s not reasonable. Do not, do not use them. Find a local broker tell him/her you are shopping around and are very keen to keep charges down. The company you mentioned are very “different” in their “charging” methods versus Zurich Aviva etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭Mumm_ra

50% of contributions for what exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭Mumm_ra

Surely .5%

Mumm_ra wrote: »
    Surely .5%

.5% is excellent but not the 50% initial contribution charge. Depending on figures you could expect maybe 0%contribution and 1% management charge.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Acorn Life charge more than an angry bull. Get better advice and value elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭thebackbar

coylemj wrote: »
    After 24 months you can bet that the sales guy will be back with some new angle which will involve fund switching with more exorbitant charges. Any time I hear of that company, it's their sales staff churning existing policies to get yet more commission, they treat their customers like cash cows.

You need to pay someone for independent advice and steer clear of the high-commission cowboys.

I fully agree with this statement, ie the need for independent advice, however outside of Dublin I have found it difficult to get independent advice, and i was fully willing/expecting to pay for it. Is there a list of independent pension advisers ?

What pension providers should I be looking at ? I always think its worth having some research done myself before engaging with a consultant.

Where are you based?
    thebackbar wrote: »
    I fully agree with this statement, ie the need for independent advice, however outside of Dublin I have found it difficult to get independent advice, and i was fully willing/expecting to pay for it. Is there a list of independent pension advisers ?

What pension providers should I be looking at ? I always think its worth having some research done myself before engaging with a consultant.

Fleecer84 wrote: »
    Where are you based?

Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭daheff

Does your employer get a kickback from these commissions?

Will your employer contribute using a different provider?

Galway

Not sure of Galway brokers I know a couple of good lads up there but they are tied to Irish life so deals aren’t great. I’ve my stuff with campion insurance there’s a lad in Athlone and mullingar for them he’s sound and up front with all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Plenty of decent brokers in Galway. Have a look at the Central Bank site for the best qualified.

Plenty of decent brokers in Galway. Have a look at the Central Bank site for the best qualified.

Really ? I'm trying to find a link to brokers in Galway who are independent. I cant find this information on the central banks website, can you point me in the direction of a link please ?

Really ? I'm trying to find a link to brokers in Galway who are independent. I cant find this information on the central banks website, can you point me in the direction of a link please ?

90% of brokers are independent doesn’t mean they aren’t greedy.
    Use a broker say you’ve a preference for Zurich/Aviva ask for a 100% allocation and a 1% AMC. Go to brokersireland.ie never mind central bank.

Advertisement