Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuisance noise from restaurant

Options
  • 22-11-2017 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭

I am looking for some information regarding noise from a commercial premises which has extractor, air con, and refrigeration fans that are installed underneath my apartment. The block is about 10 years old.

The fans run on average every 6 - 10 minutes for about 5 minutes, and are very loud, especially at night time. The are 3 different sounds that are occurring and range from buzzing and vibration types noises to very loud motor type sounds.

They run all night long and are a nuisance, and in some cases are loud enough to prevent you from getting to sleep and even wake you during the night.

There is also a constant buzzing noise that varies in pitch and volume that does not seem to stop at any time during the day that is also audible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You are describing a air conditioning unit powering a fridge freezer.

Question for you, was the restaurant/commercial space there when you bought/rented?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭eurokev

Yes you can complain to the council and a guy will come out with a decibel meter to measure noise levels.

The person who I used to work for had fridges on the the premises which had external fans and compressors outside the building.

In two locations, Cork and Dublin people complained and the boss had to go to a great deal of expense to rectify the issue it was causing to residential neighbours, and rightly so too.

I can't direct you any further I'm afraid but the local council should be able to help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

You are describing a air conditioning unit powering a fridge freezer.

Question for you, was the restaurant/commercial space there when you bought/rented?

Yes it was, block was developer owned and previously rented out. Developer sold the units earlier this year when I bought.

Tenants as they were renting i'd say didn't have an issue with it. But it is definitely a nuisance

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yes it was, block was developer owned and previously rented out. Developer sold the units earlier this year when I bought.

Tenants as they were renting i'd say didn't have an issue with it. But it is definitely a nuisance

If its zoned commercial and it's a reasonable noise level for ongoing operation(EG air con for Fridge units) you are probably out of luck. Either way, google your local council and noise complaints to give it a shot. If there is something unreasonable about it or the planning never allowed for cooling or outside mounted units then they might be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

is the noise mainly coming through the window?

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    is the noise mainly coming through the window?

No it can be heard in every room in the apartment, and though the floor

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

No it can be heard in every room in the apartment, and though the floor

wow! that sucks! All I could see as being practical, unless the units are faulty, is a new suspended ceiling using lots of sound board etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Had a friend with a similar problem except it was a Spar shop rather than a restaurant. He solved it by going to the shop owneri who put him onto the landlord who sent an engineer out to fix the air con unit which was getting quite old in any case. The unit was full of gunk and dust which was making the fans work even harder which resulted in more noise than normal.

I would say your first port of call should be the landlord, not the council. See if you can solve it amicably first. If not then get a decible meter and see is it breaching acceptable noise levels and then go to the council.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Had a friend with a similar problem except it was a Spar shop rather than a restaurant. He solved it by going to the shop owneri who put him onto the landlord who sent an engineer out to fix the air con unit which was getting quite old in any case. The unit was full of gunk and dust which was making the fans work even harder which resulted in more noise than normal.

I would say your first port of call should be the landlord, not the council. See if you can solve it amicably first. If not then get a decible meter and see is it breaching acceptable noise levels and then go to the council.

Yeah I had a look at the units myself last night, they arent in the best shape.

Will speak to them at the weekend!

Advertisement