Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance premium after claim

Options
  • 22-11-2017 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

just looking for a bit of information/ advice. I crashed my car on the motorway in late October, no other cars were involved but i did hit and damage a barrier. im fine but my sister injured her leg ( not broken but still swollen and sore) i already have a third party claim against me now for repairing the barrier (which i honestly dont mind as it did save our lives) but what im wondering is how badly will my premium be affected by this, or does the price of the claim impact your premium at all? (bear in mind I had to claim for my car as it was a write off)

any information or advice is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I'd say it all depends on the policy that you are on. You may lose your no claims bonus because of the claim you put in. Some have full claim protection or a step back,which allows you to claim without losing out or just drop down one year.
    Easy way to check is to go on the various companies sites and just enter the details as if you have no claim free years and compare the price to your current one. You will find out soon when your renewal quote comes in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Has your sister put in an injury claim against you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 boomstick28

Has your sister put in an injury claim against you?

No thankfully she hasn't, she jokes about it alright but she never would

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

No thankfully she hasn't, she jokes about it alright but she never would

Given that your sister has 2 years to decide if she want to lodge a claim for her injury, the claim may still be classified as open by your insurer. This might prevent you seeking alternative quotes at renewal

Advertisement