Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter cycling jacket

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

no reason not to.
    it wont be any good below 8 or 9 degrees without a baselayer. e.g. last sunday i was on a club spin... misty, windy 8 degrees and had a Canterbury heavy baselayer underneath on which just kept me at the right temp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

Looking to pick up a good cycling jacket. One for all conditions thru the winter.
    Im looking at maybe this
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/castelli-perfetto-long-sleeve-2017/rp-prod161957?utm_source=customerops&utm_medium=techsupport&utm_campaign=CRC016
    Any reson why i shouldnt? And would anyone recommend anything else
    If you're interested, I've a Castelli Gabba and a Galibier Mistral jacket for sale. Two of the best winter jackets around.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

Check Galibier also

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

I have a Castelli Gabba convertible (Now called Perfetto) and a Galibier Mistral.

The Gabba gets more use as it's rarely cold enough for the Mistral. But when it's very cold, (especially the damp type of cold) the mistral is hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have a Gabba and an Aldi winter performance jacket from last year. The Aldi jacket is excellent and my go to jacket for the coldest days. The Gabba is perfect when temperatures are above 4/5 degrees, anything lower and I get cold easily and it’s so close fitting that I can only wear a base layer underneath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Looks a good jacket to me. I like Castelli gear and have as long as you get the sizing right you'll be grand. I also have a Galibier Colombier jacket but the arms are slightly too short for me and it doesn't wick the sweat as well as my Castelli ones

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

For cold Santini Meridian is the best jacket I've tried. Paired with a merino base layer and it made a mockery of freezing conditions last year.

BTwins 700 or 900 jackets are also good for their price range.

GALIBIER Mistral is excellent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 rivermansteve

Looking to pick up a good cycling jacket. One for all conditions thru the winter.
    Im looking at maybe this
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/castelli-perfetto-long-sleeve-2017/rp-prod161957?utm_source=customerops&utm_medium=techsupport&utm_campaign=CRC016
    Any reson why i shouldnt? And would anyone recommend anything else

Thanks for all the advice everyone. The above product dropped 70 euro since the thread opened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Looking something myself but something to fit someone who’s 16.5 stone with a belly :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I have a Gabba and an Aldi winter performance jacket from last year. The Aldi jacket is excellent and my go to jacket for the coldest days. The Gabba is perfect when temperatures are above 4/5 degrees, anything lower and I get cold easily and it’s so close fitting that I can only wear a base layer underneath.

I received my first Gabba in the post the other day and i'm not sure if it fits me or not. I ordered a large as this would usually be big enough to fit me in any jersey or jacket but while i can move around without any issues, its more like an aero top on me.
    Are they usually a tight fitting?.
    I can just about get a base layer under it and close the zip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I received my first Gabba in the post the other day and i'm not sure if it fits me or not. I ordered a large as this would usually be big enough to fit me in any jersey or jacket but while i can move around without any issues, its more like an aero top on me.

they are a race fit so will be pretty tight fitting anyway - most people recommend 1 size up from your usual sizing. i usually wear a medium but got the Gabba in large and it fits me perfectly while still being very much 'fitted'. that said i wore it last week with 2 layers underneath so there's obviously more room than i thought previously!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Mine is the same. The compression helps with heat retention on colder days and it’s fairky stretchy material. I love the fit of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Great. Cheers lads. Didn't really want to send it back so ill hold onto now.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

A Perfetto for a hundred quid is very hard to beat. I couldn't recommend the Gabba/Perfetto enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I got a Perfetto recently. Phenomenal jacket. Could not recommend it highly enough for Irish weather where it could get windy or wet or cold at any moment, but the jacket is still not going to cook you if it's warm. I went a size up and it is close fitting even at that. Contemplating getting an extra one to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The gabba long sleeve is grand but for the cold windy wet weather I got myself a Castelli Alpha jacket, great design and very cosy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Wow, that's a bargain. Go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Somedude9 wrote: »
    If you're interested, I've a Castelli Gabba and a Galibier Mistral jacket for sale. Two of the best winter jackets around.

Hey, is the gabba ss? what size?
    thanks

Hey, is the gabba ss? what size?
    thanks

It's a large, long-sleeved convertible, sky blue colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Somedude9 wrote: »
    It's a large, long-sleeved convertible, sky blue colour.

pm sent :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

If anyone in or around Cork city picked up a black Castelli Perfetto in XL and would prefer L I might be up for a swap in a few days. Have one on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭slow

The Galibier Mistral is amazing for any money, but the fact that it's so reasonably priced makes it number 1 on so many fronts. It's an Irish company run by Myles McCorry. His customer service is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I have an original Black Galibier Mistral, best bit of cycling gear I own. I gave up wondering how it works, just let the witchcraft happen. I wear an appropriate baselayer under it, usually a lidl/Aldi long sleeve one.

Small vid I made a few days ago, while selling a "new" blue version that I never used. just a tad too blue tbh!

www.instagram.com/p/BcAGot0hNMO/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Another vote for Galibier Mistral, great jacket and have the tights as well this winter, impressed with both for reasonable money

• Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭secman

dahat wrote: »
    Another vote for Galibier Mistral, great jacket and have the tights as well this winter, impressed with both for reasonable money

How does the sizing fair, is a Large a proper large ?

All very true - oh look! there's one for sale here :pac: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057813943

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

secman wrote: »
    How does the sizing fair, is a Large a proper large ?

Sizing is true to size id say, I'd fit a large this year but using last years xl as it isn't too baggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

slow wrote: »
    The Galibier Mistral is amazing for any money, but the fact that it's so reasonably priced makes it number 1 on so many fronts. It's an Irish company run by Myles McCorry. His customer service is great.
    dahat wrote: »

Was beginning to loose faith in my Mistral on Sunday but combined it with two Cantebury long-sleeve base layers yesterday and all was well. Both rides were in the 1 to 3 degrees range. The tights are great too but a bit out of sync with this year's blue jacket. No problem for me as I have the black/red jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Have the Mistral tights as well - cracking bit of kit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Have the Mistral tights as well - cracking bit of kit!

Same here - excellent tights.

Advertisement