Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toy shop with model railway display??

• 22-11-2017 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

Is there any shop around the city that has a model railway display, last one I remember was tots to teens many years ago. Would love to see these and other displays like they did years ago. Who remembers this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Tots to Teens. You must be as old as the hills! Or worse, as old as myself.

Sadly I think the whole model railway thing has fallen from the realm of kids' toys and resides instead completely in the expensive world of adult geek big boys' toys.

The small retail shop is part of the past now and the large-scale retailers such as Smyths and ToysRUs dominate. They tend to give over all floor space to tall racks and don't bother with any showcase stuff of any kind.

There used to be a large display up in north Dublin somewhere but that went by the wayside too due to lack of interest. To my own shame and regret I never visited it when it existed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Marks Models in Dublin city centre used to have displays. He's still going. Haven't been in for a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

thanks for the replies, it's a very expensive hobby alright and not for kids,they prefer their online gaming and anything that uses WIFI these days. The small toy shops are a thing of the past as is with many types of shop,the superstore has taken over stacked to the ceiling with stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

There used to be a place in tralee that had a big display in blennerville I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

daveob007 wrote: »
    Is there any shop around the city that has a model railway display, last one I remember was tots to teens many years ago. Would love to see these and other displays like they did years ago. Who remembers this.

I bought my train set in Tots to Teens - still have it actually. It was a Lima set and I remember buying all the extra tracks and points etc. Must get it out and see if I can get it going again.... It was a great toy shop and it's a pity it's gone.

You could try Hamleys in Dundrum Shopping Centre in Dublin - they do displays in their Regents St shop in London - they may have one in Dublin too, not sure though. There used to be a shop on Oliver Plunkett Street in Cork, at the Bus Station end, that did model railways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 RebeccaY

I think Brown Thomas has a small train as part of there display

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭SQ2

Keep an eye out for the Fry Model Railway on Facebook. I think they're trying to find somewhere to house it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Bamba Toymaster has trains also. Dunno where they are outside of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

Where was Tots to Teens located? I'm pushing 40 and don't remember it - if I got a location I might get flashbacks!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭Scar001

Was on O'Connell Street beside Cruises Hotel.
    Near where McDonalds is now.
    Had button on window that would start display train set when shop was closed.
    Can just make out sign in pic.Cruise011.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Christ absolute disgrace that hotel was knocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The resulting 'street' detracted somewhat from Limerick's shopping appeal rather than adding to it.

When things contracted in 2007/2008 the assortment of UK chain stores legged it within a very short time of each other and left a despondent wasteland in their wake that served as a ball and chain around Limerick's retail ankle. This was compounded by a simultaneous 'doughnut' effect: suburban retail park and shopping centre growth.

Cruises St. is still struggling somewhat in 2017 to attain its potential. Ill conceived.

Advertisement