Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I lose my NCB if I take a break?

Options
  • 22-11-2017 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm insured on my own car 15 yrs now with a solid NCB. My wife also has a car and we are both insured on each others. I cycle now and rarely use my car and I'm thinking of selling it.

However if I were to sell it and decide in 2-3yrs i need another car would I be hammered with high insurance due to the break in cover or would the fact i'm insured on my wifes car cover me ?

J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

jon1981 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm insured on my own car 15 yrs now with a solid NCB. My wife also has a car and we are both insured on each others. I cycle now and rarely use my car and I'm thinking of selling it.

However if I were to sell it and decide in 2-3yrs i need another car would I be hammered with high insurance due to the break in cover or would the fact i'm insured on my wifes car cover me ?

J

I don't think being on your wife's insurance would keep your NCB. I think after two years you'd lose it. Happens to people who become sales reps and the company insures them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, it is valid for 2 years. Ask your insurer specifically though. They may have some option you can avail of.

https://www.kennco.ie/blog/no-claims-bonus-expired/
    Are you aware that if you have a gap of 2 or more years in your car insurance cover, your no claims bonus may have expired? Many drivers in Ireland are unaware than if they have do not have an insurance policy in their own name in Ireland for more than 2 years, they may lose their entire no claims bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Your NCB is valid for 2 years, in some cases 3 yrs now.

And as long as you remain a named/2nd driver for this time, you will still have a continuous record of insurance (providing no breaks and no claims) so this will be taken into account when you seek cover in your own name in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

CoDy1 wrote: »

And as long as you remain a named/2nd driver for this time, you will still have a continuous record of insurance (providing no breaks and no claims) so this will be taken into account when you seek cover in your own name in the future.

Which will be worth f-all when it comes to an actual quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Which will be worth f-all when it comes to an actual quote.

As opposed to no proof of driving it would be worth quiet a lot actually..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Thanks for all the feedback, some food for thought there. It's a ridiculous reason to keep a car I don't or rarely use just to keep my premium low (currently 500 euro). I like the rotation idea with the wife, might look into that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I agree it's mad but insurance companies probably see it as a way of extracting a bit more money out of the driver cohort.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

My husband and I have one car and swap our insurance over and back every year so we both keep our no claims bonus. No issues at all. From talking to our broker it seems common enough.

Advertisement