Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince Williams Seat

Options
  • 22-11-2017 6:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40

Hello Knowledgable Folk,

I was out hiking the lat day between Glencullen and Glencree and wandered up Prince Williams Seat. It got me thinking where the name came from. I have searched all over Google (and the forms here) and could not find any answers.

I did a search of the Irish newspaper archives and all I could find was one article from August 1st, 1938, it was a what seems to be a letter to the editor and it asks the same question, where did the name come from? A better way to find out would be if I knew the Irish name, but I can't find that either.

The article I mentioned is attached.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 drbeatz

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭Alun

And I was just going to say you should wait until Barry Dalby sees this post as he's sure to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

great thread. love this type of thing. had to read the article 3 or 4 times to figure out what was going on. naming the wrong hill prince williams seat. well that was confusing enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Alun wrote: »
    And I was just going to say you should wait until Barry Dalby sees this post as he's sure to know!

is he on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭Alun

is he on here?
    Yes, BarryD2, previously BarryD. Hasn't posted for a few months though. Probably too busy with his new maps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

emo72 wrote: »
    great thread. love this type of thing. had to read the article 3 or 4 times to figure out what was going on. naming the wrong hill prince williams seat. well that was confusing enough.

Well, I guess that they borrowed the name William from nearby Fitzwilliam's Seat and stuck Prince in front of it for their own reasons.

Triangulation isn't much practiced now as GPS gives quick fixes but if it were, stations like these would likely have numeric labels. Back in the 1830s the surveyors used names to identify the stations. If they didn't have a name, it seems they just made one up by borrowing it from a nearby feature that was named. I suspect this is how several hills have names taken from adjacent coums. So for example, the hill labeled as Coumfea in the Comeragh Mountains is clearly not Coumfea which is an adjacent corrie. It's nonsense to call a hill a coum or corrie. The names of these survey stations were more likely to make their way onto the published six inch maps and their derivations, the one inch, half inch and eventually the new 1:50,000.

Advertisement