Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet repeatedly failing

Options
  • 22-11-2017 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi

I need help, I know it is more of a technical issue but advice is needed.

For  years the internet has repeatedly failed.   It is at any time of day / night so I have thought it can't be contention issues, but now I am beginning to have doubts.

We have repeatedly replaced the modem, and had the engineer out  numerous times.

The excuse we normally get is "there was a wire loose at the exchange"

But this is beyond a joke.  How can a wire be so temperamental to be coming "loose" every couple of months. 

The issue starts with just occasionally briefly losing connection and then gradually gets worse and worse til I ring and complain (which is after I can get no internet for a few hours).

What am I supposed to do? I have put up with this intermittent issue for years,and it just gets so tiring, I can't rely on the home internet.   

Is there any way of getting to the root of this issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

OP I've had the exact same problem for nearly 2 years
    I've had maybe 5/6 engineers calling out, have changed modem the same number of times, moved the modem to a diff location. They've changed wiring, gone into attic, checked the cabinet on the road, monitored it remotely for a few days. They also assume you know what they're talking about when they tell you things.
    At the moment mine has been fine for the last few months, but it's so frustrating ringing them, having to explain the same problem constantly, I have maybe 4 sheets of paper detailing the dates I've called and who I've spoken with. Never spoken to the same person twice, each person asks the same questions even though I tell them this is my xth call with the same issue, they run line tests and it's all fine, they can see it dropping on their side, they've changed broadband speeds but no matter what they do it comes back again. I've been told the wiring in my house wasn't installed properly and to get back onto the builders! Even though the house is 15 years old and we didn't buy from them anyway. I've been told my landline is the problem by a guy on the phone only for the engineer who came out to ignore that and not even check it.
    One engineer did give me a clue, saying that their batch of modems was being replaced, to those of a diff manufacturer. Reading between the lines, he was saying they've had numerous problems with them
    When my modem was replaced the last time I was hoping it would be a diff brand, but it wasn't. Fingers crossed though it's been stable since then. But I fully expect it to go again at some stage .
    I can't understand why they don't notice the same number ringing with the same problem over 2 years and escalate it but they haven't, so much for customer service.
    Once my contract is up, I'm gone from them. Stuck with them up to now because my daughter was using the Study Hub for LC so didn't want to lose access to that, (and be blamed if she did badly), but now she's done .
    And as I type she's just come into the room and said the wifi is on the blink again😱😱
    I've jinxed myself, hope it's just temporary, can't face hours stuck on phone and waiting in for calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

I've had maybe 5/6 engineers calling out, have changed modem the same number of times, moved the modem to a diff location. They've changed wiring, gone into attic, checked the cabinet on the road, monitored it remotely for a few days. They also assume you know what they're talking about when they tell you things.
    At the moment mine has been fine for the last few months, but it's so frustrating ringing them, having to explain the same problem constantly, I have maybe 4 sheets of paper detailing the dates I've called and who I've spoken with. Never spoken to the same person twice, each person asks the same questions even though I tell them this is my xth call with the same issue, they run line tests and it's all fine, they can see it dropping on their side, they've changed broadband speeds but no matter what they do it comes back again. I've been told the wiring in my house wasn't installed properly and to get back onto the builders! Even though the house is 15 years old and we didn't buy from them anyway. I've been told my landline is the problem by a guy on the phone only for the engineer who came out to ignore that and not even check it.
    One engineer did give me a clue, saying that their batch of modems was being replaced, to those of a diff manufacturer. Reading between the lines, he was saying they've had numerous problems with them
    When my modem was replaced the last time I was hoping it would be a diff brand, but it wasn't. Fingers crossed though it's been stable since then. But I fully expect it to go again at some stage .
    I can't understand why they don't notice the same number ringing with the same problem over 2 years and escalate it but they haven't, so much for customer service.
    Once my contract is up, I'm gone from them. Stuck with them up to now because my daughter was using the Study Hub for LC so didn't want to lose access to that, (and be blamed if she did badly), but now she's done .
    And as I type she's just come into the room and said the wifi is on the blink again😱😱
    I've jinxed myself, hope it's just temporary, can't face hours stuck on phone and waiting in for calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

Hi

For  years the internet has repeatedly failed.   It is at any time of day / night so I have thought it can't be contention issues, but now I am beginning to have doubts.

We have repeatedly replaced the modem, and had the engineer out  numerous times.

But this is beyond a joke.  How can a wire be so temperamental to be coming "loose" every couple of months. 

The issue starts with just occasionally briefly losing connection and then gradually gets worse and worse til I ring and complain (which is after I can get no internet for a few hours).

What am I supposed to do? I have put up with this intermittent issue for years,and it just gets so tiring, I can't rely on the home internet.   

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch and letting us know about the issue you're having with your broadband. I am very sorry about this. Can you PM me your account number and full name, please?

- Adam

Hi

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch and letting us know about the issue you're having with your broadband. I am very sorry about this. Can you PM me your account number and full name, please?

- Adam

NutmegGirl wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm very sorry to hear about the ongoing issues you've been experiencing with your broadband service. Did this come back on after it started to drop yesterday? If not, can you PM me your account number and full name, please?

- Adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭boarduser01

eir: Adam wrote: »
    Hi there,

- Adam

Thank you for replying
    However this month I have given up having chased the problem. I have got mobile broadband and it has given no problems at all. My advice to anyone reading this is to forget the appalling landline broadband option and to take the better option of mobile broadband, it is cheaper and less problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭boarduser01

Thanks for your reply. Just an update Incase you are still having broadband issues. I have finally given up on landline broadband, it could never be relied upon. I now use mobile broadband and it is fantastic. So much better than the landline. I wish I had switched years ago!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭eir: Thomas

Thanks for your reply.  Just an update Incase you are still having broadband issues.  I have finally given up on landline broadband, it could never be relied upon.  I now use mobile broadband and it is fantastic.  So much better than the landline.  I wish I had switched years ago!!!
    I'm glad to hear your happy with your service now.

Thanks

Thomas

Advertisement