Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Rockets Style Chip Seasoning?

• 22-11-2017 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭

You know that red salt you get on quality fries in a lot of places, what is it? Does anywhere sell it? Ive heard chicken salt is supposed to be really nice aswell, anywhere sell that in Ireland or should I just Ebay it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I assumed that was celery salt with some paprika, could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Apogee

Nando's Peri-peri salt. You can purchase in any Nandos.

https://www.nandos.ie/food/products

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

When I was much younger I used to visit my aunt in Dublin and she brought me to Eddie rockets everytime I went up just because I was obsessed with their chips....fast forward 20+ years and I was making chips myself in the air fryer last week and decided to throw a bit of "all Spice seasoning in on top of them as they were cooking. It transported me back to those simpler times.

Give that a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

When I was much younger I used to visit my aunt in Dublin and she brought me to Eddie rockets everytime I went up just because I was obsessed with their chips....fast forward 20+ years and I was making chips myself in the air fryer last week and decided to throw a bit of "all Spice seasoning in on top of them as they were cooking. It transported me back to those simpler times.

Give that a shot.
    Ill give it a go, thanks. Dont know if you saw the post in the Airfryer thread but these are the nicest chips Ive ever had out of the Airfryer, Im just looking for something to give them a little kick over the line into perfection:

h7vX0f6.png

Apogee wrote: »
    Nando's Peri-peri salt. You can purchase in any Nandos.

https://www.nandos.ie/food/products
    Oh yeah never thought of that actually, I think they're in Tesco aswell, thanks.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Ill give it a go, thanks. Dont know if you saw the post in the Airfryer thread but these are the nicest chips Ive ever had out of the Airfryer, Im just looking for something to give them a little kick over the line into perfection:

h7vX0f6.png

Literally just saw that, I'll be picking some up tomorrow. With regards the all spice, just a tablespoon should be plenty and then give the basket a shake to spread it around. It is quite salty so don't go mad with it.

According to this thread from 2010 its a mixed spice called Season All:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054991913&page=4

Im going to have to track this down:

https://www.schwartz.co.uk/products/seasonings-and-blends/ingredient-led/season-all

Must try that 1 part mustard 5 parts mayo sauce on a burger next time aswell, that is a quality sauce they use in Eddies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,896 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Literally just saw that, I'll be picking some up tomorrow. With regards the all spice, just a tablespoon should be plenty and then give the basket a shake to spread it around. It is quite salty so don't go mad with it.

Allspice is a berry, are you sure you're not thinking of Five Spice?

If so, it's definitely not that they use.

According to this thread from 2010 its a mixed spice called Season All:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054991913&page=4

Im going to have to track this down:

https://www.schwartz.co.uk/products/seasonings-and-blends/ingredient-led/season-all
    RasTa wrote: »
    I assumed that was celery salt with some paprika, could be wrong.
    That was a good call:
    Our SEASON-ALL is expertly blended with paprika, black pepper and celery seeds for perfectly seasoned dishes.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Allspice is a berry, are you sure you're not thinking of Five Spice?

If so, it's definitely not that they use.

Definitely not five spice, I have that aswell. I'll get a photo of the one I used tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

• Advertisement

Schwartz do a jar of chip seasoning :) I've seen it in tesco. It's described as 'Our Classic Chip Seasoning is expertly blended with paprika, onion and garlic for perfectly seasoned chips.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Have a look on the back of the Nando's shake.........its mainly salt. Just make you're own up with the same ingredients as on the label, 1/10th of the price, make your own recipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

"east end" have a good "all purpose seasoning", has MSG which some might not want.

http://www.eastendfoods.co.uk/product-categories/spices/spice-blends/spice-seasoning/all-purpose-seasoning/

INGREDIENTS

Salt
    Paprika
    Sugar
    Flavour Enhancer E621 (Monosodium Glutamate)
    Mustard Powder
    Pepper
    Chilli Powder
    Garlic Powder
    Natural Colour: Paprika E160c, Caramel E150c
    Onion Powder
    Celery

187871.jpg?v=20170514120714

Hoboo wrote: »
    Have a look on the back of the Nando's shake.........its mainly salt. Just make you're own up with the same ingredients as on the label, 1/10th of the price, make your own recipe.
    I just dont use spices enough to justify it, some of my seasoning jars are years old.
    rubadub wrote: »
    "east end" have a good "all purpose seasoning", has MSG which some might not want.

http://www.eastendfoods.co.uk/product-categories/spices/spice-blends/spice-seasoning/all-purpose-seasoning/

INGREDIENTS

Salt
    Paprika
    Sugar
    Flavour Enhancer E621 (Monosodium Glutamate)
    Mustard Powder
    Pepper
    Chilli Powder
    Garlic Powder
    Natural Colour: Paprika E160c, Caramel E150c
    Onion Powder
    Celery

187871.jpg?v=20170514120714
    Nah not going down the MSG route no matter what, thnks though.

Thargor wrote:
    Nah not going down the MSG route no matter what, thnks though.

You do realise the Eddie Rockets seasoning is likely full of it, though, right?

As far as I can tell its this stuff or something very similar, no MSG in the ingredients:

Im pretty happy with it anyway, going to make a batch of homemade Airfryer chips to test it properly this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

As far as I can tell its this stuff or something very similar, no MSG in the ingredients:

https://www.schwartz.co.uk/products/seasonings-and-blends/ingredient-led/season-all.
    Yes there appears to me none, it can come under many names. I love the stuff add it to lots of stuff. Schwartz do appear to be on the NO-MSG buzz though, as many producers are who legally have to declare ingredients are. I would presume eddie rockets do use it, those who don't usually make a big point of it.

This is the nandos list.
    Nando’s ® Peri-Peri Salt 70g A Blend of salt, spices
    and Peri Peri (African Birds Eye Chilli)
    Ingredients: Salt, Paprika (23%), Cayenne Pepper, Anticaking
    Agent (Silicon Dioxide), Yeast Extract, White Pepper, Natural
    Flavouring, African Bird’s Eye Chilli (Peri-Peri), Colour
    (Curcumin).

Both "yeast extract" and "natural flavouring" could be both MSG, and so even more hidden by splitting them in 2 so they appear further down the list of ingredients which are always listed by greatest first.
    Hidden names for MSG and free glutamic acid:
    Names of ingredients that always contain processed free glutamic acid: (7)

Glutamic Acid (E 620)
    Glutamate (E 620)
    Monosodium Glutamate (E 621)
    Monopotassium Glutamate (E 622)
    Calcium Glutamate (E 623)
    Monoammonium Glutamate (E 624)
    Magnesium Glutamate (E 625)
    Natrium Glutamate
    Yeast Extract
    Anything “hydrolyzed”
    Any “hydrolyzed protein”
    Calcium Caseinate
    Sodium Caseinate
    Yeast Food
    Yeast Nutrient
    Autolyzed Yeast
    Gelatin
    Textured Protein
    Soy Protein
    Soy Protein Concentrate
    Soy Protein Isolate
    Whey Protein
    Whey Protein Concentrate
    Whey Protein Isolate
    Anything “…protein”
    Vetsin
    Ajinomoto

Names of ingredients that often contain or produce processed free glutamic acid: (7)

Carrageenan (E 407)
    Bouillon and broth
    Stock
    Any “flavors” or “flavoring”
    Maltodextrin
    Citric acid, Citrate (E 330)
    Anything “ultra-pasteurized”
    Barley malt
    Pectin (E 440)
    Protease
    Anything “enzyme modified”
    Anything containing “enzymes”
    Malt extract
    Soy sauce
    Soy sauce extract
    Anything “protein fortified”
    Anything “fermented”
    Seasonings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

What's wrong with MSG?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

What's wrong with MSG?

Some people believe it is a "neurotoxin" because it excites the nervous system (so does caffeine, in a different way). There is no scientific evidence for this causing harm. The "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome" that many people attribute to a reaction to MSG is a reaction to a carbohydrate hit or a blood pressure response to the high levels of salt.

Of course, allergies and similar reactions do exist, but they are rare.

What's wrong with MSG?
    Nothing scientific it just seems like cheating to start horsing it into daily meals, Ill save it as a treat in the odd takeaway :D

• Advertisement

Speedwell wrote: »
    The "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome" that many people attribute to a reaction to MSG is a reaction to a carbohydrate hit or a blood pressure response to the high levels of salt.

People who are sensitive to it also seem to be just as sensitive to naturally occurring glutamates, which of course don't get demonised anywhere near as much. RTE or BBC did a programme on it a few years back, it was very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

What's wrong with MSG?

It's addictively delicious!

Advertisement