Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guess what Mad_Lad got this time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Indeed, I also thought those with petrol engines should not use the DC network but considering I was never a d1ck in the Leaf and always just took what I needed I think even with my petrol backup that I deserve a little bit of the network after all , it's there for everyone, you could and I have many times argued that while yes, the person with the Rex or Outlander can make their way home on petrol that the local leaf driver can also charge at home

I had my first dose of passive aggressive anti-i3 fun last week. Arrived at a fast charger just a minute before a L40. I only wanted a 20 minute boost as I had a 90 mile round trip after work and wanted to get up to 90%.

Leaf guy sat in his car for a while and then got out, did a full walk around mine, checked my battery level (about 84% at that stage) on the charger and then asked how long I'd be.

I told him I'd be a few minutes, and I was, and when I was unplugging he had a moan about all these hybrids hogging the fast chargers when they didn't need it, and those who charge beyond 80% even though it slows way down at that stage.

I may have told that story before, but it's late and I've been at work since 8am so I'm too tired to check.

I'd be far more concerned about people using the chargers just because it's free and could otherwise charge at home , people using it to charge when needed are not using the network inappropriately and worse again those who rub other people's noses in the fact that they are 100% aware you need a charge and are not a bit shy in letting you know they're using the charger because it's free and don't care you are on the road since 7 am and are trying to get just 10 mins charge to get home at 8:30 PM, these are the people I despise the most especially when they turn around and tell you that you should have got a car that was suitable !!!!!

If anyone had words with me at a charger I'd politely tell them to contact the ESB and request that they install a lot more chargers and I'd also ask them which would they prefer a PHEV owner using the network because he needed it or a BEV owner using the network just because it's free and could charge at home instead ? that would shut them up pretty quick.

Oh he wasn't confrontational, just snide, lol.

Ps if you've ever wondered what the inside of an i3 door looks like...

469531.jpg
    469532.jpg
    469533.jpg

Is that yours ? what happened ?

Storm Deirdre nearly blew the door off. Blew it wide open and damaged the check strap. Also bent this bit of the internal frame slightly.

469557.jpg

New check strap/door brake cost £41 from BMW, the bodyshop fitted it for just £20 (friend of a friend).

When they stripped the panel and spotted the bent part they just took the door off, heated it and straightened it.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭oodles19

Well lads, I've been following this thread (and others) and they've been hugely informative. I'm about to pull the trigger on an i3 94ah for the mother, there's a few knocking around in the UK that can be had for less than €22k all in and imported.

Mad_Lad's and others posts have been hugely informative, so thanks to all, I just have a few questions if anyone can help?

What should I be looking out for in relation to condition/battery life/REX health etc?

Does anyone have any experience with UK manufacturer approved warranty carrying over here? Can it be added to or service packs purchased in Ireland?

What cabling should be included?

My Mam is in her 60's and not techy in the least, is the Pro Nav worth bothering with or is the standard ok really?

Anything else I should be looking out for in general?

oodles19 wrote: »
    Well lads, I've been following this thread (and others) and they've been hugely informative. I'm about to pull the trigger on an i3 94ah for the mother, there's a few knocking around in the UK that can be had for less than €22k all in and imported.

Mad_Lad's and others posts have been hugely informative, so thanks to all, I just have a few questions if anyone can help?

What should I be looking out for in relation to condition/battery life/REX health etc?

Does anyone have any experience with UK manufacturer approved warranty carrying over here? Can it be added to or service packs purchased in Ireland?

My Mam is in her 60's and not techy in the least, is the Pro Nav worth bothering with or is the standard ok really?

Where can you get a 94 Ah i3 Rex imported tax paid for 22 K Euro's ?

Post a few links.

The pro Nav is good it gives the full screen size where the standard looks really gammy because it's much smaller with plastic to fill up the rest of the space but to be honest that's my individual taste.

You'll get the standard single phase 32 amp cable that will connect to public charge point and home charge point, it also includes a portable EVSE ( charge point ) which will connect to a standard household 3 pin socket but charge times will greatly increase but handy if you go somewhere, bring a extension lead and ask BnB owner if you can charge from the shed or out the window.

The i3 ( 94 Ah only ) is capable of 3 phase charging on AC which means 2 hrs 30 mins from 10-90% or 2 ish hrs from 10-80% it's very convenient when away and there's an public AC 22 Kw charge point close by, faster AC charging means a lot less time spent at DC Fast chargers which are getting busier all the time, 11 Kw is greatly appreciated I can tell you !

Usual charge times are about 7 hrs at 16 amp home charge point to about 3.5 -4 hrs on 32 amp charge point but you'd usually have 20 odd % minimum before charging so charge times will be less.

However, BMW do not provide a 3 phase charge cable so you will have to buy one, get a 32 amp 3 phase charge lead however your Mother might not need to charge much away from home and might be quiet happy just to use the generator the odd time she might need a public charge but it's always nice to keep the battery topped up.

When the ESB start charging for electricity at the fast chargers later this year it might not work out much more expensive to use the generator but it will have all the benefits of not having to queue at chargers which the BEV owner will have to do, that is , pay to queue ! AC will be free for the foreseeable.

I do not know of any Rex related issues and I've used mine a fair bit over the last year and nearly 2 months, Rex issues were mainly related to early models but of course anything can happen. Mine has been very reliable no issues.

Battery life for the 94 Ah is unknown yet, but mine is almost 2 years 10 months old and has 44,188 Kms and showing 100% battery capacity so what it will be like in a few years is anyone's guess but it looks good so far.

The Samsung battery cells in the i3 have some pretty amazing figures related to cycle life , 3000 cycles to 80% would be about 500,000 kms and you still have 80% capacity with the Rex there to make up the shortfall if needed. It remains to be seen how it will last in real life.

The is also has an AC cooled battery which only the Model S has and it makes a big difference, the i3 can be charged all day long on the fast charger and it won't get too hot and it won't throttle charger power either increasing charge times, the Nissan Leaf 40 Kwh can cripple charging from 45 Kw to 20 Kw , the Zoe and Ioniq have fans with limitations, their fan cooling in certain circumstances is not good enough but a lot better than the Leaf.

I can't say about carrying over the warranty but if it's a BMW warranty it should be no problem to get work carried out over here.

Regarding the tech, timers , charge points can be quite confusing to people who are not technically minded but you can set up the app on your phone so that if your Mother gets confused with setting up the timer then you can do it for her over the internet or via the app.

The i3 timer has a charge immediately function which means as soon as the car is plugged in it will start charging, then an off peak function which charges on off peak electricity which is between 11 PM - 8 AM in Winter and Midnight to 9 Am in Summer when the clocks change that is if your Mother has or intends to get a dual Meter installed costs about 50 Euro extra a year but that's nothing compared to Diesel, I got that back in a week by not having to pay for Petrol/Diesel and dishwashers and washing machines also immersion in Summer can use the night time electricity, dryer etc.

So if you want to leave at am , set depart time to 8 am and off peak from 11 PM to 8 AM.

Next is pre condition , click this if you want the car warm at the set depart time, it will also warm up the battery if it's very cold which is handy for a long trip by the time you need a fast charge the battery will be warm enough to allow full charger power. The car must be plugged in and the timer set 4 hrs in advance to allow it to warm up or the battery will not preheat.

If someone has a predictable routine such as someone with a 9-5 job Mon - Fri then all you need to do is set timer for say, 8 am, off peak 11-8am and set the days, Mon, tues, Wed etc, click precondition and that's it. You can also set two timers say the usual one for charging at night and then just a precondition timer for the evening when coming out of work say 5 PM.

Apologies for the long post and if you're already aware of some of the functions. :D

The i3 is a fantastic car and a real nice place to sit in higher spec trims.

Where can you get a 94 Ah i3 Rex imported tax paid for 22 K Euro's ?

Post a few links.

The pro Nav is good it gives the full screen size where the standard looks really gammy because it's much smaller with plastic to fill up the rest of the space but to be honest that's my individual taste.

You'll get the standard single phase 32 amp cable that will connect to public charge point and home charge point, it also includes a portable EVSE ( charge point ) which will connect to a standard household 3 pin socket but charge times will greatly increase but handy if you go somewhere, bring a extension lead and ask BnB owner if you can charge from the shed or out the window.

The i3 ( 94 Ah only ) is capable of 3 phase charging on AC which means 2 hrs 30 mins from 10-90% or 2 ish hrs from 10-80% it's very convenient when away and there's an public AC 22 Kw charge point close by, faster AC charging means a lot less time spent at DC Fast chargers which are getting busier all the time, 11 Kw is greatly appreciated I can tell you !

Usual charge times are about 7 hrs at 16 amp home charge point to about 3.5 -4 hrs on 32 amp charge point but you'd usually have 20 odd % minimum before charging so charge times will be less.

However, BMW do not provide a 3 phase charge cable so you will have to buy one, get a 32 amp 3 phase charge lead however your Mother might not need to charge much away from home and might be quiet happy just to use the generator the odd time she might need a public charge but it's always nice to keep the battery topped up.

When the ESB start charging for electricity at the fast chargers later this year it might not work out much more expensive to use the generator but it will have all the benefits of not having to queue at chargers which the BEV owner will have to do, that is , pay to queue ! AC will be free for the foreseeable.

I do not know of any Rex related issues and I've used mine a fair bit over the last year and nearly 2 months, Rex issues were mainly related to early models but of course anything can happen. Mine has been very reliable no issues.

Battery life for the 94 Ah is unknown yet, but mine is almost 2 years 10 months old and has 44,188 Kms and showing 100% battery capacity so what it will be like in a few years is anyone's guess but it looks good so far.

The Samsung battery cells in the i3 have some pretty amazing figures related to cycle life , 3000 cycles to 80% would be about 500,000 kms and you still have 80% capacity with the Rex there to make up the shortfall if needed. It remains to be seen how it will last in real life.

The is also has an AC cooled battery which only the Model S has and it makes a big difference, the i3 can be charged all day long on the fast charger and it won't get too hot and it won't throttle charger power either increasing charge times, the Nissan Leaf 40 Kwh can cripple charging from 45 Kw to 20 Kw , the Zoe and Ioniq have fans with limitations, their fan cooling in certain circumstances is not good enough but a lot better than the Leaf.

I can't say about carrying over the warranty but if it's a BMW warranty it should be no problem to get work carried out over here.

Regarding the tech, timers , charge points can be quite confusing to people who are not technically minded but you can set up the app on your phone so that if your Mother gets confused with setting up the timer then you can do it for her over the internet or via the app.

The i3 timer has a charge immediately function which means as soon as the car is plugged in it will start charging, then an off peak function which charges on off peak electricity which is between 11 PM - 8 AM in Winter and Midnight to 9 Am in Summer when the clocks change that is if your Mother has or intends to get a dual Meter installed costs about 50 Euro extra a year but that's nothing compared to Diesel, I got that back in a week by not having to pay for Petrol/Diesel and dishwashers and washing machines also immersion in Summer can use the night time electricity, dryer etc.

So if you want to leave at am , set depart time to 8 am and off peak from 11 PM to 8 AM.

Next is pre condition , click this if you want the car warm at the set depart time, it will also warm up the battery if it's very cold which is handy for a long trip by the time you need a fast charge the battery will be warm enough to allow full charger power. The car must be plugged in and the timer set 4 hrs in advance to allow it to warm up or the battery will not preheat.

If someone has a predictable routine such as someone with a 9-5 job Mon - Fri then all you need to do is set timer for say, 8 am, off peak 11-8am and set the days, Mon, tues, Wed etc, click precondition and that's it. You can also set two timers say the usual one for charging at night and then just a precondition timer for the evening when coming out of work say 5 PM.

Apologies for the long post and if you're already aware of some of the functions. :D

The i3 is a fantastic car and a real nice place to sit in higher spec trims.

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to type all that out and post such a comprehensive reply!!

Here are a few cars that appear to get me in around the €22k mark with €1300/€1400 VRT which is what I'm getting from the Revenue calculator:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201812113165300?advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2016&postcode=ec1v9fr&model=I3&sort=price-asc&page=1&make=BMW&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201811272788420?advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2016&postcode=ec1v9fr&model=I3&sort=price-asc&page=1&make=BMW&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201811132388141?advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2016&postcode=ec1v9fr&model=I3&sort=price-asc&page=2&make=BMW&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201812223435139?advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2016&postcode=ec1v9fr&model=I3&sort=price-asc&page=2&make=BMW&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used

What would you recommend from those if you don't mind me asking? You mentioned spec trims, what should I be looking for in regards to that? The mother could stretch to €24k or maybe €25k for the right car, but I've been looking at base level cars for bang for your buck driving to date...

• Advertisement

To be honest, those cars have a decent spec, I'd try find one with the media professional which will have the better screen.

Any of those cars probably have all and more of the Equipment your Mother may ever use and the one she might appreciate more than anything is pre-heating, she'll love getting into a warm car and not having to defrost or defog the windscreen.

Look for the park assist which will parallel park the car automatically , if she's a person that struggles to parallel park it's quite fantastic but it is slow. I don't use it because I can park the car 10 times faster.

Some cars also have the Auto brake function and auto steer at slower speeds which might be handy on the M50, in traffic etc but you'd still need to be alert at all times not sure I would like this , I'd rather drive than always have to watch out for mistakes the car might make. Auto braking is convenient though and could save a rear end collision.

By the way, were you looking at i3 Rex or battery only ? all the ones in the links above do not have the Rex.

Oh, and to check the current battery capacity below is a ling to a hidden menu which shows how to do it, you're looking for " Batt. Kapa. Max. "

For the 94 Ah battery it should be around 29 Kwh , mine showed 29.5 when I got it and shows 29.5 still. This is the energy available out of 33 Kwh as it hides some, I do not know if this amount is different for the battery only i3 because the i3 hides the last 6.5% of usable energy available to keep the a buffer in the battery for full acceleration.

https://bmwi3owner.com/2016/01/secrets/

To be honest, those cars have a decent spec, I'd try find one with the media professional which will have the better screen.

Any of those cars probably have all and more of the Equipment your Mother may ever use and the one she might appreciate more than anything is pre-heating, she'll love getting into a warm car and not having to defrost or defog the windscreen.

Look for the park assist which will parallel park the car automatically , if she's a person that struggles to parallel park it's quite fantastic but it is slow. I don't use it because I can park the car 10 times faster.

Some cars also have the Auto brake function and auto steer at slower speeds which might be handy on the M50, in traffic etc but you'd still need to be alert at all times not sure I would like this , I'd rather drive than always have to watch out for mistakes the car might make. Auto braking is convenient though and could save a rear end collision.

By the way, were you looking at i3 Rex or battery only ? all the ones in the links above do not have the Rex.

Apologies, I was out for a few last night, obviously not on my copy and paste game! It's the Rex I'm after for her yes, so something like this: @ around €23k all in:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201811142416453?onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=ec1v9fr&year-from=2016&make=BMW&radius=1501&sort=price-asc&model=I3&page=2

We'll see what sterling will do the week after next if the Brexit deal doesn't go through, might still be able to get it at €22k, fingers crossed

Looks a good car alright , don't forget the cost of travel and accommodation + any petrol need to be included also which adds to the price.

It doesn't have LED lights and leather but got really everything else. LED lights cause a lot of glare and I get flashed a lot so much that I need to have the alignment checked when I get it in for service in a few weeks. But I can tell they cause a lot of glare because the car is pretty high and when you are behind some low down cars you can see some people flip their mirrors or some other idiots keep looking in the mirror getting p'eed off and turning on their fog lights and breaking because they think i have my high beams on, rather than just flip the mirror up they keep staring into it lol so yeah, need to get that checked.

Leather is an expensive option and led lights, think this would have added 6 or 7 K extra onto the cost new.

Cracking car alright for the money and great to drive and the backup of the Rex is just brilliant !

What's the VRT ? Think you'll be closer to 25K with travel costs included try haggle a bit on the price.

Remember the i3 is strictly a 4 seater.

Looks a good car alright , don't forget the cost of travel and accommodation + any petrol need to be included also which adds to the price.

It doesn't have LED lights and leather but got really everything else. LED lights cause a lot of glare and I get flashed a lot so much that I need to have the alignment checked when I get it in for service in a few weeks. But I can tell they cause a lot of glare because the car is pretty high and when you are behind some low down cars you can see some people flip their mirrors or some other idiots keep looking in the mirror getting p'eed off and turning on their fog lights and breaking because they think i have my high beams on, rather than just flip the mirror up they keep staring into it lol so yeah, need to get that checked.

Leather is an expensive option and led lights, think this would have added 6 or 7 K extra onto the cost new.

Cracking car alright for the money and great to drive and the backup of the Rex is just brilliant !

What's the VRT ? Think you'll be closer to 25K with travel costs included try haggle a bit on the price.

Remember the i3 is strictly a 4 seater.

Per the calculator VRT will be around €1300, I'll be getting an early morning flight over with Ryanair @ around €50, and a late ferry back at around €150, going to try and do it in the one day, as that was what I did when bringing my own car over and it worked fine.

I know they don't do haggling in the UK like they do here, but I'll definitely try to get something off as they won't be seeing me again!

The LED lights aren't a Biggie for the mother really, not leather, it's just for her to pootle about locally mainly, she does the very odd longer trip which is why I think the Rex is the better option!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Does anyone have any experience with UK manufacturer approved warranty carrying over here?

I had no problem using the 3 year UK warranty or 5 year UK service pack in Kearys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Apologies, I was out for a few last night, obviously not on my copy and paste game! It's the Rex I'm after for her yes, so something like this: @ around €23k all in:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201811142416453?onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=ec1v9fr&year-from=2016&make=BMW&radius=1501&sort=price-asc&model=I3&page=2

We'll see what sterling will do the week after next if the Brexit deal doesn't go through, might still be able to get it at €22k, fingers crossed

If they don't do a deal ,then you will need to pay VAT.

Don't forget the i3 which is a fantastic car is also a high-tech carbon car so your mum will have to know that any fender bender may be expensive and time consuming to fix.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

80sDiesel wrote: »

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201811142416453?onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=ec1v9fr&year-from=2016&make=BMW&radius=1501&sort=price-asc&model=I3&page=2

If The don't do a deal then you will need to pay VAT.

Don't forget the i3 which is a fantastic car is also a high-tech carbon car so your mum will have to know that any fender bender may be expensive I fix.

? I thought VAT was only liable on cars less than 6 months old and/or less than 6k km?

She's a safe enough driver, so I don't think there'll be any issue on the fender bender front hopefully!

? I thought VAT was only liable on cars less than 6 months old and/or less than 6k km?

She's a safe enough driver, so I don't think there'll be any issue on the fender bender front hopefully!

If they leave with no deal then they are considered a 3rd country so you would be liable to pay VAT. ( Just like if u r importing a car from the US)

From Revenue.

Customs Duty
    In the case of new or used vehicles imported from outside the EU, customs duty is chargeable at importation in the normal way.

When you register your vehicle, the NCTS will require proof of payment of the Customs Duty and VAT. Normally, this will be by way of the Customs Declaration, the Single Administrative Document (SAD).

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood you there, that's not a problem, I'll be importing it well before the end of March, so I'm actually hoping for Parliament to not vote for the deal so that sterling tanks a bit further.

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood you there, that's not a problem, I'll be importing it well before the end of March, so I'm actually hoping for Parliament to not vote for the deal so that sterling tanks a bit further.

Yep. Good strategy. They will vote it down initially .

• Advertisement

Yep. Good strategy. They will vote it down initially .

Looks like it, hopefully it'll knock a few pence off the €/£ rate, as long as May doesn't put it off again!

ANd good news for 2ND hand ev sales , 2ND hand values in Ireland should rocket after Brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Don't forget the i3 which is a fantastic car is also a high-tech carbon car so your mum will have to know that any fender bender may be expensive and time consuming to fix.

On that point the one posted doesn't have the read camera.

Oh, and to check the current battery capacity below is a ling to a hidden menu which shows how to do it, you're looking for " Batt. Kapa. Max. "

Finally got around to checking mine, 29.3kWh.

Finally got around to hanging up my summer wheels.

469725.jpg

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Finally got around to hanging up my summer wheels.

Lol, you might get to make use of the winter wheels a few days this Winter lol.

I like those wheels, mine are not so nice.

I was up at the doctor today and I was told I had tennis elbow. It is very painful I got to say but it is from too much laptop use. So a warning to everybody that use proper desks and use the laptop properly and not have it on your lap with your arms folded up to your chest. It is not always possible to do this especially at work when you don't have a desk to work at lot of the time and sometimes have to sit and stand for long periods of time which can be quite uncomfortable over 12 hour shifts.

So now I'm using voice dictation on my little Acer Google Chromebook now and it's working quite well with some minor corrections to some spellings but my left arm is very sore at the moment and I can't really move it too much my partner says "it's a pity it wasn't your mouth "haha

The Chromebook is small about 10-iNCH screen with keyboard which I much prefer to tablet because of tablet is uncomfortable to hold and it's impossible to type for any length of time so I take the Chromebook over full tablet any day they are just night and day why I have a powerful laptop it is quite heavy and the Chromebook does everything I need while on the go it it really is a fantastic device and all of this message was dictated to on this little Chromebook and I have to say I'm very impressed I'm so impressed I really don't want to shut up while I watch it type out haha.

So let this be a warning to all heavy laptop users not to use your laptop on your lap as much as possible get a proper desk proper keyboard and a proper Mouse and the same goes for tablet users as well the doctor said this is becoming a very very common problem.

Wrong thread?

Wrong thread?

Lol no just decided to post in the thread I posted the most in that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Wrong thread?

Maybe it has a REX. :D

• Advertisement

Lol no just decided to post in the thread I posted the most in that's all.

I have to say, I feel for you. Many years ago I was getting steroid injections in my elbow for this. It did bugger all good and hurt like hell. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Maybe a new car might help.

I have to say, I feel for you. Many years ago I was getting steroid injections in my elbow for this. It did bugger all good and hurt like hell. :D

Hurts alright , I was told my heart worse after the injection and I do start to feel more pain now or dear.

Maybe a new car might help.

I got two years to go on PCP so I don't know what I will do after looking likely at this stage that I will keep it for some time after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Too much "laptop use". I see. And this was only in one elbow yes? Too much indulgence of late?? :P

Finally got around to checking mine, 29.3kWh.

I missed this post, that's looking good I checked mine this morning and it was 29.6 Kwh.

How many km is on your i3?

ELM327 wrote: »
    Too much "laptop use". I see. And this was only in one elbow yes? Too much indulgence of late?? :P

Haha yeah only one arm luckily but if I continue as I am the other arm will most likely get affected sooner or later and that I don't think I could tolerate it is quite painful. It's not related to what you think it is haha.

I missed this post, that's looking good I checked mine this morning and it was 29.6 Kwh.

How many km is on your i3?

11k. It had very little use in its first 2 years so probably sat for long periods which wouldn't help.

11k. It had very little use in its first 2 years so probably sat for long periods which wouldn't help.

it looks perfectly fine to me as I say mine shows 29.6 which is roughly the same as what it was when I got it I would have to check back early in the tread it was 29.6 or 29.9 not sure either way it's quite good.

• Advertisement

Hurts alright , I was told my heart worse after the injection and I do start to feel more pain now or dear.

Well the drugs seem to be working. :D

Well the drugs seem to be working. :D

HAha good one missed that one lol :D

Correction , was supposed to say , " I was told it would hurt worse after the injection " :rolleyes:

I plugged in at around 18% in work tonight around 8:50pm, 3 phase AC 11 Kw now at 97% at 22:30, last few % take a good while. Probably got to 90% at about 10 PM.

I plugged in at around 18% in work tonight around 8:50pm, 3 phase AC 11 Kw now at 97% at 22:30, last few % take a good while. Probably got to 90% at about 10 PM.

Silly question Mad_Lad, would be answered by a quick Google no doubt, but I saw your post and thought I'd ask the expert! What's the cable situation to look out for? Most i3's come with a "granny" cable right? Is another cable required for public/fast charging? What would I be looking at to be set after a home charger installation?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Silly question Mad_Lad, would be answered by a quick Google no doubt, but I saw your post and thought I'd ask the expert! What's the cable situation to look out for? Most i3's come with a "granny" cable right? Is another cable required for public/fast charging? What would I be looking at to be set after a home charger installation?

Fast chargers have the cable attached to the charger itself. You don’t need a cable for that. The trick is to make sure the i3 your buying is fast charging capable as it was an option on some.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »

Fast chargers have the cable attached to the charger itself. You don’t need a cable for that. The trick is to make sure the i3 your buying is fast charging capable as it was an option on some.

I'll be getting a 162+, all 94ah Rex i3's from then are fast charging capable I think?

I'll be getting a 162+, all 94ah Rex i3's from then are fast charging capable I think?

I believe so, mine is anyway and it's a 162.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Think you're right but if you want to double check ask is the car DC ready (it'll have a 2nd small 2 prong plug below the main charging plug)

Also just to elaborate on Mad Lad above. Yes all i3s come with a granny cable (which you shouldn't really ever need to use). Instead make sure you're getting an AC cable as well - this wasn't standard with very car, but essential so most cars will have one. This is what you'll be charging with mostly- 90% of public chargers are AC. The fast DC chargers (also called CCS) will have their own cables, and connect with those 2 extra prongs a DC ready car will have. DC chargers are much rarer than AC ones, and mostly clustered on motorways.

I believe so, mine is anyway and it's a 162.

Yeah, I think they standardised it after moving to the 33kwh battery, I'm now trapped in a hell of sussing spec for the mother, I think the i3 94ah Rex is the perfect car for her needs, and there's real value in the UK at base spec, but if you want an extra or two it starts climbing quickly!

Patser wrote: »

Think you're right but if you want to double check ask is the car DC ready (it'll have a 2nd small 2 prong plug below the main charging plug)

Also just to elaborate on Mad Lad above. Yes all i3s come with a granny cable (which you shouldn't really ever need to use). Instead make sure you're getting an AC cable as well - this wasn't standard with very car, but essential so most cars will have one. This is what you'll be charging with mostly- 90% of public chargers are AC. The fast DC chargers (also called CCS) will have their own cables, and connect with those 2 extra prongs a DC ready car will have. DC chargers are much rarer than AC ones, and mostly clustered on motorways.

Ah! So the i3 can charge from AC and DC chargers? This is really an element I should have checked out in advance, the use case for the car being bought is mostly pootling about within range and back, but you never know. The AC cable wouldn't be standard then?

• Advertisement
Advertisement