Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guess what Mad_Lad got this time?

Comments

Neat looking cable.

You'll definitely appreciate 11 Kw AC , Can get from about 10 % to 90 % in about 2.5 hrs. :D

DrPhilG wrote: »
    @Mad_Lad my head is melting...

As the i3 veteran here, have you any thoughts?

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057933982/1/#post108761969

They're dual 22 Kw charge points to the best of my knowledge , I know there was a debate about this before but the ESB advertise them as being 22 Kw x 2 on the map which makes sense, 22 KW charge point , they're dual charge points if you want to look at it like that.

There are some 3 Kw x 2 around, Arklow has a few and Galway that I noticed which are marked as 22 kw on the map and Ecars won't acknowledge it because it says 22 Kw on the map lol.

Some 7 Kw maybe I don't know. Leaf spy was handy because I could see exactly what was being consumed from the mains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Mad_Lad how much would you add per hour on the 11kw speed?

I figured it would be around 40%. I've been plugged into a 22kw post in Derry for half an hour and according to the app I've only added 13% which would be in line with 7kw speed.

Car problem, charger problem or cable problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I figured it would be around 40%. I've been plugged into a 22kw post in Derry for half an hour and according to the app I've only added 13% which would be in line with 7kw speed.

13% sounds about right.

11kW for 30mins is 5.5kWh's and subtract another 10% for efficiency gives you a net 5kWh roughly to the battery.

5kWh into a 33kWh battery is about 15%

Not sure per 30 mins but it can get from around 10-90% in 2.5 hrs, so lets see if I can work that out quickly.

That's about 80% in 2.5 hrs or about 32% per hour or 16% per 30 mins which sounds ok to me.

80% in 2.5 hrs isn't bad at all mate..... Imaging a 3.5 kw Leaf or 6.6 Kw. ? :D

So I started at 6:40pm with 25%.

At 7:40pm I was at 51%

At 8:20pm when I came back to the car I has 77%.

Is the charging curve not linear maybe? I added 26% in the first hour and another 26% in the next 40 minutes.

Also when I swiped my card to end the charge it said I had taken 17.83kw.

Last week on the old single phase cable I added around 40% in the same time frame so I expected about 60% on 3 phase.

Last week on the old single phase cable I added around 40% in the same time frame so I expected about 60% on 3 phase.

It charges at 11kW so thats 33% per hour roughly since you have a 33kWh battery.

Not a chance you would get 60% in an hour.... thats a rate of 20kW!

The SoC readout must be non-linear based on what you are saying.

KCross wrote: »
    It charges at 11kW so thats 33% per hour roughly since you have a 33kWh battery.

It's only about 28kwh usable though.
    Not a chance you would get 60% in an hour.... thats a rate of 20kW!

I was referring to a time frame of just under 2 hours, not per hour. Last week on a single phase cable I added about 40% in a little under 2 hours. In a similar time frame tonight (1hr 50m) I added 52% when I expected around 60%.

The car has about 28.9 Kwh usable, I'm not sure if that includes the 6% reserve for the Rex.

But in my opinion, 10-90% in 2.5 hrs is pretty damn good, better than 6.6-7 Kw for sure.

The last part of the charge will slow down as normal. possibly from around 90 odd % but there's nothing like Leafspy for the i3 so I can't confirm anything about anything in the i3 lol. I miss energy monitors, even to see regen or heater consumption.

Speaking of regen, the i3 33 Kwh is different in the way it applies regen compared to the 22 Kwh, when you lift off at speed it does not apply full regen until after several seconds, this was done to provide a more "ICE" like experience on the mororway.

At slower speeds it regens as normal.

• Advertisement

So I started at 6:40pm with 25%.

At 7:40pm I was at 51%

At 8:20pm when I came back to the car I has 77%.

Is the charging curve not linear maybe? I added 26% in the first hour and another 26% in the next 40 minutes.

Also when I swiped my card to end the charge it said I had taken 17.83kw.

So, 1h40mins gave you 52% of 28kWh --> 15kWh to the battery.

Working that out.... 100mins @ 11kW = 18.3kWh (before losses). The charger said 17.83kWh so thats about right.

With losses thats about 16.5kWh to the battery which is 57% of the usable capacity. The car said 52%

So it's in the right ballpark although you would have expected a tad more alright. Non-linear readout, margin of error etc would account for that.

I'd say it did what it was meant to do by those figures.

I had to go into town again and plugged in at 38% and 1 hr later got to 73.5%.

I'm pretty happy with that 11 Kw charger, it's definitely very useful !

You can see the start and finish times, the finish time is a few mins after plugging out.

DCl9C3e.png?2

0XCdQoH.png?2

Here’s a post made some time ago about charging at 11 kw.

We drove to Galway today, stopped in Ballinasloe , the generator kicked in about 2 kms from the charger, and just about then I noticed a Leaf 40 Kwh up my ass , at one point it looked like he put the boot down and moved out as if to over take me but I put the boot down, he knew I was aware he was behind me, there's no way I was letting him get to the charger first. hahaha, nice for a change to be the first in a queue.

We went into get some food and when I got back out I saw an Ioniq waiting so I checked the charge in the car and at 75% I plugged out and let the leaf in, being the good person I am lol, I let many people in to charge when I had enough. We got to Galway city with about 30 %.

I had thought about charging the car later at the fast charger as there are no AC points near me but I said I will charge in the morning but might not bother and use the Rex to Ballinasloe and charge up there, the risk is if someone is charging but either way I can continue on the Rex. It's a great thing to have as a backup. The Leaf driver said it's the last time he's taking the Leaf on such a long drive, I think they came from Dublin. The Ioniq driver too I think. They were both frustrated with the disgraceful charging network.

Hopefully by the time I change the i3 that the network will have greatly improved but I said that when I got the leaf in 2015. It didn't happen.

Oh and some good news about the i3, BMW confirmed or as good as that the i3 will live on after 2020, a 250-300 HP version would be amazing.

On the other hand I can always keep the i3, I forge what the balloon is at the end, I must check the paperwork.

I just checked today and battery capacity is the same as the day I picked it up. So after a total of 1 year 9 months the car is doing really good, I can't say the same for the Leaf which would be showing a few % at this stage but it was always showing +- 3-7% difference from one week to the next but the general trend was down.

The 33 Kwh has the cells that quote something like 3,200 cycle life to 80% which is incredible , the proof of course is in the pudding but current indications are good.

I put new tyres on the rear after 41,000 kms, I notice a decent bit of extra grip, the old tyres were at the limit.

Grip compared to the 40 Kwh Leaf is amazing in the wet, I am not sure I could live with the Leaf with the grip in the wet being so poor, what it would be like with better wet tyres I don't know but I would be very frustrated with it on those stock tyres.

I still love every minute in the i3, would I like the S version ? I don't know the ride and handling are great for Irish roads, you can certainly push it on and it's decently comfortable, get into the Outlander and I want to cry, turbo lag, fumbling for gears , sloppy handling and poor steering feedback make driving a lot of other cars frustrating. But the Outlander is a different beast good for it's intended purpose.

Would I get another i3 ? I really don't know, I think I'd rather put the money into keeping the existing i3, BMW haven't really developed it much beyond the 2014 model, due to uncertainty about it's future, same power with a little upgrade for the S model, I would like more power options, 250+ HP would be a healthy upgrade but I doubt one would be available by the time I'm due to change.

I'm not sure another EV would float my boat, the ix3 looks like it will be impressive with impressive power options, option of 4wd etc but the cost would be high and it won't be available 2nd hand, perhaps I could keep the i3 another year or two or just keep it.

The i3 is a very good and very under rated car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

These are some quotes from the article posted int he link in the post above.

This newer car also offers the REX facility, but it does rather take the gloss off the ‘green-ness’ of the thing. All it really did was make having what was essentially an electric city car work for people who want to travel outside the city occasionally.

Takes the gloss of green how ? it's vastly more eco friendly than a petrol or diesel and a regular hybrid......

I am sure that nearly 200 km is achievable in this car if you drive around at 10kph all of the time and on varying roads — local lanes, city streets, city by-passes, motorways and so forth. We know this to be impracticable — and probably very dangerous — so realistically the claimed range is a pipe-dream.

200 Kms at motorway speed , no but I've got as high as 230 Kms from older national routes , not at the 10 Km/h speed he claimed.......

And, from a safety point of view, when you do take your foot off the accelerator, there are also no brake lights either and this can be very dodgy if the person behind you isn’t fully paying attention.

how did the dumbass establish this ? did he get someone to drive it and brake to see if brake lights come on, or did he drivie it at night and look int he rear view mirror ? yes the brake lights come on in the i3 when it detects a certain level of regen, this guy is an idiot, journalists are supposed to research the facts, this person did not, clearly !!!

Despite my fears about not being able to make the trip successfully, I was consoled by the fact that BMW provide you with a couple of helpful tools to help you stretch the mileage.

Yeah the first great tool is called the Rex.........

Then, after 12 hours (with the three pin plug option) regenerating, I had an indicated 195 km for the return trip.

is this a deliberate attempt to persuade people that the i3 takes 12 hrs to charge ? he could have explained that the car takes about 30 mins to charge on a DC fast charger, 4.5 hrs on 7 Kw AC and 8.8 hrs on 3.5 Kw AC or roughly 3 hrs on 11 Kw DC, these are to 100% 90% is a lot faster particularly on 3 phase 11 Kw AC. Again, poor research or deliberately setting out to give people the wrong information

But no, it still took another multiple of hours to get the thing back up to full capacity. I’m reluctant to say how many in case the landlord ups the rent.

Yeah on your extension lead with a portable EVSE not charging nearly at full potential, muppet !!!

And it is a classic of design too, but it is still limited in terms of its real capabilities — and expensive.

The Rex is not limited, it can travel as long as there is petrol in the tank. Again, he does not mention this, but as a journalist it's his job to report to research the facts and report them but too many so called Journalists today do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Thought you'd be the best to give a comprehensive reply, well put.
    You might even convince me to consider such a hybrid.

In the article he also mentioned living in the country, well, so do I and I have a 172 Km commute , yes, I have work charging but if I didn't I can still make my commute and back on 1 charge at decent speeds compared to the 24 Kwh Leaf that was very very difficult and meant taking the back road home at 60-80 Km/h. I have to put back 3-6 Kwh of energy into the i3 in Winter if I really drive it hard but for 20-40 odd cent for electricity who cares ? it still costs me a lot less to run than the leaf in regard to making my commute with work charging.

I should also add that the 230 Kms I got was in Warmer Summer weather.

The i3 has a very useful feature which I use a lot and that's the ability to keep the heating on when nipping in to a shop, I think it keeps the heat on for 20 odd mins. Very useful but does help to use more battery. I use this rather great feature quite a lot. But if you though you could need more range you wouldn't use it but it's a great feature to have all the same.

i3 is a great car, for Me I should add, it's up to each person to make their own minds up. Take it for a day or two, go to frank kean on Naas road, they should let you have one for a few days.

I just checked today and battery capacity is the same as the day I picked it up.

How do you check that? I read there was a way to access a service menu but it was only in the BEV.

I put new tyres on the rear after 41,000 kms, I notice a decent bit of extra grip, the old tyres were at the limit.

My tyres only had 4500km on them when I got the car so I'll be fine for a while yet.

Also I'm picking up a set of spare wheels with winter tyres next week. Big outlay but will hold their value in the long run.

How do you check that? I read there was a way to access a service menu but it was only in the BEV.

https://bmwi3owner.com/2016/01/secrets/

Works in the Rex too. ;)

My tyres only had 4500km on them when I got the car so I'll be fine for a while yet.

Also I'm picking up a set of spare wheels with winter tyres next week. Big outlay but will hold their value in the long run.

I was considering winter tyres but couldn't actually find them, Winter is a bad time to buy Winter tyres. lol.

Looks like this Winter could be a mild one but you never know what will happen for the rest of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Water John wrote: »

As well as Mad_Lads comments, the newer car does not offer the REX.
    Judging by the references to 200km range this appears to be a review of the older 94aH i3s which is no longer available new.
    I'm also pretty sure EcoPro+ doesn't turn the radio off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I've not read the thread but has anyone let Mad_Lad know the licence plate is viable in the first picture to anyone who's not legally blind :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

I actually did mention to MOH that I’d consider replacing the L30 with an i3 REX as an exercise and of course I got shot down :)

@Mad_Lad have you given your i3 start up screen the seasonal treatment?

https://youtu.be/P0IVSo2yDvk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Would the wider tires on the S version negate the need for winter tires ?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

tuxy wrote: »
    I've not read the thread but has anyone let Mad_Lad know the licence plate is viable in the first picture to anyone who's not legally blind :P

lol ah sure depends what the screen brightness is I suppose. :D

• Advertisement

dloob wrote: »
    As well as Mad_Lads comments, the newer car does not offer the REX.
    Judging by the references to 200km range this appears to be a review of the older 94aH i3s which is no longer available new.
    I'm also pretty sure EcoPro+ doesn't turn the radio off.

I think the Rex is still available with the 44 Kwh in the U.S.

BMW need to re-think this because 44 Kwh still is not enough, if I look at the trip to Galway.

On the way down got to Ballinasloe from Carlow, the Rex turned on for the last 2 kms. Charged up to only 75% to let the leaf driver in, got to Galway with about 28%. There was no AC point near the Jury's that was a reasonable distance away or practical.

On the way home, got to the charger at Glynns, charged to about 50% the battery was not very warm, about 14 degrees so would not take the full charge rate, it probably would have been cooler if it had been outside and not in the multistory car park, it was well sheltered, we then headed to Ballinasloe and charged to 83% from 5% in 30 mins, at the start of that charge the battery was plenty warm and allowed full charge.

Leaving from home the battery was preheated to 10 Deg C and then by the time we got to ballinasloe it was plenty warm but unfortunately when you can't plug into the mains you get a cold battery and that effects charging, this is down to the battery itself and not the charger receiving a signal from the cars BMS saying (I'm too cold please give me only XX Kw ) it's got nothing to do with the charger or the BMS the battery simply is unable to accept more than xx Kw at XX temperature and it's as simple as that. The internal resistance of the battery increases as the temperature drops which restricts the flow of current.

Then on the way from ballinasloe to Kilbeggan I used the Rex on the Motorway at 120 Kmh with some 130 Km/h stints , we turned off heading back for Carlow which I then used battery the rest of the way.

I got home with about 8%.

Considering the i3 will have a big hole where the Rex is BMW should offer the Rex as an option, buyers choice, what the hell are they thinking ?

The other real issue is that as far as I am aware, BMW still do not allow more than 50 Kw charging which is a limitation despite whether there are many 50+ Kw chargers we do know that they are not that far away, it's likely the ESB will be installing newer 50 Kw chargers when they finally start installing chargers again after nearly 3+ years.....

We're not at the point where you could say that 40 Kwh eliminates the need for the wonderful Rex, if they can fit the 42 Kwh into the same space and there is an empty space for the Rex why not give people the option ? it makes absolutely no sense.

Having lived with the Leaf for 3 years and the i3 for just over a year I can say that it would be very , very hard to part with the Rex ! The trips to the West would have to be stopped and the Outlander taken which is no big deal really but I would rather drive the i3.

It leaves me thinking that I will have to keep the 33 kwh Rex when my Lease is up in 2 years.

Could I go back to a Leaf ? 60 Kwh, front wheel drive with very poor grip on damp and wet roads ? 100 Kw charging ? I honestly don't know........

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Would the wider tires on the S version negate the need for winter tires ?

Not at all, the same as it doesn't for normal tyres.

When the temps drop or there is snow proper winter tyres are just magic altogether, I drove on them before when I had the vans driving around Wicklow, the difference was the ability to drive or not on snow and ice.

I was thinking about getting proper snow tyres for the i3 but glad I didn't because it looks like it's going to be a mild winter but you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Could I go back to a Leaf ? 60 Kwh, front wheel drive with very poor grip on damp and wet roads ? 100 Kw charging ? I honestly don't know........
    The leaf will not have 100kW charging as the max per current chademo 1 is 62.5kW. And that's with 500v which the leaf will not have.

You couldn't go back to a leaf after owning an i3, it's not in the same league. Leaf and Ioniq are eco boxes, i3 is from a premium segment.

@Mad_Lad have you given your i3 start up screen the seasonal treatment?

https://youtu.be/P0IVSo2yDvk

lol No, never did that, didn't know I could. :D

Pretty cool !

How much worse would the 60Amh i3 Rex be compared to your 94Amh, Mad_Lad?
    One poster said he’d do around 125km on leccy only and then the REX kicks in

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    The leaf will not have 100kW charging as the max per current chademo 1 is 62.5kW. And that's with 500v which the leaf will not have.

You couldn't go back to a leaf after owning an i3, it's not in the same league. Leaf and Ioniq are eco boxes, i3 is from a premium segment.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/12/05/60-kwh-nissan-leaf-still-no-liquid-cooled-battery/

According to the above the 60 Kwh won't be liquid cooled at all but air cooled which is seemingly alarming some people but the Ioniq is air cooled.

Leaf 60 also charges just under 100 Kw but yes, the idiots won't budge from ChaDeMo, it's sad really. Imaging 60 Kwh leafs at 45 Kw stuck to the new 100+ Kw chargers ? I hope the ESB really do charge per time and not Kwh.....

If the 60 Kwh has air cooling and the internal resistance is lower than it can easily take a larger current without much issue.

Power has been increased to 200 Hp which is healthy but again front wheel drive, to me that's a no no. Perhaps with better tyres but the i3 has eco tyres also with B for fuel and B for wet and it's got tonnes of grip even in the wet, yes it throttles on take off , sadly, but it still has tonnes more grip than the 150 Hp Leaf so I couldn't imagine 200 Hp with no form of power to the rear wheels.

It would indeed be hard to go back to the Leaf, perhaps the ix3 due for release in 2019 might be a decent price in a year or two after release.

So yeah, I could see myself with the i3 for a while to come, that's not a bad thing really. It's a great car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Poor grip can most likely be made a lot better by a change of tyres

100kW CHAdeMO charging? Probably never in Ireland. But hopefully Nissan will have switched to CCS by then, like everyone else.

peposhi wrote: »
    How much worse would the 60Amh i3 Rex be compared to your 94Amh, Mad_Lad?
    One poster said he’d do around 125km on leccy only and then the REX kicks in

Depends on how much the battery has degraded, probably somewhere between 100 and 120 Kms maybe this time of year and a bit more in Summer. But the rex is handy to have so it's not a huge issue.

The 60 ah also charges slower than the 33 Kwh, the 33 kwh gets more Kwh into the battery in the same time, but again, if you have the Rex it's not a massive issue as probably most of your charging will be done at home or work anyway same as myself so if I burn a few litres of petrol now and then it's no big deal. Better to have the Rex than want it that's for sure.

We're not at the point where you could say that 40 Kwh eliminates the need for the wonderful Rex, if they can fit the 42 Kwh into the same space and there is an empty space for the Rex why not give people the option ? it makes absolutely no sense.

Did they announce that they were stopping Rex everywhere or just europe?

Maybe they have exceeded a weight threshold with the higher capacity battery and removing the Rex is the solution.

The bigger battery might fit in the same space but it might be heavier.... maybe?

unkel wrote: »
    Poor grip can most likely be made a lot better by a change of tyres

100kW CHAdeMO charging? Probably never in Ireland. But hopefully Nissan will have switched to CCS by then, like everyone else.

Yes it can but as I experienced with the old Leaf it's still far from perfect even on A rated wet tyres, what I then noticed was less grip in the dry.....

Seemingly Nissan are not changing to CCS at least not yet despite Kia changing the Soul to CCS if they haven't already done it, it's got a battery upgrade I think not sure , didn't read up too much on it.

Nissan just can't/refuse to do things right.

Did they announce that they were stopping Rex everywhere or just europe?

Maybe they have exceeded a weight threshold with the higher capacity battery and removing the Rex is the solution.

The bigger battery might fit in the same space but it might be heavier.... maybe?

Doubt weight has anything to do with it, I've read where rex will still be an option in the U.S.

I find it most ridiculous that if there's a market for the Rex then why not offer it ?

Yes it can but as I experienced with the old Leaf it's still far from perfect even on A rated wet tyres, what I then noticed was less grip in the dry.....

Seemingly Nissan are not changing to CCS at least not yet despite Kia changing the Soul to CCS if they haven't already done it, it's got a battery upgrade I think not sure , didn't read up too much on it.

Nissan just can't/refuse to do things right.
    New soul is out in 2019/20 with the same drivetrains as Kona and e-Niro. Same 39/64kWh battery options too, and CCS DC charging.

I'm sat in my local BMW now getting winter wheels on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Doubt weight has anything to do with it, I've read where rex will still be an option in the U.S.

I find it most ridiculous that if there's a market for the Rex then why not offer it ?

Rumours that it’s due to the new WLTP testing.
    REX engine would have required overhaul to reach required standard.

What's the WLTP got to do with it ?

• Advertisement

What's the WLTP got to do with it ?
    They changed the requirements and the way emissions are measured(see recent price increases)

This impacts PHEV the most as the previous tests favoured phev cars.

I prefer the TBTP anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

ELM327 wrote: »
    They changed the requirements and the way emissions are measured(see recent price increases)

This impacts PHEV the most as the previous tests favoured phev cars.

I prefer the TBTP anyway :D

Having read up a bit on WLTP test methods, methinks that its more likely that the Rex version is being withdrawn from Europe mainly for marketing reasons. Think about it - if you own a 120ah Rex with, say (280km on battery and 120km on generator) 400km total, where's the incentive to fork out for the new small BMW ev in a few years time if if BMW can only offer a 400-500km range model? By that time you will have already figured out that the i3 range is more than enough and that the rex is genuinely handy in dealing with overcrowded charge points.

pdpmur wrote: »
    Having read up a bit on WLTP test methods, methinks that its more likely that the Rex version is being withdrawn from Europe mainly for marketing reasons. Think about it - if you own a 120ah Rex with, say (280km on battery and 120km on generator) 400km total, where's the incentive to fork out for the new small BMW ev in a few years time if if BMW can only offer a 400-500km range model? By that time you will have already figured out that the i3 range is more than enough and that the rex is genuinely handy in dealing with overcrowded charge points.

Rex isn't just about extending range , it's essential given the state of the DC charging network, the 3 phase AC helps a lot though in that department but there are times the AC points are not convenient to use or too far from where you have to stay when away from home.

280 kms with 42 Kwh , maybe 38 usable, would be a bit of a stretch, possibly off the motorway in Summer but not in Winter and not on the motorway
    at mtorway speeds.

50 Kw charging is still a limitation, the 22 Kwh back in 2014 charges at 50 Kw but it ramps down a lot faster compared to the 33 Kwh but still, the 44 Kwh should be able to charge at at least 70-80 Kw with a liquid cooled battery.

I know we don't have any more than 45 Kw chargers but they are not that far away. There's a very good chance the next batch of chargers the ESB install later in 2019 will be 100 Kw maybe more.

Na, I think I'd have to give the i3 a miss next time around unless there's some improvement in battery capacity and charging power.

When I was charging in Ballinasloe on Sunday, I Guarantee the Ioniq driver who had to wait for me and then the Leaf to charge would have given anything for a Rex, I mean come on, who the hell wouldn't ? he was might p1ssed off with the charging network that's for sure. who fancies waiting for two cars to charge with a possible 1 hr 30 min wait including charging their own car ? exactly, no one.

The issue with the BEV is that it's cheaper and yes , 42 Kwh is better than 22 Kwh as in the original but the cost is probably what push more people to choose the BEV only and then they have to make it work or take another car with the Rex you don't it's a go anywhere, any time car regardless of battery charge, it just makes life so much easier.

Yes it's true, most of my driving is done on battery and the Rex is not needed much but I'm bloody damn glad to have it !

42 Kwh and 100 Kw charging and loads of chargers, now that's a different story !

Depends on how much the battery has degraded, probably somewhere between 100 and 120 Kms maybe this time of year and a bit more in Summer. But the rex is handy to have so it's not a huge issue.

The 60 ah also charges slower than the 33 Kwh, the 33 kwh gets more Kwh into the battery in the same time, but again, if you have the Rex it's not a massive issue as probably most of your charging will be done at home or work anyway same as myself so if I burn a few litres of petrol now and then it's no big deal. Better to have the Rex than want it that's for sure.

With the amount of Leafs sold every month I am getting worried of overcrowded CPs. It has not affected me so much yet (perhaps I’ve been lucky) but what guarantees the same in near future...
    Don’t need the range every day. Most days I’m back home with 50% battery. But when I go to Dublin or the airport I’d have to charge...
    Perhaps I just want something different too. Always loved the i3, but it was not affordable for me. Wanted one back in Feb when we changed my wife’s car, but it would have meant all savings wiped, literally if I had gone for an REx instead of the Leaf...
    Now we’ve settled a bit so I may stretch (not!!!, she said)the budget again :)

With the amount of Leafs sold every month I am getting worried of overcrowded CPs. It has not affected me so much yet (perhaps I’ve been lucky) but what guarantees the same in near future...
    Don’t need the range every day. Most days I’m back home with 50% battery. But when I go to Dublin or the airport I’d have to charge...
    Perhaps I just want something different too. Always loved the i3, but it was not affordable for me. Wanted one back in Feb when we changed my wife’s car, but it would have meant all savings wiped, literally if I had gone for an REx instead of the Leaf...
    Now we’ve settled a bit so I may stretch (not!!!, she said)the budget again :)

I may stretch (not!!!, she said)the budget again :)

You're joking ? haha, put your foot down !

The ESB plan 100 x 150 Kw chargers I just read , with the Government funding + upgrading existing chargers , in what time frame I don't know. That would make a real difference.

In the meantime, Rex is really excellent especially if you stay somewhere over night and can't charge or preheat the battery and it's cold so charging will be a lot slower and that might not go down too well with the family. It's something to be aware of in any EV which you already are or course.

It's when you're away from home that the public Network becomes essential that's why I believe that even with 40 Kwh , eliminating the Rex is a mistake , it's not BMW engineers that have to endure the poor network or slower charging of a cold battery.

Rex eliminates Queuing at chargers.

Rex eliminates the frustration of broken chargers.

Rex allows you to continue if you don't want to stop to charge.

Rex allows you to maintain the charge in your battery much much longer handy for Motorway trips.

Rex eliminates the slower charging of a cold battery.

Rex allows driving anywhere any time as long as you got petrol in the tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

I've probably asked this before but whats your maximum range (summer/winter) with both KW and REX near empty?

ewj1978 wrote: »
    I've probably asked this before but whats your maximum range (summer/winter) with both KW and REX near empty?

Do you mean what would I get on battery + Rex together ?

I may stretch (not!!!, she said)the budget again :)

You're joking ? haha, put your foot down !

The ESB plan 100 x 150 Kw chargers I just read , with the Government funding + upgrading existing chargers , in what time frame I don't know. That would make a real difference.

In the meantime, Rex is really excellent especially if you stay somewhere over night and can't charge or preheat the battery and it's cold so charging will be a lot slower and that might not go down too well with the family. It's something to be aware of in any EV which you already are or course.

It's when you're away from home that the public Network becomes essential that's why I believe that even with 40 Kwh , eliminating the Rex is a mistake , it's not BMW engineers that have to endure the poor network or slower charging of a cold battery.

Rex eliminates Queuing at chargers.

Rex eliminates the frustration of broken chargers.

Rex allows you to continue if you don't want to stop to charge.

Rex allows you to maintain the charge in your battery much much longer handy for Motorway trips.

Rex eliminates the slower charging of a cold battery.

Rex allows driving anywhere any time as long as you got petrol in the tank.

Yup... Now how do I write all this with capital letters on the walls at home without being killed :)

Yup... Now how do I write all this with capital letters on the walls at home without being killed :)

Ah grow some balls and Man up ! :D don't let a Woman dictate to you she's not your Mother and you don't want to live with a mammy do you ? so many Women think and act like their men's Mothers !

If you're managing the bills and food on the table you're entitled to spend some money, if she doesn't like it, tell her where the door is, or has she convinced you you'd be the one going if things went sour ? lol :D

• Advertisement

Ah grow some balls and Man up ! :D don't let a Woman dictate to you she's not your Mother and you don't want to live with a mammy do you ? so many Women think and act like their men's Mothers !

If you're managing the bills and food on the table you're entitled to spend some money, if she doesn't like it, tell her where the door is, or has she convinced you you'd be the one going if things went sour ? lol :D

LOL‚ What was your OH driving one more time :) ?!?

Advertisement