Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD & HDD no longer showing

Options
  • 22-11-2017 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently installed a NVME 500gb along with a PCIe SATA expansion an old 500g HDD and a 2TB HDD drive I removed a few days ago. I needed my optical drive and I was out of SATA ports and power so I had to improvise.

I calculated my power consumption and I have about 150w to spare.

Before I installed the NVME my storage was as follows.

SSD:
    120GB OS
    250GB
    500GB

HDD:
    2TB
    1TB

After installing the NVME and PCIe card my storage has changed to this;

SSD:
    120GB OS
    250GB
    500GB (no longer showing)

HDD
    2TB (runs from PCIe SATA card)
    1TB (runs from PCIe SATA card)
    500GB (not showing)

NVME
    500GB

I have removed the older 500GB HDD and optical drive, but the 500GB SSD is still not showing, I have changed the SATA cable ports and power supply ports just in case, and still nothing. These drives were registered in diskmgmt.msc and I didn't make any changes before troubleshooting.

I'm at a complete loss as to why the 500GB SSD is not showing. Any ideas? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

PCIe cards and M.2 cards can share the same bandwidth as on board sata ports. On some boards installing M.2 drives disables certain sata ports (up to 2 afaik).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

PCIe cards and M.2 cards can share the same bandwidth as on board sata ports. On some boards installing M.2 drives disables certain sata ports (up to 2 afaik).

Yea I read that too, it can disable specific SATA ports (forget the name of them), but I added the 2 missing hard drives to the new PCIe expansion card and it still didn't pick it up. There's 4 slots on that card and 2 slots are picking up the 1TB and 2TB HDDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Assuming the old thread is the correct mobo:
    Intel® Z97 Express Chipset
    • 6 x SATA 6Gb/s ports (2 x ports reserved for SATA Express port)*
    - SATA1~6 support RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5 and RAID 10
    • 1 x SATA Express port*
    • 1 x M.2 Key M Socket supports type 2280/2260/2242 storage devices in both PCIE Gen2 x2 & SATA mode**
    - M.2 port supports 4.2cm/ 6cm/ 8cm length module
    - M.2 PCIe interface does not support RAID 0, RAID1, RAID 5 and RAID 10.
    • Supports Intel® Smart Response Technology, Intel® Rapid Start Technology and Intel® Smart Connect Technology***
    * The SATA Express port or SATA5 and SATA6 ports will be unavailable when installing a module in the M.2 port.
    ** Intel RST does not support PCIe M.2 SSD with Legacy ROM.
    *** Supports Intel Core processors on Windows 7 and Windows 8/ 8.

So two ports are knocked for the M.2. But as to why they dont enumerate on the extra controller, you need to diagnose with it.

Do HBAs allow a boot UI like RAID controllers? Which did you buy?

Advertisement