Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being charged tax for my old job

Options
  • 22-11-2017 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So I finished my employment at my old job on the 31st of October. I gave 1 month noticed. I started my new job on the 1st of November. I've been since asking form my P45 and still haven't got it. Today I received my first payslip for my current job and to my surprise I'm paying taxes for my old job and my current job! I've checked revenue and it appears as I was still working for my previous employer. I contacted my previous employer and he said he forgot to submit the p45 and to tell revenue I wasn't working for them anymore!!my question is, so what now? am I supposed to pay all that tax for an amount of money I'm not going to be earning? can I get that sorted before I get paid? if I pay that amount of tax, will I get tax back next month? Thank you!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Register your new employer on MyAccount now and request a P21 balancing statement in January. If you’ve overpaid on tax you’ll get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cnieves

Yeah, my new job is already on My Account. So if I understand right I'll have to wait until January and submit a p21 to get the tax back? I suppose at least that's something. Thank you for the quick response!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Insist on getting your P45...get your new employer to register you with the details on that and they should rectify the position via payroll (ie you paying no or little tax between now and the year end).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭scheister

if both jobs are on my accounts as active you are likely to be on W1M1 basis as well rather then normal so you wont get the back tax till 2018. P45 from old employer is way to go. Once that is sent to Revenue give them a call to make sure all all credits go to new job that way if tax was overpaid will be fixed this year.

If it drags out to next year it is more likely March/April before you see the refund. reason is they wont issue the P21 till P35 are filed in February

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

On my account you can send an email informing them of the date you ceased employment and to date you have been refused your P45.

• Advertisement
Advertisement