Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre self build costs

Options
  • 22-11-2017 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all, new to all this and new to self building.

I hope I'm on the right forum, if not mods could you please move me to right one please.

From what I always imagined in order to build a new house was to save a deposit to obtain a mortgage, apply for planning permission and start building once pp was granted. However, there are so many extra hidden costs as well as saving for a deposit or "contingency fund of 10%" there seems to be fees for architect such as plans designed and drawn up, having to buy or rent scaffolding etc, etc.

My question is as follows - realistically how much should you need to save or what figures/money needs to be spent before a spade is dug into the ground apart from a deposit/ contingency fund? And to add to this question - what needs to be paid for before mortgage approved/commencement of self build?

I appreciate any views/ information big or small it will all add to my current minimal knowledge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

I'd definitely try save as much as you could before building. Let's say you need 300k for house build, I'd try aim to save in the 50k region. Allow 10% contingency plus extra for unknowns and additional cost overruns which generally always happen during new builds.

Some costs you'll pay before putting a spade jn the ground would include the following;

1.) Architect fees for doing planning drawings. This would generally include doing a level survey of the site, plans and elevations, lodgement of planning application and notice in paper. The overall cost of build should be considered at this stage to determine style, house size and type, spec/standard which can be designed to suit your budget. The cost of this varies from architect to architect but could be in region of 2500euro but could be more.
    2.) You may have to do percolation tests on the site for planning, could cost approx 1000euro
    3.) A preliminary BER assessment would be required before building the house, which would generally be at planning stage. Approx cost 150-250euro. Your architect may be able to do this, if not you need a BER Assessor or Engineer
    4.) Once planning permission is obtained, you would need detailed construction drawings from architect which detail the construction details for foundation, floor build up, roof construction, eaves details, window/door jam and head details, threshold details etc. Airtightness layer details etc. Costs could be few thousand here architect can advise you on these costs.
    5.) A detailed tender package would then be done up to send to contractors for pricing the build for you. Your Architect may be able to do this, if not a QS/Engineer would be required. Not too sure of costs here, you would need to price around or ask architect for guidance
    6.) Commencement Notice to be submitted to council before works start, cost approx 50euro.
    7.) Council Contribution Fees generally are required to be paid prior to commencing works. These fees also vary from council to council, but could be approx 10,000euro ballpark. You could check with local authority first at planning stage.

Generally start engaging Architects early to get a feel for costs. They can advise of their fees for planning drawings and detailed construction drawings, tender packages and provisional BER etc.

ESB, Water/sewerage and phone connections usually are early on outlays also, normally around foundation stage. ESB is approx 2,000euro, phone line is free I believe when setting up with Eir, could be wrong. Water/sewerage connections depends if your doing a well/septic tank or getting mains connected to watermain/sewers, Irish Water can advise of these mains connection costs.

Hope this helps you a bit, others on here will definitely be able to help with some idea of costs also.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭mike_2009

delfagio is spot on. I'd also add:
    legal costs to draw down mortgage from bank
    if you're using a bank you can't self certify so need to appoint an assigned certifier & a PSDP (Project supervisor design process) due to changes in legislation a few years ago, that will add a few K to your Architects bill so check....
    Have you already bought a site? If you have that can act as the mortgage deposit, otherwise you'll be expected to use your deposit first before drawing down the first mortgage tranche which is paid in arrears....i.e. / after foundation stage. See how that goes with your cash flow in getting a site etc!
    Self build insurance and a structural warranty is a few more thousand, the insurance covers you, don't rely on the builders, and the warranty will have their inspector on site a few times to ensure they are happy with the build which is good oversight
    Quantity surveyor is a good idea just to get a draft budget up front so you are realistic in what you can afford. You can pay them to manage the budget as well but that's up to you.
    Structural engineer - depends on build type, cantilevers etc - Architect might ask for one

The bank will only lend you sufficient money according to what you can afford to pay back (3.5 x salary) and it has to be enough to finish the house. My only tip is get an architect you like and get on with, understands your brief and charges a fixed fee, not a %. Then find a similarly good builder and you're half way there! And don't forget the windows and fancy kitchen!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DTMeath

Thank you so much delfagio and mike_2009 for all your info I really appreciate it.
    You have no idea how invaluable this information you posted here for me and helping me plan the build.
    I thought it was just a simple save up your deposit and the mortgage would cover the rest of the costs. How wrong was I!
    Looks like we will be saving for double the amount of time now!

Advertisement