Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2017 Graduates: Onwards and upwards!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I’ll be interested to see if it makes much difference to your paces when you input the new pb.

Yes, it makes some difference alright, i work off km but here are some examples

Very Easy pace was 7:52-7:19 now 7:40-7:09
    Easy Pace was 7:17-7:02 min/km now 7:07-6:52
    Tempo was 5:43-5:34 now 5:34-5:26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

That’s great, isn’t it. I’m looking forward to working away for a few weeks and doing a race of some sort to see how mine change too.

That’s great, isn’t it. I’m looking forward to working away for a few weeks and doing a race of some sort to see how mine change too.

10 seconds/km doesn't seem like much but i think that my tempo pace will def be more challenging now.

Have you anything shorter in the pipeline?

I've nothing now for a long time, May i'd say before i do anything else under 10m.

ariana` wrote: »
    10 seconds/km doesn't seem like much but i think that my tempo pace will def be more challenging now.

Have you anything shorter in the pipeline?

I've nothing now for a long time, May i'd say before i do anything else under 10m.

Not really anything planned at the moment besides Parkrun. Working Sundays makes me miss a lot of races that are on. I’ll keep an eye out though as i’ve 19 weeks to go until Cork and would be nice to see how I’m going at some stage before then. Parkrun is a good guideline too though not the easiest course out there.

Not really anything planned at the moment besides Parkrun. Working Sundays makes me miss a lot of races that are on. I’ll keep an eye out though as i’ve 19 weeks to go until Cork and would be nice to see how I’m going at some stage before then. Parkrun is a good guideline too though not the easiest course out there.
    It's probably even better that it's not the easiest course, when you do a flatter road 5k you'll blow it out of the water! It's great training to do week in week out. I hope to do it more from April-Sept when the rugby season is over. It's just too Wintry these Saturday mornings to be dragging my younger pair to stand on the sidelines of eldest's boys' training/matches, it's not fair on them :cool:

• Advertisement

Hopefully. Happy to keep my long runs on Wednesday’s for a while and do Parkrun when I can. My eldest has a birthday party to attend this Saturday at 11am, the first of his friends to have one, so that might scupper this week’s plans. I was wondering at what stage his social life would kick off and start to impact my running:cool:

Hopefully. Happy to keep my long runs on Wednesday’s for a while and do Parkrun when I can. My eldest has a birthday party to attend this Saturday at 11am, the first of his friends to have one, so that might scupper this week’s plans. I was wondering at what stage his social life would kick off and start to impact my running:cool:

It's relentless :cool:

How dare they have social lives, youth of today eh :P:pac:

Good luck everyone racing at the weekend in Raheny and Baby at your 5k as well. I'm dying to read all the reports :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Good luck everyone racing at the weekend in Raheny and Baby at your 5k as well. I'm dying to read all the reports :p

Reports? Is that what you want now? At least it's to be mild and dry even if a bit blustery. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Good luck to the Graduates on Sunday....and yes Sean reports are mandatory......ref your esteemed Novice leader WW for epic race reports!

• Advertisement

Good luck to the Graduates on Sunday....and yes Sean reports are mandatory......ref your esteemed Novice leader WW for epic race reports!

Epic is right. It takes some skill to make a race report take longer to read than the race itself took to be run!! I'm in awe!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Looking forward to this Raheny 5 I did it last year and started too far back and was difficult passing people , my 34.49 pb should fall unless I lose a leg between now and then. Good luck everyone running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Not sure about that one C, but thanks anyway!
    Unfortunately, I won't be around on Sunday, so I won't have another to concoct.

You have continued to progress at a rapid rate since DCM. Even if conditions aren't favourable, I expect to see lots of great results and reports! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Thanks Ariana, I am really hoping it goes well :) and my legs do not feel as tired as they did yesterday but I blame my self for that I forgot my watch on Tuesday night run and hubby had his so he set the pace which was a little faster esp after the trail run Sunday I was raging when we finished and looked at my phone. hopefully legs feel fresh on Sunday.

good luck to all running in Raheny

I’d love to be doing Raheny with all of you. Everybody will do great. Give it socks!

Baby75, those legs will loosen out just fine. A couple of strides thrown into your warm up and you’ll be sorted.

Also looking forward to the reports.

Wubble Wubble, I love the sense of competition in your reports ... who’s behind you and you know how far back they are depending on cheering etc. makes for great reading.

Skyblue, you are never short of a few words to say. No challenge at all to you to write a nice long report :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Can any experts give advice for nutrition on Sunday for those of us doing Raheny? I've never done a race so late in the day - 3pm! And I run very poorly (even more than usual!) unless there's a very decent gap between food and running. Was thinking of a big breakfast in the morning (8/9am), then nothing until after the race. Would that be advisable? Or a normal breakfast at 8/9am and a light lunch at 12/1pm, would that be better?

quickbeam wrote: »
    Can any experts give advice for nutrition on Sunday for those of us doing Raheny? I've never done a race so late in the day - 3pm! And I run very poorly (even more than usual!) unless there's a very decent gap between food and running. Was thinking of a big breakfast in the morning (8/9am), then nothing until after the race. Would that be advisable? Or a normal breakfast at 8/9am and a light lunch at 12/1pm, would that be better?

It’s an odd kind of time alright! I’d have lunch for sure at 12ish. You’ll have it well digested in 3 hours. Something you are used to eating though.

Your second plan is better. Don't eat much within 2 hours of the race start but it wouldn't be any help not to have eaten for 6 or 7 hours beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

I didn't notice the time until I read your post 3pm :( I don't remember it been that late last year anyway yeah that time sucks for me also I cannot run with food inside me.

I run home from work on a Thursday at 3pm and make sure I have breakfast at 9.30am as soon as I get to work , I don't eat then till after I run home and often feel a bit bonky with no food , I think I might eat breakfast at 8am and then a few belvita type biscuits at about 12-1pm.

At least we will have runger when we finish and smash down the treats in the goody bags.

Skyblue, you are never short of a few words to say. No challenge at all to you to write a nice long report :D

I'll have to get a GoPro soon and up it a level by posting a full length video report! :pac:

• Advertisement

I didn't notice the time until I read your post 3pm :( I don't remember it been that late last year anyway yeah that time sucks for me also I cannot run with food inside me.

I run home from work on a Thursday at 3pm and make sure I have breakfast at 9.30am as soon as I get to work , I don't eat then till after I run home and often feel a bit bonky with no food , I think I might eat breakfast at 8am and then a few belvita type biscuits at about 12-1pm.

At least we will have runger when we finish and smash down the treats in the goody bags.

I think a few of us are meeting up for a post race fizzy in the Station House if you're about. I'm sure a few more might confirm here if they're popping in for a few minutes. :)

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'll have to get a GoPro soon and up it a level by posting a full length video report! :pac:

:D I would watch that LOL

KellyGirl I will be doing a warm up and strides hoping they make the faster pace feel easier on the day

Was just looking at the stats on myruns today and my heart rate is so weird. I have a Garmin Fenix 5s so it’s a wrist monitor.

Warmup 2 miles slow with a couple of strides at the end Avg HR 148 ; Max 177
    Parkrun fairly fast for me Avg HR 144 ; max 154
    Cooldown 1.5 miles slow Avg HR 160; max 171

Why so much lower when I’m running faster and breathing quite heavily?

Looking at last week my HR was highest on the cooldown too but steady enough during warm up and the race.

Was just looking at the stats on myruns today and my heart rate is so weird. I have a Garmin Fenix 5s so it’s a wrist monitor.

Looking at last week my HR was highest on the cooldown too but steady enough during warm up and the race.

I have no clue about heart rate but this might help https://www.polar.com/blog/factors-affecting-running-heart-rate/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Kellygirl wrote:

Before you spend time going down the route of figuring out the science of heart rate and running, a buddy of mine has a heart rate of close to 140 on his easy runs. He ran a pb 5k today as fast as he has ever ran. Wrist heart rate monitor had him around 115.

I just don't trust those wrist monitors. So don't read too much into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I find when I run fast the strap moves a bit on my wrist so the HR measurement can be totally out. When you're going slow it's more likely to be accurate.

Well done to all who ran today in The Raheny 5 mile Great running can not wait to hear about it all

I had a good day as well got a new PB for my 5km 26.43 or 47 seconds gun and chip time are the same in race results for everyone one which is not correct as I started after the gun went off at the back pretty happy with my time last 5km was 29 minutes

Baby75 wrote: »
    Well done to all who ran today in The Raheny 5 mile Great running can not wait to hear about it all

I had a good day as well got a new PB for my 5km 26.43 or 47 seconds gun and chip time are the same in race results for everyone one which is not correct as I started after the gun went off at the back pretty happy with my time last 5km was 29 minutes

Huge congrats, N (again! :))!!!!! I'm dead chuffed for you.

Huge congrats, N (again! :))!!!!! I'm dead chuffed for you.

• Advertisement

It’s amazing to hear about all the PBs today - well deserved by all of you. Well done again!

Anyone know when the Irish Runner 5 mile will open for registration? Today's in Raheny was my first of that distance so I need another one to go for a PB :)

Also between now and September, June is the only month I'm missing a race and I was hanging out for this. Would be nice to complete the monthly set.

Anyone know when the Irish Runner 5 mile will open for registration? Today's in Raheny was my first of that distance so I need another one to go for a PB :)

Also between now and September, June is the only month I'm missing a race and I was hanging out for this. Would be nice to complete the monthly set.

Cork City Marathon is the 3rd June (also got a half in case you are saving yourself for DCM :) )

Great time today! The Terenure 5 mile is another good one to look out for. I think it is in May though.

Great time today! The Terenure 5 mile is another good one to look out for. I think it is in May though.

Positron twisted my arm (:P) to do the Boyne 10K in May, so that's that month sewn up :)

A huge thanks to WW for my shiny new PB today. I read his race report from last year and his reference to point 3 on Swashbucklers race report yesterday. I decided to ditch my usual conservative style. ��

• Advertisement

A huge thanks to WW for my shiny new PB today. I read his race report from last year and his reference to point 3 on Swashbucklers race report yesterday. I decided to ditch my usual conservative style. ��

All your own work Seán, so much so that you came out of it with a better PB than mine :D Going out strong certainly did the trick for you, congrats!

Now get cracking on the race report :pac:

Loads more brilliant results today. So proud of yis all :)

All your own work Seán, so much so that you came out of it with a better PB than mine :D Going out strong certainly did the trick for you, congrats!

Now get cracking on the race report :pac:

Loads more brilliant results today. So proud of yis all :)

The race report will be tomorrow. I'll be busy tonight looking up words in the dictionary that can adequately describe the world of pain and despair I was in leaving St Anne's with 800m to go!! :eek:

Honestly though it was great to see everyone do so well. Look after that Damo lad when he joins your club. Speedy and loves his running. Great kid :pac: Lazare, Clicker, Leesider and quickbeam all did great today too. I'm kinda proud of them all too. :D Baby in Carlow today and ariana last week also set PBs so it's been a great week all round.

Brilliant running everyone, really super! So proud of us all too, we're still here, we're still running, setting goals and achieving them whether it's PBs at shorter distances or back into marathon training, we rock :)

How is every one doing, very quite in here :D all busy running I hope

I have been working out my new training paces and have a question might be a silly one but sure I will ask anyway

I just wondered why in the plans we have at the start of the thread the easy runs are ran at a slower pace to the long runs
    As to when we where training in other plans like the ones for DCM has easy runs a little faster than LSR paces

is it anything to do that one is based on time on feet rather than distance covered

Baby75 wrote: »
    How is every one doing, very quite in here :D all busy running I hope

I have been working out my new training paces and have a question might be a silly one but sure I will ask anyway

I just wondered why in the plans we have at the start of the thread the easy runs are ran at a slower pace to the long runs
    As to when we where training in other plans like the ones for DCM has easy runs a little faster than LSR paces

is it anything to do that one is based on time on feet rather than distance covered

The novices plan was just to get us around. The grad plan is a step up from that. Running a long run at that pace the day after a session improves endurance apparently.

• Advertisement

Spoken like a Novice Mentor in the making!

The novices plan was just to get us around. The grad plan is a step up from that. Running a long run at that pace the day after a session improves endurance apparently.

Have you not got a pot to stir in some other thread C? :pac::pac:

Not in the slightest.
    Have you not got a pot to stir in some other thread C? :pac::pac:

Not in the slightest.

That was a great session of yours tonight. You can't be too far off being back where you should be?

Thanks Sean almost there now.....good month of training in Jan and good mileage (although not quite as much as you).

The 2 club sessions are actually quite low in mileage this week; step back weeks are important in the training cycle as well though.

Being brutally honest I am not a huge fan of the shorter track reps but what we don't like or are not good at are the sessions where we just have to be stubborn and get them done.

All roads leading to Bohermeen for you now or do you have anything lined up for Feb?

That was a great session of yours tonight. You can't be too far off being back where you should be?

All roads leading to Bohermeen for you now or do you have anything lined up for Feb?

Ah I'd like to fit in a 10k or 10 mile in a couple of weeks. Bohermeen is more to keep me on track with a plan during the winter, an extended base building plan! I'd get lazy without one.

I like your thinking... and might have mentioned elsewhere that I've been thinking along a similar line ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭Rossi7

ariana`;106020510
    I like your thinking... and might have mentioned elsewhere that I've been thinking along a similar line ;)

Can someone hurry up and decide to take the mantle :) long time lurker waiting patiently for the novices 2018 to begin. May / June can't come quick enough

Rossi7 wrote: »
    ariana`;106020510

Can someone hurry up and decide to take the mantle :) long time lurker waiting patiently for the novices 2018 to begin. May / June can't come quick enough

I think it will be May before that thread gets up and running. Are you in training already? No need to lurk, feel free to pop in here with any questions. You could start a training log too? :)

Rossi7 wrote: »
    ariana`;106020510

Can someone hurry up and decide to take the mantle :) long time lurker waiting patiently for the novices 2018 to begin. May / June can't come quick enough

Amazing levels of impatience here :pac:

Historically, the Novices threads haven't started till May at the earliest. A reminder; today is the first day of February :)

By the way, the mantle is offered to the new mentor....they don't "decide to take" it :p

Thank you all for your attention. Don't call us, etc etc :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement