Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2017 Graduates: Onwards and upwards!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I see someone paid the invoice to make evenings slightly longer.

If somebody could pay the heating bill now too that would be great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

How is everyone getting on it has gone very quiet in here

any races coming up soon

Baby75 wrote: »
    How is everyone getting on it has gone very quiet in here

any races coming up soon

Currently lying with heat at the physio. All good. Just a tune up really. My arm and shoulder were killing me in the pool but was tendinitis and sorted. She fixed up my usual issue with my pelvis and worked out my back and legs so will be in good shape.

My marathon plan had a 5km race in it this week and was going to try get a pb but physio has said maybe don’t go out all guns blazing this week after the physio treatment and just run fast and steady.

She also said she works on a guy who wins cross country events and his speed has come in no end from pool running once a week.

KellyGirl I went to physio last night my self I booked it for my hip which was better but decided I would go anyway for maintenance
    Sounds maybe like a good plan for your 5km race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Must be something in the water i was at the physio today too! And great news, he was happy with me, yipee!!! Everything is good - he told me to give him a shout in a month or so but i'm good to go til then. I've really enjoyed my last few runs and was feeling myself that the niggles were disappearing so it was nice to get confirmation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Currently lying with heat at the physio. All good. Just a tune up really. My arm and shoulder were killing me in the pool but was tendinitis and sorted. She fixed up my usual issue with my pelvis and worked out my back and legs so will be in good shape.

My marathon plan had a 5km race in it this week and was going to try get a pb but physio has said maybe don’t go out all guns blazing this week after the physio treatment and just run fast and steady.

She also said she works on a guy who wins cross country events and his speed has come in no end from pool running once a week.

Normally with treatment work I would say that you should be fine within 48-72 hours personally. Should be no issue with racing full whack at that stage (It's for this reason I tend to book clients pre marathon no later than Wednesday the week of DCM) unless you have an underlying issue that you are trying to resolve

ariana` wrote: »
    Must be something in the water i was at the physio today too! And great news, he was happy with me, yipee!!! Everything is good - he told me to give him a shout in a month or so but i'm good to go til then. I've really enjoyed my last few runs and was feeling myself that the niggles were disappearing so it was nice to get confirmation.

That is great Ariana I got a good report and the knee pain I had was from a tight QL but my quads/glutes and ankle are much better which is what I originally went to him with.

I do have some work to do, to prevent my QL getting tight again though but do not need to take time off running

Fantastic news Ariana. All your hard work is paying off.
    Normally with treatment work I would say that you should be fine within 48-72 hours personally. Should be no issue with racing full whack at that stage (It's for this reason I tend to book clients pre marathon no later than Wednesday the week of DCM) unless you have an underlying issue that you are trying to resolve

No underlying issues thank god. Thanks Testosterscone. I think i’ll see how i’m Feeling saturday morn. Will do a 2 mile warmup and see after that. Long shot to get a pb at Parkrun anyway I think but maybe if all the stars line up and there is no wind etc I might have a chance :D At the same time I’m constantly aware of AMK’s mantra for DCM - Keep the main thing the main thing!

That is great Ariana I got a good report and the knee pain I had was from a tight QL but my quads/glutes and ankle are much better which is what I originally went to him with.

I do have some work to do, to prevent my QL getting tight again though but do not need to take time off running

Great news for you too Baby. I need to keep up the s&c and foam rolling too but i know that myself. Funnily enough today my left glute was tighter, a sure sign of all the dedicated attention my right side has been getting!
    Fantastic news Ariana. All your hard work is paying off.

No underlying issues thank god. Thanks Testosterscone. I think i’ll see how i’m Feeling saturday morn. Will do a 2 mile warmup and see after that. Long shot to get a pb at Parkrun anyway I think but maybe if all the stars line up and there is no wind etc I might have a chance :DAt the same time I’m constantly aware of AMK’s mantra for DCM - Keep the main thing the main thing!
    Getting very sensible K :p

Good news from you too re. physio, no stopping us now :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Well, folks if you've 36k under the mattress, fancy 7 marathons in 7 days, do give this a bash! http://worldmarathonchallenge.com/

And a chap from Galway just won it a few days ago. https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/galway-man-wins-2018-world-marathon-challenge-running-7-marathons-in-7-days-on-7-continents-826926.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I'd find it easier to find the dosh than run the series. And I'd not find it at all easy to find the dosh!!!

Well, folks if you've 36k under the mattress, fancy 7 marathons in 7 days, do give this a bash! http://worldmarathonchallenge.com/

And a chap from Galway just won it a few days ago. https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/galway-man-wins-2018-world-marathon-challenge-running-7-marathons-in-7-days-on-7-continents-826926.html

He's an amazing athlete. What an achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Just want to share a really good video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC7Lh4opLsc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Amazing stuff, A! 100 miles, 36 hours works out at just under 7km pace, which is some going, considering all the walking stints (slower) and stopping stints they did. And on that terrain!! I can safely say it wouldn't be for me, but fair play to anyone who can do that.

positron wrote: »
    Just want to share a really good video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC7Lh4opLsc

When I opened that video it is one I started watching before, I love watching them glad I am not alone :D

Some hard going! walking backwards at the end OUCH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

How we all doing? Did my first long run yesterday since marathon it was unplanned just had some good music on the playlist and kept going just over half marathon and legs felt it , amazing how quick you lose the endurance when you stop running long runs. In hindsight I probably should of kept up the long runs even 10 miles every Sunday would of kept me in better shape.
    Has anyone maintained the long running?

How we all doing? Did my first long run yesterday since marathon it was unplanned just had some good music on the playlist and kept going just over half marathon and legs felt it , amazing how quick you lose the endurance when you stop running long runs. In hindsight I probably should of kept up the long runs even 10 miles every Sunday would of kept me in better shape.

Well done on the long run, I was doing great until January and slowly started increasing the distance again got a 22km in last week and legs did feel stiff afterwards not in my quads like before more back of my legs and glutes but I had a bath with espom salts and felt great afterwards worked a treat.
    I started a new plan for a marathon in about 4 months I dropped back to 12km yesterday for my LSR

I felt the 12km more during the run yesterday I felt good but legs felt tight esp the calfs but by the end, they felt much better and legs feel good today

Well done Clicker. I got back into the long runs at the end of December - the 31st literally :pac: So i've done about 7-8 of them now, I've kept them all around 1hr 45min - 1hr 55min. The pace has increased a bit as the weeks have gone on, what feels comfortable/easy now is slightly quicker than 8 weeks ago. For me i think long term i'd like to keep 90min-2hr going 3 weekends out of 4 so then could throw my hand at a HM or 10m at short notice. And if i decide to do another full i'll have a base there. But i did need a decent break from them after DCM too so i wouldn't beat yourself up about the break you took. You're a speedster anyhow so you plans might be different. Have you any goals at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Well done Clicker. I got back into the long runs at the end of December - the 31st literally :pac: So i've done about 7-8 of them now, I've kept them all around 1hr 45min - 1hr 55min. The pace has increased a bit as the weeks have gone on, what feels comfortable/easy now is slightly quicker than 8 weeks ago. For me i think long term i'd like to keep 90min-2hr going 3 weekends out of 4 so then could throw my hand at a HM or 10m at short notice. And if i decide to do another full i'll have a base there. But i did need a decent break from them after DCM too so i wouldn't beat yourself up about the break you took. You're a speedster anyhow so you plans might be different. Have you any goals at the moment?

Well done Ariana that's great dedication. I like the idea of keeping up to half marathon distance for the LSR . I originally was thinking of giving DCM a bash again but when I was looking at the calendar and filling in the dates I was like meh squash that it's too much 2 years in a row.

I really enjoy running but found last year I started to run when I didn't want to to get the required miles in. My plans are to continue to enjoy running and stay fit and healthy I'd like to run a 17:xx 5k and a sub 3 marathon but I think that will happen naturally and I'd rather enjoy the journey than obsess over it and push hard to make it happen this year or next year . I'd rather run 19 mins listening to some 90's dance classics chasing down an imaginary rival in Parkrun than line up and run 17 mins bursting my lungs and not enjoying it!

• Advertisement

Sounds great Clicker. I’m back up to 13 miles two weeks ago and have 15 miles to do this week. The main thing is enjoyment. For the most part I do like long runs and listening to the radio and having time to myself. You are right to do what you enjoy. DCM will be there every year and plenty of races to have fun with in between.

Trying to find a half marathon to do between now and the Cork City Marathon (3rd June). Tralee is on 18th March and Limerick is on the 6th May - just 4 weeks before Cork. Tralee is 11 weeks before Cork.

Would Limerick be too close to Cork to race it? The training plan has a step back week that week with a 10km race in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Trying to find a half marathon to do between now and the Cork City Marathon (3rd June). Tralee is on 18th March and Limerick is on the 6th May - just 4 weeks before Cork. Tralee is 11 weeks before Cork.

Would Limerick be too close to Cork to race it? The training plan has a step back week that week with a 10km race in it.

For me, yes, even 5 weeks is very close for racing flat out IMO although is the 'norm'. You could do it as an MP run / session though which could be far more beneficial. There's a massive difference on the body between racing 6 miles and racing 13.

Does the plan have a half scheduled into it at any stage? You could look at swapping out the weeks maybe?

For me, yes, even 5 weeks is very close for racing flat out IMO although is the 'norm'. You could do it as an MP run / session though which could be far more beneficial. There's a massive difference on the body between racing 6 miles and racing 13.

Does the plan have a half scheduled into it at any stage? You could look at swapping out the weeks maybe?

Thanks AGYR. Yes, the plan has a HM scheduled at 8 weeks to go. Problem is I work weekends so rarely available to do races and just happen to be off the 18th March and 6th May. Out of fairness to my family I think one is enough so wondering which one to do. Limerick at MP would be lovely 4 weeks before Cork and is that a better option in terms of training instead of racing the Tralee one with 11 weeks to go? I’m doing 15 miles and 16 miles this week and next week as LSRs so distance isn’t the issue.

Thanks AGYR. Yes, the plan has a HM scheduled at 8 weeks to go. Problem is I work weekends so rarely available to do races and just happen to be off the 18th March and 6th May. Out of fairness to my family I think one is enough so wondering which one to do. Limerick at MP would be lovely 4 weeks before Cork and is that a better option in terms of training instead of racing the Tralee one with 11 weeks to go? I’m doing 15 miles and 16 miles this week and next week as LSRs so distance isn’t the issue.

I guess it depends largely on the rest of your plan, have you been doing many MP sessions (sorry I'll head over to your log shortly and double check!!) but if you have been then the HM @ MP or partly MP could be a progression from that, if you haven't then that's a different story altogether.

Edit: I see you're doing Hal Higdon 3 which does include MP runs on a Thursday - the only thing that slightly concerns me is that they are 6/7 miles long and obvs the HM is 13, however, I would tentatively say that it could be a better idea to do it @ MP 4 weeks out, certainly it will do less damage than racing it full on 4 weeks out but someone wiser may come along shortly to correct all that! There's probably little point (or benefit) to running a HM 11 weeks out so whatever way you run it looks like Limerick is a better option.

I guess it depends largely on the rest of your plan, have you been doing many MP sessions (sorry I'll head over to your log shortly and double check!!) but if you have been then the HM @ MP or partly MP could be a progression from that, if you haven't then that's a different story altogether.

Edit: I see you're doing Hal Higdon 3 which does include MP runs on a Thursday - the only thing that slightly concerns me is that they are 6/7 miles long and obvs the HM is 13, however, I would tentatively say that it could be a better idea to do it @ MP 4 weeks out, certainly it will do less damage than racing it full on 4 weeks out but someone wiser may come along shortly to correct all that! There's probably little point (or benefit) to running a HM 11 weeks out so whatever way you run it looks like Limerick is a better option.

Perfect - i’ll aim for Limerick at MP so. Just have to double check with my husband that it suits but yeah - would be good to see how I last the pace out of interest. Thanks a mill for the advice.

Just to add that I try to do 4 runs in total each week, my lsr on wednesdays, a recovery run the next day nice and slow, the pace or tempo run that’s on a Thursday in the plan (I do on mondays) and the mid to long run I do on Saturdays often with parkrun in the middle so I add in a bit of speed there too.

• Advertisement

The only thing i would be wary about doing Limerick is if you think you will find it hard to stick to MP in a race setting, is there a risk of you getting carried away by the crowd/atmosphere of a race setting and end up 'racing' it all out?

The only thing i would be wary about doing Limerick is if you think you will find it hard to stick to MP in a race setting, is there a risk of you getting carried away by the crowd/atmosphere of a race setting and end up 'racing' it all out?

My only defense is that I stuck to the plan in Dublin and let them all run past me. But what i’d like to do is run it nice and steady and if feeling up to it then up the pace for the last 5 or 10km. Will see. I’ve a couple of others trying to convince me to do both Tralee and Limerick so i’ll have see how it goes down at home!

I had to go Page 3 to find us :pac:

Has anyone heard from El Caballo? I hope he's ok :confused:

HM on Saturday for me. Woke up this morning with aches in my legs, they feel so heavy and weary. I didn't do an LSR at the weekend, 30 steady early on Saturday morning, Sunday off, and yesterday a 60 min steady (with a few strides). Why the aches :eek: Plan for the rest of the week is 60 min easy pace tonight, Wed & Thurs OH is away so i've no choice but to rest and Friday 25-30 min with 3-4 strides to loosen out. Does this sound reasonable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I think his account is dead? I'm sure he'll be back at some stage :pac:

Singer wrote: »
    I think his account is dead? I'm sure he'll be back at some stage :pac:

I hope so :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Temperatures during the day on Thursday are expected to be between minus 2 and plus 2 degrees. There will be strong and gusty easterly winds which will give a wind chill as low as minus 10 at times. During the day there will be further scattered snow showers, which will become increasingly heavy and frequent. :eek:

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Temperatures during the day on Thursday are expected to be between minus 2 and plus 2 degrees. There will be strong and gusty easterly winds which will give a wind chill as low as minus 10 at times. During the day there will be further scattered snow showers, which will become increasingly heavy and frequent. :eek:

Better wear running tights and forget the shorts this week :cool:

HM on Saturday for me. Woke up this morning with aches in my legs, they feel so heavy and weary. I didn't do an LSR at the weekend, 30 steady early on Saturday morning, Sunday off, and yesterday a 60 min steady (with a few strides). Why the aches :eek: Plan for the rest of the week is 60 min easy pace tonight, Wed & Thurs OH is away so i've no choice but to rest and Friday 25-30 min with 3-4 strides to loosen out. Does this sound reasonable?

Strange. Maybe it’s like before DCM when there were mysterious injuries appearing out of nowhere (for me anyway - you genuinely had trouble).

Think your plan sounds fine. Nice and easy on Friday.

This weather isn’t looking good. I’ve 16 miles planned for tomorrow and just checked the forecast and looks like snow is due to start this evening. :(

Strange. Maybe it’s like before DCM when there were mysterious injuries appearing out of nowhere (for me anyway - you genuinely had trouble).

Think your plan sounds fine. Nice and easy on Friday.

This weather isn’t looking good. I’ve 16 miles planned for tomorrow and just checked the forecast and looks like snow is due to start this evening. :(

I hope it's ok for you tomorrow k. I think the East is to be worst effected so fingers crossed. It's a lovely day here today. Cold but sunny and bright and it doesn't even feel as cold as yesterday did.

Ariana, your plan sounds fine to me :D keep it really easy friday legs will be well able for your HM weather permitting! Once your legs are feeling ok now. I would not worry about them being a little achy no chance it is related to something else anot not running at all is it:cool:

Its my son's confirmation on Thursday :eek:

So El Caballo has left boards then, I hope all is ok

KellyGirl good luck getting out, I hope I can as well

Skyblue all you need is a hat , gloves, buff and..... trail runners :D:p sorted for a run thursday

Sounds perfect ariana, as Kellygirl said, nice & easy on Friday. I wouldn't overly worry about the aches (unless they're proper painful) if you have a foam roller give them a gentle roll today and tomorrow (but not after that). Take an epsom salt bath tonight if you can (but again not too close to Sat).

Sounds perfect ariana, as Kellygirl said, nice & easy on Friday. I wouldn't overly worry about the aches (unless they're proper painful) if you have a foam roller give them a gentle roll today and tomorrow (but not after that). Take an epsom salt bath tonight if you can (but again not too close to Sat).

I foam roll most nights watching tv at the end of the day but now that you mention it i've skipped 3-4 nights so that might explain the aches. I've had a few busy evenings with sick kids and haven't really had the usual end of the day down time :cool:

Thanks a mill everyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

I know RL was getting in the way however there are a few around keeping an eye on you guys making sure you are on the straight and narrow.

I am sure he will be back before long, or may even be right under our noses :cool:

Plan sounds sensible, don't worry too much if you miss a bit of time during the week just make sure Friday is very handy. Hay is in the barn at that stage so just do enough to wake the legs up and nothing more

Skyblue all you need is a hat , gloves, buff and..... trail runners :D:p sorted for a run thursday

I think shorts and a top might be needed too! :eek:

I can see myself having to lose my treadmill virginity...:rolleyes:

I am sure he will be back before long, or may even be right under our noses :cool:

I wonder are you thinking what I'm thinking? :pac:

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I think shorts and a top might be needed too! :eek:

I can see myself having to lose my treadmill virginity...:rolleyes:

If I have to resort to the treadmill I’m going to just do some interval type stuff on it. Last year when I started training and my PT had given me a plan he had me doing speed sessions weekly on it - things like 3 mins on and 1 min x 8 times or whatever. Made time pass quicker than a solid 32 mins. I must have a look at that plan again.

Looks like i’ll prob miss my Wednesday and Thursday runs this week realistically - 16 miles and a recovery - but next week was a step back to 10km so i’ll hopefully do 16 miles Saturday instead. I’m kind of tired at the moment anyway so might be no harm.

Is the snow gone for everybody? Who’s got out for a run??? Delighted to finally get back out today.

Is the snow gone for everybody? Who’s got out for a run??? Delighted to finally get back out today.

No running since Tuesday and I've been eating and drinking instead. Not losing any sleep over it. Hopefully get out tomorrow and get a few little runs in before Bohermeen.

I was lucky, not much snow and what was around, would not stop you running So I did get out but not yesterday I missed my long run thanks to a tummy bug feeling better today but no energy for a run :D maybe tomorrow or next day.

Glad you're feeling better N.

I lost my mojo a bit this week to be honest. Plans went asunder with the weather and while we weren't badly effected just the kids being off school was enough to throw my routine. Yesterday was totally runable but i just had no motivation to run, the HM which has kept me focused for the last 10 weeks was postponed with no new date announced i feel a bit lost.

Work are running a pilates class for the next 5 weeks so that starts today. And hopefully i'll find my running mojo tomorrow and get back on track. I just need a new goal to focus on and i'm not sure what that's going to be :confused: Still gutted about the HM though it was the right call obviously in the circumstances :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

Glad you're feeling better N.

I lost my mojo a bit this week to be honest. Plans went asunder with the weather and while we weren't badly effected just the kids being off school was enough to throw my routine. Yesterday was totally runable but i just had no motivation to run, the HM which has kept me focused for the last 10 weeks was postponed with no new date announced i feel a bit lost.

Work are running a pilates class for the next 5 weeks so that starts today. And hopefully i'll find my running mojo tomorrow and get back on track. I just need a new goal to focus on and i'm not sure what that's going to be :confused: Still gutted about the HM though it was the right call obviously in the circumstances :cool:

Something I've found that really helped over the last while for motivation is to have a long-term plan made up of all those short-term goals. Motivation can be so easy to lose when you miss out on something through injury/unforeseen circumstances that having something planned for after your next goal race can really help in my opinion. Last year for me went something like having Dublin marathon with the Waterford half 6 weeks later. I dnf'd in Dublin which would've been a perfect reason to lose motivation/direction in the past but having Waterford coming up after got me going straight away as I had something to aim for post marathon.

The same has been through this year, I originally planned to run the Limerick marathon in May but a 6 week spell of injuries meant I didn't have the training in to give it a shot but I'd already planned to run Berlin in September even before the injuries so I had direction in place.

Even if nothing goes wrong and you nail your goal race, I think having a plan of how you are going to build your year past your goal race can be really helpful in keeping that motivation high as you can seamlessly transition from one goal to the next without going "crap, my goal race is done and I don't know what to do now" as more often than not, it's not motivation that's lacking but more direction.

Thanks Safiri. It sounds like a good approach. Unfortunately I'm a bit like a child in a sweet shop at the moment :pac:

Thanks Safiri. It sounds like a good approach. Unfortunately I'm a bit like a child in a sweet shop at the moment :pac:

The youth of today!!! In my day we were just happy to get one sweet! :pac:

Glad you are feeling better N. Ariana, you have your 5 /10 km plan in mind but have you a race chosen?

• Advertisement

Glad you are feeling better N. Ariana, you have your 5 /10 km plan in mind but have you a race chosen?
    Hi K. Yeah i have a 5k race, there's one on May 9th (it's a Wednesday evening). I like evening races at that time of year as it can be warm in the middle of the day. There will be another one later in May or early June also but i don't know the date yet. So that's my target. May 9th is only 9 weeks already, so that might actual end up being a tune-up race.

Advertisement