Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2017 Graduates: Onwards and upwards!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

ariana` wrote: »
    We're a quiet bunch lately... obviously we're all too busy running ;)

Just giving this a bump up cos i wanted to have a gander at the plans attached.

Any plan catching your eye? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

All so busy running and doing great as well :D it is so great to see so many doing so well all the training is paying off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Any plan catching your eye? :)

The 5-10k is the most likely out of the Grads plans. I'm also looking at the McMillan's best 10k workout and contemplating building a plan around that. I like the idea of longer intervals. Might have to switch to miles though if i go that route :pac:
    Baby75 wrote: »
    All so busy running and doing great as well :D it is so great to see so many doing so well all the training is paying off
    It's fantastic isn't it! We're all making progress in various different ways too - keeps things interesting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

The 5-10k is the most likely out of the Grads plans. I'm also looking at the McMillan's best 10k workout and contemplating building a plan around that. I like the idea of longer intervals. Might have to switch to miles though if i go that route :pac:

If you don't have to convert to miles, I read somewhere recently that you can still set your workouts up in miles in Garmin Connect, even if your watch is in kms, and it will automatically convert to metric once you send it to your watch. I haven't checked how well this works in practice, but it might be worth having a play around with before you make the big switch ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Huzzah! wrote: »
    If you don't have to convert to miles, I read somewhere recently that you can still set your workouts up in miles in Garmin Connect, even if your watch is in kms, and it will automatically convert to metric once you send it to your watch. I haven't checked how well this works in practice, but it might be worth having a play around with before you make the big switch ;)

It works :D

The 5-10k is the most likely out of the Grads plans. I'm also looking at the McMillan's best 10k workout and contemplating building a plan around that. I like the idea of longer intervals.

I've started the Grads plan without really looking too closely at it. It's actually identical to the half plan for the first 6 weeks before switching the emphasis to faster work. I'll be more flexible this time around :pac:

I've started the Grads plan without really looking too closely at it. It's actually identical to the half plan for the first 6 weeks before switching the emphasis to faster work. I'll be more flexible this time around :pac:

Funnily i was looking at them and wondering was i losing my mind cos they looked the same... i obviously didn't go past the first 6 weeks :pac: I have done a few of the sessions off the early weeks (5 x 5min threshold & 6 x 3min CV) and they were no trouble. But I was missing the accumulated fatigue factor as i wasn't doing all the other runs. As it stands because i am limited in how many days i can run I'm swaying towards the McMillan - i think 1 monster session in combination with a long run and 2 easy runs might give me better gains. That's my train of thought anyhow but as always I'm open to advice or opinions?

Those McMillan sessions do look rather scary though, even starting off, 6 x 1m :eek:

Have you a target race(s) S?

Funnily i was looking at them and wondering was i losing my mind cos they looked the same... i obviously didn't go past the first 6 weeks :pac: I have done a few of the sessions off the early weeks (5 x 5min threshold & 6 x 3min CV) and they were no trouble. But I was missing the accumulated fatigue factor as i wasn't doing all the other runs. As it stands because i am limited in how many days i can run I'm swaying towards the McMillan - i think 1 monster session in combination with a long run and 2 easy runs might give me better gains. That's my train of thought anyhow but as always I'm open to advice or opinions?

Those McMillan sessions do look rather scary though, even starting off, 6 x 1m :eek:

Have you a target race(s) S?

I get what you mean about having limited days. On the flip side I'll be hoping to run for at least 6 days a week so 3 of them will be very easy, 2 sessions and 1 long easy paced run. I've seen some of the plans that others are using and have a wee bit of curiosity but at the same time I see no point in switching from something that worked for me. Having the author of the plan close at hand for advice and suggestions is a massive help too. :pac:

As for races I hope to do a good few but target will be Dunshaughlin 10k in June and the St Cocas 5k a few days later if the legs permit it. I'll do Donadea 10k on Saturday week as a tempo run and I'm hoping to do the Bob Heffernan as well. I'll probably keep my eyes open too as regards any possible refixing of the MSB 5k. It takes a bit of planning as I'm only off work on less than half of all weekends between now and October. Speaking of which it's time to get my ass in gear and get to work now! :rolleyes:

I get what you mean about having limited days. On the flip side I'll be hoping to run for at least 6 days a week so 3 of them will be very easy, 2 sessions and 1 long easy paced run. I've seen some of the plans that others are using and have a wee bit of curiosity but at the same time I see no point in switching from something that worked for me. Having the author of the plan close at hand for advice and suggestions is a massive help too. :pac:

As for races I hope to do a good few but target will be Dunshaughlin 10k in June and the St Cocas 5k a few days later if the legs permit it. I'll do Donadea 10k on Saturday week as a tempo run and I'm hoping to do the Bob Heffernan as well. I'll probably keep my eyes open too as regards any possible refixing of the MSB 5k. It takes a bit of planning as I'm only off work on less than half of all weekends between now and October. Speaking of which it's time to get my ass in gear and get to work now! :rolleyes:

I'd love to be able run 6 days S and if i was i'd follow those plans too but it's not viable at the moment. However this time last year i was running 3 days and getting a 4th day in occasionally, i am now consistently doing 4 and occasionally dropping in a 5th day so maybe 5 will become consistent eventually too - just for God's sake don't tell my other half my little plan :p

I think we're all lucky to have found this little haven. Looking forward to following your progress and seeing how those races go for you - PBs will be smashed no doubt ;)

• Advertisement

i think 1 monster session in combination with a long run and 2 easy runs might give me better gains. That's my train of thought anyhow but as always I'm open to advice or opinions?

?

I can stick my beak in and throw around opinions if you like?? :D

I've looked at the Graduate 5k-10k plan previously. And I'm also aware of the McMillian 10k plan too.

The Graduate plan has a really good mix. The Tuesday sessions really do build up your speed massively with a very nice mix of paces, hills etc. And also a very nice mix of paces either side of your race pace. The Saturday sessions build up your strength. Again with a big variety of sessions and paces.

The McMillian plan is ok but its fairly limited in my opinion. Alternating between race pace sessions and speed sessions is ok but theres nowhere near the variety of sessions.

I guessed I'm a bit biased for two reasons - Grad plan was created by my coach. lol. But also, that type of running and variety (in the Grad plan) is what I love. I tried McMillian and it didn't give me the gains that Testosterscones plan has - possibly due to the fact that there's a little too much self tweaking in the McMillian plan. But also the lack of variety I think.

Given you will only be running four days, why not try the Grad plan and make sure you do the two key sessions and the long run, plus one other run? OFF is an option on two of the days. Maybe just drop a third Easy day. I think you would see big gains from the Grad plan to be honest - moreso than McMillian.

I can stick my beak in and throw around opinions if you like?? :D

I've looked at the Graduate 5k-10k plan previously. And I'm also aware of the McMillian 10k plan too.

The Graduate plan has a really good mix. The Tuesday sessions really do build up your speed massively with a very nice mix of paces, hills etc. And also a very nice mix of paces either side of your race pace. The Saturday sessions build up your strength. Again with a big variety of sessions and paces.

The McMillian plan is ok but its fairly limited in my opinion. Alternating between race pace sessions and speed sessions is ok but theres nowhere near the variety of sessions.

I guessed I'm a bit biased for two reasons - Grad plan was created by my coach. lol. But also, that type of running and variety (in the Grad plan) is what I love. I tried McMillian and it didn't give me the gains that Testosterscones plan has - possibly due to the fact that there's a little too much self tweaking in the McMillian plan. But also the lack of variety I think.

Given you will only be running four days, why not try the Grad plan and make sure you do the two key sessions and the long run, plus one other run? OFF is an option on two of the days. Maybe just drop a third Easy day. I think you would see big gains from the Grad plan to be honest - moreso than McMillian.

I couldn't agree more and I have been singing it's praises from day one. Anyone who tried the half plan had excellent results. I think the paces suggested in conjunction with the plan were felt by a few to be too slow and that coloured perceptions of the plan.

skyblue46 wrote:
    I couldn't agree more and I have been singing it's praises from day one. Anyone who tried the half plan had excellent results. I think the paces suggested in conjunction with the plan were felt by a few to be too slow and that coloured perceptions of the plan.

Out of interest what paces in particular? because I looked again yesterday and I saw CV, AP, VO2max, threshold and tempo paces, all of which I find challenging in particular the first few. I'd be surprised if people thought anything on the sessions was too slow

Out of interest what paces in particular? because I looked again yesterday and I saw CV, AP, VO2max, threshold and tempo paces, all of which I find challenging in particular the first few. I'd be surprised if people thought anything on the sessions was too slow

It's not the sessions. It's the easy and very easy paces. To be honest I find it a hugely interesting subject and it has led to me doing an inordinate amount of Strava stalking to try to understand it. As a result I am totally convinced that the paces are accurate. If this topic gathers momentum I'll explain why! Hahahaha.

skyblue46 wrote:
    It's not the sessions. It's the easy and very easy paces. To be honest I find it a hugely interesting subject and it has led to me doing an inordinate amount of Strava stalking to try to understand it. As a result I am totally convinced that the paces are accurate. If this topic gathers momentum I'll explain why! Hahahaha.

Well from what I can see from T's plans the easy runs are designed to have you fresh for the priority sessions. But there are so many ways to approach running. I know plenty of people running much faster easy runs but a bunch of them are always injured too.
    I think anyone basing a choice of plan off the easy run paces is focusing on the wrong thing entirely. Look to the column beside the easy run and you'll see your challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

The plan (in particular the paces) is a hard sell no doubt. The reason for this is because it challenges the norm, however the norm has become the norm simply because it was simple and easily available so this is the information people learn and pass on which is why the same plans get recommended here over and over with testimonials and I felt this approach gave people an introduction into the variety to hopefully open them up to training which would be very much of the similar model to traditional coach training (with rise in numbers without rise in coaching this is not always exhibited in all clubs these days)

Most of these plans are designed with good intentions but often the material surrounding the plan often gets lost/ignored and the plans lose value. One great example of this is the Jack Daniels Running Formula book and it's training plans. Many people view this plan as extreme and hardcore but if you actually read the book and listen to the man speak in lectures you see that the plans are meant to be adapted down to suit your level.
    Our Lifestyles have changed since many of these plans were first devised, we are less active in general and as such our bodies aren't able to handle the training as well as we used to so the approach needs to be adopted and developed to get us to the point where we can handle the training laid out the way it is.

The pace thing is something that was drilled into me from my last coach (a 2.16 marathon guy) and re-iterated in current coach (2.14) they showed me that the easy days can be very easy without impacting aerobic development while also getting more out of the sessions as you are fresher. This is something that I saw the proof in as my easy run pace has probably slowed over a minute in the last 10 years on average despite my times coming down across every distance from 3k upwards significantly in that time. To this day despite all the improvements I look at my college paces and shudder at the thought of trying to sustain that despite the fact I am faster and fitter now. I couldn't understand why races didn't reflect my training times.

I also tend to have a relatively low injury risk in general and majority of the athletes I work with generally wouldn't have a very high injury risk history in the time I have been working with them (bar some notable exceptions recently unfortunately) I don't think this is a coincidence as the focus of the training tends to be towards benefits made from consistency.

Injury niggles and stagnation tend to be the biggest reason why runners lifespans (in the sport) can be limited. People bust there a$$ for a short term and burn out or get discouraged when improvements level off a bit. With the easier aerobic runs you are not investing so much mental effort while still seeing the gains. It becomes more sustainable and keeps people enjoying the sport long term

This is not a sales pitch for the plan as to be honest you need to buy into any approach you make so if you don't have confidence in the approach then it won't succeed no matter but hopefully gives a bit of insight into the thinking behind the plan.

• Advertisement

The plan (in particular the paces) is a hard sell no doubt. The reason for this is because it challenges the norm, however the norm has become the norm simply because it was simple and easily available so this is the information people learn and pass on which is why the same plans get recommended here over and over with testimonials and I felt this approach gave people an introduction into the variety to hopefully open them up to training which would be very much of the similar model to traditional coach training (with rise in numbers without rise in coaching this is not always exhibited in all clubs these days)

Most of these plans are designed with good intentions but often the material surrounding the plan often gets lost/ignored and the plans lose value. One great example of this is the Jack Daniels Running Formula book and it's training plans. Many people view this plan as extreme and hardcore but if you actually read the book and listen to the man speak in lectures you see that the plans are meant to be adapted down to suit your level.
    Our Lifestyles have changed since many of these plans were first devised, we are less active in general and as such our bodies aren't able to handle the training as well as we used to so the approach needs to be adopted and developed to get us to the point where we can handle the training laid out the way it is.

The pace thing is something that was drilled into me from my last coach (a 2.16 marathon guy) and re-iterated in current coach (2.14) they showed me that the easy days can be very easy without impacting aerobic development while also getting more out of the sessions as you are fresher. This is something that I saw the proof in as my easy run pace has probably slowed over a minute in the last 10 years on average despite my times coming down across every distance from 3k upwards significantly in that time. To this day despite all the improvements I look at my college paces and shudder at the thought of trying to sustain that despite the fact I am faster and fitter now. I couldn't understand why races didn't reflect my training times.

I also tend to have a relatively low injury risk in general and majority of the athletes I work with generally wouldn't have a very high injury risk history in the time I have been working with them (bar some notable exceptions recently unfortunately) I don't think this is a coincidence as the focus of the training tends to be towards benefits made from consistency.

Injury niggles and stagnation tend to be the biggest reason why runners lifespans (in the sport) can be limited. People bust there a$$ for a short term and burn out or get discouraged when improvements level off a bit. With the easier aerobic runs you are not investing so much mental effort while still seeing the gains. It becomes more sustainable and keeps people enjoying the sport long term

This is not a sales pitch for the plan as to be honest you need to buy into any approach you make so if you don't have confidence in the approach then it won't succeed no matter but hopefully gives a bit of insight into the thinking behind the plan.

Thanks for this. It's very informative. Just wondering if you have any idea why it seems that so many are resistant to the approach? Is it a simple case of individuals wanting to run as close to their fastest as often as they can?

I'm just prompted to ask this in light of advice given to someone who posted looking for advice in advance of an upcoming HM. The advice given was to run easy runs at a pace less than a minute slower than their planned race pace. Personally I would not be able to sustain that for long. Is the approach you have explained so well above an approach which is not agreed with by many coaches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

Thanks for this. It's very informative. Just wondering if you have any idea why it seems that so many are resistant to the approach? Is it a simple case of individuals wanting to run as close to their fastest as often as they can?

I'm just prompted to ask this in light of advice given to someone who posted looking for advice in advance of an upcoming HM. The advice given was to run easy runs at a pace less than a minute slower than their planned race pace. Personally I would not be able to sustain that for long. Is the approach you have explained so well above an approach which is not agreed with by many coaches?

Many coaches differ in their opinions on what is right but that also has to factor in the level and strengths of runners. For instance, having someone like Mo Farah go out and run so slowly most days will give him no stimulus at all, so he reguraly does long runs and general runs at 5:30 pace. Many kenyans may go out and start a run at 8-10 minute miles on recovery days(talking about 27 minute 10k guys here) but there training volume and workouts can be huge.

It is generally accepted that easy runs have to easy but as people progress and grow tolerance towards low intensity training, it may be time to introduce moderate paced runs or adding more mileage into their training to keep gaining that stimulus. High mileage guys in the 80's would have been running most of their base mileage between MP and MP+1min for instance as they would lose aerobic fitness by just running slowly due to already being able to easily tolerate slow running. This is just coming from the opposite side of the spectrum to show how things can change and how training needs to evolve as you get faster and stronger. The top high mileage guys are at one end and newer runners at the other and in between is kind of a mish mash of both.

There is a place for faster aerobic running in training but also for slow running. It just depends on where in training you are. i.e during base, you might have a few moderate days followed by an easy day or during specific training;one hard day might need two easy days.

It's not really that coaches don't agree on these, the vast majority do; it's that many runners who run hard every day have had no feedback from coaches in their life or the thirst for knowledge to go out and find information on it. The most intuitive thing to do when you have neither of these is that you only learn to run fast by running fast but this is one of those counterintuitive things and that is what causes resistance. I like to think of it a bit like someone who wants to learn how to swim, they dont/shouldn't just jump into an olympic size pool and start trashing it out; First they gotta work on the basics like feeling comfortable in the water, then learn basic technique and then gradually build up from there. It might not seem like it but those early basic things are what will make them faster down the road. Faster than the self-taught person who trashes out lengths of the pool everyday and is well ahead of the person who is learning the basics at first. Those short term early gains are addictive and the results will improve for a beginner no matter what they do so all the evidence nd results will point to thm doing the right thing in their own mind. It's extremely difficult to get through to a person who already has their beliefs set on a certain thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I’m only speaking for myself here as I’m not following Testosterscone’s plan. It’s not because I don’t believe in the approach or am resistant to it - I’d love to follow it but I feel I’d need to tweak it so much to fit into my availability and schedule that it may then not work for me. Therefore I went looking for a plan that seemed to work with the number of days I can run and am trying to apply what I’m learning on boards to that plan. I would be doing every run as fast as I could if it wasn’t for here. Yes I could certainly do runs slower but I only run 4 days a week so I don’t see the need to be super slow unless they are recovery runs or an extra run that I got to slot in the other day for example.

I don’t have the confidence to follow the plan when I can’t follow it exactly and I’m only confident doing the marathon by following a plan to the letter or as close as possible.

Yeah that all makes sense. It's one of the things I have developed a great interest in over the past year. I initially thought it was a case of doctors differing, patients dying but I now realize it's a case of patients self diagnosing and treating!

I understand your points about athletes at different levels and at different stages of training blocks.

Anyway I think I will just continue to read training logs, look at Strava and keep my opinions to myself before frustration drives me nuts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Everyone will have there own reasons for different approaches. Generally times like that might come from some running literature or coaching materials, run calculators. These aren't necessarily wrong and sometimes it's a case of intensity needing to rise due to volume or frequency being low.

The one thing I would say with reading running books etc is look at the background of the coach. Jack Daniels, Renato Canova or Steve Magness for an example come from background of US/Kenyan athletes. Many of these are full time (be it Collegiate athletes or Kenyan's) who generally would have good sleep patterns etc (not even taking into account that when looking at some of the elite athletes there might also be other enhanced recovery methods which are not always apparent, which is always worth bearing in mind when you are looking at what the elites are doing right as an example) . This plays a role on recovery

Likewise looking to the high mileage 70/80s marathon runners who were thrashing there runs. In the absence of social media, digital tv and constantly being switched on generally had better uninterrupted sleep patterns.

I definitely err on the side of caution with paces I prescribe. My own background is shift work and burning the candle at both ends which is why even though my paces would be alot slower than many running at my level I feel it works well for me. Many of the athletes I coach would tend to be Masters athletes so again recovery plays a role. The training volume tends to be high enough (even some of the runners I have at say the 4 hr marathon level) would be climbing to 40/50 miles with the view of long term development as such I feel that the cautious paces still provides benefits. You will see it with many of the newer athletes I coach even here are usually coming to me in an overtrained state and are generally tired. Despite the mileage usually actually increasing initially generally they tend to feel fresher after the first few weeks than they did when they started.

This also opens up to more frequent racing etc.

Faster paces usually see quick results but more often than not I find that those results either lead to unreal expectations of linear progression after initial benefits and as a result overreaching and ultimately overtraining in order to get more stimulus.

• Advertisement

Everyone will have there own reasons for different approaches. Generally times like that might come from some running literature or coaching materials, run calculators. These aren't necessarily wrong and sometimes it's a case of intensity needing to rise due to volume or frequency being low.

The one thing I would say with reading running books etc is look at the background of the coach. Jack Daniels, Renato Canova or Steve Magness for an example come from background of US/Kenyan athletes. Many of these are full time (be it Collegiate athletes or Kenyan's) who generally would have good sleep patterns etc (not even taking into account that when looking at some of the elite athletes there might also be other enhanced recovery methods which are not always apparent, which is always worth bearing in mind when you are looking at what the elites are doing right as an example) . This plays a role on recovery

Likewise looking to the high mileage 70/80s marathon runners who were thrashing there runs. In the absence of social media, digital tv and constantly being switched on generally had better uninterrupted sleep patterns.

I definitely err on the side of caution with paces I prescribe. My own background is shift work and burning the candle at both ends which is why even though my paces would be alot slower than many running at my level I feel it works well for me. Many of the athletes I coach would tend to be Masters athletes so again recovery plays a role. The training volume tends to be high enough (even some of the runners I have at say the 4 hr marathon level) would be climbing to 40/50 miles with the view of long term development as such I feel that the cautious paces still provides benefits. You will see it with many of the newer athletes I coach even here are usually coming to me in an overtrained state and are generally tired. Despite the mileage usually actually increasing initially generally they tend to feel fresher after the first few weeks than they did when they started.

This also opens up to more frequent racing etc.

Faster paces usually see quick results but more often than not I find that those results either lead to unreal expectations of linear progression after initial benefits and as a result overreaching and ultimately overtraining in order to get more stimulus.

Well as a shift working master, new to running, being only a tad under 4 hours and running 40/50 miles weekly I guess I tick most of the boxes!! That probably explains why I have been so taken by the plans....

Yeah that all makes sense. It's one of the things I have developed a great interest in over the past year. I initially thought it was a case of doctors differing, patients dying but I now realize it's a case of patients self diagnosing and treating!

I understand your points about athletes at different levels and at different stages of training blocks.

Anyway I think I will just continue to read training logs, look at Strava and keep my opinions to myself before frustration drives me nuts!

Keep asking S, we all learn then :)

I guess, depending on what pace calculator you use pace recommendations can vary so much sometimes!

for me, I like running my easy runs easy and LSR slow, but without doing any races lately and some of my runs on trails I just look like I am getting slower lol :D

Keep asking S, we all learn then :)

I guess, depending on what pace calculator you use pace recommendations can vary so much sometimes!

for me, I like running my easy runs easy and LSR slow, but without doing any races lately and some of my runs on trails I just look like I am getting slower lol :D

You're doing a huge amount between road runs, trails, spinning etc. You couldn't make it high intensity or you'd kill yourself! Haha

You're doing a huge amount between road runs, trails, spinning etc. You couldn't make it high intensity or you'd kill yourself! Haha

Especially considering the trails you ran the other day! You couldn’t approach them at speed!

true :)

I am feeling very inspired and motivated by all the success so far from others following the grad plans, I am looking forward to the end of may and using the plan for DCM anyone else going to!

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Especially considering the trails you ran the other day! You couldn’t approach them at speed!

No, you have to run by time rather than distance/pace on trails esp if they are technical

I am feeling very inspired and motivated by all the success so far from others following the grad plans, I am looking forward to the end of may and using the plan for DCM anyone else going to!

I'm going to use the grads plan. I know it won't suit some people as the long runs top out at distances they feel are too short. Then again I'll be doing it as an all or nothing run. Last year was just about getting around. No point in having that as the ambition again.

Once I’ve finished Cork I’d like to do the 5-10km plan for the summer though that would take too far into September so maybe i’ll do the base plan instead and then I’ll have to see what I can do. Kids summer holidays are going to scupper my plans big time I think!!

I'm going to use the grads plan. I know it won't suit some people as the long runs top out at distances they feel are too short. Then again I'll be doing it as an all or nothing run. Last year was just about getting around. No point in having that as the ambition again.

that did concern me, but others have had success and at least I can pick your brain ;)

I agree, last year for me it was all about getting around and finishing, it even turned out slower than I planned because I stuck with my hubby :) so this year I like to see what I can do and go for it.

Once I’ve finished Cork I’d like to do the 5-10km plan for the summer though that would take too far into September so maybe i’ll do the base plan instead and then I’ll have to see what I can do. Kids summer holidays are going to scupper my plans big time I think!!

are you doing DCM again :)

• Advertisement

that did concern me, but others have had success and at least I can pick your brain ;)

I agree, last year for me it was all about getting around and finishing, it even turned out slower than I planned because I stuck with my hubby :) so this year I like to see what I can do and go for it.

It's the go for it bit I like! I think of Lazare throwing himself over the line in pain to hit his target in last year's FD10, Omeceron and Browneyes in Bohermeen, Damo in some 5k races, Sheep getting a PB off very little training, Ariana chasing a time that she initially thought was out of reach.... that's just brilliant, getting out of the comfort zone.

Are you looking at the intermediate plan?

Are you looking at the intermediate plan?

No the beginner one :)

The long run is by time though right? So say for you it might be 18-20 miles whereas for some of us it might be more like 16 miles? I must have a proper look at it :eek:

The long run is by time though right? So say for you it might be 18-20 miles whereas for some of us it might be more like 16 miles? I must have a proper look at it :eek:

I think the session the day before is important and the pace will be a little faster for the long run compared to easy runs so I think it means you get the same benefits as running x miles ??

open to correction on that though :)

By then I'd be hoping to fit about 21 into the one and only 3 hour run... and trust the plan.
    I think the session the day before is important and the pace will be a little faster for the long run compared to easy runs so I think it means you get the same benefits as running x miles ??

Long runs will be easy paced most of the time. It is a cumulative thing where every day serves a purpose.

It’s not a session the day before the long run though in the Beginner plan - it’s a 60 min very easy so slower than the long run as you said above.

It’s not a session the day before the long run though in the Beginner plan - it’s a 60 min very easy so slower than the long run as you said above.

oops I was confusing myself the 5km -10km has a session on saturday sorry about that

oops I was confusing myself the 5km -10km has a session on saturday sorry about that

Been a while since I’d looked myself. The intermediate plan has the session the day before.

• Advertisement

Been a while since I’d looked myself. The intermediate plan has the session the day before.

The intermediate plan I have has a very easy run on the Saturday. Half and 5/10k plans have a session on the Saturday.

The intermediate plan I have has a very easy run on the Saturday. Half and 5/10k plans have a session on the Saturday.

Very true - must learn to read properly!

By then I'd be hoping to fit about 21 into the one and only 3 hour run... and trust the plan.

Long runs will be easy paced most of the time. It is a cumulative thing where every day serves a purpose.

The plan looks good, very doable. 5 days running and an optional 6th day recovery run, 2 very easy days and nice variety with the mid-week session and with the weekend runs - the variety in the long run appeals to me in particular.

However, I'd only barely cover 16 miles in 3 hrs at my current easy pace.

But from everything i read last year a 3 hr cut-off for the long run is the right approach - with diminishing returns going beyond that.

But even so it would be a big leap of faith for me to run a marathon with a longest long run of 16 miles and only done once at that.

Plenty of food for thought for sure :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Potential fellow travellers on the intermediate plan?

I'd be all over it. Really interesting looking. It'll be July before I have to decide anyway.

Did you use it last year TBO? I'd be interested to hear experiences of it. Sorry if i should already know, i read a lot of logs but my memory is atrocious :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I'd be all over it. Really interesting looking. It'll be July before I have to decide anyway.

Do you mean July before you decide on a plan to follow or July before you sign up? I wonder when it will sell out?

Do you mean July before you decide on a plan to follow or July before you sign up? I wonder when it will sell out?

Both!! Maybe I'd need to be a bit earlier to sign up. I'll keep my eyes on Facebook as the weeks pass by. There's no excuse for missing out. They give plenty of advance warnings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Did you use it last year TBO? I'd be interested to hear experiences of it. Sorry if i should already know, i read a lot of logs but my memory is atrocious :rolleyes:

Yep, used it for DCM last year. In taper now with it for Conn. Would recommend.

Yep, used it for DCM last year. In taper now with it for Conn. Would recommend.

I am reading your log with great interest, good luck in Conn :)

The Black oil: fantastic result in DCM17 :) and you where great following the plan

you had similar concerns about not reaching the 18 - 20 miler distance
    but Testosterscone explains it all :)

Ariana this should ease any concerns it has for me

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104742641&postcount=115

• Advertisement
Advertisement