Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2017 Graduates: Onwards and upwards!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Baby75 wrote: »
    The Black oil: fantastic result in DCM17 :) and you where great following the plan

you had similar concerns about not reaching the 18 - 20 miler distance
    but Testosterscone explains it all :)

Ariana this should ease any concerns it has for me

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104742641&postcount=115

I've never run a marathon, so probably shouldn't comment, but from what I've read, the long run topping out at three hours is bang on. It's a "feature" of the Hanson plans and I think Jack Daniels would limit the long run at even shorter. I suppose you build your endurance over all of the miles you run in training - not just the one you run on a Sunday.

If I'd a marathon under my belt, I'd definitely consider it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

The Black oil: fantastic result in DCM17 :) and you where great following the plan

you had similar concerns about not reaching the 18 - 20 miler distance
    but Testosterscone explains it all :)

Ariana this should ease any concerns it has for me

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104742641&postcount=115

Thanks N for the link.
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    I've never run a marathon, so probably shouldn't comment, but from what I've read, the long run topping out at three hours is bang on. It's a "feature" of the Hanson plans and I think Jack Daniels would limit the long run at even shorter. I suppose you build your endurance over all of the miles you run in training - not just the one you run on a Sunday.

If I'd a marathon under my belt, I'd definitely consider it.

Yeah, i remember reading up a bit last year and the diminishing returns after 3 hrs made a lot of sense to me even then, i know i posted a few times about my concerns going above 3 hrs and got knowledgeable responses explaining why we shouldn't but also when and why we do.

So despite any concerns I'm leaning very strongly towards the grads plan at the moment for DCM. The mix of paces in the long run really appeals to me - easy/moderate/tempo etc. And the mix of paces on Saturday's run - easy one week, moderate the next. The session and then the very easy runs... It all appeals to me if I'm honest. And more importantly i think it can fit into my life very nicely AND i think i am able for it :cool:

It will just require a small 'leap of faith' to trust the lack of distance on the long run.

I'm looking forward to reading TBO's log for further inspiration :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Cork marathon training all going to plan. Delighted to have done my 20 mile run today with relative ease. Went back and checked my 2 20 milers that I ran for DCM last year - both faster than today. I must be listening to somebody round here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Cork marathon training all going to plan. Delighted to have done my 20 mile run today with relative ease. Went back and checked my 2 20 milers that I ran for DCM last year - both faster than today. I must be listening to somebody round here :D

Safiri will be thrilled!!!!

From following you on Strava K, i think you're doing really brilliant. You're very consistent with your paces. I was looking back at my training for DCM last night and 8 weeks out (which is about where you are now i think?), i did 18m @ about 45 seconds/mile faster than your run yesterday and faster than my current long run pace :rolleyes: I actually got a HM PB on that run and Strava gave a relative effort level of 'Historic' :pac: Any wonder i was injured 4 weeks later :o. You're doing super, keep it up, we'll all be behind you in Cork.

ariana` wrote: »
    From following you on Strava K, i think you're doing really brilliant. You're very consistent with your paces. I was looking back at my training for DCM last night and 8 weeks out (which is about where you are now i think?), i did 18m @ about 45 seconds/mile faster than your run yesterday and faster than my current long run pace :rolleyes: I actually got a HM PB on that run and Strava gave a relative effort level of 'Historic' :pac: Any wonder i was injured 4 weeks later :o. You're doing super, keep it up, we'll all be behind you in Cork.

It’s hard to grasp the concept though. There is still a niggle in the back of my head when I look at my long run paces and think that on the day I need to increase it and sustain it and how can I really do that. Last year I was too afraid to really try it so just ran however I felt like doing and while I’m possibly still not slow enough some days it makes sense that you aren’t exhausted for the rest of the week now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Safiri will be thrilled!!!!

:pac:

I know I said something at the time which was probably a bit harsh and salt in the wound(apoligies for that btw) as you said but this is what I was hoping for by saying it:). You're always going to make mistakes, it's part of the process and it's great to see you guys learning from them. There's a lot of merit in the old saying that you learn more from failing than you do from winning and your first marathon serves a stepping stone to bigger and better things. Think the grads plan would be a good fit for you as well:)
    It’s hard to grasp the concept though. There is still a niggle in the back of my head when I look at my long run paces and think that on the day I need to increase it and sustain it and how can I really do that. Last year I was too afraid to really try it so just ran however I felt like doing and while I’m possibly still not slow enough some days it makes sense that you aren’t exhausted for the rest of the week now.

It's like a tube of toothpaste KG. When you squeeze the tube from the bottom, it still comes out the top. When you start squeezing it in the middle, you get less out of the tube and end up wrestling for the last bit. The bigger the base, the higher the peak can be.

Even if I say so myself I think that was a wonderful piece of deflection on my part! :):D:pac:

That's understandable too K. But stick with it, you're doing super and you're getting the best of advice from the experienced folk on here to back it up too ;)
    Safiri wrote: »
    :pac:

I know I said something at the time which was probably a bit harsh and salt in the wound(apoligies for that btw) as you said but this is what I was hoping for by saying it:). You're always going to make mistakes, it's part of the process and it's great to see you guys learning from them. There's a lot of merit in the old saying that you learn more from failing than you do from winning and your first marathon serves a stepping stone to bigger and better things. Think the grads plan would be a good fit for you as well:)

Thank you!

And fwiw there was never any hard feelings, maybe someday i'll be the one coming across as being a bit harsh to some novice on here but with the best of attentions also :)

Even if I say so myself I think that was a wonderful piece of deflection on my part! :):D:pac:

Very subtle S ;)

How’s everybody doing?

I’m wondering if anybody has any advice on tapering for the Limerick Half. It’s on Sunday week. I’m doing 20 miles this Wednesday and then I have 1.5 weeks until the half. My plan actually has 10km race scheduled into it with 2 x 8 mile runs during the week before that.

I was thinking of doing 8 miles on Saturday and then I’ll be able to get out about 3 more times before the race - Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday or Friday most likely. Any opinions on distance or speed?

The week after the Half is my last high mileage week then before tapering for Cork if that’s relevant.

• Advertisement

The last couple of weeks of the Grads HM plan certainly had me feeling sharp. It might be worth a look.

The last couple of weeks of the Grads HM plan certainly had me feeling sharp. It might be worth a look.

I did look at that and was wondering if the mileage is high enough 5 weeks out from Cork or do I need to worry about that? The 70 min long run will more or less fit with my 8 miles - well the 8 miles should take me much longer as shouldn’t be at pace :)

The 45 min runs would only be about 4 miles.

I did look at a few different plans to see including the DCM Boards plan and that has 3 and 4 mile runs too so maybe I’m just worrying for no reason :rolleyes:

I did look at that and was wondering if the mileage is high enough 5 weeks out from Cork or do I need to worry about that? The 70 min long run will more or less fit with my 8 miles - well the 8 miles should take me much longer as shouldn’t be at pace :)

The 45 min runs would only be about 4 miles.

I did look at a few different plans to see including the DCM Boards plan and that has 3 and 4 mile runs too so maybe I’m just worrying for no reason :rolleyes:

I wouldn't worry to be honest. It's a balancing act. I still have reservations about a flat out half on the novices plan 5 weeks before DCM as it involves a taper and recovery week which then only allows a week of training before the marathon taper begins. Your case is different as you're not a novice and have a great base. You could run a marathon at any time off your training.

I wouldn't worry to be honest. It's a balancing act. I still have reservations about a flat out half on the novices plan 5 weeks before DCM as it involves a taper and recovery week which then only allows a week of training before the marathon taper begins. Your case is different as you're not a novice and have a great base. You could run a marathon at any time off your training.

Yes I definitely agree with you there about the novices plan. I’d be worried about them coming back to the high mileage week after.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I’m over analyzing as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

With the New Novices DCM 18 thread up and running and some of our Graduates leading the New novices on the road to their first Marathon :D very excited for them.
    Now is the time to get this thread going again for us and for future Graduates
    I know many of us have or are doing DCM again this year and for most, it will be our second marathon we may have one on her 4th :D so no better time than now to choose our plans and start base building if we are not all ready.

I am recovering from Achilles Tendonitis and at the minute. I am following my Physio instructions and recovering well, he has me running 30 minutes per run this week & From Friday I will be able to increase the time on my feet.

My plan once fully recovered, is to start the base plan and on Friday I am going to do a core and cardio class but S&C will be starting next week on a Tuesday and Thursday onwards.

On which plan to use, I am leaning towards the beginner only because I do not think I will be up to running 40mpw by the time training starts.

So who is with me!
    Which plan are you leaning towards be it grads or another one :)

With the New Novices DCM 18 thread up and running and some of our Graduates leading the New novices on the road to their first Marathon :D very excited for them.
    Now is the time to get this thread going again for us and for future Graduates
    I know many of us have or are doing DCM again this year and for most, it will be our second marathon we may have one on her 4th :Dso no better time than now to choose our plans and start base building if we are not all ready.

I am recovering from Achilles Tendonitis and at the minute. I am following my Physio instructions and recovering well, he has me running 30 minutes per run this week & From Friday I will be able to increase the time on my feet.

My plan once fully recovered, is to start the base plan and on Friday I am going to do a core and cardio class but S&C will be starting next week on a Tuesday and Thursday onwards.

On which plan to use, I am leaning towards the beginner only because I do not think I will be up to running 40mpw by the time training starts.

So who is with me!
    Which plan are you leaning towards be it grads or another one :)

Or 5th by the time DCM comes along

Good call getting this thread going again. Once I’ve Cork done I’ll decide what plan I’ll do next. The HH Marathon 3 is suiting my lifestyle at the moment so as long as I get a good result in Cork I might just follow it again. I’ll see.

Or 5th by the time DCM comes along

Good call getting this thread going again. Once I’ve Cork done I’ll decide what plan I’ll do next. The HH Marathon 3 is suiting my lifestyle at the moment so as long as I get a good result in Cork I might just follow it again. I’ll see.

Ah yes Cork is your 4th now, isn't it :)

Ah yes Cork is your 4th now, isn't it :)

It is!

Another question is anyone going to work in any or all the race series this year?

Kellygirl some achievement when you think about it :) I really wanted to have another under my belt before DCM but I can wait till next year :)

• Advertisement

Another question is anyone going to work in any or all the race series this year?

Kellygirl some achievement when you think about it :) I really wanted to have another under my belt before DCM but I can wait till next year :)

You were flying it until the achilles kicked off and you are being incredibly patient. It can’t have been easy to give up The Burren. It will pay off. Any idea what caused that?

You were flying it until the achilles kicked off and you are being incredibly patient. It can’t have been easy to give up The Burren. It will pay off. Any idea what caused that?

My physio thought hills and spin bike ( an overzealous trainer who liked to turn up the tension on the bike) did not help, I was fine after my Maurice Mullins 25km it was a spin class a few days later had me scared and back to physio and when we went through my training he advised I stop going.

It was hard to let go, but I know this won't get better unless I follow my rehab I am just delighted I can run pain-free and stress-free, I miss the trails and longer distance but hey all in good time :)

Thanks Baby for getting this going again.

I spent a while today analaysing the Grads intermediate plan. I have a few thoughts on it.

1. With regards to the 40mpw minimum mileage, at my paces, the early weeks will be about 30-35mpw, so i wouldn't sweat it if you're not at 40mpw - but maybe i am being naive? I am at about 30-35mpw anyhow so i still have about 10 weeks to get to 40mpw.

2. There are no races built into the plan so i'd also have questions around how/when to build maybe a 10 mile or a HM just to guage target progress and to sharpen up racing skills.

3. The longest run is 3 hrs, for me this will be 16 miles, and there is also only 1 run of this length. Again, i understand the cumulative fatigue theory and ultra runners never run anywhere near the distance that they race but i suppose i'm still a little bit anxious of just 1 long run of 16m. Last year i think i did 2 x 16, 2 x 18 and 2 x 20. It'll be a giant leap of faith!

4. This is going to sound weird after my previous point but i actually like that the longest run is 3 hrs - i did read a good bit last year about diminishing returns and it made a lot of sense to me, still does! I know, i know i'm contradicting my last point here but it's an inner conflict i guess (more dithering Skyblue, sorry :o) - maybe if there were 2 x 3 hr runs or 3 x 3 hr even :confused:

But in summary I think overall it is very manageable, i like that it's only 14 weeks, i like the mix of sessions and paces throughout the week and throughout the plan. And most importantly i think i can fit it in with my life.

Sorry for the long waffly post :o Wait til i start analysing other plans, god help us all :pac:

Thanks Baby for getting this going again.

I spent a while today analaysing the Grads intermediate plan. I have a few thoughts on it.

2. There are no races built into the plan so i'd also have questions around how/when to build maybe a 10 mile or a HM just to guage target progress and to sharpen up racing skills.

I feel the same, I think I would have to add in a 10 miler or half into the plan, I am also hoping I can run a 10k or 10 miler prior to starting the training and using that for more accurate pacing

3. The longest run is 3 hrs, for me this will be 16 miles, and there is also only 1 run of this length. Again, i understand the cumulative fatigue theory and ultra runners never run anywhere near the distance that they race but i suppose i'm still a little bit anxious of just 1 long run of 16m. Last year i think i did 2 x 16, 2 x 18 and 2 x 20. It'll be a giant leap of faith!

4. This is going to sound weird after my previous point but i actually like that the longest run is 3 hrs - i did read a good bit last year about diminishing returns and it made a lot of sense to me, still does! I know, i know i'm contradicting my last point here but it's an inner conflict i guess (more dithering Skyblue, sorry :o) - maybe if there were 2 x 3 hr runs or 3 x 3 hr even :confused:

On points 3&4 I am feeling the same but I keep thinking others have completed it and the other plans and raced very well on the day. plus on race day you will cover more distance in less time so for you, in 3hours could see you at 19miles and you will only have another hour and x amount of minutes left to run the rest, which I think we can do and have already done so before.

Sorry for the long waffly post :o Wait til i start analysing other plans, god help us all :pac:

Stop, I am avoiding looking at any others :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Yes, will be doing all three in the pre-DCM race series. DCM itself is still tbd.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Yes, will be doing all three in the pre-DCM race series. DCM itself is still tbd.

Go on you know you want to :p

• Advertisement

quickbeam are you going to do the Irish 5 mile I am leaning towards that one as well :)

Got out for another run this evening a nice and easy one with a friend we walked ( she nearly killed me walking fast LOL) then ran and then walked again while chatting just a great run and when I finished I could not believe we had 4miles done :) even better leg feels great only soreness is from my exercises last night

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

No, got something else on around then, Clonee 10K I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Hello everyone, not been in this thread for a looong time. Is anyone doing the Searlait Twyang run in Castlecomer on Sunday? I'm signed up for the 10K, really only up to a 5k at the moment, but their using the 10k medal from last year for that one this year, and I've got it, so had to do the 10 instead.

muddypaws wrote: »
    Hello everyone, not been in this thread for a looong time. Is anyone doing the Searlait Twyang run in Castlecomer on Sunday? I'm signed up for the 10K, really only up to a 5k at the moment, but their using the 10k medal from last year for that one this year, and I've got it, so had to do the 10 instead.
    Hi muddypaws, how've you been? Any notion of attempting DCM again this year? No, not racing this weekend but best of luck with it, pop back and let us know how it went ;)

Hi muddypaws, how've you been? Any notion of attempting DCM again this year? No, not racing this weekend but best of luck with it, pop back and let us know how it went ;)

Hahaha never again. Except ....... A possible marathon in December that I've been asked to organise as part of an event across the UK and Ireland.

• Advertisement

Hi Muddypaws good to see you :) No I am not doing it myself loads I know are it is not far from me it is a nice spot I hope you enjoy :)

are you allowed share more info on the event you are helping to organise

Hi Muddypaws good to see you :) No I am not doing it myself loads I know are it is not far from me it is a nice spot I hope you enjoy :)

are you allowed share more info on the event you are helping to organise

There's a mad Scotsman called David Parry who is passionate about marathons and running with dogs, he retired a couple of years ago and now spends his time travelling around in his motorhome and organising events - real and virtual to get people out and moving, not necessarily running.

He wants events all over the UK and Ireland on 23rd December with different length runs (or walks), 5 people at each distance. 1 mile, 5K, 10K, 20K, 25K, 35K and 42.5K. He has medals, and the start times would be staggered so that people will finish at around the same time, marathon runners will go out first. So, because of this, it will be a loop, or loops, if we could find somewhere with a 5k loop and a 10k loop it would probably be the best option. Its not a race, so there won't be timing, it will rely on people using their GPS watch or phone to record it. He is hoping then to have one next year across the whole of Europe, and then worldwide. You do the run, then all have a glass of whisky, or in our case whiskey, a mince pie and head off for Christmas (unless you're driving of course). As its predominantly for canicross - but not exclusively, non dog runners are welcome - it will be off road, am wondering about Donadea forest in Kildare, or Lough Key forest park near Boyle.

He did a 24 hour challenge setting day last week, where he posted a different challenge every hour for 24 hours, and he did it all live, so stayed up to post them on FB. I'm doing 4 x 10k run/walks in 8 days for that one.

That sounds very interesting and I am sure you will find a great spot for it you will have to keep us posted about it :)

How is everyone else doing :)

Paces question
    I got out for a nice run this evening and made a conscious effort to slow down my pace, I walked for 10 minutes warm up, ran 47 minutes and walked 10 mins to cool down. I walked the warm up and cool down as to not overload my Achilles
    Paces :
    1 mile 11:54
    2 mile 12.03
    3 mile 11.54
    4mile 11.30

I know I probably should have re-checked before heading out just!

I actually thought I was on target for extra easy pace but double checking the paces for the Grad plans and my very easy pace per mile is 12:32 to 13:27 so nearly there, it might be hard hitting the 13.26 min mile pace that is close to fast walking pace. I did have a mini panic as I thought the paces where much slower and I would never be able to achieve them on less I walked them.:D
    I hope I have converted them into KM correctly

I plan on starting the Base plan Monday and restarting it before starting marathon training begins

Paces question
    I got out for a nice run this evening and made a conscious effort to slow down my pace, I walked for 10 minutes warm up, ran 47 minutes and walked 10 mins to cool down. I walked the warm up and cool down as to not overload my Achilles
    Paces :
    1 mile 11:54
    2 mile 12.03
    3 mile 11.54
    4mile 11.30

I know I probably should have re-checked before heading out just!

I actually thought I was on target for extra easy pace but double checking the paces for the Grad plans and my very easy pace per mile is 12:32 to 13:27 so nearly there, it might be hard hitting the 13.26 min mile pace that is close to fast walking pace. I did have a mini panic as I thought the paces where much slower and I would never be able to achieve them on less I walked them.:D
    I hope I have converted them into KM correctly

I plan on starting the Base plan Monday and restarting it before starting marathon training begins

So what's the question N?

So what's the question N?

I actually answered my own question writing it out, the first chart I looked at to convert the miles to KM, was wrong. So I had an OMG moment as 12.32 was in the 10 min pace per KM and 13.27 was 11 min pace per KM very slow and I do not think I would be able to run them! but I know better now. I only need to slow down a little more and I will be in the correct range. I used this one when I double checked https://runningtrainingplan.com/conversion_mphkph.php

I was also wondering if it is ok to start the base plan now and instead of the easy running on the two rest days if I can cycle instead

I actually answered my own question writing it out, the first chart I looked at to convert the miles to KM, was wrong. So I had an OMG moment as 12.32 was in the 10 min pace per KM and 13.27 was 11 min pace per KM very slow and I do not think I would be able to run them! but I know better now. I only need to slow down a little more and I will be in the correct range. I used this one when I double checked https://runningtrainingplan.com/conversion_mphkph.php

I was also wondering if it is ok to start the base plan now and instead of the easy running on the two rest days if I can cycle instead

Ok, I'll go full on Safiri style honesty here. If you want to run DCM for fun you can run your training runs at any pace you want, climb mountains, cycle or swim. You'll be fit enough to get around. If you want to do your best possible DCM time then you run. You train for DCM and make it your focus. No runners I know cycle to train and no cyclists run to train.

Ok, I'll go full on Safiri style honesty here. If you want to run DCM for fun you can run your training runs at any pace you want, climb mountains, cycle or swim. You'll be fit enough to get around. If you want to do your best possible DCM time then you run. You train for DCM and make it your focus. No runners I know cycle to train and no cyclists run to train.

Well now that told me :o:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Your first 3 miles above are my easy pace. My very easy is 12:15-13:09, usually 2-3 times a week, probably most commonly 12:30-48 or so. I rarely slow down to 13. LSRs are @ easy. I'm doing the base now in the gap until DCM training starts. Fairly used to the paces now, autopilot ish.

I presume what you are getting at N is trying to prevent injury to the achilles? Is that why you want to do the cycling? Perhaps ask the physio about the mileage? But, as it starts off with 45 mins very easy then hopefully that would be ok at the paces you mentioned above?

• Advertisement

Your first 3 miles above are my easy pace. My very easy is 12:15-13:09, usually 2-3 times a week, probably most commonly 12:30-48 or so. I rarely slow down to 13. LSRs are @ easy. I'm doing the base now in the gap until DCM training starts. Fairly used to the paces now, autopilot ish.

Thanks, Black Oil I have still a good bit of slowing down to do so, I used my 5km PB 26.47 from January to work out training paces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

Ok, I'll go full on Safiri style honesty here.

Believe me, you don't want to go down that road:pac:

I presume what you are getting at N is trying to prevent injury to the achilles? Is that why you want to do the cycling? Perhaps ask the physio about the mileage? But, as it starts off with 45 mins very easy then hopefully that would be ok at the paces you mentioned above?

Yep, I am afraid I will set it off again even though I am much better now! I need to slow down my paces further for the plan

Yep, I am afraid I will set it off again even though I am much better now! I need to slow down my paces further for the plan

I’d guess that it would be good to be doing the base plan successfully before settling into the marathon plan and hopefully the really easy paces will keep the achilles in check.

I’d guess that it would be good to be doing the base plan successfully before settling into the marathon plan and hopefully the really easy paces will keep the achilles in check.

The slower paces combined with S&C will help :)

Well now that told me :o:D

Haha. Ah no you know I'm a fan of lots of slow miles and don't do anything else. For looking after the Achilles try to get as much running as you can done on the flat and more importantly try to get some running in on grass.

Haha. Ah no you know I'm a fan of lots of slow miles and don't do anything else. For looking after the Achilles try to get as much running as you can done on the flat and more importantly try to get some running in on grass.

I can get out along the barrow it's grass my other half will come with me next week

Any advice on how to work in the race series into the plan I really wanted to the Irish 5 mile again and work in a 10 miler and HM before DCM

Any advice on how to work in the race series into the plan I really wanted to the Irish 5 mile again and work in a 10 miler and HM before DCM

I'm just going to use warm up, race and cooldown to replace the long runs on the weekends. If I do midweek races they will replace the session.

• Advertisement

I have a couple of questions about the grads plans for both HM and Marathon.

Firstly, my main running days that I’m guaranteed to have time to run and fit in long runs are Wednesday and Saturday mornings. I tend to do my LSRs on Wednesday’s. I can’t run the day before either of these due to work and family commitments. However I can generally run Monday and Thursday nights so there would be approx 36 hours between runs as opposed to 24 - would that be ok or does it make it pointless to try follow the plan if I tweak it that much?

Secondly, I’m doing Killarney HM on July 28th - that’s 8 weeks after Cork and I have a holiday slap bang in the middle. I’m not worried about the distance as plenty mileage in my legs but I will need recovery after Cork and then won’t get much running on hols so do I do part of the Grads HM plan or maybe the base plan to keep me ticking over or just stick to what I have been doing pretty much? My goal for Killarney is 1:55 which should be achievable at current fitness if I pace it properly but I wouldn’t mind following some form of the grads plan in practice for DCM if that makes sense?

Advertisement