Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2017 Graduates: Onwards and upwards!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

leesider77 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Loads of great posts to catch up on. Have the time as I’m in bed with the flu the past few days - have the energy to look at my phone now so that is progress :-) But no running or my strength exercises for past week which is frustrating. Was supposed to get an assessment from my Physio this week as well and see if I can up my distances a bit. Suppose I should just be patient and be thankful that I’m not dealing with anything too serious.

I’m doing the chi running course with cathriona mckiernan over 6 weeks and think it’s great so far. (This week was cancelled due to the flu so good timing for me) It’s amazing how a few minor things make a difference. Would recommend it if anyone was considering it.

I’m planning ahead and once I get the all clear from the Physio I really want to make an effort at getting a bit faster next year and also build a better base fitness going into the summer. Time is an issue for me so best I can fit in is 4 runs. So which ones do you think I should focus on from the plans? I’m not a speedster but think I have loads of room for improvement over half distance so am going to focus on this distance.

Finally, has anyone ran the Meath spring half. It’s two laps. Was thinking of signing up to give me something to aim for after Raheny.

I've heard good things about that half. It's also referred to as he Bohermeen half. I'm planning to do it. As for your 4 days running I'd think 2 sessions, the LSR and one other 60 minute easy run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

go to the Events forum and search for bohermeen half
    https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?subforums=1&forum=1254&query=bohermeen+half

(same with any race, there's lots of useful threads in Events)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I think that’s perfectly fine though. For some running is about racing, for others it’s about getting out of the house, for others meeting friends and having a chat, for others it’s to relieve stress etc etc. I remember reading articles about mindfulness running at one stage. No hard and fast rules for anybody. My only goal is miles at the moment and using my running time as a break and having a chat. I’m not following plan as not ready to yet. Do what makes you happy and don’t feel under pressure to follow a plan of sorts. Your plan can be to get out 4 times a week or whatever!

Great post KG!

Joining a club sounds like a great plan for what you want Quickbeam. This is a hobby after all so the most important thing is that you enjoy it and do it for your own reasons. No harm in keeping everyone updated and following on in this thread with your fellow graduates anyway and if you do come up with any questions along the way, I'm sure someone will be more than willing to help out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Aware have a 5k also the week after JB

Thanks for that lads, I'm off next Saturday (for the second time this year) so might vive the aware 5k a go instead of a Parkrun.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Thanks for that lads, I'm off next Saturday (for the second time this year) so might vive the aware 5k a go instead of a Parkrun.

Yeah it's worth looking at. I might do the 10k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

I've another question :)

How does joining a club and partaking in club runs/sessions work when you're following a plan :confused:

I've decided my goal is a half marathon in March and a 10km in April/May and another HM in June next year.

So for now i'm thinking the 10km-HM plan from the Graduates link. But I'm also debating joining a club. My local club does a track session once a week and some informal meet & runs on other evenings. It's the track session I'm most interested in but as far as i know it's not geared towards anything in particular other than from Aug-Oct he breaks the group into 2 - those doing Dublin and those not. I feel i'd really benefit from doing this type of session in a group though. So do i just swop out a session from the plan? Or is this defeating the purpose of the plan :confused:

I did all the training for DCM on my own and i don't think i could do it again, at least not right now, I'd like more sociable running :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

ariana` wrote: »
    I've another question :)

How does joining a club and partaking in club runs/sessions work when you're following a plan :confused:

I've decided my goal is a half marathon in March and a 10km in April/May and another HM in June next year.

So for now i'm thinking the 10km-HM plan from the Graduates link. But I'm also debating joining a club. My local club does a track session once a week and some informal meet & runs on other evenings. It's the track session I'm most interested in but as far as i know it's not geared towards anything in particular other than from Aug-Oct he breaks the group into 2 - those doing Dublin and those not. I feel i'd really benefit from doing this type of session in a group though. So do i just swop out a session from the plan? Or is this defeating the purpose of the plan :confused:

I did all the training for DCM on my own and i don't think i could do it again, at least not right now, I'd like more sociable running :cool:

I would say go for the club. You can swap in that session depending on what it is it could be similar stress to one on the plan. Talk to the coach tell them you aims and they may be able to tweak paces or recoveries.

Don't be afraid to be open to new ideas and the idea of a training group. It's one of the biggest things missing in Irish running these days to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Fair play to you guys getting out there running. I can't get the motivation to go run in that cold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Fair play to you guys getting out there running. I can't get the motivation to go run in that cold!

It is baltic out at the minute I am really feeling the cold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Good luck to the Graduates running the JB tomorrow...looks like the race limit could be reached as entries are strong.

Loads of tea and cakes back at the club also....Elf suit at the ready for me!

• Advertisement

I did a club session last night and i haven't lost as much speed as i thought despite not running anything faster than easy pace for the past 6 months. If anything i think i may have gained a bit of speed :confused:

So i'm expecting great things from you all of you racing JB tomorrow (no pressure :D). Ah no seriously best of luck, just think of the cake, HTFU or it might all be gone :p

Good luck to the Graduates running the JB tomorrow...looks like the race limit could be reached as entries are strong.

Is there a bag drop to bring bags from the start to the finish?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

You're marshaling, right? Do you know what position you'll be at so we can look out for you and give you a breathless nod as we pass?

I believe there is just a regular baggage area this year Sean. I will get confirmation on this though.
    skyblue46 wrote: »

Indeed marshalling duties for me tomorrow not 100% sure where yet as I said I will drop in if someone can't make it so I could be anywhere on the course.

Looks like the weather is going to be agreeable this year!

quickbeam wrote: »
    You're marshaling, right? Do you know what position you'll be at so we can look out for you and give you a breathless nod as we pass?

.Looks like the weather is going to be agreeable this year!

You guys have thought of everything!! Well done on arranging the weather :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

See some of ye tomorrow. 305. Don't think I'll make it to Ryan's though :rolleyes:

Hopefully you make the cake and tea at least....I will be looking out for you.

Might get closer to you than last year when I was trying to pass you in the home straight!
    See some of ye tomorrow. 305. Don't think I'll make it to Ryan's though :rolleyes:

Good luck tomorrow at the Jingle Bell :)

• Advertisement

Hi Sean just confirming that the baggage area will be at the start line so you can drop off/pick up bags there.

This is slighty OT (and it might turn into a rant :o) but I'm just wondering for those of you with young kids/minors how you manage to fit it all in and and how much is reasonable to expect of OH.

Before DCM i was only running 3 x per week and it wasn't really an issue. DCM was a one-off (ahem :p) which OH was totally in support of and in fairness he was great taking up some slack in the childcare department for the duration of that training plan. However now it's done and I constantly feel guilty about training. I really want to commit to s&c however i still want to run 3/4 times per week so am i asking too much or how do the rest of you balance everything.

To give an example this week

Monday: oldest had scouts so i went to the gym while he was there (no point driving home to turn around and go back to pick). OH at home with younger pair. I did bedtime routine when i got home.

Tues: oldest had karate so i did a 35 minute run and watched 25 mins of his class (he likes one of us there to see a bit). Again OH at home with younger pair. I was home in time for OH to go to his circuits class. I did bedtime routine.

Wed: My day off, i paid the childerminder to keep the toddler for 2 hours from 9-11am so i got to the gym without impacting OH or school going kids. I did after school homework etc and bedtime routine.

Thurs: I stayed in work late and went straight to track for session, I wasn't home til 8:15, OH did bedtime routine but i was home in time to say good night to 2 kids, toddler already gone to bed.

So then last night, i mentioned i'd be going to the gym today after work but that I'd be home by 6pm and he gives me grief cos i've done some form of training EVERY DAY this week. He's not wrong, but i try to do it with minimal impact on the family. But now all I feel is guilty :rolleyes:

OH has an early start to work every morning so he doesn't see the kids in the morning at all, i do all the morning routine before getting myself to work. I can't help feeling i do my share (and then some).

If only i could just quit the day job and go pro :pac:

Hi Sean just confirming that the baggage area will be at the start line so you can drop off/pick up bags there.

That's great to know. I hope I'll be able to struggle up the hill :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

This is slighty OT (and it might turn into a rant :o) but I'm just wondering for those of you with young kids/minors how you manage to fit it all in and and how much is reasonable to expect of OH.

Before DCM i was only running 3 x per week and it wasn't really an issue. DCM was a one-off (ahem :p) which OH was totally in support of and in fairness he was great taking up some slack in the childcare department for the duration of that training plan. However now it's done and I constantly feel guilty about training. I really want to commit to s&c however i still want to run 3/4 times per week so am i asking too much or how do the rest of you balance everything.

Monday: oldest had scouts so i went to the gym while he was there (no point driving home to turn around and go back to pick). OH at home with younger pair. I did bedtime routine when i got home.

Tues: oldest had karate so i did a 35 minute run and watched 25 mins of his class (he likes one of us there to see a bit). Again OH at home with younger pair. I was home in time for OH to go to his circuits class. I did bedtime routine.

Wed: My day off, i paid the childerminder to keep the toddler for 2 hours from 9-11am so i got to the gym without impacting OH or school going kids. I did after school homework etc and bedtime routine.

Thurs: I stayed in work late and went straight to track for session, I wasn't home til 8:15, OH did bedtime routine but i was home in time to say good night to 2 kids, toddler already gone to bed.

So then last night, i mentioned i'd be going to the gym today after work but that I'd be home by 6pm and he gives me grief cos i've done some form of training EVERY DAY this week. He's not wrong, but i try to do it with minimal impact on the family. But now all I feel is guilty :rolleyes:

OH has an early start to work every morning so he doesn't see the kids in the morning at all, i do all the morning routine before getting myself to work. I can't help feeling i do my share (and then some).

It's shocking when life gets in the way of the important stuff like running.

I don't have young children so am not as stuck timewise like most of you here but even so I do plan my runs around life . My other half doesn't drive so I'm her chauffer, if i'm going to be anywhere waiting more than an hour on her I will go prepared for a run. Running at lunchtime at work is also something to think about.

To be fair on partners, running is a very time consuming hobby which can have an impact on their free time too.

Now the good news by the time you're in you 50's your partner will probably be only too happy to see you heading out on yet another run.

Plenty of miles in the legs post marathon not a bother to you.....a coffee and cake back in the club before tackling the hill will boost the energy!
    That's great to know. I hope I'll be able to struggle up the hill :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Gutted I can't make it tomorrow, best of luck to ye all. PBs all around with that marathon training under the belt!!

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote: »
    It's shocking when life gets in the way of the important stuff like running.

I don't have young children so am not as stuck timewise like most of you here but even so I do plan my runs around life . My other half doesn't drive so I'm her chauffer, if i'm going to be anywhere waiting more than an hour on her I will go prepared for a run. Running at lunchtime at work is also something to think about.

To be fair on partners, running is a very time consuming hobby which can have an impact on their free time too.

Now the good news by the time you're in you 50's your partner will probably be only too happy to see you heading out on yet another run.

I hope i can still run when i'm in my 50s :cool:

Thank you for reminding me about lunch time. I need to look into it. There is a shower (yes singular for 120 employees :rolleyes:) and I'm not sure if it works or not but i'll investigate. I seem to spend my lunchtimes running errands but I'm sure with better organisation i could free up a couple of them and it'd be a way to get a few miles in and in daylight too which would be a bonus :)

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Gutted I can't make it tomorrow, best of luck to ye all. PBs all around with that marathon training under the belt!!

No pressure, eh?? :P

Plenty of miles in the legs post marathon not a bother to you.....a coffee and cake back in the club before tackling the hill will boost the energy!

Yeah I'm looking forward to the cake but I think I'll need some extra layers of clothing first! To celebrate the 3 in a row and my name on here I'll be running in the Dublin jersey tomorrow. I think that's why Roland Deschaine has bottled making an appearance :D

No pressure, eh?? :P

Nothing like a bit of pressure to make ye run a bit faster :p

Yeah I'm looking forward to the cake but I think I'll need some extra layers of clothing first! To celebrate the 3 in a row and my name on here I'll be running in the Dublin jersey tomorrow. I think that's why Roland Deschaine has bottled making an appearance :D

Jaysus here we go again :rolleyes:

So tell us, what time you going for? And no sandbagging allowed :p

• Advertisement

Jaysus here we go again :rolleyes:

So tell us, what time you going for? And no sandbagging allowed :p

Haha...well the legs haven't recovered from last week. The plan as such is 4:30, 4:30 and then see how fast I can tumble down the hill! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I hope i can still run when i'm in my 50s :cool:

Of course you will I was 49 when I started couch25k. Plenty of 50+ year olds posting here, I won't out them though, 50 is the new 20,

Haha...well the legs haven't recovered from last week. The plan as such is 4:30, 4:30 and then see how fast I can tumble down the hill! :pac:
    Good luck, I'll be looking forward to hearing how that plan works out ;)

Of course you will I was 49 when I started couch25k. Plenty of 50+ year olds posting here, I won't out them though, 50 is the new 20,

+1 to this! :D

Of course you will I was 49 when I started couch25k. Plenty of 50+ year olds posting here, 50 is the new 20,

Oh i know. I run regularly with 3 ladies who are 50+. It's my creaky body i doubt :o

Note to self.....keep an eye out for the lad in the Dublin jersey tomorrow.....no 80s style GAA shorts allowed though!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Hopefully see a few of you tomorrow so

I'm not really a Christmas-y person, but I have a red running top so plan to wear that as a sort of a semi-Christmas theme. You might not see it under the layers of running jackets though! I'm not sure how brave I'll be to discard them before the start. We'll see if our friendly neighbourhood elf comes through on his promise for good weather first.

And I apologise in advance if I don't recognise anyone I've already met. I've a notoriously bad memory for faces :(

Cloudy light winds and 7c not going to get much better than that.

Goodies delivered by Brogans Bakers for the finish line and entries almost full.....time to get the Bells Jingling!

I'm not really a Christmas-y person, but I have a red running top so plan to wear that as a sort of a semi-Christmas theme. You might not see it under the layers of running jackets though! I'm not sure how brave I'll be to discard them before the start. We'll see if our friendly neighbourhood elf comes through on his promise for good weather first.

And I apologise in advance if I don't recognise anyone I've already met. I've a notoriously bad memory for faces :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Very best of luck to all you guys racing tommorrow, Hope all goes well and most importantly, have a blast;)

• Advertisement

Baby75 wrote: »
    It is baltic out at the minute I am really feeling the cold

All the best for the half. Give it socks! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I think you are doing great to fit your runs in around the kids classes or whatever and I do think you are doing your share by the sounds of that. I always feel guilty too. I tend to do 4 runs a week, two at night generally when the kids are in bed though I don’t necessarily so the bedtime routine. I do everything else and getting everything ready for the morning and help dressing for bed etc but DH would read the story and put them to bed. Wednesday morning I have off so I always run then and Saturday morning is either Parkrun or long runs. I work Sundays so DH has the kids Saturday morn and all day Sunday - but then I have them all week. Just means we don’t have a family day as such.

That’s the only reason I said no more marathons after Dublin but of course I’d love to have another bash at Cork and of course then do Dublin again if I train for Cork :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck in JB tomorrow everybody and the half Baby.

Looking forward to hearing the reports. Parkrun for me but slowly as niggly throat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

If you asked me wife did I do any exercise this week she would probably say no but I've ran 39k and cycled 30k so far. I plan my running so it doesn't effect my wife and kids.

I work a 3 day week so does my wife so we don't have childcare. But if I worked 5 days it would make little difference to my training.

This week

Every Monday I drop the kids to School and play Golf with my retired father , running is secondary to every other hobby but I always think if I can't find an hour a day to run if I want then things are bad.

Tuesday dropped kids to school and go for an hours run 10k

Wednesday drove half way to work parked the car and ran the rest of the way to work , ran back to the car in the evening. 2 x 7km runs

Thursday cycled to work , at lunchtime put on running gear to go for a lunchtime 5km but it was raining so I skipped it.

Friday same as Wednesday 2 x 7km runs

Saturday I will get up early probably do 3k warm up then do parkrun kids swimming is at 10.30 i'll have there bags packed tonight and collect them straight after run .

Sunday I do whatever don't mention running or plan a run see how the land lies if we are doing nothing and kids are relaxing watching a film i might nip out midday but generally i'll head out after I put them to bed.

Try make it part of your commute , i'm aware things are harder for women (running late at night can be daunting for women and also showering issues with drying hair and what not , but if you can get a routine its worth it).

I don' t mention running at all I just organise myself have a little bag ready throw it in the car and drive to work park halfway or whatever, no need to tell the wife or even complain if/when i'm tired later. And be flexible I never feel guilty about missing a run its supposed to be fun if it starts to become a chore you'll not stick that long term.

Super running from lots of you this morning! Sorry I couldn't hang around for longer afterwards. Keep up the good work!

Plenty of PBS from what I have heard!

Good to finally catch up with a few of you....I hope you enjoyed the run this is biggest fundraiser in the club and everyone is appreciative of the support.

Enjoy your coffee/tea or something stronger out of your much coveted JB Mug!

That was a whole lotta fun!!!!!!! :D

Well done to you all running today looks like loads of PB's all round :D

I enjoyed the Waterford half but no PB a little gutted but I did get one at the gingerbread half well knocked about 20 seconds off my previous time! I found it hard going not sure what was up legs felt heavy and tired and the hills so many hills that lasted a long time LOL or at least it felt like I was climbing mountains :P

Good day though :)

Still only 5 weeks since DCM 😀 and your second half marathon since. I wouldn't be at all disappointed with that attempt ðŸ‘

• Advertisement

Still only 5 weeks since DCM �� and your second half marathon since. I wouldn't be at all disappointed with that attempt ðŸ‘

very true :) and I was delighted any niggles from DCM are gone :D

Advertisement