Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2017 Graduates: Onwards and upwards!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Some great times on Strava well done everyone , enjoy those pb beers or non pb beers or just beers if you didn’t run at all :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

So, the longest / furthest I've run so far post marathon is 9km / 1 hour.

I just did the maths, and I've a 10 mile in 7 weeks (Trim).

I'm trying to figure out the graduates training plan(s) and can't make heads or tails of it. Could somebody give me an idiots guide to a 7 week 10 mile training plan?

quickbeam wrote: »

I'm trying to figure out the graduates training plan(s) and can't make heads or tails of it. Could somebody give me an idiots guide to a 7 week 10 mile training plan?

D'oh! I can't count. It's 9 weeks until Trim.

Was thinking of using the DCM plan WK 1-9 (HH) that ends with the Frank Duffy. At least I know I can follow it as I've done it before. Stupid, crazy??

Given that you were already flagging with such long recoveries I would say that would be too big a jump try this the next three weeks

8x600 @ race pace with 2 min rec
    6x800 @ race pace with 2 min rec
    5x1k @ race pace with 2 min rec

Thanks for this , a late change of plan meant I gave this a go this morning , I was tired from running a close to pb effort at a tough parkrun on Saturday but I didn't give this first session enough respect , on paper it looked handy! And I wasn't sufficiently nervous starting out.

Boy was I wrong set the watch up to run 3.43-3.45 per km pace and after 2 sets I was already thinking how many I will allow myself to do before stopping , me and my messed up mind agreed on 5 been the minimum but I slogged on and got the 8 done , I jogged the 2 mins between each 600 . Is recovery supposed to be jog or standing still?

Splits (pace)
    2.13 (3.42) 2.12 (3.41) 2.15 (3.45) 2.13 (3.42) 2.15 (3.45) 2.14 (3.44) 2.15 (3.45) 2.07 (3.33) (last one fast one :D)

For anyone thinking of doing intervals that was a great session thanks again
    Testosterscone .Looking forward to the next two sessions now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

D'oh! I can't count. It's 9 weeks until Trim.

Was thinking of using the DCM plan WK 1-9 (HH) that ends with the Frank Duffy. At least I know I can follow it as I've done it before. Stupid, crazy??

Sounds like a good plan to me :) even though you have not run longer than an hour I doubt you have lost all the fitness you gained from Marathon training
    so you could add in some sessions to work on speed if you wanted, maybe :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Looks like there was some fantastic results over the weekend, great to see the training is paying off for you guys!

Hey Quickbeam,

I'll give a quick run through of the terms used in those plans later on, some of the jargon can be really confusing so I'll try my best to break it down in to a simplified form. I will say that the base plan there would be an excellent fit for you and we can make some modifications to it to fit how many days you want to run if you want.

For the workouts terms, if you are confused about them. You can use the calculator in the second post of this thread. Just plug in your 29:35 and click on the training pace header and it will give you pace ranges for those runs. I still think it would be good for everyone to gain an understanding of what these terms mean when you strip away the confusing jargon so I'll get to that later on when I have a bit of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Just a heads up the calculator that was used for this one was updated

Here is the new link

I've been considering the 10k-HM plans and just out of curiosity i put in a 5k time of 25:35 (my 5k is 24:36 but it's over 6 months old now) into this calculator. I plan to do a Parkrun next Saturday to get a more accurate/recent 5k time which i will then use. Anyhow, i can't get over the paces. Very Easy and Easy are both significantly slower than I've been running recovery runs and on the other hand AP looks like i pace i couldn't hold for 2 seconds never mind 2 minutes :eek: Definitely more variation of paces in these plans which really appeals to me i think but it remains to be seen what it's like in theory :cool:

Anyone else looking at this plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

ariana` wrote: »
    I've been considering the 10k-HM plans and just out of curiosity i put in a 5k time of 25:35 (my 5k is 24:36 but it's over 6 months old now) into this calculator. I plan to do a Parkrun next Saturday to get a more accurate/recent 5k time which i will then use. Anyhow, i can't get over the paces. Very Easy and Easy are both significantly slower than I've been running recovery runs and on the other hand AP looks like i pace i couldn't hold for 2 seconds never mind 2 minutes :eek: Definitely more variation of paces in these plans which really appeals to me i think but it remains to be seen what it's like in theory :cool:

AP stands for Aerobic Power ariana so around 3-5k pace.

I think you got confused with anearobic power which an all out sprint pretty much. That would be under the term AnP if it was in the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Yes I'm looking at it and had thought the same about the easy and very easy paces. There are a few comments re paces a couple of pages back. I'm convinced enough to at least try it. The easy runs will basically be recovery runs between sessions and also using the S in LSR properly on the long ones.

Posts 58 & 59 might help..... I'm sh1t at linking posts!!!

El Caballo wrote: »
    Hey Quickbeam,

I'll give a quick run through of the terms used in those plans later on, some of the jargon can be really confusing so I'll try my best to break it down in to a simplified form. I will say that the base plan there would be an excellent fit for you and we can make some modifications to it to fit how many days you want to run if you want.

For the workouts terms, if you are confused about them. You can use the calculator in the second post of this thread. Just plug in your 29:35 and click on the training pace header and it will give you pace ranges for those runs. I still think it would be good for everyone to gain an understanding of what these terms mean when you strip away the confusing jargon so I'll get to that later on when I have a bit of time.

Thanks. Definitions are a start, but I can't even figure out which plan to use. For 10 mile, for example, it would presumably be the one in the 10k-HM tab. But is it the full plan, or is it adjusted depending on whether you're doing 10K, 10 mile, or a HM??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

El Caballo wrote: »
    AP stands for Aerobic Power ariana so around 3-5k pace.

I think you got confused with anearobic power which an all out sprint pretty much. That would be under the term AnP if it was in the plan.

Correct. I tried to keep the plan fairly simple and free of Jargon as is the habit with many of these generic plans the plan gets shared but the original explanation seems to go missing (how many people read the books before the plans with Daniels and P and D) so this calculator put forward a simple type in the times and run the paces prescribed as such there is a bit that can get lost but to put it simply

AP in around 3k to 5k pace
    CV in around 40 min race pace (whether that be 4 mile or 12k depending on level)

There is nothing faster than 3k/5k paces on this plan bar strides

Easy day paces tend to come in at the slower end which I stand by but it's all dependent on how much mileage you are running the main thing is to be not running too hard on easy days that you would compromise the focus or risk illness/injury

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Yes I'm looking at it and had thought the same about the easy and very easy paces. There are a few comments re paces a couple of pages back. I'm convinced enough to at least try it. The easy runs will basically be recovery runs between sessions and also using the S in LSR properly on the long ones.

Posts 58 & 59 might help..... I'm sh1t at linking posts!!!

Both of which i thanked :rolleyes: Seriously my memory.... Are you still thinking of starting this plan? How does you JB time effect your paces?

Thanks for the explanation re AP El Cab & Testosterscone, my bad, haven't even started and I'm getting it wrong :P

Thanks. Definitions are a start, but I can't even figure out which plan to use. For 10 mile, for example, it would presumably be the one in the 10k-HM tab. But is it the full plan, or is it adjusted depending on whether you're doing 10K, 10 mile, or a HM??

I'm assuming that the plan is as is for tackling any of those distances. That is why I'm drawn to it to be honest. I don't intend training for 1 goal race, the way i did say for DCM, i'm hoping March/April/May i will take on 5-6 races in the various distances between and including 10km & HM.

Both of which i thanked :rolleyes: Seriously my memory.... Are you still thinking of starting this plan? How does you JB time effect your paces?

I started it today! 20 mins very easy. That'll be like a recovery run after the longer runs on the Sunday's. The JB time did change the paces but easy is still very much at the slower end of what I would previously have considered easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Just signed up to Aware 5k on Saturday in the PP, gutted I missed JB and need a race this side of christmas! :pac:

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Just signed up to Aware 5k on Saturday in the PP, gutted I missed JB and need a race this side of christmas! :pac:

3k indoors in blanch on Thursday
    Aware 5k Saturday
    Baseline 3k indoors athlone next Wednesday
    Streets of Wicklow 5k 26th December
    Clonliffe Christmas cracker 31st December

That's this side of 2018 sorted for ya haha

The plan is designed towards having you be a strong endurance based 10k runner and as such there is no reason you can't pull off a good half or 10 mile off it. I have done plenty of this type of training and managed pbs in quick succession over these distances

In relation to the hills sessions over the first few weeks...would they be suited to running up the Khyber in the Park?

In relation to the hills sessions over the first few weeks...would they be suited to running up the Khyber in the Park?

From the bollards at the car park at the bottom is perfect to be honest have used that a few times myself

Aim is in around 5k effort or a little quicker with good focus on form

From the bollards at the car park at the bottom is perfect to be honest have used that a few times myself

Aim is in around 5k effort or a little quicker with good focus on form

Haha...that should be interesting seeing as my 5k (in fact any distance) has been so lopsided in terms of effort...ie first half slow, second half ball busting! I'll use the average pace!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the explanation re AP El Cab & Testosterscone, my bad, haven't even started and I'm getting it wrong :P

I was just looking at your training log and there's no doubt you'll obliterate your 5k PB the next time you are DOMS free. Then you'll be working from a new set of training paces which will probably be a better fit.

I was just looking at your training log and there's no doubt you'll obliterate your 5k PB the next time you are DOMS free. Then you'll be working from a new set of training paces which will probably be a better fit.
    I hope so skyblue but the PB is off a notoriously (in these parts) flat/fast course so i think i might struggle to beat it on any other course :cool:

And of course that is if i'm ever DOMS free again, it's becoming the norm :pac:

I hope so skyblue but the PB is off a notoriously (in these parts) flat/fast course so i think i might struggle to beat it on any other course :cool:

And of course that is if i'm ever DOMS free again, it's becoming the norm :pac:

You will beat it, guaranteed!!:D When will you next get a chance to race a 5k?

You will beat it, guaranteed!!:D When will you next get a chance to race a 5k?
    Love your optimism. Nothing like a bit of pressure :p

But to be honest I don't know of any coming up near me in the next few months so it may have to wait.

Love your optimism. Nothing like a bit of pressure :p

But to be honest I don't know of any coming up near me in the next few months so it may have to wait.

Haha...it's realism, not optimism. All of the novices have shown improvements in PBs post marathon and with all the good training you got through there isn't a chance of you being the exception to the rule. So let the sandbagging end! :P:D

Haha...it's realism, not optimism. All of the novices have shown improvements in PBs post marathon and with all the good training you got through there isn't a chance of you being the exception to the rule. So let the sandbagging end! :P:D

Yes Sir :D

Just noticed the 'Marathon Improvers Thread' and the penny dropped that that's where we'd belong if we were to run another marathon!! I still can't f***ing believe i ran a marathon, mental really, a life long ambition completed just like that (well with a bit of training of course and a lot of blood, sweat and tears ... well ok not so much blood thankfully but it sounds good)!!

Next year at DCM Ariana :D and I agree with S you will smash your 5k PB :)

Skyblue, no way! mad they way we think sometimes that still a fantastic time :)

Looks like I am out of action for the week, The outside of my right knee was quite painful after the half on Saturday ( no issues while running) while it has improved I had a very busy morning walking around town and it was sore again I had to take some pain relief :mad: I am thinking it is my IT band so looking like a trip to physio next week

I had planned to start the graduate's plan today and was going to join in the club speed session and S&C tomorrow I am skipping spinning this week!

Baby75 wrote: »

Looks like I am out of action for the week, The outside of my right knee was quite painful after the half on Saturday ( no issues while running) while it has improved I had a very busy morning walking around town and it was sore again I had to take some pain relief :mad: I am thinking it is my IT band so looking like a trip to physio next week

I had planned to start the graduate's plan today and was going to join in the club speed session and S&C tomorrow I am skipping spinning this week!
    Oh no Baby75. It may be different but the knee pain i had was lateral as well and it was a combo of the ITB and the peroneals (which start at the outside of the foot/heel) and go up along the outside of the calf and into the knee. Both were very tender and sore when worked on in the weeks leading up to DCM. Weak muscles causing poor mechanics :rolleyes: Anyhow, sounds like physio might just be a good idea for you, get it sorted now while you've no major goal.

Thanks for the vote of confidence too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Ariana - with the times you posted on your log there is. I doubt that you are going to do a serious 5km pb somewhere.

Baby, hope that knee improves on.

I’m back to thinking I’ll do the full marathon on saturday. I know I’ve been changing my mind like the weather - which may be the thing to make me change my mind again but it’s looking ideal. I spoke to the organizers yesterday and no problem changing from the half on the morning and also I can do an early start at 8am so won’t be out all day. Planning on taking it easy and at a leisurely pace, walking at the energy stations to eat something and maybe the hills if needs be. Can’t run next week as husband away all week so a good way to get the miles done :-) The only thing I’d love is a partner in crime ... any takers? I was thinking would be good fun to do it with somebody and no time pressures!

Saw a couple of good pics of you on the sse airtricity marathon page.

Saw a couple of good pics of you on the sse airtricity marathon page.

Me ? :D I must look that up! did I have that silly smile on my face!! I had the same one on Saturday even though I was cursing the hilly route!

Me ? :D I must look that up! did I have that silly smile on my face!! I had the same one on Saturday even though I was cursing the hilly route!

Smiling and waving!! Aw it's a nice smile, though himself isn't looking in any way as happy as you!! Haha

Smiling and waving!! Aw it's a nice smile, though himself isn't looking in any way as happy as you!! Haha

Why thank you :D ah poor Hubby was suffering heat really got to him for once I was pulling him along

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Just noticed the 'Marathon Improvers Thread' and the penny dropped that that's where we'd belong if we were to run another marathon!! I still can't f***ing believe i ran a marathon, mental really, a life long ambition completed just like that (well with a bit of training of course and a lot of blood, sweat and tears ... well ok not so much blood thankfully but it sounds good)!!

As it happens, I was looking at the official video yesterday. The summary one, not the 7 hour stream. Brought back memories alright! :cool::o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMElISPQOA8

• Advertisement

Trying to create a pace band to keep me in check if I do the full in Clon on Saturday. In DCM I started out very conservatively - possibly too much seeing as I had a 7 minute negative split. Clon has major hills in the second half though so while i’m not overly worried about a time i’m going to aim for 4:30 but not quite sure how to pace it. I plan on really slow jogging if not walking up the hills so i’m hardly aiming for a negative split so do I go out faster than 4:30 pace in the 1st parts where it’s flat and downhill? Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Lazare

All going well I'm planning an early start tomorrow. Starting my 8 week plan for Raheny. Incorporating the McMillan 10k workouts into it. First one is 6x 1m at 10k pace with 3 to 4 mins recovery. As I'm a metric head I'm going to adjust it slightly to 6x 1.6k and 400m recovery. Will be easier to keep track of that way I think, always finishing on the .6.

Need to be on the road no later than 5:45am to make it work timewise.

Leabaland shortly so.

Lazare wrote: »
    All going well I'm planning an early start tomorrow. Starting my 8 week plan for Raheny. Incorporating the McMillan 10k workouts into it. First one is 6x 1m at 10k pace with 3 to 4 mins recovery. As I'm a metric head I'm going to adjust it slightly to 6x 1.6k and 400m recovery. Will be easier to keep track of that way I think, always finishing on the .6.

Leabaland shortly so.

Good luck with the new plan. I’m looking forward to choosing one in the new year.

Speaking of metrics - how did you find your paceband with mile markers and km paces for DCM?

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Trying to create a pace band to keep me in check if I do the full in Clon on Saturday. In DCM I started out very conservatively - possibly too much seeing as I had a 7 minute negative split. Clon has major hills in the second half though so while i’m not overly worried about a time i’m going to aim for 4:30 but not quite sure how to pace it. I plan on really slow jogging if not walking up the hills so i’m hardly aiming for a negative split so do I go out faster than 4:30 pace in the 1st parts where it’s flat and downhill? Any ideas?

After running the half on Saturday, if it were me I would hold back in the first half I would aim to take it very easy leaving loads in the tank to up the pace and run the second half faster, drop back the pace on the hills and enjoy the downhill making up time :) I love a hilly run for that reason do it right and you can still hit your target time. I would rather feel fresh and feel like I can push on in the last 10k than run the first half fast and then suffer the second half it's going to be harder anyway :) good luck though I would nearly be tempted to do it but not with this knee

edited to add, if you pace it right in the second half you can focus on runners ahead catching them settle in and then push on, this always gives me a mental boost to keep pushing

After running the half on Saturday, if it were me I would hold back in the first half I would aim to take it very easy leaving loads in the tank to up the pace and run the second half faster, drop back the pace on the hills and enjoy the downhill making up time :) I love a hilly run for that reason do it right and you can still hit your target time. I would rather feel fresh and feel like I can push on in the last 10k than run the first half fast and then suffer the second half it's going to be harder anyway :) good luck though I would nearly be tempted to do it but not with this knee

Thanks for that. Wondering whether to aim for 2:10 in the first half and 4:30 overall so that allows me plenty time to walk the hills if needs be. I def don’t want to suffer in the second half. I did the half two weeks ago in 2:03:54 and seriously comfortable so I think the 2:10 should be conservative enough considering mainly flat, couple of small climbs and some downhills.

I wish you could do it. Would just love to run this one with somebody. Normally i’m quite happy on my own stocking to my own pace but just doing this for a laugh more than anything.

• Advertisement

Good luck with the new plan. I’m looking forward to choosing one in the new year.

Speaking of metrics - how did you find your paceband with mile markers and km paces for DCM?

Thanks K.

Paceband with the mix of both worked a dream for me, it was invaluable. I had a couple of minor issues early on, in and around mile 4 where I got a little confused with it but soon got it sorted in my head.

It is strange that we had to invent it ourselves, and no such band was available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Ah so this is where all the cool kids are..!! :D

Thanks for this thread and the training plans in page 1. I was starting to feel a bit aimless since DCM and the half I did two weeks after DCM. Odd run here or there without anything to look forward to. I will read thru the thread once again and pick a decent plan to get on board with. My goals for next year is to stay fit enough to run a marathon and improve PBs. Fairly generic so. Definitely want to run Boyne 10k (May) and DCM 2018 (fingers crossed).

For motivation, I have signed up to the Drogheda & District AC's Christmas 5k on 17th Dec. My 5k PB from GT5K is around 24m20s or there abouts. No chance of bettering that as I err.. forgot to stop carbo-loading after DCM. Anyway, good to have one chipped run before the year is out.

Thanks for that. Wondering whether to aim for 2:10 in the first half and 4:30 overall so that allows me plenty time to walk the hills if needs be. I def don’t want to suffer in the second half. I did the half two weeks ago in 2:03:54 and seriously comfortable so I think the 2:10 should be conservative enough considering mainly flat, couple of small climbs and some downhills.

I wish you could do it. Would just love to run this one with somebody. Normally i’m quite happy on my own stocking to my own pace but just doing this for a laugh more than anything.

Whatever you do, go by feel keeping in mind what you have to face in the latter half, I find if I count down to say in a HM to the 15km or 10mile maker I can then push on with plenty in the tank and I am itching to go LOL well it worked for the Dublin and Gingerbread HM

I hope you slot in with some other runners on the day :) will they have pacers

Leabaland shortly so.

Good luck lazare , I've done this session before its really really tough (well was for me) I hate mile repeats they are relentless , 6 x 1mile at 10k pace ouch.
    My advice would be to start with shorter intervals if your new to speed work even 6 x 1km is a tough session.

One of the more experienced lads will probably tell me I'm wrong though , so take my advice with a pinch of salt , but don't get too down if your dead after 2 reps. it's a very hard workout.

Thanks K.

Paceband with the mix of both worked a dream for me, it was invaluable. I had a couple of minor issues early on, in and around mile 4 where I got a little confused with it but soon got it sorted in my head.

It is strange that we had to invent it ourselves, and no such band was available.

Perfect. Going to aim for that so as no km markers this Saturday. I was tempted to change my watch to miles but that might be way too confusing. Wish that program we used last time would work again and save me having to do it myself :-)

Welcome to this thread Positron. I’ve been carb (and sugar) loading non stop since DCM too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Leabaland shortly so.

Good to see u back Lazare, best of luck with the new plan.

Back running this week myself, foot is finally sorted so easy run tomorrow, run thursday, race Sat and hopefully a recovery on Sun :)

Whatever you do, go by feel keeping in mind what you have to face in the latter half, I find if I count down to say in a HM to the 15km or 10mile maker I can then push on with plenty in the tank and I am itching to go LOL well it worked for the Dublin and Gingerbread HM

I hope you slot in with some other runners on the day :) will they have pacers

No pacers. Also i’m going to start at 8am I think. They have two start times - official time is 9am. Slower runners and walkers go out at 8am but apparently some of the faster runners catch up too and some end up slowing down. I was afraid i’d be on my own.

Will def go by feel and start off slower. Plenty downhills too to make up for that and usually take me 2-3km to warm up anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Lazare wrote:

Is your plan to stretch out that 400m to 3 or 4mins? Don't make the mistake of shortening that 4mins! I've tried it. I learned the hard way!

No pacers. Also i’m going to start at 8am I think. They have two start times - official time is 9am. Slower runners and walkers go out at 8am but apparently some of the faster runners catch up too and some end up slowing down. I was afraid i’d be on my own.

Will def go by feel and start off slower. Plenty downhills too to make up for that and usually take me 2-3km to warm up anyway.

Do not get too caught up on a time, just in case the legs get tired quicker than you expect and you feel the lactate earlier than you expect which may make those hills feel harder than you like and the recovery of a downhill does not give you the speed you would like! I am just thinking of how I felt on Saturday which caught me by surprise as I was feeling great at the start and early on :) Hopefully, that will not be the case though :)

Yeah. That was tough.
    Got it done though. Posting about it in here helps lol.

• Advertisement
Advertisement